ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Romanian Dating Scams - Have you been burnt?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:59 am 

Wow this is a sad thing to read about. People are trusting these people with what they say because they care and learned to love them. But the truth behind this scums is that they're just after the money and not love after all. Good thing now a days there are a lot of free dating sites that everyone can use to mingle and meet new people there. Again everyone be careful, love but don't let yourself be fooled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am 

hey guys
new here but not new to scams

I have jmet a lady online that says she's in Debary Florida and actually tracked me down via a dating site
She has not asked for money or anything like that but she gave me here cell phone number and after checking it it seems to comeback to a landline in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I haven called her yet but will today when she gets off work

My question is if she is a scammer how do I trip her up to reveal that?
Even though she says she is romanian her name is not, it's McCommey which seems strange also
and she is hesitant to give me her address.

she also told me her mother is in Ghana on business and that her father is dead so she is alone in Florida
Obviously she is probably a scammer but I have no idea of knowing

Is there any free way to lookup someone by name,etc?
How could I get her to verify she's real?
Thanks guys

EDIT: let me also add she says she works at a jewelry shop in Debary and so I could ask her the name of that place and then see if it exists and maybe somehow find out if she works thhere
I want to trust her and what not but also am no idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:58 pm 

You're doing the right thing by being careful and wanting to check out her story... up front I'm almost positive she's a scammer the classic signs are there... ask her for more information like the name of the place that she works and then call them (don't use a number that she gives you but Google the jewelry store or look it up in the yellow pages), you have every right to check her out... if she's on the up and up she won't have a problem giving you that information, if she hesitates I would drop her and move on... too many reds flags here for me already.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:04 pm 

yeah I am beginning to think so too
thanks for answering

She did tell me that she was trying to purchase airtime minutes for her mom's phone card and gave me this link which leads to a ghana phone minutes thing with pay pal account
cant remember the site ghanasomething.com but pay pal ensures transactions and such and she did not ask for my CC number
I will find out when I try to call her
But I have already told her I know of the scams and although she didnt like the aqcusation she swears she is not scamming so I am kinda lost cause really there is nothing she could get from me but she still writes?

EDIT: also for future people who see this post
Is there a way to access some kind of public records to see if she has any tax returns or similar on record to show residency etc?
I just dont really want to interrogate her alot if possible and would rather learn a way to access this freely without her knowledge
I guess an example would be some kind of record stating someone with her name, etc even had a job in such and such county, etc
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm 

Quote:
she gave me here cell phone number and after checking it it seems to comeback to a landline in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

The phone number she gave you could be a redirect number. Meaning it appears to be a number in one location but is really in a different location. Scammers use redirect numbers a lot.

Quote:
Is there a way to access some kind of public records

One thing you can do is check her IP address. This will tell you were she really is. Copy and paste the full headers into the link below. On yahoo email with the email open go to the bottom of the email and click on full headers. Sorry but I don't know how to open full headers on other email providers.

http://www.iptrackeronline.com/header.php

You can also google her email address, username and any part of her email message. If she is posted as a scammer on any of the anti-scam sites she will come up. If she does not come up it does not mean she is not a scammer, it just means she has not been listed as one. The name she is using if she is a scammer maybe a new username.

I respect the fact that you want to make sure before posting any of her details. Best of luck to you.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:03 am 
Gold Member

Falling in love quickly, the family members in Africa, she's all alone, those are all indeed suspicious signs of a scammer. Scammers will rarely confess to scamming you. (If they do admit it, they claim they actually have fallen in love with you to keep you on the line.) If you want to PM the info to me I can check it out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:15 pm 

