ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And yet another scam....WATCH OUT!!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:49 pm 

Mine recently came via snail-mail. Unfortunately I was the victim in this. Thankfully enough I have kept everything from it, and have the documentation to throw those SOB's in jail. However, I am out of the money that I had lost due to this scam.

This is the exact letter I got. Boy do I feel like a fool for thinking I won it.

GLOBAL FINANCIAL TRUST INC.
2040 HIGHWAY # 7
WOODBRIDGE, ON.
L4L 1T4
TEL: 1-905-598-2220

DEAR (it did same my name on it) May 4th. 2006

YOUR CLAIM NUMBER TDR-075-6894-WZ

FINAL NOTICE

We are pleased to advise you that you are one of the winners in the second category of Lottery held on April 13th, 2006.

Your ticket with the serial number 70753210FT drew the lucky winnings numbers 9-11-24-30-44-49.

You are therefore entitled to the sum of US $275,000 payable to you by bank draft, certified check, or money order.

Enclosed is a check of US $3,800.00 which was deducted from your winnings.

The purpose of this check is for the payment of Non Resident Government Service (GST) Payable in Canada.

The tax amount is $2,850.00 to be paid by MONEY GRAM

You are therefore advised to immediately contact your assigned claims agent KELVIN LAROWSKI
At Tel:1-905-598-2220, to activate your check before you cash or deposit with your bank, and for further instructions on how to claim your big winnings.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly,
Lydia Brown ( Promotions Manager )

Post subject: More info on it....
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:28 pm 

I have already contacted Phone Busters, my Attorney General, and our local FBI. Thankfully enough I have everything from this, from reciepts, to names, numbers, etc. The Bank had told me also that the check would clear in 24 hrs, so now I'm all upset otherwise I would have left that check in there 2 wks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:26 pm 

sounds exactly like what happened to us. did you have to western union your money to them? I feel so stupid for having fallen for the scam that I did a few months back. also a canada lottery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 pm 

Well, I got a similar letter last year, same address but from Capital Finacial trust inc. (note misspelling of financial). Same ticket s/n etc.
Obviously I thought it was a scam but I called the phone number and my 'claim agent' Brian Degrawski said he had activated my check. He asked none of the questions I would have expected from ID thieves. No mention of SS#... then I assumed it was an attempt to get me to lay out money on an uncleared cashier's check...
So I'm thinking ok, here's a cashier's check made out to me and drawn on a US bank with a branch up the block..
So, I go to the bank, provide myriad proofs of ID and, after 15 nervewracking minutes (half expecting FEDS or treasury officials to swoop down on me).. the Bank rep comes out of the vault area and GIVES ME THE $3800 in CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I put it in the bank since I needed it desperately and had no intention of sending a moneygram to anyone. I was floored that the check was cashed. I figured, ok, if it wasn't some phishing scam, it must be some attempt to launder money for terrorists or criminals. I had a voice mail message from the woman who helped me at the bank. I didn't return it. Never heard another thing about it.
I figured, ok..if the FBI shows up, I have the letter/envelope, the fait accompli that the check was cashed and the worst that could happen is I'd have to return the money and cooperate with some investigation, failing that, I'd declare it in my 07 return. Of course, every so often the wife and I would wonder if there really was $175,000 (less 3800) awaiting me in Canada. However, we were never going to spend $2800 to find out.
Having googled an email scam this morning, I got the letter out and googled the ticket #, which brought me here. I don't know if my experience was unique. Obviously people did get scammed. I guess I got lucky. Score one for the good guys.. those funds came in very handy and at a perfect time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:51 pm 

unfortunately morgan, you probably ended up scamming someone by keeping the money. it had to come from somewhere right??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:39 pm 

melanie30 wrote:
unfortunately morgan, you probably ended up scamming someone by keeping the money. it had to come from somewhere right??

Well, with all due respect Melanie, I didn't 'scam' anyone. I took a check, made out to me to a bank upon which it was drawn. The burden was on the bank to authenticate the check, validate the sender, routing # etc. before cashing it. I assumed the bank confirmed the funds before issuing the check. it's not like I forged a check or took money from some poor soul's account, as your tone implies. Since the check was valid enough to have been cashed, I assumed that even if there was a scam in play, that the perpetrators spent money to get it off the ground and keep it going long enough to receive funds. If I benefitted from that, who am I to question the cosmic accountants who usually screw me royally? I've certainly been scammed enough time. Usually by supposedly legit businesses and the government. For all the times I've been double-billed, short-changed, been screwed out of fees, for every time AOL billed me after my authorization was revoked, and hundreds of other inequities, I was due.
You want 'fair'? talk to my kids, so do they. I'd like to know where this FIR is and how I can get tickets :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

This sounds much like the story of Patick Combs, who deposited a "junk mail" check and the bank credited his account!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Combs

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch