There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does this sound fishy?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 am 

Hello'
Thanks so much for your prompt response,I am very happy for your reply that shows the kind of person i am renting from....Im really glad to have details about the room...its just great..its what im looking for...you;re God sent...i am an easy going lady and surely u will enjoy my stay in the u.s.a...i am a very clean and nice person..i dont do drugs....i always want to be part of people's dream....cux i am very dedicated person..i really want to promise u that we ll surely have the best of time..ok....
Well, now that all is set with the room... i would like you to provide me with your details so that i can pay you in advace and get everything secured before my arrival to the states..ok? so pls i would like you to send me
Your Full Name:
Address
Phone number
and as soon as i get this, i will have it forwarded to my boss and he would write you a check and send it to you asap Would be waiting to hear from you asap...

please reply via cutemauren@yaho.com
Regards

--------

Hello,

Good to hear from you with the required details in sending the payment to you and i am so happy that you considered me as the potential roomate for the for the room....and to the questions of wen i will be n the states...i am a US based but becuase of the nature of my job ia m presently in Spain,Valencia for Humanetarian service officer and i should be able to move in as soon as my boss have the paymenbt sent to you cx i wil be forwarding your details to him so that he can make out the payment to you as fast as possible ok...be good and stay kool...i hope to hear from you as soon as you have this email with you....once again thank you so much for the opportunity of letting be a potential candiate for the room

-------
For this last one I asked her when she was coming to the us and if she could cal me before she moves in so we could talk and inquired as to why her english was so bad if she was form the US. I also asked for the name of the company she works for as a reference.

-------
Hello,

Thank you for the reply.....the payment should get to you before the end of this week...which means either by friday or saturday it should be there or something.....i try my best in speaking good english but no one is perfect at all...i told yu in the email that i am a Us based but presently in Spain for my work.....and to he reference you asked for ...i guess i will have to get to the states and present all the papers you might need from me ok...i hope this has not made me loose the room rite?....i will try to give you a call before i get to the states ok....be good and stay kool.

Best Regards

------
I figure this sounds fishy to me but after reading this site since she hasn't aked any real specific questions. I keep asking for an exact date as to when she will be moving in but she either doesn't answer or just says "soon"

Post subject: Re: Does this sound fishy?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:25 am 
Gold Member

Yeah it is a scam. I picked up on the scam by the slang word cux. She won't give you an exact move in date because she will never show up. What will end up happening is "her boss" will send you the check but it will be for more than you asked for and then she will ask you to deposit the check and wire transfer the remaining funds to TNT delivery service or somewhere else to cover the cost of moving her stuff over to the US. Once you do that you will never hear from her again and you will lose all the money you sent and will have to pay your bank for the counterfeit check that you deposited. I would cease all communication with this person and continue looking for a roommate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 pm 

Yeah that's what I figured I pushed again for an exact date again since I told her I travel a bit and need to make sure I'll be home. But yet again she just said that she would come as soon as I get the payment. At first I thought maybe I'll see where this goes but not cash the check she sends till she actually got here (if she ever gets here) but I think that's too much work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 am 
Gold Member

Don't waste your time, it is a scam. A roommate will tell you when they are moving because they are either excited to move or have to move by a certain date, especially if they are from overseas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 am 

This scammer is still active under the same email address; see the following:

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:12 AM
To: hous-958177584@craigslist.org
Subject: $600 / 1br - Furnished Carrboro Apartment (Carrboro)

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hello There
I came across your AD posted on http://www.Craigslist.org that you have a sublet space available...I am Mauren Lauren,26,female,from USA but lived and work in China,I am a graduate of Buffalo University,NY where i studied Economics,I worked as a sales Representative in a fast growing Industry,Goliath Industry,China.so i will be coming to USA this middle of this month to advertise some of our products.I will want you to confirm the availability of the space,what price does it goes for?and how long you are willing to rent it out?Waiting to read from you Asap.
Regards
Mauren Lauren.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 pm 

This looks like an identical scam. Here are some excerpts.

"I want the 12 month lease to start on the 1st of Jan 2009, I will also want to notify you that I have in the mean time arrange with an interior decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures, entertainment system and other appliances that I will need in the property, they will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states. So the check of $6,500 will be sent over to you which is a relocation grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $2550 and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so I can have the place all prepared for my arrival. All applications and lease will be signed as soon as I arrive."

