ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone won with a lawyer?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:34 am 
has anyone gotten anywhere with a lawyer? I know they are expensive, but that is still better then $13000 owed according to the bank. Please any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:11 am 

Again I hate to be the bearer of BAD NEWS but the facts are this....

1. Right or wrong the bank fronted you the money for the checks or money orders whichever you received and deposited into your account.

2. You spent that money

3. If you read your paperwork that came with your account , the agreement that you signed and terms and conditions page, you will find most likely that your bank has it embedded that you the account holder are responsible for knowing that the instruments that you present for payment are true and lawful .

4. There are no laws put into motion to make sure the banks are more dilligent before crediting funds to an account.

You owe the money, there is no way shy of bankruptcy in getting around it, and trust me a court battle could go years and cost you way more than that 13000.00.

Most attorneys when invoked to go after a bank or corporate entity want between 5,000 and 10,000 down payment in the minimum. at roughly 275.00 per hour that money will not go far when he or she begins working on building a good case for court and paying filing fees.

Your best bet is to make a payment arrangement with your bank that you can comfortably afford, you may have to get tough with them and tell them straight up, either they play fair or you see a bankruptcy attorney. Faced with getting nothing they will work with you to come to resolve.

The bank will never admit any fault in this matter, you simply have to accept that you are on the hook for the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 am 

I have a question....I was scammed but I cashed the fake check at a checking place. They never verified the check when I cashed it. Now I owe $3000. Is there anything that can be done to right this wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:54 am 
iamcitizen wrote:
I have a question....I was scammed but I cashed the fake check at a checking place. They never verified the check when I cashed it. Now I owe $3000. Is there anything that can be done to right this wrong?

You presented the check as a valid item, they cashed it as such. You are responsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 am 

Just finished reading this thread.

So is it not a good idea to go to small-claims? At this point, the collection agency has removed my negative report from my credit report. Maybe I should leave well-enough alone?

Ariel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:54 pm 

Think of it this way, you will hire a lawyer, pay for the suit to get filed and the bank will come in with a believable story and a heavy hitting atty and the judge will most likely find things the bank's way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:14 pm 

Karyn,

So is it not necessarily a good idea to even take this to small claims?

Ariel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:50 pm 

That you have to decide for yourself but personally I wouldnt. But the decision is yours entirely.

Post subject: I have found a lawyer is who interested in Autotrader victim
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:46 am 

I think it is worth it if you could retain them on a contingency basis. this way you don't pay.. they only get paid if you win and take a percent.

If you are anyone you know was scammed on Autotrader, please contact me. We need to find victims.

Bjain100@yahoo.com

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:48 am 

Ok, so how about the chances if I take the bastards in small-claims court? By "bastards," I mean the hacks at WaMu.

Ariel

Post subject: Re: I have found a lawyer is who interested in Autotrader vi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:06 pm 
BJ wrote:
I think it is worth it if you could retain them on a contingency basis. this way you don't pay.. they only get paid if you win and take a percent.

If you are anyone you know was scammed on Autotrader, please contact me. We need to find victims.

Bjain100@yahoo.com

thanks.

A percentage of what, there is no money, it is in Nigeria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 pm 

I also have a question I posted as a new topic

I went to the ISSUING bank which I am a noncustomer at and unkowingly cashed a counterfeit cashiers check even asking them several times is the check valid.

What is my defense? Do you think the bank will come after me ? or do they have to eat it? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:30 pm 

Dave- good question.
I don't see these very often, but I am assuming that they took your Drivers License #, etc. before giving you the money. The good news is since you don't have an existing account with them, they can not wipe you dry and black ball you (making it impossible to open an account with another bank).
This is one of those rare instances I think you have a chance. The main reason is, they took their own check and were dumb enough to cash it - if they can't train the tellers on how to recognize even their own banks checks after much questioning from you the customer, I think they should be punished by eating it. however, that is just what I think - they very well could come after you, but you have a very strong case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:54 pm 
You cashed their item, you never signed a depositors's aggreement, they are are out the money :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:33 pm 

I have gotten all different opinions on what the bank would and can do to me. Armac God I hope your right and I never hear from the bank. that would put a :D on my face.