ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craigs List Scam
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm 

I inquried about a Mac computer for sale in the Sacramento, California area, and this is the response that I recieved, I am sure it is a Scam.

Hi,
The system is still available, it's in perfect physical/external, as well as functional/operational condition without any scratches or dead pixels on the monitor, it has 2 years and 8 months remainig Apple Care warranty. The price I`m selling it for is $2000 which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Sacramento but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this system without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They will take care of the delivery with a 14-day return policy so you will have the chance to inspect it before final decision.
If you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

I then wrote back and asked where the computer was, if it was in Sacramento, I could go and pick it up.

This is the response that I got back:

the system is in Los Angeles (at MoneyBookers storage facility). Usually they deliver the product with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and pick up prior to delivery you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 25 days until you have it which is more than I`m willing to wait. The best price I can offer you is $1950 including all the taxes. If you agree with this price let me explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can proceed:
To start the official transaction, I need your full name and shipping address.
As soon as I receive your info, I will forward it to MoneyBookers, they start the transaction and will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.) One of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle the payment. You have to make the payment using the exact details they will provide you with and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the payment information, they verify it and will take care of the delivery. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the system and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they will transfer the Apple Care protection plan into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
Anyway, they will explain you detailed the entire process.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:31 pm 

Yes that's definately a scam. Unless you can pick up the actual article in person, keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 pm 

Just in case you're not 100% sure this is a scam, read the email that i received from the "seller" reguarding my inquiry about a tuba.

Hi,
The tuba is still available, it's in great condition and the price I`m selling it for is $2000, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Portland but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this tuba without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
If you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:05 pm 

Just a follow up to my previous post. After seeing how similar the first email response from this scammer was to both of us I figured I'd play him a little and see if he gives the same second response. I told the "seller" that I have a friend that lives in Portland and I would like him to check it out before I purchase it. his unsurprising response was:

Hi again,
the tuba is in Seattle at MoneyBookers storage facility. Usually they deliver the products with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and pick up prior to delivery you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 25 days until you have it which is more than I`m willing to wait.
If you want to purchase it, let me explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can proceed:
To start the official transaction I need your full name and delivery address, I forward it to MoneyBookers and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.). One of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle the payment. You have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account and start the shipping process.You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the tuba before funds are released. If you decide to keep it, they will release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Post subject: Craigs list Polaris quad scam...more of the same
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 pm 

Here is another. I replied to a Craig's list add for a 2007 Polaris 700 Quad. Here are the exact same replies

Hi,
The ATV is in great condition, has been properly maintained and never been flipped or wrecked. It has a clear title and the price I`m selling it for is $2980, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Sacramento but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this ATV without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

When I asked to see the quad first...his reply...
the ATV is stored in Los Angeles (at MoneyBookers storage facility). Usually they deliver the products with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and pick up prior to delivery you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 25 days until you have it which is more than I`m willing to wait.
If you want to purchase it, let me explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can proceed:
To start the official transaction I need your full name and delivery address, I forward it to MoneyBookers and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.). One of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle the payment. You have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account and start the shipping process. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to test and inspect the ATV before funds are released. If you decide to keep it, they have the power of attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Craigs List Scam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am 

I am dealing right now with a guy on Craigs List doing the exact same thing, maybe the same guy:

Sent: Wed 2/20/08 1:03 PM
To: [name]@hotmail.com)
Hi again [name],
the bike is stored in San Francisco (at MoneyBookers storage facility). Usually they deliver the products with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and pick up prior to delivery you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 25 days until you have it which is more than I`m willing to wait.
To start the official transaction I need your full name and delivery address, I forward it to MoneyBookers and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.). One of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle the payment. You have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account and start the shipping process. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to test and inspect the bike before funds are released. If you decide to keep it, they have the power of attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

To: prestonderek@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Buell on Craigs List
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:14:54 +0000

Hi Derek,

Is the bike somewhere that I can inspect it and look it over? I live near LA.

thx-
[name]-

To: [name]@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Buell on Craigs List
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:09:28 +0000

Hi,
the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been dropped or abused in any way. It has a clear title and the price I`m selling it for is $2800, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Los Angeles but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this bike without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:43 pm 

This is definitely a scam. I received a similar pitch from an ad on Craig's list in Chattanooga, TN:

It`s a 650cc engine size, the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been dropped or abused in any way. It has a clear title and the price I`m selling it for is $2980, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Chattanooga but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this bike without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
I am waiting your email.

