ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am 

ANOTHER ONE!! This is from Brenda Babatunde (brendayo121@yahoo.com)

I googled her name, email address, and got nothing. I checked on here and saw a very similar letter from another name. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!

Hello
thanks for getting back to me,how are you today?i will like to let you know am interested in renting the spot from you....Below are just some few things you might want to know about me:am straight,easy going and pretty laid back 28yrs old female....i do not smoke nor drink,am a christian but am not fanatical about my religion as i have always learnt to respect others religion/belief.Sometimes i love going to the beach at my leisure time to observe the wonders of nature,i work for an investment company here in west africa and coming to US cos the company i work for here is looking to open business correspondence in the US,this is my first visit to US and i do really hope to find a good place like yours to live in,if you can reseve the place for me i will surely appreciate that,i know there are several people interested in renting the place from you so am willing to make arrangement for some sort of deposit even with the first month rent so that will show commitment from my part,And just for you to know that this trip will be sponsored by my employer and every expenses as regards the rent and utilities will be paid in full so you have nothing to worry about as to whether i will be able to pay rent or not,pls be aware that my trip to US is fast approaching and i will appreciate if you get back to me asap to know how we can work things out.
regards

brenda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 am 

Hi, this is still going on. Received two WalMart money orders for $1500 each. They look pretty darn authentic. Am going to pursue some avenues to figure out what to do next. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would bring the money orders to the post office or the police, tell them everything, and then block the email address of the scammer.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam--WalMart Money order
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 pm 

Thanks, I called the local sheriff, since I live out in the country. They referred me to both the originating source of the money order to check it validity and to the FBI website. I called the Walmart in South Dakota and they referred me to the company that originates the MOs. The young man checked the numbers on the MOs and found they had been cashed in September for amount much less than the amount on the face of the MOs. He told me they rarely see money orders for more than $1000. These were for $1500 each. Also he said that they would love to have copies of them so they could research them as well. There is a little pink dot on these MOs that are heat sensitive. He said when you applied the heat from your finger, it would turn the dot white and it would return to pink when the paper cooled. This would not happen on either of the money orders, so that could be an indicator that they are counterfiet. I contacted the FBI via the Internet Crime Compaint Site at: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx. This site works in conjunction with the FBI, National White Collar Crime Center and the Bureau for Justice Assistance. I filled out the info regarding this, interesting how someone could go through all this to steal money from others.....Interestingly, I haven't heard from my person since yesterday...I am to email when I receive the MOs, but gosh the lady that signed for them is out sick---they must be sitting on her desk!!! :mrgreen: Thanks again for hosting this site and giving me the chance to pursue my suspicions....very interesting experience!

Post subject: My My It has been more than a year
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:03 pm 

and here is almost the same letter I received before. It is almost like a game now- how many days after I post my room will I get a reply from a scammer????

Oh well, hope this helps you out there,
Cynthia

kristivien@aol.com

to me

Hello,
How are you? I hope all is going on fine over there with you.
Thanks so much for replying my mail,I really do appreciate it,.
I would have loved us to see before making any plan but the distance between us is the barrier,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you.
More about me again i am a humanitarian.My present address in South Dakota is
2102 N LaCrosse St Rapid City, 57701....South Dakota
.I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5'7' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around.
I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle...I ve dreamt to be a medical doctor but i liked my uncle's work been a hummanitarian worker, as i really liked his work and beliefs,i started working with my uncle,going places,Helping people. I have been a humanitarian officer,usa called us { social Worker} .for the past few Years ,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs .
My uncle is the controller of our humanitarian organisation {GRAND TRUST FUND} not a recognised one but we pray that it will,In God good grace,Just some few weeks ago,My uncle travelled to Germany and he told me if i'll like to travel with him,But i thought of seeing him in Germany before i come ,since he went on making researches. I also thought of moving on ,so as to contribute more to the development of the organistaion. Our headquarter address is
28 Northwick Park,Watford Road,
Harrow,Middlesex HA1 3UJ,
United Kingdom.
Phone: +447024044288
Fax: +44 7030403330
Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
So i decided to leave south dakota as to know how social workers there does and work with other social workers to get more experience ,so i planned to move in by the availability of the room..I'll also want to see more pictures of the place .
Moreso,if there is any form am going to feel,you can send it for me to view,so i will tell you if am ok with it or not,then i will fill it once i arrive.Cos,is better to do that physically.
Well,have accomplish my mission in South Dakota,the management of GTF(The organisation am working for instructed me to change environment,so that i can influence the rest of the states in United State and let them know that there is an organisation called GTF,i think this will promote and develop the organisation..I work for them and they do pay me well,so i will be paying you everymonth regularly with no excuse...
I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..
With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
Feel free to ask me any question.
Thanks..