Now, here is the question, i will not be falling for this, is there anyone i can call to try to track this down, does anyone investigate this stuff or is this person just out of the country so no luck?

It is a shame that Bruce Ivins isn't around to forward refund letters on to these people..

Names
Scammer
RTH Insurance
John Peterson
3.10 Chrystal Macmillan Building
15a George Square
Edinburgh
UK EH8 9LD
Phone:+447024068670

Reference
Dr.Gerard G Nelson.
Abbey House
25 Clarendon Road
Redhill Surrey
England RH1 1QZ
gnelson01@live.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 pm 

and here is one this person has sent me in the last few minutes. i actually google chatted with the person for a short time. but each time the person goes "offline" after i send a message. the person will not respond to the questions i have been asking for them to verify easily....

Hello ,
Thanks for the details on the Property, I am satisfied and will like to go ahead with the renting process, I will like you to go ahead and reserve the property for me.

So I will be needing the following informations so that the check for payment of the deposit $1000 can be processed and posted to you soon.

Name:............
Address:.............
Phone number(cell and land):............

I want the 12 month lease to start on the 1st of Jan 2009, I will also want to notify you that I have in the mean time arrange with an interior decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures, entertainment system and other appliances that I will need in the property, they will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states. So the check of $4,500 will be sent over to you which is a relocation grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $1000 and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so I can have the place all prepared for my arrival. All applications and lease will be signed as soon as I arrive.

Also for familiarization I Am John Peterson, I am 46 years of age, a British citizen, married to a lovely lady, with two daughter (Family staying over in the UK), I work with RTH Insurance Group (UK), as a loss adjuster agent, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i don't keep pets.

I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a tenant with you.

I await the details.
Below is my present landlords information for reference :

Dr.Gerard G Nelson.
Abbey House
25 Clarendon Road
Redhill Surrey
England RH1 1QZ
gnelson01@live.com

and more, after asking him about giving me work info, landlord phone number, the company he is using as an interior decorator, etc.......

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM, johnpeterson711 <johnpeterson711@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello,
Thanks to your prompt response,please do find my details below,also i already email you my present landlord details in my previous mail,i ancitipate your prompt response,thanks

--
John Peterson
15a George Square
Edinburgh
UK EH8 9LD
Phone:+447024068670
[/color]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:17 pm 

hi... i just got the same thing...

should have known it sounded off..

problem is i've sent over my name, address, and phone number.

i told her i cannot give the apart and to not send the check.

however now i am worreid that they have my name and address... does anyone know if they can use the info to sign up for credit cards etc.. .or do other negative things.. should i sign up for a credit watch?????????????????????????????

many thanks to everyone who posted...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

It Appears you have received good advice...same issue here, however took the Fed EX/overnighted check to the bank. Where they sent it to their Department handling Fraudulent checks. It appears, these are quite easy to counterfeit, even from well know banks such as Wells Fargo.

Trust me on this...HUGE SCAM. I was never asked to refund any monies or pay for shipping until the sender (scammer) tracked the packet, I had already gone to the bank, when I returned, had a request for an "EMERGENCY" need for the shipping to be paid out of that check...which of course, I would never have done, until check cleared.

NEVER BELIEVE THESE WONDERFUL SOUNDING PEOPLE. My banker stated, as we can see from this site, that this is all too common...usually someone with great qualities, jobs, morals, etc.

I lost nothing, but my belief there are as many good people in the world as I desired to believe.

Also, I found out that Cashier's checks and Money Orders are easily counterfeited. That I did not know.

I hope there is more we as American's who fall prey to these folks, can do more than just report on a B.B.

So, Yep, too Good to be true, and is not true. Glad you did not fall prey.

As to the address info and phone number, I am not certain but I would think more info would be necessary to still one's idenity. I will check into that myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:30 am 

Yup, here "she" is again trying to rent my house in central NJ. F*8c*ers!