When I asked where I could see the bike:

the bike is stored in Raleigh (at MoneyBookers storage facility). Usually they deliver the products with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and pick up prior to delivery you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 25 days until you have it which is more than I`m willing to wait.
To start the official transaction I need your full name and delivery address, I forward it to MoneyBookers and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.). One of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle the payment. You have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account and start the shipping process. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to test and inspect the bike before funds are released. If you decide to keep it, they have the power of attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.

Anyway, they will explain you detailed the entire process.\

In this case, I was alerted buy the fact that the price was lower than other models I had seen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 am 

BEWARE OF ANYONE SELLING PRODUCTS IN THE USA WHO LIVES IN ENGLAND AND WANT TO SELL YOU SOMETHING VIA ESCROW (Royal Mail or MoneyBookers). This scam is taking place in the West Palm Beach Florida area (and other places) on Craigslist. These particular scammers are selling MacBook Pros at unusually cheap prices.

Here are two "cut-and-pasted" replies.
Hi,
The laptop is in perfect physical/external, as well as
functional/operational condition. The macbook was slightly used, it
has 2 years and 8 months remaining Apple Care warranty. The price I`m selling it for is $1600, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Miami but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll
be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using
MoneyBookers services so I can sell this laptop without difficulty. I
left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are
supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day
inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
If you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how
MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks
Hello,

I still have the macbook pro.
My name is Stan Sherwood and I am now in Liverpool, United Kingdom.
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what
we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a
worldwide delivery company called Royal mail. Royal mail is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the macbook pro.
With this procedure you will be able to check the macbook pro before I receive the payment.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the macbook pro right away.
Let me know what you think.

Thank you!
Stan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:01 am 

Shoot I got the exact sam letter im waiting a responce back from them since they are close to me. Heres the letter

"Curtis Garner" <curtsgarnrer6@hotmail.com> Add Mobile Alert
To: "" <@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: GSXR
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:05:26 +0000
Hi,
There are 11370 miles on it, the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been dropped or abused in any way. It has a clear title and the price I`m selling it for is $2900, which is including all shippings charges.
I live in Sacramento but I`m currently working in the UK (London) and I`ll be staying here for the next approximately 7 months, anyway I`m using MoneyBookers services so I can sell this bike without difficulty. I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed) and refunding.
I am waiting your email.
Thanks

Ill repost tomorrow with the bs they send me back lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 am 
Gold Member

It's a scam. They will say it is in some sort of storage facility and they won't let you see it up front. You will have to wire money to the person and then they will "ship you the bike" with a 14 or 15 day return period. You will never see the bike or your money again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 am 

Moneybookers and other services NEVER handle merchandise. They don't have "warehouses" around the country. Never buy anything that you can't see/touch/ride/drive, etc. first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:55 pm 

I can add to the collection although our scammers were scummier as they pretended to be missionaries and the father of a son who died in Iraq needing to sale off his possessions. The rest is exactly the same. Our sale items were four wheelers btw. My husband and I decided to keep them going and for every warehouse they came up where they items were being stored by MoneyBookers, we either had a relative or Coworker who could go check it out. Following is our final correspondence:

"Hi Trumballina,

Awww, I guess our four wheeling transaction has come to an end since I do have relatives in each and every city where you have a Moneybookers warehouse storing your valuable possessions ...alas...I have another game we can play. You can deposit some money in my Paypal account and then wait 14 days and I will deposit the same amount with interest into your paypal account. Now, since I thought of this game, you will need to go first. Let me explain how paypal works. I will give you a link to my paypal account and you can just deposit the money. Paypal will make sure that I deposit some money in your account within 14 days, and they will make sure that I pay interest too. If I don't they will send the paypal police to find me and then I will have to pay double the amount! This way you and I are both protected. You can rest assured you will get your money PLUS interest. In case you are not familiar with the Paypal police, they are a vicious bunch and you don't won't to mess with them.