Post subject: Re: Jenifer Walcot now using Tina Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:22 am 

I have received two emails from this person. The first she said her name was Jenifer Walcot but signed it "thanks Sarah". Since I had already read these notices I deleted it. It was identical to the others listing she was a nurse and makeup artist....word for word.

Now I get an email this morning from "Tina Jones". Beware....here she is again.
Add TINA JONES TO YOUR LIST FOR JENIFER WALCOT!!!!!

Add confirmation?
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent: Thu 10/23/08 9:23 AM
To: hous-889241235@craigslist.org

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, croOss-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hi,
Hello to You over there and how is your day? I saw your advert that You have a room available for rent and i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the place, neighborhood ,and the utilities included...?
I am Tina Jones,a Medical Humanitarian Nurse ,and ve been involve since the past 8 years,taking care of the motherless babies,Homeless one and all of that,I am still kind of young because i just turned 27yrs old...I Can speak both English and German,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,and i am in south Dakota now ,I will want to move in by Early November depending on the availability of the room ,I speaks English fluently ,so we have no barriers.
I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent this particular room that you have to offer.
I will be anxiously waiting for your next email
Kind Regards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:51 am 

I am glad I found this site. I hope I am NOT too late. I sent her an email today before I read this article. I live in Iowa. I gave her my work address. I then decided to look her up and saw this i DID NOT give her any of my bank info or anything BUT she does have my address, email address and work address and phone #.

What should I do? we agreed to things BUT i I DONT have any of her money and sounds like if i would have cashed it, it would have been returned/ would have been fake money order.

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:37:09 -0500
To: tinajones01@geekzonemail.com
Subject: CHANGE OF PLANS. I AM VERY VERY SORRY

One of my best friends Rick Ross (works nights) just got divorced yesterday called me and said his wife got the house in the settlement. He currently does NOT have anywhere to live and doesnt have any reliatives in Iowa. His family is from California.

He asked if he could stay with me. I told him yes. I have known him for 20+ years. He will be staying with me until he gets back on his feet. I am VERY VERY sorry for this. PLEASE DO NOT send the money.

To: dmaul3300
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:39 AM
Subject: RE: CHANGE OF PLANS. I AM VERY VERY SORRY

Hello there,
This will be a big problem because i have send you the payment and my stuffs too are on there way to your place..
please let me know when the payment get to you we will then know what to do about it

----- Original Message -----
To: tina jones
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: CHANGE OF PLANS. I AM VERY VERY SORRY

my friend moved in last night.

you should be able to contact the moving company and be able to retrieve it. If not, i will tell them to ship it back to you or will take it to the police station. I will send the payment to the same address that it came from to Jenifer Walcot since it will be a fake money order anyways.

I have contacted craigs list as well as my local police department. if the merchandise does come i will turn it over to the police. it looks like you have been scamming many people.

http://valentina-photo.livejournal.com/139845.html
http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2 ... 22&p=15938

Here are the ORIGINAL emails with her responses.

To: dmaul3300
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 2:57 AM
Subject: favour please

