There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I was just scammed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:35 pm 

Heres my situation:

I own a small web design business based out of Ontario Canada. I received an email in June by an "Isaac John" saying he had a client ("Henry Mark") interested in a small website, and wanted some pricing information.

After some conversation, we decided on a price (only $150 US), and he said that his client would contact me to give me the details when he returned from a trip.

In mid-August, I received a Travellers Express money order based out of Baltimore, Maryland for $3,000 US Dollars from Henry Mark.

I contacted Isaac asking why the overpayment, he said it was a prepayment for hosting and maintanence; and to deposit the cheque - at this point, he gave me Henry's contact information. So I did.

I sent Henry an email to let him know the cheque was deposited, but received a reply saying that he had hosting and maintanence arranged in the UK and asked that I send the money back (after I took my fees and any transfer costs out of it) via Western Union. This was a week after the cheque had been deposited. Before withdrawing the moeny to send, I made sure the cheque had cleared to be told it had; so I sent the remainder back to be picked up in the UK by "Yinka Rotimi".

I received a call from my bank saying the payment on the cheque had been stopped and the money removed from my account (essentially putting me $3,500 CAD in debt to the bank).

I will be meeting with the bank tomorrow morning, then the police, what can I expect and does anyone have any suggestions that may help?

Andrew

Post subject: Forgot to mention
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:37 pm 

I forgot to mention that, after tracing some IP's out of the email headers; I found out that Isaac and Henry had the same IP address on at least two occasions; and that the IP was owned by Zealod Nigeria Ltd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 pm 

It sounds like 2 out 3 people going to a Western Union to pickup money in the UK are scammers. This is the same place I wired money to and many others from what I read. Too Bad Government agencies won't colloborate to snag these crooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:43 pm 

Kahless you can expect the bank to pressure you to pay that amount back asap. Do not bow, ask to talk to the " Workout " department at the bank and to make a payment arrangement with them.

Unfortunately there is little to no comeback for victims on this.