My game is a little better than your game though because A) I get the $'s, and B) I don't have to make up a lying missionary tale that maybe at sometime in my life when I am no longer a cheating scumbag I will feel guilty about. Cheers,

Carlotta

On Jul 14, 2008, at 5:17 AM, TRUMBALL VERDINO wrote:

Hi ,

the quad is stored in Memphis (at MoneyBookers official location). When i handed the quad to MoneyBookers i mentioned that it's available only for delivery to the address i will forward them , i also paid all the shipping charges.

To start the official transaction I need your full name and shipping address.

As soon as I receive your info I will forward it to MoneyBookers, they will start the transaction and notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, my account status etc.) One of their agents will be assigned to handle the payment. You will have a 14-day return policy, so you will have the chance to test and inspect the quad and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they have the power of attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.

I am waiting your email.

Thanks

Hope no one is taken in by this group. This guy was in the UK on a Mission trip and the other was trying to settle his son's estate I guess from Iraq. Scum!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:41 pm 

I too have stumbled a disapointing deal regarding sound equipment in the Sacramento Craigslist this morning (7-19-08). Its nice to know my gut feeling on the response I got rang true seeing the other examples posted here doing a craigslist scam search. Here is my response from andy.johnson567@yahoo.com.

Hello,
The item is still for sale, the total price of the item with shipping included is 1100 USD.
I am the only owner of the item, i have all the documents since i bought it.The item comes with all manuals.
The sale of the item, delivery, will be done using DHL Express Company Shipping takes 2-3 days.I have a contract signed with DHL they will take care of everything so you don't have to worry.
The funds will be held at (DHL) , and me i will be receiving the money only after you check, inspect and decide to keep the item.
For more info you can contact the shipping company by e-mail (dhl.express.company@inbox.com).
If you are interested and want to purchase the item , contact me with your details ( Full Name/Adress/Telephone/Fax, etc.)

Thank you very much for your interest !

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all here for proving my intuition is not overridden by my desire to own this some day soon, besides I had a real DHL account until March. I am truly bummed. So be aware of this andy.johnson567@yahoo.com and the DHL Express Delivery scam, now involving sound equipment from Sacramento, Calif.

Shop Safe,

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:21 pm 

Always use a reputable escrow service like those with guru.com I think its called Safepay.com. They wont release funds till you get your goods. As soon as you tell them that, they will disappear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:32 am 

These types of offers are scams. They will claim that the merchandise is boxed up or in a crate at a warehouse. They will state it is in excellent condition and will be delivered for free after full payment is sent via Western Union or Moneygram. They will tell you to send the money to a 3rd party agent who will hold the money until you receive the item and verify that it is what it is. They will guarantee it and usually will indicate that e-bay will insure the cost of the item up to $20,000. If you want to meet them to see the item they will say that it is in a warehouse or that they are in another country on business or have been transfered there. Tell them you have a friend in the area who could meet them and would pay them after he sees it and they will make up another excuse or just clam up.
Also as soon as you contact them and go back to the ad on craigslist or whatever they remove the ad immediately and then start to reel you in. Remember if it is too good to be true, it probably is just a big SCAM. Don't let greed blind you...NEVER!!!!
Dealing on a local basis is the best but it can also be a risk because most sellers want a cash only deal and depending on how much an item will cost you, they know you will usually have the cash on hand in order to try to dicker the price. It could be a trap and they could rob you of the cash or worse. Try to pick a public area or bring along a friend and a cell phone. Know the area you are going into. Also work the deal with no cash on hand. If the item is legit and you have looked at it and tested it and all seems OK, then go to your bank's local branch and withdraw the money. The world today is full of people who just want to SCREW you. Be careful!!!