Hi ,
I am very happy for the concern,and i want to thank you for giving me the room,I really appreciate it. I want to let You know that i'll make it up to You and will be arriving by the Early November but will be mailing the payment to you as soon as i can as i have said,and it will get to you soon,Please let me know if this is okay by You
Yes i agree to this terms and conditions
i want you to know that my furniture and my car will be delivered before my arrival,please do let me know if you can be there to help me receive my furniture and my car ,I won't cause you any financial problem as i will be including the shipper's fee in the payment that I'll be sending ...So you will be getting the shipper's fee and the rent fee together ,You will just deduct your rent fee and keep the shipper's fee till he comes to deliver my things
Hope you can understand me?
I really appreciate you for you've been so nice from the
start.please send me your mailing address so that i can make the payment asap
Hi again ,
Thanks once again for the quick reply. where i am now,i can only communicate through email but I will whenever i get reception but before that i will want to secure the place,I am very happy meeting a person like you,It 's nice reading from you again and i will never ever want to loose the room even without seeing the place ,i smell the kind of person whom you are and i like you,I will want You to know that i am okay with the cost ,if none is included again.....There many people moving over so you will have choices but i want to plead with you to rent for me
I got to believe that the person that one wants to live with matters most,i believe that you'll be a nice person,I just have my dressers,computer table,kitchen utensils and a queen size bed,2 big luggages and my car to be shipped....
With the way we ve communicated,I am okay with you and i want you to know that i don't want to make any travel plans without securing a place down now,so i ve let my uncle understand more about you and the place,He is really comfortable and he told me that it is a nice area he had lived in the states before and he said that i should not afford to loose your place also he said that i should try and make sure that i hold down the place,so i thought of it and i will be making payment to hold down the place and the mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is United State Certified money order so pls let me know if this mode of payment is ok by you.
And if YES pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier service,your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to send to your work address because you will always be available at work from morning till evening but if home address it will be sitting in your mail and no one will be at home to receive the package.And if you don't receive package at your office address then I guess your home address will be good for the delivery right ? But to avoid any delay of you receiving at home then I guess work address will be fine what do you think ? Kindly get back to me with this requested address contact information so that we can proceed asap bye for now..
Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay, and i am moving in by the Early November
Hope to read from you soon

----- Original Message -----
To: hous-883933508@craigslist.org
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:56 PM
Subject: Add confirmation

Hi,
Hello to You overthere and how is your day? I saw your advert that You have a room available for rent and i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the place, neighboourhood ,and the utilities included...?
I am Tina Jones,a Medical Humanitarian Nurse ,and ve been involve since the past 8 years,taking care of the motherless babies,Homeless one and all of that,I am still kind of young because i just turned 27yrs old...I Can speak both English and German,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,and i am in south Dakota now ,I will want to move in by Early November depending on the availability of the room ,I speaks English fluently ,so we have no barriers.
I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent this particular room that you have to offer.How are you? I hope all is going on fine over there with you.
Thanks so much for replying my mail,I really do appreciate it,.
I would have loved us to see before making any plan but the distance between us is the barrier,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you.
More about me again i am a humanitarian.My present address in South Dakota is
2102 N LaCrosse St Rapid City, 57701....South Dakota
.I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5'7' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around.
I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle...I ve dreamt to be a medical doctor but i liked my uncle's work been a hummanitarian worker, as i really liked his work and beliefs,i started working with my uncle,going places,Helping people. I have been a humanitarian officer,usa called us { social Worker} .for the past few Years ,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs .
My uncle is the controller of our humanitarian organisation {GRAND TRUST FUND} not a recognised one but we pray that it will,In God good grace,Just some few weeks ago,My uncle travelled to Germany and he told me if i'll like to travel with him,But i thought of seeing him in Germany before i come ,since he went on making researches. I also thought of moving on ,so as to contribute more to the development of the organistaion. Our headquarter address is
28 Northwick Park,Watford Road,
Harrow,Middlesex HA1 3UJ,
United Kingdom.
Phone: +447024044288
Fax: +44 7030403330
Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
So i decided to leave south dakota as to know how social workers there does and work with other social workers to get more experience ,so i planned to move in by the availability of the room..I'll also want to see more pictures of the place .
Moreso,if there is any form am going to feel,you can send it for me to view,so i will tell you if am ok with it or not,then i will fill it once i arrive.Cos,is better to do that physically.
Well,have accomplish my mission in South Dakota,the management of GTF(The organisation am working for instructed me to change environment,so that i can influence the rest of the states in United State and let them know that there is an organisation called GTF,i think this will promote and develop the organisation..I work for them and they do pay me well,so i will be paying you everymonth regularly with no excuse...
I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..
With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
Feel free to ask me any question.
Thanks..

I will be anxiously waiting for your next email
Kind Regards

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

dmaul3300 wrote:
I gave her my work address. I then decided to look her up and saw this i DID NOT give her any of my bank info or anything BUT she does have my address, email address and work address and phone #. What should I do? we agreed to things BUT i I DONT have any of her money and sounds like if i would have cashed it, it would have been returned/ would have been fake money order.

If you have not gotten a check or money order yet, then you are safe. If they continue to bother you, I would block their email address and phone number. If anything else should come of this, I have a VERY good contact in the Iowa Attorney General's office that I can hook you up with, but if you have not given bank info or gotten a check it should not come to that.