Hello!
I'm a Romanian woman and I just wanted to say that it is not in the nature of good Romanian women to ask for money from people outside the family, SO BE VERY WARY IF THIS HAPPENS. I would say the only situation acceptable would be if you decide to meet and she will be the one to take the trip, than it would be an act of gentleman for the man to pay for the trip (this could differ from case to case). In this case, it is best to make sure you purchase the ticket. Anyway, if the woman is young, good looking and is asking for money I would say it's 99% chance she's a scammer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:09 am 

hi dan
please forgive yourself for being a human
i think you feel much like i do; a fool; yet sort of can understand self;
when yu arent a criminal you dont think like one
they justify activity by telling themselves we deserve it as they are poor
and we arent;but that is life, unfair
not so at times; but its very hypnotic and they put you into a trance; read up on this ; its true
i was running to the computer daily and still stare at the damn thing
i even have my fake photos going to a pro photographer today to determine are they real
as i just cant come to grips with the lies and my ghost man who u can see check my inbox here
you have found aplace to heal now and some fellow people who understand
so feel free to talk it out; helps me i know not to feel alone in my pain and stupidity;
i found that i also had to forgive the scammer ; now i am doing research on this and hope to approach a
bank on prevention and training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 am 

I met a girl online social networking site. I am talking to her for more than a month. We never had any conversation about money.
I want someone to help me find if she is scam-er or a true person. Any one living in Bucharest, please let me know. I can provide her phone numbers ( Work and Personal) to be verified.

Vin1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 am 

In 2007, I met, was conned by, and married a well educated twenty something Romanian woman while she was in the U.S.A. (she has advanced degrees in law and public administration). Both her parents are well to do physicians. Her U.S. visa expired the day after we were married, so she had to leave. I was to follow her to Romania at a later (undetermined) date. Well, time dragged on and she was always "needing help" with this and that, especially cash "to pay for the internship with a law firm because it's a requirement before someone can become a full attorney here". Sure enough, I checked with her local bar association, "Baroul Mures", and she was, indeed, serving an internship. It is normal for the intern to pay around $10,000, but, unlike most, she was being PAID by the law firm (which I discovered too late). Matters continued as usual until July 2010, at which time I became suspicious of her never ending "you can't come here to live without bringing more money because the law says you cannot be employed here" line (no matter what amount I stated I could bring, it was never quite enough - "not enough, you need to sell your home, too". Slow? Me? Say it ain't so! She received about $50,000 from me, not including the fraudulent loans she took out in my name). February 2011, she was acting very odd and becoming more distant, so I checked my credit report and discovered she had borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars from U.S. banks in my name without my knowledge or consent and not one cent had/has been repaid. I hired a P.I. in Romania to check her background and he discovered she was married there, in Brazil, and in the U.A.E., too! (Who else can say "I have husbands in law"!) My credit report also revealed that 11 January, 2011 our "divorce by publication", which I was totally unaware of, had become final (she told her U.S. attorney "I don't know where he lives", therefore the only notice of legal action was published in an obscure newspaper - she had not said one word to me). I will be filing suit against her for the full amount of the fraudulently obtained loans in U.S. court (I shall serve HER by publication - "I don't know where she lives"), then domesticating the judgment in Romanian courts. The worm turns! I am moving to her city, Targu Mures, and marrying a fine lady (yep, I checked this one out FIRST)! To perform my own "testing", I even went so far as to tempt my new fiancee with an offer to send her $100,000 USD in advance, jewelry, help her with U.S. Citizenship, or whatever she pleases and she refused to accept any gifts or money - I couldn't talk her into accepting one cent! :D She told me that the first night I am in Romania will be spent side by side on our knees in church or the marriage is off! That makes me feel great! :D The best part is that my new fiancee is a judge who will decide many of my ex's cases!...The moral of the story is CHECK THEM OUT BEFORE, NOT AFTER, YOU HAVE BEEN BURNED! :D Not all Romanians are bad, most are actually fine people! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 am 

Never thought it would happen to me.... met a girl claiming to be from Iasi Romania. Talked on the phone and over the internet, everything was fine, her number is a Romanian number. She didn't directly ask me for money but did talk about her situation being difficult (losing her job, having to pay rent) Offered to help her, sent some money and after a few days she disappeared.... it's almost funny how it happened. I'm guessing her real name is Mioara Dimofte, she would have to present ID to receive the money and that is the name she gave me. Her nickname is Mio, she claimed she was half russian half romanian, she spoke english, romanian, spanish and russian. I can't understand how such an intelligent and educated woman would become a scammer......... but I did read the last post about how even a woman who is a lawyer feels the need to scam.... There is definitely something about Romania though, I have met latin american women since then and not one scammer among them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 am 

glacious wrote:
mmmm dana found this site with her name attached to it and well its been over four months since i have last heard from her ,,,,,,,,she told me she was about to loose her apartment hahah very funny story considering the stories that people post here about housing and medical expenses and the excuses they use to lure people in sending money

