There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another CL Scammer.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am 

Tony Adams to me

Thanks for your interests in the PA position, I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities.

I'm Tony Adams,50years ,I serves the legal needs of small business in a variety of matters including general legal counsel, commercial litigation, contract disputes, civil litigation, small business litigation, and other legal matters.I place great importance on being accessible to my clients.I do this by working hard to be responsive, accommodating your schedule, and always keeping you informed about the progress of your case. I counsel my clients to confront legal challenges with aggressive, result oriented solutions.. I most very often get my hands occupied because am working with many companies both states and outside,so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include:

Make travel arrangements and submit expenses for Attorneys
Order office supplies,Running personal errands,Check Processing
Filing documents,faxing,printing and typing letters
Web research, Internet search skills and posting ads
Quality communication etiquette skills and good organizational skills
Serious sense of humor required and mandatory to work with me
Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information
Perform duties with accuracy, quality, and integrity

You can only apply for this position if you own a printer and personal computer.

Basic wage is $500 a weekly

This position is home-based and flexible you can be in any location,working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially.

I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.

Note:This position is home base office work you can be in any location and work with me from your home.

Let me know your interest if you are ready to work with me from your home

Mon-Fri @ 10am-1pm

Hope to hear from you again.

Law Offices of Tony W Adams.
15137 Magnolia BLVD #D,
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Fax:818-990-2433
Ph:206-984-1643
E-mail:tonyweekend@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: Another CL Scammer.....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 am 

I received this very email after applying for a Personal Assistant position through Craigslist. I replied and received one back from Tony Adams wanting to use this next week as a trial to see if the job is a good fit. He was to IM me at 9:00am this morning with my first assignment but he did not show up.

Googling his name brought up someone who owns a small business in my Florida town but I have no learned this cannot be the same person. They are very different ages and the business is quite different. I called the local police and they have no information on this person. They are familiar with the local business owner and agree they are not the same person.

Googling the fax number listed brings up a California law office but there is no mention of Tony W. Adams.

He has my name, cell phone number and mailing address (not physical address). I was told he would be sending me a check next week to purchase office supplies. I know enough not to give personal banking information. I'm still not certain what flags this as a scam by the letter but I do know if he was legit I'd be able to bring up more information on him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

willdo
It is a scam. Cut off all contact with this person.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 pm 

Yes, I have done that & am planning to report him to Craigslist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 am 

I answered a craigslist add very similiar to this. A person calling himself Brian Peterson and wanting a personal assistant. He said he was a lawyer. The tip off was he said he was 50 years old and had been practicing law for 30 years. Who gets a law degree by age 20, not very many people. When he didn't show up in my local phone book I became suspicious. So I googled his phone number. Also suspicious because the area code didn't show up in any of the 50 states. Google brought up your website. Thank you for comfirming that it was a scam. It just makes me sick that there are people out there like this guy trying to take advantage of the rest of us hard working folks who are trying to find honest employment.
An honest American

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 am 

I just received the same email from "Brian Peterson" apparently he remembered, from the previous posting, "I'm Brian Peterson,50years,I have practiced law since 1979 and offer to my clients the experience and care for their problems that come with over 26 years of experience." That math not adding up was a tip off for me.

Then when I googled the following info;
"The Law Offices of Brian Peterson.
Ph:206-984-1643
E-mail:brnptrsn101@gmail.com"
I found a couple of "Brian Peterson" law offices, however, they are in North Carolina. The phone # given is a Washington state number and the fax # is for southern California. I've lived in both places.

I can't thank the other people on this forum enough for putting this info out there so I could find out it isn't what it seems. The previous forum writer put it the best when she said "It just makes me sick that there are people out there like this guy trying to take advantage of the rest of us hard working folks who are trying to find honest employment." It's RIDICULOUS what we, as "civilized" people do to each other.

Thanks again,
KW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:30 pm 

I got a similar email and being a naive broke college student i gave out my information....address and name and number but nothing else...I am not sure what this will do to me as i have a common name and no money and lots of debt, here is what he sent....now that i know its a scam i looked harder and the email i sent to craigslist was for a brian.peterson51 and the email that came back was brian.peterson15, i didnt see the difference i was just happy i got a response since ive been unemployed and little help from my parents. let me know if you have any information on what will happen considering i did respond with information. he also gave me no contact info other than email and i dont even know what his job IS, that should have tipped me off but like i said i was just happy i got a response!

Hello .

Thanks for applying for the post, I quite I appreciate it? I received and read your e-mail and it's reasonable and acceptable. So I will give this a go"

I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and reliable to work very well.

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings. As my personal assistant, your activities amongst other things will include;

*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring. Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.

Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I;m away.
Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf. Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..

Basic wage is $500 a week .

I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point, as I am presently in the United Kingdom, I will be back in the states in three Weeks.