I am glad that you found out in time!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:46 pm 

I too have gotten a response with the same emails as everyone else, Tina Jones and now she is also going by Linda Carolina! Thank heavens I didn't accept anything from these people, I thought the 2 emails from 2 different people sounded a little fishy. BEWARE!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:49 pm 

Well They are still up to their stuff, We allmost got Scamed too this week
See the E-mails below
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Nov 6, 2008 10:28 PM
To: msvirgo913@yahoo.com
Subject:

Hi

How are you doing? Guess fine I presume. Am writing you in regards to your advert on Craigslist.com and I'm interested in your room apartment, Am from Spain and I will be having some seminars coming up soon in US. Right now am working for a Non Government Organization on a program on children with orphans and heart related probs.

My next program/seminars will be in US and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states. I can't wait to arrive to US cause I've heard a lot about US.more so I will be staying for the period of 12-13 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of the room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.

Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.

Kindest Regards.

MY ANSWER
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 05:39:37 -0500
To: ann.patterson001@live.co.uk
Subject: Re:

Good Morning Ann,
My name is Debbie Gilbert and I just want to thank you for responding to my ad. The room in question is approx. 10x14 and is fully furnished. It has a new double bed, dresser, chester drawers, desk and walk in closet. It also has a full bath. It is carpeted with blue carpet and blue trim with white walls. Very homey. I think you will enjoy it.
First, when will you want the room? Second, the move in fees are first and last months rent. The utilities that are included are, electric, water and sewer and cable. If you need a phone we can get that for you, but you will have to pay for that separate. Wireless internet is available for a small fee of $25 a month. Available to you will also be space in the refrigerator and freezer. You will have to buy your groceries.
I don't have a picture right now of the room but can get one shortly. Well, I hope this is something that you want. please let me know as soon as possible as to when you will arrive and want the room.
Thanks again,
Debbie

Ann
Sent: Nov 7, 2008 7:01 AM
To:
Subject: I'm Extremely Interested in the room

Hi Roomie,

Thanks for the response to my introductory mail,I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the room. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me as i'll love to rent the place.I am a humanitarian officer involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs.I will be staying for a minimum of 12-13month.

Am 29 years old from Spain,I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do, no boyfriend because I am a very busy woman.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and handworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis.

I like the job cos we are working in collaboration with the world health organisation,hospital,health centres,medical and other health related instutitions,it also involves travelling which is one of my hobbies, i will be thru with my programme here in canada by the end of this month and because its a study leave i will still be getting paid,so paying my rents on time won't be an issue of discussion.

I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost of the room and its quite reasonable and affordable . I will like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for not less than 7months,'ve told my boss about this and he promised to make sure that he will meet up with the payment so that I can depart from here as scheduled.He also said I will have the advantage to make payment for deposit .I should arrive to Us on 20th of Nov 2008, so pls keep room for me till my arrival.He also said my mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is United State Certified money order or cashier check so pls let me know if this mode of payment is ok by you.
And if YES pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,your address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails,kindly get back to me with this requested address contact information so that we can proceed asap bye for now..

do get bact to me with your full information,
(1)your full name .
(2)your contact address .
(3)your phone # .
(4)your email address so that my boss can sent the payment to you ok.
Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay...
Hope to read from you soon.

Kindest Regards

Ann

MY ANSWER
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:42:54 -0500
Subject: Re: I'm Extremely Interested in the room

Hi Ann,
I hope I didnt run you away with the question I asked earlier. I was just making sure. I hope you understand that. Please let me know about the room as soon as you can. Thanks again.
Debbie
Sent: Nov 7, 2008 9:17 PM
To:
Subject: Consider it rented and please these transaction is 100% real ok...

Hi ,

How are you doing? fine and hope you are having a wonderful day,Anyway i must tell you that am really happy about the information
provided,and i will want you to know that i'm really interested in renting the place from you and i won't take any chance in losing it.All
i will want you to do for me is to please remove the advert from the sites as i will not want to lose it to another person.I' ve contacted
my organization personnel manager that will be responsible for the payment and he said he is okay by it and he promised to make the
payment out to you via Certified Check Or Money Order.

I will also want to inform you that i will be shipping over little of my bedroom furnitures and my car that my organization gave me,
when i was promoted as Humanitarian officer and my boss as promised to include the money for the shipment with the money for the
rent fees,so as soon as the shippers came to deliver my things,you will help me to give them the remaining money at the point of there
delivery after you may have deducted the money for the rent fees.

