ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:36 am 

Hi,
Please beware of Craiglist scams. I listed my house on Roomates.com, Roomster and Craigs List.
Here is the first and some of the last emails I received.

Hi,

Goodday to you,Hope you are doing fine?? I understand that you posted an ad
on craigslist.com that you have a room available for rent and i am
interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to
know more about the neighbourhood ,the place and utilities included...??As
i'll love to have a place as soon as possible ...

About me,I am a pediatric nurse and a single lady of 27,i don't have a
pet.....I'll let you know more about me if i can know the availability of
the room.i live with my uncle in Australia presently and will relocate to
the united states soon.

I have seen rooms that are okay but the owners are not easy to get along
with,so i will want to know more about you too,i will prefer a long term
lease...i plan to arrive by mid of april,All that i'll want to know is the
availability and total move in cost before moving in.

Please contact me at my personal email address which is
clare13_waterman@hotmail.com and i will be willing to let you know more
about me.

Kind Regards,
Clare.

am sorry for the late reply,i had to fly out of town with my sick mum,she's been down with pnuemonia..i had to reschedule my flight and will be arriving by Friday.please help me pray for her too.

I will need you to help me send the funds to my shipper today because he has given me an ultimatum till tomorrow to send the money since he is supposed to have recieved his money since last week friday.the papers from the western union should be kept in your personal savings account till i arrive.

I would really appreciate it if you can help me get the payment sent over today.i must let you know that i am trying to make it up to the shipper as he had tried for me,and you have sounded like a good roommate that shows concern,i must confess.

You have to get a western union location around you with the money and the information below as i have told you that the shipper is on vacation but giving me the grace to send the money to him

The information of the shipper is...

Name : Mark Riedel
Add: 450 miller road ,
Barrington,ill
USA.
Telephone:323-6385-383

Please help me get to the western union now with the money and please email me as soon as you get the money sent so that i can forward the information to him via e-mail ..

The information that you need to email me with are below..

1...Name of sender
2..Total Amount sent (after western union charges is deducted)
3..Test Question and answer(if needed)
4.Mtcn{ten digits reference number that will be given to You by western union}

I will be waiting for the information ASAP.i will have my flight shedule scanned and sent via e-mail soon.

Thanks.
Clare.

Post subject: read this
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 am 

I forgot to mention that I caught on after a two month "relationship" on line with my fictional roomie.
I did not cash the check THANK GOD!!!
cynergy

Post subject: now they are using g mail
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:34 am 

received this today, same exact verbage except now it is a male...

Hi,

Good day to You,Hope you are doing fine?? I understand that you
posted an ad on craigslist.com that You have a room available for
rent
and i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will
also want to know more about the neighboourhood ,the place and
utilities
included...??As i'll love to have a place as soon as possible ...

About me,I am a pediatric nurse and a single man 0f 27,i don't
have pet.....I'll let You know more about me if i can know the
availability of the room.

I have seen rooms that are okay but the owner are not easy to
get along with,so i will want to know more about you too, i will prefer
a long term lease...And i planned to arrive by end of this month,All
that i'll want to know is the availability and total move in cost
before
moving in.

Please

contact me at my personal email address which is and i will be
willing to let You know more
about me.

Kind Regards

Post subject: Urgently need your advice and help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:42 am 

Hello,

First thank you everybody for sharing your experience on this website.
I am currently being scammed and will go to the police and file a report.
I posted my house for rent on craig's list and got the response (see below). She refuses to give me her details and says she has no phone.
I requested a passport scan and told her I require her to contact me.

I have not received money yet, but I did supply her my passport scan + bank account number+address. I was stupid enough to take it this far.
What else can I do then go to the police? What damage can they do to me? Can the police track him/her down?

Please send me your advice! I really hope they can crack down on this bastard.

Thanks,
Marie

------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT PAYMENT :
Sorry about my late response,is the room still available cos i have already informed my boss about this and he promised to make sure that I will meet up with the payment arrangement so that I can depart from here as scheduled, he also said I will have the advantage to make payment for deposit,I should arrive to there on or before June 15th so pls keep room for me till my arrival, I will be staying for a minimum of 3-4 months. my mode of payment will be in Bank Certified cashier check as it pleases you , so pls let me know if this mode of payment is ok by you, and if YES pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.(1)Your full name as it will appear on cashier check ,(2)your work or home address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier service,(3)your phone number to keep contact close and avoid package missing in transit{4} Total amount cost for staying. Kindly get back to me as soon as possible with this requested address contact information so that we can proceed as soon as possible.i await your reply. will be looking forward to your mail soon.

