ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Florida Wachovia alert *****ATM*****
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:43 am 

I just found out yesterday that in the last two days thousands have been taken out of my checking, and the withdrawals were all done in Georgia (out of state). When I went to the talk to a teller to see what was going she informed me that they've had a bunch of people coming up to the branch and complaining about these out of state withdrawals, and one of the tellers even thinks that there's something wrong with their ATM.......that's encouraging, right? Somebody rigged an ATM or hacked into one of the databases........must be an inside job. I'll get my money back, but it's a pain to deal with this crap!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Florida Wachovia alert *****ATM*****
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:56 am 
tarawa wrote:
I just found out yesterday that in the last two days thousands have been taken out of my checking, and the withdrawals were all done in Georgia (out of state). When I went to the talk to a teller to see what was going she informed me that they've had a bunch of people coming up to the branch and complaining about these out of state withdrawals, and one of the tellers even thinks that there's something wrong with their ATM.......that's encouraging, right? Somebody rigged an ATM or hacked into one of the databases........must be an inside job. I'll get my money back, but it's a pain to deal with this crap!!!!!

It is due to database breaches from third party processers and skimmed cards, nothing to do with your bank. All banks are having this problem and Georgia appears to be a hotspot for fraudulent debit card use.

Did they buy gas or did they shop at WalMart/Home Depot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:57 am 
Also one more point, when you say withdrawals, did they use an ATM? I doubt it very seriously, no pin based transactions, just signature based.............correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:49 am 

According to the printout they were ATM withdrawals and one was an A-auth(??). I just came back from the branch and they informed me that it's been going on this last week. What they apparently didi is rig some machine and they placed a cardboard box with brochures on the side that had a camera mounted inside.....per the branch manager's exact words this morning! She told me not to worry...a bunch of people have been hit...a crapload!! But yes...they are ATM withdrawals, all $800, and the same with all the other victims.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:54 am 

oh........the places of business were Savannah mall Apache, Martinez (?). wrightsboro Augusta Ga., Ogeechee Savannah, BP station in Fayetteville NC. I know it will get resolved, but I'm settting up my own private investigation funded by me, and when I find these crooks they're all going to receive a tabasco enema and an Appalachian Mudslide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:39 am 
Your bank is going to suffer the loss, these people did not intentionally target you. Let the bank investigate, do not get yourself involved, these people are criminals and could hurt you. A word of advice is for you to check your account several times a day on the internet, this will help curtail any future fraud.

That is strange that they had your pin number, you still have your card in your possession right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:35 am 

Yes I do......it's still in my possession but it has been cancelled. But read my post; a lot of people have been hit with unauthorized ATM withdrawals in my town....the bank said that they received a ton of complaints. It's very easy to steal a pin...very easy!!! I explained to you how they did this scam...camera and everything. I'm not worried about anything at all....I'll get my money back and the bank an criminals will have to suffer the loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:38 am 

.....by the way......drive through ATM's are the most vulnerable from what I've heard. The criminals rigged like three machines in this area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:56 pm 
tarawa wrote:
Yes I do......it's still in my possession but it has been cancelled. But read my post; a lot of people have been hit with unauthorized ATM withdrawals in my town....the bank said that they received a ton of complaints. It's very easy to steal a pin...very easy!!! I explained to you how they did this scam...camera and everything. I'm not worried about anything at all....I'll get my money back and the bank an criminals will have to suffer the loss.

That is the point I was trying to convey to you, you are one saying you are financing a personal investigation. It is not worth your time or money.

Has your bank recovered any of the skimmers or the cameras? There should be video survelance of the devices being put into place and removed. If they do not have this footage they cannot be certain this was the point of breach. That camera and the skimmer has to be planted right at the point of contact with the ATM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:15 pm 

I was joking about my own investigation, but I am really pissed off!!! I hope they choke on the filet mignon they're eating with my hard earned money. I'm wondering if it will make the local news since the branch manager said that so many people have been hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:55 pm 
tarawa wrote:
I was joking about my own investigation, but I am really pissed off!!! I hope they choke on the filet mignon they're eating with my hard earned money. I'm wondering if it will make the local news since the branch manager said that so many people have been hit.

No it will not. The bank does not want it to get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 am 

armac wrote:
tarawa wrote:

I already contacted one TV station by way of email, and I expressed my indignation at the fact that the bank did not notify me, in addition to the other patrons, that there was a scam in the works involving a particular atm(s). Think about it; we're talking $800 withdrawals, a bunch of 'em, all made in Georgia in a short time span, and your telling me that the bank's fraud detection system is so abysmal it can't even detect this????? It's 2006 not 1976. Crazy. I know we'll get our money back but it's still a hassle knowing that someone got into your $hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:00 am 
tarawa wrote:
armac wrote:
tarawa wrote:

I already contacted one TV station by way of email, and I expressed my indignation at the fact that the bank did not notify me, in addition to the other patrons, that there was a scam in the works involving a particular atm(s). Think about it; we're talking $800 withdrawals, a bunch of 'em, all made in Georgia in a short time span, and your telling me that the bank's fraud detection system is so abysmal it can't even detect this????? It's 2006 not 1976. Crazy. I know we'll get our money back but it's still a hassle knowing that someone got into your $hit.

Up until a year ago debit card fraud was not an issue, there was no monitoring system set up to look at unusual transactions. Nobody looked at your transactions unless you called their attention to it. With the fraud that we are seeing now, there are monitoring systems being developed. Most of our problems happen over the weekend, it is hard to catch these problems, let alone get in touch with our customers over the weekend.

Sorry you had problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 am 

Wachovia got me my money back the next day !!! They said that I was a victim of an ongoing fraud ring, and the secret service and local law enforcement agencies are hot on their trail.