Who is Dana?
I recently met a Dana online she is lonely, there in Bucharest.
I had no idea Romanians had such a large dating scam;
She works and lives alone. in a month she could lose her job she says she will look for another or lose her apartment. She hasnt asked me for money.If fact i told her can i send her a few bucks for food she declined. I dont even have a job now, And she KNOWS this. She does want to see me. This summer. I told her i am not sure cause of financial reasons.
We talked on the phone twice, and video chatted.she has sent me pics of all kind naked, and she even has her name in a site of her working resume. I have caught her lying before, she was talking to some guy online about love, during this time she didnt say she loved me, only after i found she said she loved me.Since then i have been very careful questioning her. She was right about her current job in some firm. I saw it online. Basically, I WOULDNT KILL MYSELF if she is a scammer. Guys, this PEOPLE prey on your EMOTIONS,...I am 70 percent sure she isnt a scammer.....However, i really dont know, if i ever decide to travel there, I WOULD ASK FOR A LOT OF VERIFICATIONS. IDs....papers.. CALL OVER THERE...People dont be blind. I decided i wouldn't put a pic of her, or her info because she could and I WANT HER to be genuinely telling the truth., Romania is a poor country. However, this is life, unfortunately WE cant be superheroes and help everybody ANY INQUIRING ISNT LOVE...PERIOD....AND STORIES.....IS PROBABLY Bullshit..
Take precautions..
And any info on any Dana....would be appreciated.
I read some guys here tried to commit suicide that IS NOT answer. If possible get EVEN....
Good luck I KNOW HOW HARD IS FINDING LOVE...WE THINK TO OURSELVES WE CANT FIND SOME1 HERE AND WE THINK WE FOUND THEM, ABROAD? Lets be realistic.This is coming from man that has been thru a lot...
THINK...Damn it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:41 am 

If you want any info on any Dana I could tell you about an Irish Singer. In other words, just a first name is not enough to go on.

She has not asked you for money, cause she does not need to. You already offered and that is the way the "better" scammers work. They do not ask, they coach you into offering it. She declined to build your trust, but there will come a moment she can not decline anymore, and she will be very sad about this. You caught her talking to someone else and she most likely still is. Probably more than one.
Not every scammer operates with a fake identity. That is more a Nigerian thing. She can use her own identity. This is a love scam, so it is extremely hard to prove she is scamming you. There actually iis safety in giving you her real info. It proves she never set out to scam you and people in love can give eachother money. There is no scam in that. She can hit you for a couple of dollars and does the same with others. Like you say, Romania is a poor country and even $20 can go a long way, so even if you believe you are no target cause you do not have a job, you still are. They truly believe that even without a job you do have plenty of money in the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:32 pm 

Dan wrote:
I just feel a total idiot sometimes for falling for this.

[/img]

Do not feel like that. Having empathy and humanity is probably what makes us who we are.

Dan wrote:
I asked Western Union why they did n't warn me about sending money to Romania, and that scamming was rife in the country - he told me, the worst place is London, and being from the UK what could I say!!![/img]

I have been scammed as well except that the person was in Nigeria. I have taken the same procedures as you with Western Union but you got more response than me from their fraud department. WU is perfectly aware what is happening with the ID's but do not seem to escalate their screening process. What I discovered also is that in the UK, Western Union agents actually take bribes to look the other way and keep some of the money..How about that?..If I had my way, I would make them shutt down all WU stores as they call them as this is where the cash is circulating under the table

Personally I have been going to war against WU as I feel they are aware, have put some measures but it is just not enough.

Funny that you want to write your story, well if you want to get a little back, 'Take a Break' magazine might pay you up the 500 GBP for it. It is a trashy tabloids by all mean but it does circulates the story.

If you want to talk more, do not hesitate

Take care and You are not stupid.

D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm 

Quote:
To preface; every posting I have read on various forums and web pages all say that according to my story this girl doesn't fit the typical scammer because she actually made herself available to meet in person.

She is a pro dater. Below is a link to a youtube video about pro daters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzF_lBOdnY

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next