N.B I dont have a personal mobile phone but will try to call you from a payphone later today, please kindly take off the room advert from the internet so i can be sure your renting the room to me cos am extremely interested in renting from you.
Regards,
Faith .

-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the response,i appreciate it, i will want you to provide me the exactly amount cost for the 3 month staying there with the utilities as well as the picture of the house as i'll not be able to check out the place until my arrival, so that i can make arrangement for payment prior to my arrival since i'll be moving down from Kentuckey USA.as soon as i'm able to reach an accord with you. I'll also like to know abit about yourself.
So get back to me with some details about yourself and your name and address to send the payment so we can proceed,below are some informations about me.

Name: Faith Walcott
Hair:Brunette
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 6" (167cm)
Weight: 122 pounds (55.0 kg)
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Activity Level: Active of
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: Single
Children: I have no kids
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Languages I speak: English
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: Not Religious

My favorites are;
My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum,Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French,Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican,Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese
My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking.
Waiting to hear from you.
Best Regards.
Faith

-------------------------------------------
faith walcott <faith4sure10@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello Marieleng,
Top of the day to you and your family.i'm very sorry for the late response back to your message since all this while,it's quitely busy alot,so i'm taken this opportunity to let you know that i'm still interested in the room and i would so much glad if i could finally get the room behalf of you,so you can always get back to me here,cus there is some little problem attached to my previous email account.
Thanks and i will wait to hear from you.

faith

Post subject: Got scammed. Anybody got a virus lying around?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am 

I almost got scammed out of allot of money. I would love to send these M*f*kers a virus. Anybody got one lying around?!

Any sweet revenge stories you'd like to share?!

Feeling a bit revengeful at this moment...grrr..

Marie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:17 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Back when we got hit with the counterfeit cashier's check scam it was because of a car that we were selling online . . . we contacted a lot of the major car selling websites and asked them to post warnings and it actually did help to save a lot of people from becoming victims. Maybe we need a letter writing campaign to sites like craiglist and roommates.com asking them to add similar warnings?

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:22 pm 

Craigs List already has a warning big as day on their site and also puts a warning in the emails that get sent out from anyone using the site. I still say if they would just teach kids while they are in school about these scams, they would be less likely to become a victim once they become adults.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

It has been so long since I have been to craiglist I was not sure if they have warnings posted, but you did give me another idea . . . what if we contact schools and ask that they teach kids about these scams in economics classes? We could put together a powerpoint style presentation and ask them to just show it. I wonder if I should start with just contacting local schools, or go straight to the Department of Education?

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 am 

That's exactly what we want to do here. The schools can reach the most people and fortunately it can reach them "before" they become victims. If we can teach children about these kind of scams, we can help keep a lot of them from falling prey. One thing I've noticed over the years is that a lot of these victims are fresh out of school and don't have a clue about these scams. I would love to start a nation wide initiative to make it mandatory that children in high school be given a course about scams. That would make a hugh impact and I believe it would drastically reduce the amount of victims falling for them.

Will be thinking about you today! You're gonna do great!!! :D

Last edited by ximora on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Well, since I was in Washington DC at the conference for the National Center for Victims of Crime I stopped in at the Department of Education to try and talk to someone . . . got a phone number to call.

Then, at the conference I was talking to some ladies from the University of Maryland who were also there to speak, and they suggested we contact colleges and get info into the new student and new resident information . . . kind of like they do with date rape info. Maybe we could even get posters in the dorm common areas. I think I am going to contact the University of Minnesota and see if they will do it, and then we can use them as an example when we present the idea to other colleges. (oh, and I know some people at the University of Wisconsin - Stout since I went there, so I might be able to get it in there for starters too.)

I am also going to contact my son's high school economics teacher and see if they would do something on it too.