I think you're the right person for this post , Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time, work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side. As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us. It may be a little difficult working out the time difference between us initially, with time however, we should get used to it. I'm online most of the time as I am hard of hearing so I prefer to we contact each other through E-mails, but if there is need for me to call, I will make use of the online means of making phone calls. I am glad you are willing to work with me and i promise to be a good boss. I am also glad on the commitment in working. I have been checking my files and what i would want you to do for me this week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage home, I do that every month . The funds will be in form of Money Order and it will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i have some list to email you once you received the funds,You will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the kids in the nearest store around you so you can mail them out. I will get you more information on that,I will like you to get back to me with your Contact Details such as:

Full Name:
Contact Address NO P.O BOX:
City:
State:
Zip-Code:
Phone Number:
Once I have received your contact information, I will get back to you with the task for this week,Understand you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps before i get back from my business trip back to the states. Hope I am clear with that.

Get back as soon as possible..

Brian Peterson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am 

Brian Peterson got me as well. I gave my resume and all info. short of soc. security #. Does anyone know what harm this can potentially do me?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:50 am 

FYI, who ever this is is now using the name Amy Johnson. I just received an email from her for a posting from craigslist. She told me she was 28, but had been doing freelance photography for 15 years and is currently out of town for a contract photo shoot. How many photographers start working at 13? This set off my bells and whistles. The thing is, she had a full blown website, and googling her brought up 2 outside sources of info to further support this hoax, including company data like profit listings and such. It wasn't until I googled the fax number that I found the scamvictimsunited.com website. I tried to go back in craigslist and look at the posting, but it's already gone, not flagged, just gone.

Beware!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am 

What I read about this scam on craigslist is that they send a FAKE cashiers check, which is why they need all your contact info, to send you the bogus check, but then ask you to wire them a money transfer as soon as possible. What is 100% consistent is the fax and telephone number. The telephone number did not bring up any red flags,only the fax number...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Post the telephone number on here so that way it will start coming up in google searches.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:36 pm 

update: San Francisco Craigs List - Sept 8, 2009

Here is the phone # "Amy" is using

PH:206-984-1643

recieved this today:

I really appreciate your response for this position available,My name is Amy Johnson,28yrs, married with one handsome son,black american,I`m Photographer,I have been a freelance photographer for over 15 years, with much of that spent as a fashion photographer. My experience in fashion gives me a creative edge in portraiture and an ability to bring out the best in everybody.

I need you to be my personal assistant to monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

Duties and Requirements:

*Posting ads on Internet and news paper
*Processing weekly check payment.
*Scheduling programmer's, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
*Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
*Filing ,Faxing ,Creating and sending out letters,scanning documents,some personal assistant duties for owners, and many other
*Managing expenses and invoices

I need someone with:
Good planning, communication and organization skills
Must be organized and able to assist in all the job Requirements
Works well with people, takes initiative and can handle multiple tasks concurrently
Well balanced, flexible, vibrant, personable, positive and proactive
Must be an innovative and creative thinker
Must have excellent letter writing skills.

This position is home-based and flexible part time job,you can be in any location since you will be working from your home doing all the activities.

Rigth now am out of state for a Photographer contract,i will be back in 2weeks time before that i want you to start working with me from your home and I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available to start.This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.

Salary:$2,000 monthly

Working hours:Mon-Friday 10am-12pm daily.

Note:I need someone serious and ready to work from his or her home for this position.

Kindly reply me back if you are still interested in this position,i have first task waiting for you to know if you are ready to work.

Amy Johnson, Photographer
Bellevue, WA 98004
http://www.amyjohnsonphotos.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 pm 

Here's all of "Amy Johnson's" contact info:

Amy Johnson, Photographer
Bellevue, WA 98004
http://www.amyjohnsonphotos.com

The next email that Amy "Johnson" sends is as follows:

Am happy that you are showing seriousness to be my new personal assistant and i hope you will make a postivitve impression.,As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible before you start

I want to know if you own any of this office equipments,Printer,Electric Typewriters ,personal computer with Internet access,scanner machine,fax machine, Laminator,paper cutter,Calculator.

I will set up a time for us to meet in person immediately i arrive,we can only be contacting through email /phone for now

If you have any of those office equipment let me know also fill the application form below.

APPLICATION FORM

First Name :
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Street Address :
City, State, Zip Code:
Cell Phone Number:
Home Phone Number:
Email:
Yahoo Messenger ID:

Sex________Age_________

Nationality ___________________________

Current Job:____________________________

Are you eligible to work in the United States?Yes ____ No_____

If you are under age 18, do you have an employment/age certificate?Yes ___ No ___

POSITION/AVAILABILITY:

Position Applied For_________________

How often do you check your email:______________

Specify the hours that you will be available if my schedule doesn't work with the hours i requested

Days/Hours Available:

Monday ____
Tuesday ____
Wednesday ____
Thursday ____
Friday ____
Saturday ____
Sunday ____

Hours Available: from _______ to ______

What date are you available to start work?________________

Thanks
Amy Johnson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 pm 

I responded with all of my personal information before I found this spam board. What can they do with all of that personal information. Please help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Depends on HOW MUCH info you gave . . . they could use your name and info in one of their "fake" profiles, or it could become a case of ID Theft if you gave them too much info.