ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Job offer from Estonia...scam???
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:17 pm 

Hi,

I'm new here! :D I'm hoping someone can answer my question about a job offer.

My sister has been looking for a full-time employment opportunity. She has her resume posted on careerbuilder.com and foreign job website like careerbuilder. Recently, she received a job offer from a company supposedly located in Estonia. She and I, however, were worried this might be a scam. Here is the e-mail:

Dear job seeker.

We are glad to inform you, that we found your resume. After careful evaluation of your resume we are interested in discussing with you employment opportunities in OPO Consulting Estonia. Our company can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career ? a place for people to learn, to achieve and to grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. The talent and passion of our people are critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity and excellence. Below you will find more detailed information about our company.

OPO Consulting Estonia is a leading professional services firm on investment banking, tax and legal, and transactions services market. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions of the world to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their business. Our customized approach combines deep insight into the dynamics of companies and markets with close collaboration at all levels of the client organization. This ensures that our clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, build more capable organizations and secure lasting results. OPO Consulting Estonia has been involved in many of the highest profile transactions in the Europe and has offered strategic and financial advisory services to all major Western European and American clients in all leading economic sectors.

Considering the rapid development of today`s emerging market of financial operations and increasing demand of our clients for qualified services in the investment banking and transactions services, we need qualified and motivated individuals for the position of Account Manager. You may not have extensive job experience or knowledge of the financial world and come from a wide variety of backgrounds and interests?but more important is the desire to work in a friendly atmosphere with like-minded people and share the integrity and intellectual curiosity.

Your main duties will include:
* Communicating and building-up long-term relations with the clients
* Processing payments between partners, clients and our company
* Recognizing, identifying, analyzing and evaluating data

In our industry, the demands on you can be high, but the satisfaction and challenge of working alongside bright people on challenging projects offer the prospect of a truly rewarding career. We will provide you with rewarding compensation, i.e. you will be able to earn about $2000-$4000 a month. We spend a great deal of time ensuring that people are compensated appropriately and we aim to provide highly competitive pay levels over the long term. Besides that, we ensure every our employee and his family with full package of life-insurance to support health and well-being. The main advantage of our offer the opportunity to combine your main work with this one, having flexible time-schedule and managing you time independently. In addition to our basic compensation and benefits offerings, OPO Consulting Estonia offers a variety of other employee services and discounts: employee investing services (investment education, portfolio allocation services), employee discounts and services program (online discounts, hou

In order to start your work, please, find the contract in the attachment, and fill it in after studying it carefully. Then, send it to us via fax +1 (501) 325-9718. After you are done with the contract, we kindly ask you to write us an email, stating your last name and the date of sending us the fax, so that we could process the employment in the timely manner.

OPO Consulting Estonia.
Narva mnt 7, 15012,
Estonia, Tallinn.
WEB: http://www.consultingestonia.info
TEL: + 372 2299777
FAX: + 372 2299778
FAX for US employees: +1 (501) 325-9718

In addition, the company attached an "employment contract" to the e-mail. I was also concerned since my sister has never applied for a job with them, nor has she been interviewed by the company. They didn't tell her how they found her resume either. I thought it was strange that the company wanted to offer her a job despite my sister never being interviewed. Furthermore, the e-mail and contract had spelling and grammar errors which I thought a little weird.

I asked my friend, who is a new job recruitment officer, and she said it's not too suspicious. She thought that the e-mail and contract may have had spelling errors due to English not being the employer's first language. Her guess is that the e-mail was translated from the language they speak in Estonia (which is polish?? I'm not sure...) and that the translator probably forgot to do a spell-check. :? I also had my friend "check out" the company and see if it was valid or not. She thought it was okay, simply because they have a "nice, professional website" (and since her Polish friend thought the same thing); also, my friend thinks it's valid since Estonia is a country. :? (I'm wondering how well of a recruiter she is...) To make this short, her advice was that my sister should call the company and talk to them. "If a 5 min. phone call can lead to a $40,000 salary, what's the downside?", she said.

To end, I don't think my sister should call or respond until she finds out if this is a scam or not. I'm hoping that someone can help us out!! Thanks for taking the time to read this!!! :)

Post subject: Re: Job offer from Estonia...scam???
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

DreamHarmony289 wrote:
Then, send it to us via fax +1 (501) 325-9718.

