ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think ive been scammed!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:42 pm 

I tried to apply to be an account receivable clerk at yahoo hot job! then there s this company name "Globalwoods" responded my resume. Here s the email.

Dear Applicant,

We got your resume and your application for the job of Accounts Receivable Position as posted on Yahoo Hot jobs. Our HR Managers have gone through your resume and due to some certain factors you have been picked as one of our possible candidate to be our Account Receivable Manager.

About us :
Our company is into Wholesales Fish Seafood Manufactures Fresh Frozen Packaged Fish Manufactures Canned/Cured Fish/Seafood Cold storage services, Meat products or by products processing services, Fish or fish products processing services, Poultry processing services

representative/Book Keeper in the United States, Canada, United kingdom, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Scotland, Poland, Belgium etc.

Your primary task as our accounts receivable Clerk of the company is to coordinate payments from customers and help us with the payment process.You are not involved in any sales. Once orders are received and sorted we deliver the product to a customer. After this has been done the customer has to pay for the products but in most cases we make our clients prepay for orders or items they order for . About 90 percent of our customers prefer to pay through Certified Checks or Money Orders drawn from the United State based on the amount involved. We have decided to open this new contract -to-hire job position for solving this problem.

Your First Primary task(Collection of Payments):

1. Receive payment from our Customers or Clients.
2. Cash Payment at your Bank or any cashing facilities near you.
3. Deduct 10 % which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed
4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to an y of the offices you will be contacted to send payment to, You'll have a lot of free time doing another job, because this job is part time, you'll get good income .But this job is very challenging and you should understand it. We are considering your application because you satisfy our requirements and we are sure you will be an earnest assistant till we start running our branch office in your state.

Get back to us with information below information , so that we can add your mailing address to our Regional database and forward it to our customers for them to send payments.

JOB APPLICATION FORM

First name...................
Last name....................
Address Line 1...............
Address Line 2...............
City.........................
State........................
Zip/Postal code..........................
Home phone...................
Cell phone...................

Your response to this email is important, so that we can be sure you want to work for us and reconfirm your mailing address details we have in our database.

Thanks For Your Total Understanding.

Regards

John Owen
Globalwoods
Director Staffing & Human Resources

_____________________________-

I didnt know anything about money order or check fraud before so next day they sent me 2 money orders worth $980 each. and then John Owen as the director staffing or whatever called me several times to cash em and ordered me the sent the money minus my 10% pay and transfer fee to Aghaunor Murphy, Goteborg, Sweden.

I cashed the money, and sent it to Sweden via western union. But dunno why after i sent it, I felt somethin wrong . So right after i came back home i typed money order fraud on google and noticed that what i did was wrong. So i got back to western union agent right away to cancel it before its too late.
Western Union canceled it. and returned the money to me , (minus the transfer fee)
I dont know what my bank gonna say about money orders that i cashed yesterday. I am 100% sure they are fake. but its been only a day.

I know I was lucky to find out before its too late. I only lost $103 for the transfer fee. much better than lose $2000.

I was shocked when i found out alot of innocent people ve became victims of check/money orders fraud here in the states. These scammers should go to jail!!!!! :x

Just remember nothing is free. Watch out when the offer is too good to be true. and dont ever trust a stranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:57 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

You are VERY lucky that you found out it was a scam and were able to stop the wire transfer! If you take the money (from the wire transfer) and put it back into your bank account and let the bank manager know that you found out this was a scam and were able to get the money back then once the bank gets notification that the checks are counterfeit they will deduct the amount of the check from your account, so you will only be out the amount of the wire transfer.

Spread the word and tell others what happened to you! It could help to save someone else. Also, report this to the place where you had your resume posted and see if they will put out a notification to warn others also.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: I think ive been scammed!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 am 

evenstar83 wrote:
These scammers should go to jail!!!!! :x

Yes, they should. Unfortunately it was you who almost went for them. That still galls me no end that the authorities will prosecute the victim of the scam because they are the easiest to find. :evil:

You were very very lucky that you caught it in time. I would suggest that after returning the money to the bank that you also save copies of all your contacts with the scammers just in case the police are contacted. I don't know what policy your bank may have on that score but it's best to be safe. Save and document everything. Also if the police are contacted you would be wise to consult a lawyer. Give all your info to the lawyer and let them deal with the police.

Another thought. You may want to also try getting the name of the WU employee who took and then canceled your money transfer. I wouldn't say you are likely to get into trouble. Since you returned the money to the bank and are cooperating that goes a long way toward proving you are not an accomplice to the crime but again it's best to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:00 am 
Gold Member

If the bank recovers their money, their is no victim to press charges, the check casher lost 103 bucks, but they have no one to press charges against.