(oh, and the presentation went really well!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:34 pm 

me too by faith....started a new post cause untill now i couldnt respond to the post i found online which was this one.... mine was a scrapbooking lot on c.l first scam

Post subject: Roommate scam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:07 pm 

I had similar messages from my "roomie" except her name was Amanda Thomason and email address is amanda13_thomason@hotmail.com.
All the other wording in her emails were the same as yours. Scary. I received the money orders but don't plan on cashing them. I told her I couldn't send her the western union wire for shipping fees. I was uncomfortable and immeidiately checked online and found out info about this. The shipper was the same one you listed too.

Post subject: Re: Roommate scam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:59 pm 

arashy wrote:
I had similar messages from my "roomie" except her name was Amanda Thomason and email address is amanda13_thomason@hotmail.com.
All the other wording in her emails were the same as yours. Scary. I received the money orders but don't plan on cashing them. I told her I couldn't send her the western union wire for shipping fees. I was uncomfortable and immeidiately checked online and found out info about this. The shipper was the same one you listed too.

Got a new one today, yes, I lost my roomie and went back to craigslist, I'm sure they are not all like this one:
Read Below AND BEWARE!!!
Hi
I am nice and fun -to -be- with young Woman. I am interested in renting your apartment in your city. I will like to know if the room is still available for rental... So I will like to know the followings:How many month is your Rent? Do you have some pictures of the room? What is the Cost of the Rentage?. What are the utilities that comes along with the rent?. What is the Method of Payment for the Rent?. am sorry if i asked questions that has already been highlighted in your ADS this is due to the fact that i responded to more than one ads at the moment so my email is generic to everyone,but pls do get back to me with the details .I will like to assure that you have nothing to worry about as regards paying rent,everything will be taken care of in due to time as we progress in our negotiations Please my arrival time is around the corner and I will be glad if you can getback to me with the requested information.pls dont forget to let me know the move in date I will be looking forward to hearing from you real soon.
Thanks and God bless,
Dorah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: just to yank "yank" her chain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:53 am 

Had a bit of time so i thought I would reply. Thought it would be fun but actually I still feel a bit BURNED and so I will end it here. This is my last e mail and her response. The english is better, but not by much.

Hi,
I will need a deposit of 1/2 right away. The rent is 650.00 per month all bills paid. Pls. let me know.
cindy

Hi Cindy,
I will be more delighted to pay 2 months for now
meanwhile,I will be paying for the rest at begining of
each month and I will make an arrangement for you to
get paid. Please, give me the total balance of the
first payment for me to move in and let me have your
full name and address so that I can get the check sent
to you as soon as possible.
Warmest Regards,
Dorah.

Dorah Johnson <dj_modeling01@yahoo.com>

Post subject: yet another scammer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 pm 

yes, well, it has happened again!
SEE BELOW:
Hello,
I just want to know if the room is still on for rent and if it is, please get back to me with the amount for the deposit and the utilities available so that i will know whai i have to buy...
Well am mark sara...23yrsofage ,benicia,california, U.S.A,i will like you to secure the room before my arrival and i will be checking in 2week time... the deposit fees will be made out to you soonest to avoid any delay.Here is little about me,i am a student of wittington college in uk.am very humble and easy going lady.. i do modelling and humanitarian work for a living, i love my work becos it make me travelled alot...i was born in benicia,ca., 94510 but presently i will moving to state finally from UK for my masters, so all the payment arrangement is being take care of by my boss in the state, i love swimming,and going to cinema house and staying in door with my love ones..i love to make people laugh, i bet it you will enjoy having me as your roommate, am not married, no kids.i love to enjoy the best of life.i love pets. i will love to tell you that she will issue a reputable check or money order to you because that is her mean of payment. i will like to have the full name ,address,city,state, zipcode, home phone,cell phone.so thatthe payment can be issue out to you as soon as possible for the deposit, because she is a busy woman,she will be speaking on behalf of me and i want to pay for six month for now and if i really enjoy the
place i will now pay for another year .but i will tell her to call you anytime but in the meantime you can get back to me with the information to send the payment to, in other avoid any delay with your contact details for the payment...i will love to read more of you and also if you have a pics of yourself and the room you can send it to me.i will
be looking forward to read from you.till i read from you have a lovely and blissful day.
Regards,
sara

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next