501 is an Arkansas area code

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 am 
Gold Member

Here is a whois.net lookup on the company's website that you posted

Domain ID:D22753321-LRMS
Domain Name:CONSULTINGESTONIA.INFO
Created On:10-Dec-2007 21:16:53 UTC
Last Updated On:22-Feb-2008 17:03:58 UTC
Expiration Date:10-Dec-2008 21:16:53 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Blog.com Digital Communications Inc. (R315-LRMS)
Registrant ID:PP-SP-001
Registrant Name:Domain Admin
Registrant Organization:PrivacyProtect.org
Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 97
Registrant Street2:All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Moergestel
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code:5066 ZH
Registrant Country:NL
Registrant Phone:+45.36946676
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:contact@privacyprotect.org
Admin ID:PP-SP-001
Admin Name:Domain Admin
Admin Organization:PrivacyProtect.org
Admin Street1:P.O. Box 97
Admin Street2:All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Moergestel
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code:5066 ZH
Admin Country:NL
Admin Phone:+45.36946676
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:contact@privacyprotect.org
Billing ID:PP-SP-001
Billing Name:Domain Admin
Billing Organization:PrivacyProtect.org
Billing Street1:P.O. Box 97
Billing Street2:All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Billing Street3:
Billing City:Moergestel
Billing State/Province:
Billing Postal Code:5066 ZH
Billing Country:NL
Billing Phone:+45.36946676
Billing Phone Ext.:
Billing FAX:
Billing FAX Ext.:
Billing Email:contact@privacyprotect.org
Tech ID:PP-SP-001
Tech Name:Domain Admin
Tech Organization:PrivacyProtect.org
Tech Street1:P.O. Box 97
Tech Street2:All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Moergestel
Tech State/Province:
Tech Postal Code:5066 ZH
Tech Country:NL
Tech Phone:+45.36946676
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:contact@privacyprotect.org
Name Server:SKY.MERCURY.ORDERBOX-DNS.COM
Name Server:SKY.VENUS.ORDERBOX-DNS.COM
Name Server:SKY.EARTH.ORDERBOX-DNS.COM
Name Server:SKY.MARS.ORDERBOX-DNS.COM

If you notice, their address is " All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org"

This feels like a scam to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:22 am 

With the help from my good friend Pavel who lives in Estonia, I did some research on this company and it seems as "OPO Consulting Estonia" is pretty real. The address that they have listed on the website Narva mnt 7, 15012, Estonia, Tallinn is registered with "OPO Consulting Estonia". I asked my friend to gather some more information about this particular company, so he visited their office in Tallinn and it appears as they are really hiring on that position and were surprised to know that there methods of recruitment looks like scam.
It smells likes someone is going to be fired :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 am 

Hey DreamHarmony,

I personally received the exact same letter. It came from the following sender:

Elvin Mcclendon [wagar@prazorg.fastfile.biz]

You mention:

DreamHarmony289 wrote:
To make this short, her advice was that my sister should call the company and talk to them. "If a 5 min. phone call can lead to a $40,000 salary, what's the downside?", she said.

I partially agree. However, reading over the "contract"... IF this is a newly developed type of scam, it appears as if the company ("scamists") will attempt to use the legality aspect of this contract for pressuring you to follow through with their requests. In other words "you signed the contract, so if you don't perform the transactions we request, we'll sue you".

So, personally, this looks to me like a new twist on an existing scam. In the email and on the website they state

Your main duties will include:

Sounds just like the "Deposit this $5000 check in YOUR account, then quickly turn around and make a payment to the "client" ...and in a week the check you deposited bounces!" scam.

Bottom line... IF you follow through with this company, I'd LOVE to hear if the results are legit. If that be the case, I may pursue this offer also. Feel free to discuss this offline at my email listed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:14 am 
Gold Member

rick_r wrote:
With the help from my good friend Pavel who lives in Estonia, I did some research on this company and it seems as "OPO Consulting Estonia" is pretty real. The address that they have listed on the website Narva mnt 7, 15012, Estonia, Tallinn is registered with "OPO Consulting Estonia". I asked my friend to gather some more information about this particular company, so he visited their office in Tallinn and it appears as they are really hiring on that position and were surprised to know that there methods of recruitment looks like scam.

If you are going to do this just be careful. Do not send any money away until you are sure it clears. If they ask why you aren't sending the money right away tell them your bank put a 14 day hold on the checks since you have never deposited that much money before.

Edit: Don't send money unless you are sure the check/money order has been Honored. :D

Last edited by russellj84 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:17 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

russellj84 wrote:
If you are going to do this just be careful. Do not send any money away until you are sure it clears.