> From: Mauren Lauren <cutemauren@yahoo.com>
> Subject: $2500 Furnsished short term rental, or rent to own, near Flemington, NJ (Sergeantsville)
> To: skylite530@yahoo.com
> Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 4:25 AM
> Hello There
> I came across your AD posted on http://www.Craigslist.org
> that you have a sublet space available...I am Mauren
> Lauren,26,female,from USA but lived and work in China,I am a
> graduate of Buffalo University,NY where i studied
> Economics,I worked as a sales Representative in a fast
> growing Industry,Goliath Industry,China.so i will be coming
> to USA this middle of this month to advertise some of our
> products.I will want you to confirm the availability of the
> space,what price does it goes for?and how long you are
> willing to rent it out?Waiting to read from you Asap.
> Regards
> Mauren Lauren.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 am 

Just a note, the company the check was was drawn off a real company..whom I have notified via email of this potential counterfiet check..They have not responded..Seems they would want to know..if the check had indeed be deposited and cleared their acct..seems they would have been scamed as well. Who knows where the email went to in terms of their company..

The website has a phone number, founded and ran by a Christian man..legitmate company..I will send one more Email, contact my bank and see if they care to confer with them. Well, Hopefully, we all can scare this site with everyone we meet.

What with Walmart Gift Cards being scammed now, and others as well..you load them, go to use them, and someone else in another state will have already used them. Look on a news site for story. Is anything safe? Even money is Counterfeited so, seems no currency is safe. This is something that is gonna make GOD very very angry, for those of you who are believers, I wish we could unite and do something like the cybersex folks who intentially try to catch predators. Well, Merry Christmas to ALL...I really mean that..not being negative on that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:11 pm 

bathmatt, cmort2,

thanks for taking the time to post your suspicion so close to the holidays. we received the exact same email inquiry from John Peterson. the name and address in the email is from a publicly available university profile, so I sent him an email (its not his fault, but wanted to let him know).

Disappointing to learn its a scam, but i'm glad you posted your experience so we didn't forward our contact info.

further investigation found this:
http://muskrat.wordpress.com/2008/05/16 ... ike-jones/
(same email, different name)

Happy Holidays.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 pm 

Hello,
I just this morning received a response to a condo posting that my husband and I have listed on Craig's List. I responded before going to work. I was anxious to get home for a response to the questions I had answered for him and sure enough I had received the following.

Hello ,
Thanks for the details on the Property, I am satisfied and will like to go ahead with the renting process, I will like you to go ahead and reserve the property for me.

So I will be needing the following informations so that the check for payment of the deposit $3150 can be processed and posted to you soon.

Name:............
Address:.............
Phone number(cell and land):............

I want the 12 month lease to start on the 20th of Jan 2009, I will also want to notify you that I have in the mean time arrange with an interior decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures, entertainment system and other appliances that I will need in the property, they will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states. So the check of $6,700 will be sent over to you which is a relocation grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $3150 and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so I can have the place all prepared for my arrival. All applications and lease will be signed as soon as I arrive.

Also for familiarization I Am John Peterson, I am 46 years of age, a British citizen, married to a lovely lady, with two daughter (Family staying over in the UK), I work with RTH Insurance Group (UK), as a loss adjuster agent, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i don't keep pets.

I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a tenant with you.

I await the details.
Below is my present landlords information for reference :

Dr.Gerard G Nelson.
Abbey House
25 Clarendon Road
Redhill Surrey
England RH1 1QZ
gnelson01@live.com

Regards

--
Happen New Year

John Peterson
15a George Square
Edinburgh
UK EH8 9LD

I was quite excited and called my husband to take a look. He being a sceptic said Candy look at the grammar. A Scotsman would never write like that. Our son is here for the weekend and he thought it was just the UK manner but off the cuff said why not google him. So I did. and I found this site! So here it is to help others who might fall victim.
Thanks for being here.

12candycane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:14 pm 

I got an email from John Peterson also looking to rent a property that I own.
At this point, I have given my name, property address and phone #.

What exactly is the scam?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 pm 

I googled John Peterson to find that he is a professor at the University of Edenborough Scotland. I got his email address and emailed him. He emailed me back and said that he was "the real John Peterson" and that his name was being used and had nothing to do with him. He advised that I notify several web advertisers ie Craig's List-- which I did not do as this person or persons just scan the listings and prey. I don't think there is a way to stop them. We just need to be informed.