Hope you can really understand this?i will really appreciate if you can do this for me,please do get back to me with your decision so
that my boss can get the payment send to you as soon as possible.
Hope to read from you soon and will get intouch with you as soon as the payment as been sent.
Yours Truly,

Ann

My Answer
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:49:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Consider it rented and please these transaction is 100% real ok...

Hi Ann,
Thanks for replying to me. Ok, I am taking it off of the advert list. When did you say you would arrive. I need to do some minor cleaning and want it looking good for when you arrive. Can't wait to meet you. Tell your boss to send me a total of $1,350.00 which is the first and last months rent along with a $350 security deposit. You will get that back after you leave, If you want it or you can stay longer. Thats fine by us. Time is not an issue. Well I guess we will see you soon.
Thanks again,
Debbie

Last one we got from her as of today
From: Ann Patterson <ann.patterson001@live.co.uk> [Add to Address Book]
To:
Subject: Perfect Match!
Date: Nov 8, 2008 3:08 PM
Hi Roomie,

I am very happy for the concern,and thank you for giving me the room,I really appreciate it. I want to let You know that i'll make it up to you been the best roomie you have ever heard. My Boss will be mailing the payment on monday,and it will get to you soon,Please let me know if this is okay by you?Also i want you to know that my furnitures and my car will be delievered before my arrival,please do let me know if you can be there to help me recieve my furnitures and my car,Computer and little of my Bedroom furnitures,It won't cause you any financial problem as i will be including the shipper's fee in the payment that i'll be sending ...So you will be getting the shipper's fee and the rent fee together ,all you need do is deduct your rent fee and keep the shipper's fee till he comes to deliever my things.

I really appreciate you for you have been so nice from the start and please kindly take off the ad off the site now..
Hope to read from you very soon

Ann

SO PLEASE DO AS WE HAVE DONE PLEASE DONT WORK WITH THESE PEOPLE OR YOU WILL LOOSE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:19 pm 

Craigslist is becoming a target for people trying to rent out a room or tying to get a roommate.
WATCH OUT!!!!
AMY_ALONE002@HOTMAIL.COM
Amy from Spain almost had me sending money by Moneygram.

Now evey person answering my ad from out of the country have the same format.

It's all the same letter, just changed a bit.

Cashiers check...Over the amount of the rent.

Send $ via Moneygram for shipping of belongings.

These are just a few I got in two days.

CAMMY_BADMUS001@HOTMAIL
ROSELINEBLOOM101@HOTMAIL
ANGELVIVIAN79@GMAIL.COM

Some mens names also.......
It is just awful, be awear of out of the country scammers!

Denise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:38 pm 

I am extremely glad I googled "Jenifer Walcot" and found this site. I can't believe the nerve of these scam artists. I received the same exact message from two different emails. I also gave this person my name, address and cell phone number before seeing this site. After seeing this site, I emailed her back telling her not move in and if she has already sent the check just to cancel it as I will not be depositing. I haven't received anything, so I am hoping that this scam has ended...

Can these scam artists do anything with my name, address, and cell phone number??
Below is the 1st of two emails I received from this Jenifer so that others can also compare:

bon jour,
Thanks once again Ythe quick reply,I would have loved to come and

see
the place but like I told you before,i'm leaving now to see my sick

uncle ,i can only
communicate through email but I will, whenever i get there but

before that i will
want to secure the place,I am very happy meeting a person like

you,It 's nice reading
from you again and i will never ever want to loose the room even

without seeing
the place .I am planning on renting for 6-12 months for now but

whatever my plans might be in the future I'll let you know.

I just have my dressers,computer table,kitchen utensils and a queen
size bed,2 big luggages and my car to be shipped and I hope that It

wont be a problem

I am making plans to secure place because I'll like to move in

immediately
I get back from France.With the way we ve communicated,I am

okay
with you and i want you to know that i don't want to make any travel
plans without securing a place down now.I've told my uncle

understand
more about you and the place,He is really comfortable and he told

me
that it is a nice area he had lived in the states before and he said

that
i should not afford to loose your place also he said that i should try

and
make sure that i hold down the place,so i thought of it and i will be

making
payment to hold down the place and the mode of payment will be
the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment

which is in form of a
CHECK or MONEY ORDER so pls let me know if this mode of

payment is ok by you.