Now seemed like a good time for a reminder to everyone on what banking terms REALLY mean . . .

What "Clear" really means:
"The check has cleared" does not mean the money in your account belongs to you. It only means that the clearing house has not sent the draft back for non-sufficient funds, closed account, or flag instructions on the account. It does not mean the draft was written by the account holder.

Depending on the size or purpose of the account, the account holder may not notice the absence of funds for several days after the draft has reached his bank. In fact, an account holder may have up to one full year to report an unauthorized draft.

Bank statements are usually sent out on the 1st or 15th of the month. If the transaction took place near one of those dates, the account holder may be unaware of the unauthorized transaction until statements are sent out the following month and time is taken to balance the statement.

What "Available funds" really means:
"Available funds" does not mean the money in your account belongs to you, even if a hold has been taken off the draft.

When you deposit a check into your bank account, your bank advances you the money for that check to keep the wheels of commerce moving. Of the millions and millions of checks processed every day, a relatively small number are returned because of a problem; because of this, banks and credit unions must automatically credit depositor accounts within a certain number of days.

A bank or credit union can make an exception to the rule and wait for a longer period of time on any given deposit before crediting the depositor account, but apart from such an exception the credit is automatic.

This credit to your account is called a "provisional loan" and is actually a no-signature loan from your bank to you. It does not mean that your bank has been credited by the account holder bank.

The only time the money in your account really belongs to you is when the check or money order has been HONORED, meaning your bank has been credited (paid) by the account holder bank.

ALWAYS ask your bank if the draft has been honored and DO NOT TOUCH THE MONEY until it has.

When in doubt about a draft, tell your bank to send the draft for COLLECTION.

Some banks are starting to use the terms "The check is pending" when the money has been deposited into the account, but the check has not yet been honored.

Sending a draft for Collection:
When you send a draft for Collection, it means that your bank or credit union will not put any money in your account until the draft has been paid, i.e. your bank has received the credit from the account holder bank.

Your bank or credit union will charge you a fee and give you an approximate time before the draft is honored. This time period may be as long as 6 to 8 weeks depending on the location of the account holder bank.

Some banks and credit unions will provide the collection service even if you do not have an account with them, so long as you pay the service charge.

(Thank you to Annie McGuire from Fraud-Aid for putting banking terms in a way that everyone can understand it.)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:21 am 
Gold Member

Thank you for that information Shawn. I did not know the lingo of banks so I would have given bad advice if it wasn't for you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

That is fine. This is one of the MAIN things I have learned in my time looking at these scams. What people THINK a banking term means and what it REALLY means are not the same.

I even saw a show on scams, which we were not a part of, in which the person on there who was giving tips to people said that the person should wait until the check clears . . . my jaw seriously dropped . . . WE DID wait until they told us our check had "cleared", but that was not enough.

This is why education about the scams AND banking terms is so important. I wish that we could get a public service annoucement telling people the banking terms info. (anyone know someone that does PSA's?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 am 

Thanks for all of the replies!! :D

Also, thanks Admin for the message on banking terms. I didn't know about any of that, so the information helps.

Well, I advised my sister that she maybe shouldn't reply. If they ask for money, I know my sister definitely will not reply; she can't afford to send them money. lol.

I'll tell her to read this post, and I'll let you all know what she decides. If anyone finds out any more information, please let me know!! Thank you!! Thanks for all of the help!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:58 am 
Gold Member

rick_r wrote:

Somehow, I find your statement hard to believe...............

Your first and only post you are able to "verify" what I fully believe to be a scam.

How interesting :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 am 

rick_r wrote:
With the help from my good friend Pavel who lives in Estonia, I did some research on this company and it seems as "OPO Consulting Estonia" is pretty real.

Yeah, and I'm the pope, really.

Let's have a look into this reputable firm:

http://www.consultingestonia.info/careers.php
Quote:
Accounting Manager

Responsibilities:

What we offer:

* 5 percent commission from each transaction, you will be able to earn about $2000-$4000 a month

This is pretty clearly the 'job' of a money laundering mule. No genuine company would recruit "accounting managers" or "payment processing agents" from among the untrained, unknown general population in a foreign country.

- Fake phone number + 372 2299777, see http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=ana ... ub=phonenr

- Claims to be in business since 2000 but the website was registered in Dec. 2007

- Private anonymous registration: No genuine financial company would do that.

I have seen the website template somewhere before but I can't remember where it was. Probably it can be found here: http://www.bobbear.co.uk/

Quote:

Yes, it's you, Ivan. :evil:

Eniac