ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thieves Steal Personal Data of 26.5M Vets!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 pm 

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Thieves took sensitive personal information on 26.5 million U.S. veterans, including Social Security numbers and birth dates, after a Veterans Affairs employee improperly brought the material home, the government said Monday.

The information involved mainly those veterans who served and have been discharged since 1975, said VA Secretary Jim Nicholson. Data of veterans discharged before 1975 who submitted claims to the agency may have been included.

Read more here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VETERANS_DISK?SITE=RIWOO&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

Information for veterans suspecting identity theft:

http://www.firstgov.gov or 1-800-FED-INFO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:56 am 
They stole a laptop, they would have no idea what was on the disks if the media could keep it's mouth shut.

The media has now made that disk very valuable.

Post subject: VA Data Theft Update
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:29 am 

It now appears the stolen computer contained information belonging to active duty personnel. This now puts the families of those serving at risk.
Quote:
Another worry is that the information could reach foreign governments and their intelligence services or other hostile forces, allowing them to target service members and their families, the experts said.

The full article is found in the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01332.html

Post subject: My identity was stolen but I am protected
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:36 pm 

My identity was stolen from the VA laptops. I got identity theft protection. The government will not protect you from their information breach.

Thanks
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:20 pm 

You should file a class action suit. Someone needs to do that who is directly affected. The VA needs to implement the TPM standard as the ARMY, AIR FORCE and DoD are doing now. These corporations are not concerned about your and my data unless they know they will have to pay.

Currently, the FBI says that 65% of 800 IT groups surveyed had laptop loss/theft. It costs $180 per victim to notify each person who's data is compromised. The TPM/TCG solution only costs dollars per PC.

Why is this still going on when nearly 50% of all PCs made on the planet have this built in? Turn it on!

Post subject: Re: Thieves Steal Personal Data of 26.5M Vets!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 pm 

Hi! I was scammed by a Nigerian pretending to be one of our boys overseas. He had pictures of his family life and had a facebook page. His "daughter and sister" also have a facebook page and will not respond to me. The Attorney General Office in NC, USA got his facebook page removed. I have over a dozen pictures of this soldier and his family and a few of these are also on the "sister/daughter" page. When i told the scammer that I knew what he was and that I had been messing with him for over a month (after he took my money, I figured I deserved something for it.) he wanted a relationship (in other words he needed me and later claimed love for me trying to get my help). I would love to get the name of this soldier and get him back these pictures if he did lose them through theft. I have alot of info on my scammer. He works alone except for the few that he paid to help receive the funds that I sent. Now he has started a new scam using a celebrity and wants my help, which I have put off. I asked for his id and he of course sent me a fake. What should I do now? I know that I will never see my money, but I want to stop him. When he found me, he searched facebook for disabled women over 50 in the Southern USA. He admitted that to me finally and I have all documentation. I have pictures of him through webcam. Please help me stop him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hi Josette. Sorry to hear you were scammed. The best thing you can do is to post the pics, emails, email address, IP address and any IMs you have. Post this information on as many anti-scammer websites as you can. Scamwarners.com romancelovescams.com and cybercrimeopps.com are just three of the many that are out there. By posting the pics the scammer used maybe someone will know who the real person is.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 am 

Scamming and identity theft is now on the major rise and in fact, even bodies and identities of dead individuals are being used for some purposes. Many people most likely think that body snatching is a thing of the past. Burke and Hare famously took bodies for medical schools in nineteenth century Scotland, and are two of history's most vilified crooks. Grave robbing has typically been the choice of very desperate crooks with remarkably low scruples. In the book and movie "True Grit," a frontier dentist tries to make a deal with passersby for the possession of a dead body but in real life, such thing happens also. Yes, that really happens and it's totally disgusting. The dead have always had some worth for those willing to plumb low enough to get it. Today, the deceased are worth more than ever before, and their trade is alive and well. A recent study claims that over 2 million deceased people have their identities stolen on a yearly basis. And that is just in the United States alone. I found it here: Trading on the dead: postmortem identity theft