No charges will be filed in this case, do not worry about consulting a lawyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 am 

I replied to the same thing (more or less) except it was an Accounts Receivable Position with a company called Opta Minerals Inc (it was posted on Monster.ca). The email was written basically word for word the same way. I replied (I really needed the money) and just received a cheque today with the same instructions, to wire the money to the same person (Aghaunor Murphy). A quick search led me to your site through this post. I am so glad I caught it, I emailed the guy back after reading through this site and basically told him to piss off or I would be reporting him to the police. So far he hasn't replied :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:33 am 

This is the email that he sent me after I applied for his 'job'

Dear Applicant,

We got your resume for the job of Accounts Receivable Position as posted on
Worlopolis. Our HR Managers have gone through your resume and due to some
certain factors you have been picked as one of our candidate to be our Account
Receivable Manager.

Opta Minerals processes, sells and distributes abrasives and other
industrial minerals to the foundry, steel and marine/bridge cleaning industries,
sources specialty sands and garnets for the water filtration industry, and
recycles inorganic materials under special permits from government authorities at
both its Waterdown, Ontario and Norfolk, Virginia sites

Your primary task as our accounts receivable pending the time we establish
our branch office in your City is to coordinate payments from customers and
help us with the payment process. Once orders are received and sorted we
deliver the product to a customer. After this has been done the customer has to pay
for the products but in most cases we make our clients prepay for orders or
items they order for . About 90 percent of our customers prefer to pay
through Certified Checks or Money Orders drawn from the United State based on the
amount involved. We have decided to open this new contract -to-hire job
position for solving this problem. Our company use this process to test our
accounts receivable rep before you start working in our office as our Full time
accounts receivable rep.

Summary of your First Primary task(Collection of Payments):

1. Receive payment from our Customers or Clients.
2. Cash Payment at your Bank or any cashing facilities near you.
3. Deduct 10 % which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed
4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to our consultant, you
will be contacted to send payment to, You'll have a lot of free time doing
another job, because this job is part time, you'll get good income. We are
considering your application because you satisfy our requirements and we are sure
you will be an earnest assistant till we start running our branch office in
your state.

Get back to us with information below information for reconfirmation, so
that we can add your mailing address to our Regional database and forward it to
our customers for them to send payments.

First name...................
Middle name..................
Last name....................
Address Line 1...............
Address Line 2...............
City.........................
State........................
Zip/Postal code..........................
Home phone...................
Cell phone...................

We will be updating you as soon as the payment is being sent to your home
address and you will be directed as to where to have the remaining 90% of the
money sent to, you will be wiring the money through instant transfers(
Western Union/Money Gram), note that your 10% does not cover the cost of wiring the
funds, you will have to deduct the wiring fees from the remaining 90%.I will
let you know when you will get the first payment sent to you,kindly let me
know as soon as you get them so I can tell you what to do with the funds after
processing them.

Your response to this email is important , so that we can be sure you want
to work for us and reconfirm your mailing address details we have in our
database.

Thanks For Your Total Understanding.

Benjamin Brown
Opta Minerals Inc.
Tel: (775) 406 2115
Fax: (775) 403 3991

It made me a little cautious when he could have gotten all that information from the resume that I attached to his 'job ad'. I should have listened to my girlfriend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:26 am 

Not sure if you saw my post under "Work from home scams" but I copied/pasted it below... Yes, I too, was one of the latest (almost) victims of this ruthless scam that went down in the exact same way. I did, however, realize it before I cashed the money orders (thank goodness!) Anyway, thanks to the co-founder of ScamVictimsUnited.com (shout out to Shawn! :)....the local media really took an interest into my story. So here's the link to 1 of those 2 stories I did here in Portland: (it just aired last night, Wed, 2/6)

http://www.kgw.com/video/specialreports ... vid=215688

Also, here's my original post from a couple weeks ago:

See below for the FAKE "employment offer letter" I received just a week ago...

January 17,2008
GU Xiuying
Suzhou WestStation Weaving Factory

Dear Angela,

Further to your application and resume reviewed, I am pleased to offer you the job with effect from January 17,2008. This appointment is for six (6) months probation in the first instance. However, your appointment may be confirmed on or before the expiration of the probation period if your performance is satisfactory. Your total is $24,000 (Twenty Four Thousand Dollars) per annum subject to appropriate taxes NSITF contributions.

While you are on probation, your appointment may be terminated by either the company or you by giving two weeks notice or payment in lieu of such notice. The company however reserves the right to terminate your appointment summarily if your continuous stay is judge to be detrimental to operational activities.

On satisfactory completion of your probation, your appointment shall be confirmed in writing. Thereafter either the company or you may terminate your appointment by giving one month notice or payment in lieu of such notice. On conformation, you will be entitled to other benefits as applicable to permanent staff of your status in our establishment.
On exit from our services you are expected to undergo an exit clearance. You are expected to abide by the instructions given to you as our representative. Other conditions of service as contained in the employee's handbook will form and be construed as part of this contract of employment.

