There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CALLING ALL VICTIMS WHO HAVE BEEN DECEIVED BY WESTERN UNION
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:10 am 

Hello,

I have posted under the dating scam forum my quest, however, I would like to extend this to all of you who have had money given out to scammers by Western Union. I am preparing a law suit against them but I feel that if this could be a joint effort, we would have more chance to

1- make our case
2- bring some social responsability into WU
3- get new legislations in place
4- really hit the scammers hard in their pockets by taking away their money machine.

If you are interested please let me know.

We need to unite against this cancer which is scamming in anyway we can.

Dahlfi

Post subject: Re: CALLING ALL VICTIMS WHO HAVE BEEN DECEIVED BY WESTERN UN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 pm 

Respectfully,

I've had great help by western union corporate fraud department to REVERSE/ PREVENT wires send by my father who is addicted to nigeria/scams. They returned money to us.

I've discovered the problem in my area [utah] is that check-city, smiths, k-mart are a "middle man" for western union. these companies have allowed my dad to attempt to send wires to nigeia via their western union wire system. Fortunately for me and my mother... I've had my father blocked from sending wires due that we could provide heavy substantial reasonable proof that my father was a financial danger to himself and was asking for trouble with said scammers.

Please keep this in mind when filing your lawsuit. Incorporate the "middle men" as they are the ones who initiate/ faciliate transactions (even when wire clerks/ cashiers know the consumer is falling victim to scam.. they still let consumer send wire anyways.. its disgusting)

Hope my comments make sense.
Regards,
GoodFood1010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:09 am 

[quote="GoodFood1010"]Respectfully,

Yes, your comments are very helpful. and yes it is disgusting. And I agree with you that the middle man is the guilty party, however, WU is responsible for that Middle Man and what outraged me is that despite the fact that they aware of the issue, money is still being paid out day in day to scammers. My case is not what happens when you send the money, my case is what happens when the money is disbursed over the counter and that is the big failiure from WU part. Your father trust the system like all of us did but the system does not work.

Many thanks for your input

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:53 am 
Gold Member

Dahlfi wrote:
I would like to extend this to all of you who have had money given out to scammers by Western Union. I am preparing a law suit against them

Western Union perform a service of transferring money from one person to another based on the instructions given to them by the user of their system. They have plenty of scam warnings both printed and on their website.

Anyone sending money via Western Union to someone they do not personally know only has themselves to blame when they realise (far too late) that it is a scam. The final responsibility is the one sending the money.

Would you blame a bus company of deceiving you if you didn't read the destination on the front of the bus and ended up in another town? No, it would be your fault for not paying attention.

Accusing Western Union of being deceptive is in itself an act of libel, one which could see YOU in the dock answering charges.

| CyberCrimeOps.COM (Connect via Facebook) | Internet-Love-Scams.ORG |

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm 

Thank you for that Biggles but before I made that step, rest assured that I have done my homework. I will not go any further than that and honestly I have read far worse accusations about WU than my own so obviously there are lot of disgranted people out there. And since you like analogies, when you buy a washing machine and it does not do what it says in the manual due to disfunctions, do you blame yourself for buying the wrong model or do make a claim to the manufacturer under the warranty..that is why T&C's exists and btw I might well not win the case but what it might bring out a lot of more awareness why WU is not safe, if there were, they would have provided me with the tracking information of my ticket which they could not....

Remember, this is about fighting scammers and the tools they use. I am going after their tools and a slap on the hand to WU might get them up their internal controls that is all.
I am ok with your comments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 pm 
Gold Member

Dahlfi wrote:
I have read far worse accusations about WU than my own so obviously there are lot of disgranted people out there.

Yes, as have I. Those 'disgruntled' people are blaming Western Union when it is the 'person' not following their advice that is the root of the issue. Look here [Western Union Money Transfer Security Tips [link]]

Quote:
Tips to Help Protect You from Fraud
Western Union understands that you work hard for your money and you want a ‎reliable company to send your money. That’s why we’re working to help you protect ‎yourself from fraud. Below are a few tips to reduce your chance of becoming a ‎victim.‎
  • Only send money to people you personally know and trust.
  • If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on lottery or prize winnings.
  • Never provide your banking information to unknown individuals or businesses‎.
  • Never send money in advance to obtain a loan or credit card.
  • Verify every emergency situation before sending money.‎
  • Never send funds from a check in your account until it officially clears which can ‎take weeks.
  • Remember it is illegal to send money for any gambling or other activities prohibited by law.
If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud please call us at 1-800-448-1492‎.

Simple is it not, to see, read and learn what not to use their services for? Point one is the most important one. As I have already stated, anyone sending money to someone they do not personally know is simply begging to loose the money. That is not the fault of Western Union.

Dahlfi wrote:
And since you like analogies, when you buy a washing machine and it does not do what it says in the manual due to disfunctions, do you blame yourself for buying the wrong model or do make a claim to the manufacturer under the warranty.

You need to brush up on your analogies before trying to counter what I have already stated. Yours relates to a physical product that breaks down; Western Union is not a physical product it is a SERVICE, there is a huge difference between the two at every level, including the legal definitions too. Your analogy is totally invalid.

Dahlfi wrote:
that is why T&C's exists

Terms & Conditions that are not followed by a consumer means that the consumer has failed, not the service. Simple.

Dahlfi wrote:
I might well not win the case

You have no case to begin with.

Dahlfi wrote:
what it might bring out a lot of more awareness why WU is not safe, if there were, they would have provided me with the tracking information of my ticket which they could not.

Western Union is perfectly safe if you follow their advise. Failing to do that is not their fault, it is the consumers'. What 'tracking' are you talking about? For a money transfer? You get a receipt, you can look at the status of payment on their website. Job done.

Dahlfi wrote:
I am going after their tools and a slap on the hand to WU might get them up their internal controls that is all.

That's a joke really. What would you have them do? Interrogate all their consumers to find out who what why and where they are sending money for? There would certainly be an outcry if that happened... it's called an invasion of privacy. Western Union cannot fix the idiocy of gullible and naive people who send money to people they do not know. They have guidelines, people need to read them.

I have no love for cash transfer systems because they are ultimately flawed and abused by miscreants, just like the cheque clearance system of all the banks of the world. It does not mean that someone who has failed to adhere to their guidelines has any right to openly accuse them of deception.

| CyberCrimeOps.COM (Connect via Facebook) | Internet-Love-Scams.ORG |

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Biggles wrote:
I have no love for cash transfer systems because they are ultimately flawed and abused by miscreants, just like the cheque clearance system of all the banks of the world. It does not mean that someone who has failed to adhere to their guidelines has any right to openly accuse them of deception.

I agree with you, they are both flawed . . . and to me the fight has always been to get them to admit to those flaws and work to address/fix them.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch