There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to's of the board
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:57 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I have gotten emails and private messages asking over and over again . . . How do I post? How do I PM someone?

How to log in
When you go to the message board you will see the login button in the upper left corner, underneath the ScamVictimsUnited.com logo.

Click on the word Login, and enter your user name and password. You are now ready to post messages or respond to others messages.

Posting a new message
If you want to start talking about a new topic, you need to post a new message. First, find the category that your message will best fit into. For example, if your story is about a dating/romance scam, go to that section of the message board by clicking on the section title.

You can now see and read all of the posts that others have made in this same category.
To post your own message, or topic, just click on the button that says New Topic
You will then get a screen much like an email, which allows you to enter a subject title for you post, and then a larger area for the main body of your post.

Attaching images to your post
After you have finished typing in your post, you can add images (photos of the scammer) by attaching an image to your post.
Just below the large area that you typed in your message, you will see an area that says Upload Attachment.
Enter the file name, or click on the Browse button to find the file on your computer. You can also add comments about the file (the name of the scammer). Once you have done this, click on the Add the File button and the image/file will now be attached to your message.

At the bottom of all of this you will see three buttons, Preview, Submit and Cancel

You can click on the preview button to see how your post will appear, submit to send your post through, or cancel to delete everything.

Responding to posts
You can respond to message that others have posted, or when someone responds to your original post you can respond to them and keep a conversation going back and forth.

All new posts will have a yellow icon in front of them
If you would like to read the post, click on the Topic subject name. Once you have read it, if you would like to respond to the post, just scroll down to the bottom of the posts and you will see a button that says Post Reply.
Click on that button, and you will get a message screen where you can post your response. From here, it is just like posting a new message.

Tips and hints
Do not post your messages in ALL CAPS. In the world of email and message boards, all caps means that you are yelling, so if your entire post is in caps, it will come off to others as yelling. Also, it is much harder to read all caps messages.

Do not post the same message multiple times on the board. Find the topic area that is best for your post, and post there. If you post the same message in several places it becomes annoying for the regular visitors and the moderators may delete multiple posts.

If you are updating us on your own story, find your original post and reply to it . . . do not start a new topic just for the update. This helps to keep things orderly and neat, and others who read the message board will know all of the background details on your story if your updates are all with your original post.

When you come to the message board, any new message since the last time you visited will have the yellow icon in front of them, or if there is a response to a topic there will be a yellow icon. This helps you to find the messages that people are talking about easily.

Members who are listed as Gold Members are people who are not moderators or administration, but are regulars to the message board that the site administration would consider a trusted person and would most likely back their advise. You can tell if someone is a Gold Member by looking at the information under their user name on any of their posts.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: How tos of the board
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:16 pm 

suzily wrote:Aloha everyone,

I know that Ive seen the answer to this before, but I cant find it now that I need it

Anyway, how do you insert a ticker in your signature?

Mahalo,

Sue

Post subject: Re: How to's of the board
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 pm 

For the protection of our members, html or coding of any kind cannot be used in your signature only text... also advertising of any kind is against board policy and will be removed. Thanks for understanding. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 pm 

How do I change my user name on the board?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 pm 

I sent a reply to your message.