And if YES pls provide me with the following information to get the

payment to you.
Your full name as it will appear on the payment,your work place

address to
ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier

service,your phone number
on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to

send to your work address
because you will always be available at work from morning till

evening but if home
address it will be sitting in your mail and no one will be at home to

receive
the package.And if you don't receive package at your office address

then
I guess your home address will be good for the delivery right ? But

to
avoid any delay of you receiving at home then I guess any
address will be fine as long as you will be able to receive it.

Kindly get back to me with this requested address contact
information so that we can proceed asap bye for now..

Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay
merci
Jenifer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:21 am 

Hello folks,

I just got suckered into this scam myself. I started suspecting something when my g/f wrote her, and she wrote me back not answering the questions my g/f had written her.

She called herself Lynda James and said she was in Rapid City SD. the address was legit. it was only when i called the reference in London, that i realized it was a scam.

Has anyone actually lost money due to her?

Feel free to inform me.

Also, I did receive a similar email that was mentioned but from a guy. saying he's from england relocating to Canada. It's kinda similar to the once that where previously posted. but he was saying his work site was going to send me a check. only heard from him twice, and when i called the number he gave me, there was just no answer. so I'm still not sure about this one.

Question: What do these people want? i mean, what could you possibly do with a name and an address when security levels are so high nowadays? i mean, you'd need at least a date of birth and security questions and such. Are these people just out there to harass us honest people or what?

thanks
//Santiago

PS.
ad this to the list of emails :
lynda_james12@geekzonemail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 pm 

Just got another email from Lynda:

To: santiagothemusician@hotmail.com
Subject: Favour please
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:28:06 -0900

Hi ,
I am very happy for the concern,and i want to thank you for giving me the room,I really appreciate it. I want to let You know that i'll make it up to You and will be arriving by the first week in adecemberbut will be mailing the payment to you as soon as i can as i have said,and it will get to you soon,Please let me know if this is okay by You .Tell Adriana that i don't get it.
i want you to know that my furnitures and my car will be deliver before my arrival,please do let me know if you can be there to help me recieve my furnitures and my car ,I won't cause you any financial problem as i will be including the shipper's fee in the payment that i'll be sending ...So you will be getting the shipper's fee and the rent fee together ,You will just deduct your rent fee and keep the shipper's fee till he comes to deliever my things
I really appreciate you for u've been so nice from the
start.

I guess she finally reacted to the Adriana thing....
I still can't see the point in all of this...
I mean,sending a fake check, to get someone to cash it, and then ask for part of it back.. seems like too much work for just a couple of grand.
And does this person actually send furniture and things? Why bother sending just a check. seems like soooo much work for nothing. And nowadays, banks check up on checks on the spot. unless it's a known check. But most the time i have a hard time cashing pay checks from major companies just cos they're not "known".
and this time, she was a blond in the pix.

so here's what i'm replying. (just to have some fun with the situation)

Hello Lynda.

Why would your car be "shipped" from the US? why wouldn't you just drive it here?
I'd suggest just driving across the border with all your stuff. it's only a 4 hr drive. i've done it many times.

give me a call when you're in Wpg.

take care
//Santiago and Adriana

if she does write me back, i'll ask how come she went from a skinny brunet to a "fat" blond. ;)

And what p#$%@ me off the most, is that i'm actually this person! as in, i'm the one traveling abroad on a tight budget, relying on internet friends and random people on the street to find places to stay and to get around in the world. well, at times. and this is why people don't trust each other anymore. so in the long run, i'm the one losing out because of people like this!

At least if this person would do this to get a free place to stay because they're down on their luck or something. but not just mess around on the internet harassing people trying to set up a business.

anyways.. enough self pitty ;)

let me know of any updates please
//S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm 

Hi, I was just hit by the same scammer. Thanks for including your information on this board. Obviously this person is still attempting to scam others. I wanted to include this story as she/he continues to create issues for others. BEWARE.

js

Subject: am interested
Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 2:44 AM

Hi
Thanks so much for replying my email,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have alot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and yourself.
More about me again i am a nurse,26 years old..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in france as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french

I lived almost all my life way in paris before coming down to SD,I am presently in south dakota now (really i know that most renter will love to meet the person renting to before move in)i cant judge myself but i am a Godfearing and straight forward person that respect you and your privacy, I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle after my mum died...she was a nurse before she died,so i knew much about nursing before she died,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs,and we were also in alabama when they had the attack of hurricane katrina

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state, because i understand that i'll be doing good overthere as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live overthere..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires on that now...
Right now.I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,but want to secured it now

Thanks..

Katherine A bientot j'espere

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next