Please note that the company reserves the right to transfer you to other departments or assign other duties as deemed necessary. You will be reporting directly to me and you must obtain your job discription from me in good time, as this would facilitate your appraisal during probation.
You will carry out an assignment soon. A payment will be issued to you and you will process the payment as you will have it cash at your bank, deduct your weekly payment and transfer the remainder to a company manager in Ghana or kenya through Western Union Money Transfer.
Finally, we look forward to a mutually benefiting relationship with you.

Accept my congratulations!

Yours faithfully,
GU Xiuying
Suzhou WestStation Weaving Factory

So... here it is now, one week later and today, I receive $1950 in USPS (United States Postal Service) money orders that I am to deduct $400 for my weekly pay and send Western Union the balance to a "company" in Kenya. However, I HAVE NOT cashed them, let alone wired any money anywhere, as I've been suspicious from jump... After taking the money orders to my bank this afternoon and asking the favor of photocopying them (so that I have paper trail of everything), the bank manager happens to oversee the transaction and leans in and says "you do know the person who sent these to you don't you?"... so then I was like "uhhh, YA, why?"... he proceeds to tell me about these EBAY scams that have been taking place, both with WalMart money orders and USPS money orders where the buyer "accidently" sends too much money, then requests it be sent back via wire transfer.... so he just wanted to make sure that I did in fact know the payee and that everything was on the up & up. At that point, I didn't really know what to say, other than "well, ya, I've been doing some work for this company but that this was the first time he's paid me in money order form, rather than a check" ...and I proceed to tell him I will go ahead and take them to the post office to make sure they're valid. Good idea. Then again, this wonderful exciting day was just about to come to an end and I was gettin pissed! So, I went ahead and drove to the closest PO and took in only ONE of the 3 money orders (@ $650 ea.) to verify it's legitimacy. And guess what?... SURE ENOUGH, they're freakin FAKE!! Needlesstosay, he said he couldn't give it back to me but that it had to be confiscated and given to the Postal Inspector. And it was crazy because when he held it up next to a real money order, they look sooooo close.. no wonder the banks cash them! The fakes even have the Benjamin Franklin watermark and the security thread, just not exact to the color.

Anyway, I am now so extremely pissed off because when I received them this morning I was SO happy because I've been unemployed now for 6 months and looking for work like crazy! And it's so hard because I'm a single mom with 2 kids and no child support, so this income would have really helped me out... so this A-HOLE really played with my emotions. Seriously, when my daughter got home from school this afternoon, she was SO excited when I told her that we finally got to go grocery shopping!! I know, PATHETIC huh!!??

If you have any suggestions of what I should do next, let me know. I still have the remaining 2 money orders and I don't know what to do first, call the news/media, the police... or curse out this jerk in an email! HELP!!!! - - - which I DID end up doing!! (oops)

Post subject: Turn them in!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm 

If you go back and check the Postal Service website, you'll see that it's a crime to possess counterfeits, even if you don't use them.

Post subject: Re: Turn them in!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 am 
Gold Member

bystander wrote:
If you go back and check the Postal Service website, you'll see that it's a crime to possess counterfeits, even if you don't use them.

You will not find an AUSA anywhere in the United States that will prosecute someone who receives these in the mail and is actively seeking to verify them.

Once you know they are counterfeit and you try to cash them for self enrichment, then you are prosecutable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:36 pm 

:( :( :(

hey!
a few weeks ago a lady named carla webb emailed me and sent me a job form listed below...
i applied back beacuse i have a 11th month old son and i sit at hime with him and nothing sounded better to sit at home with him and also work frm home so replied... well she never wrote back so i brushed it off well a few days later she said a check should be in the mail in the next few days.. i mailed back and said what check, ehat is this business, what are the duties and so on. she never replied well i got a check for 2950,40 well i didnt know what to do so i deposited the check thinking they wouldnt let me cash that much money and have it on hand and i would send it back via western union.. well i told her this and she said that was fine and i told her after i sent it i no longer wanted to do this anymore,, she never answered well the check cleared and is showed some one took it out and hten this mornig some one took it out again even the money i had in my checking acct. so i have negaitve 2970,60 and im devastated i emailed her and told her this was so joke and i was livid for her to fix this out because they took it out twice and now im negative... she replied back and said i dont think this is funny if you do not have my money to me in 24 hrs. i will take legal actions to you and your bank!!!!
i dont know what to do and im devasted... how can she hava access to my acct. and then try to sue me!!! i dont know where to star or what to do!!!
someone please hepl me!!!

Brittany

here is the email below

Hello,
Thanks for signifying your interest,we would like you to know that we are glad to be having you on board,but first you would have to fill our employment form and return to me. I am giving you a copy in this email that you would fill and return back to me.

So please when replying ,kindly tell me some things about you that would make this more personal,as you know we must know a few things about you like if your married,your gender and if your presently employed (although been employed would NOT reduce your chances of working with us) So get back with the filled form and let start doing business....

Note: We will never ask you for anything more than that which we have stated above. passwords, SSN# etc. If anyone ask for those on our behalf please do not give out this info.This is to ensure your security and non involvement in cases of Identity theft.

I will be hoping to hear from You soon,since its a job that can enable you to work from home.You'll also stand the chances of being a part of our future and the excellence of a CHARITY FOUNDATION in which you will be highly appreciated.We are in search for an Online Accounts Clerk.

Salary is $30 an hour for 5 hours a day, 5days a week.
No Selling or Marketing or commission.
No registration or sign-up fee..Hope to hear from you soon.

We have been receiving orders from United States and Canada,Which we have not been able to process competently and completely since we do not have a payment receiving personnel in these Areas.We have decided to recruit payment officers online hence we will be needing a representative/Bookkeeper to process our payments in these areas - due to delays in processing payments from these areas in London, United Kingdom and other part of Europe Counties.

Requirements:

*A high school diploma, preferably with courses in Accounting or related courses,Mathematics and Computer applications,with one year work experience.
* Should be self-motivated, committed and possess good communication
Skills.

*Computer literate in Microsoft Office.
*Experienced in working with money.
*Extensive experience in dealing with the public.

We have payments pending and would like you to start with us as soon as possible. Here is a copy of the form...

EMPLOYMENT FORM
Reference No:- LSLCA/2031/ 8161/05 Batch No:- R4/A313/2-60
First Name:................ Middle Name:................ Last Name:....................
Address Line 1.............................................
Address Line 2...................................
City..........................................
State.....................
Zip................
Home Phone.......................
Cell Phone.........................
Gender.............
Marital Status........................
Age.................
Nation of Origin.............................
Current job.................................

ATTESTATION
According to how you have been briefed earlier. You are required to receive payment on behalf of the above mentioned firm. You are to deduct 10% of all funds processed on a particular order & forward the balance payment via western union to any of the companies regional outlets that will be given to you later. You will notify the company a week ahead if eventually you want to discontinue this job. So as to terminate all payment coming your way to avoid conflict.

Date...................
So i would be expecting to hear from you soon,have a lovely day.

Regards
Tracy Walter
Administrative Secretary.
service@parttimeoffice.org

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:15 pm 

i actually experience before, thanks for some tips here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:01 am 

Here is the letter I recieved today, I had a funny feeling about this right away because of the quick response and the letter is put together with cheese (lol). I googled suzhou weststation and "Ta-Da" what do you know... SCAM !!!

Suzhou WestStation Weaving Factory.An experienced pro manufacturer and supplier of all styles of tatting, knitting and handwork scarfs. Products including: plain, grid, jacquard and printing etc is in need of a highly organized person to help with the behind-the-scenes work
of running a small but high-profile. Upon the fast development, we are well reputable by our outstanding skill, quality service. With the fast growing of my business supplies,higher demand of my services in U.S and China. I travel frequently on business trips to China and my occasional absent from the U.S sometimes affects my business relationship with the U.S clients.Hence, I decided to hire a home based Personal Assistant who will serves as an intermediary for me and my U.S clients while I am in China on business trip. I need to let you know that I am only interested to hire a honest person for this position because as my Personal Assistant (you) will be communicating with my U.S clients, keeping records of my income/expenses finances and
vital information. And another reason why I needed a Personal Assistant is to find someone who can work cooperatively with me in order to assist me, relief me from my busy schedule and other business activities. This Job is basically working from home,part time, on going and I would be meeting with you once in a month when I return back from business travel from China. PERSONAL ASSISTANT/REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES ARE: * Notifying clients about their payment due to be paid * Receiving of the payment and Making payment to clients * Entry of all transaction, and keeping records of data Your weekly income will be $400 and your paychecks will get to you weekly. I would like to meet with you in Person when I return back home from China to discuss this further. If you are interested, you are advised to write a formal application for the position by indicating your interest in order to receive further instruction
and appointment letter.The job would be part time, roughly 16
hours a week, flexible scheduling. If interested and meet the requirements, and I will also need you to send me the required information below for records and contact purposes. *
FULL NAME *
CONTACT ADDRESS AND ZIP CODE
PHONE NUMBERS
* AGE *
GENDER *
OCCUPATION
Regards,
DAVE KEAN
Suzhou WestStation.

OH YEH DAVE RIGHT AWAY