ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:


Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am



All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I absolutely agree....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:30 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:58 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Canada
I agree with you on this. We do feel stupid, hurt, betrayed and i could name many more as it is and dont need anyone to make it more hard on the victims. Being a victim myself, I want to feel like ppl understand what I am going through and to be bashed in that sense is unacceptable.

Have a great night!
~Sea~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: A common thread..........
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 am 
Will all you people please stop wallowing in you pools of self-pity !!!!

Almost to a person you have all shown incredibly poor judgement ( to call it stupidity wouldn't be far off).

Many here blame the banks and try to put the onus on others.

Get over it!!
If you expected something for nothing, you got what you deserved.

Your greed put you where you are now.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: A common thread..........
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
Are_You_Stupid_or_What wrote:
If you expected something for nothing, you got what you deserved. Your greed put you where you are now.


At first I thought of deleting your negative, non-productive post, but then I thought that maybe we could use this as a learning tool.

Have you read the story of what happened to me? If not I would recommend that you go here http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/our_story.htm

Once you have done that I would like you to point out to me exactly when it was that I was expecting something for nothing or was being greedy. To make it easier for you, you can even cut and paste the text right from my story into this message thread to show me when it was that I did that.

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re your "Story"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 pm 
Let's see you actually believed that someone would pay 4 times the cars purchase value to ship it to Nigera ??

That qualifies as stupid. Please accept this fact.

Now as to it being in anyway the banks fault, simply the answer here is no. You deposited the check ( probably endorsed it also) meaning you are responsible for it. It is your resposibility to ensure the item not fraudulent.

As for what happened to you...well you were either stupid or greedy to wire the money...you choose.

You admit it sounded "fishy", as an adult take responisbility for for own foolishness and for God's sake GET OVER IT.

The only people with any real blame here is you. Your actions caused all the trouble. Had you done nothing, you would not have been scammed.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re your "Story"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
can_not_handle_the_truth wrote:
Let's see you actually believed that someone would pay 4 times the cars purchase value to ship it to Nigera ??

That qualifies as stupid. Please accept this fact.


We actually spoke with a legit car dealer who really wanted the car right about the same time, and the quote that he got to try and get the car down to him was around the same as the shipping we were quoted as part of the scam so the numbers added up. The car was a classic, with very few miles on it and the interior was in perfect condition, and this person owned the same car with the exterior in perfect condition but the engine and interior were in bad condition . . . put the two cars together and you have one classic car in mint condition! And when a person wants something or collects something, they will pay prices that others would not to get the item.

Quote:
You deposited the check


Yes I did, but I also asked the bank if they could tell me when the check would be clear and it would not come back and bite me in the butt. The bank did not give me the correct information on this. I guess my mistake was to trust that the people who worked in a bank with these checks all day could actually answer my questions correctly . . . silly me.

Quote:
well you were either stupid or greedy to wire the money...you choose.


If the check was clear and good the whole transaction would have been safe, so to say a scam victim is greedy is stupid. The definition of greedy is as follows . . .

    Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.


I was not wishing to possess more than what I deserved . . . what I deserved was the price of the car, and that was the money that I was keeping possession of. So, I guess that blows your "they are all greedy" statements out of the water.

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re your "Story"
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:06 pm 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
can_not_handle_the_truth wrote:
Let's see you actually believed that someone would pay 4 times the cars purchase value to ship it to Nigera ??

That qualifies as stupid. Please accept this fact.


We actually spoke with a legit car dealer who really wanted the car right about the same time, and the quote that he got to try and get the car down to him was around the same as the shipping we were quoted as part of the scam so the numbers added up. The car was a classic, with very few miles on it and the interior was in perfect condition, and this person owned the same car with the exterior in perfect condition but the engine and interior were in bad condition . . . put the two cars together and you have one classic car in mint condition! And when a person wants something or collects something, they will pay prices that others would not to get the item.

Quote:
You deposited the check


Yes I did, but I also asked the bank if they could tell me when the check would be clear and it would not come back and bite me in the butt. The bank did not give me the correct information on this. I guess my mistake was to trust that the people who worked in a bank with these checks all day could actually answer my questions correctly . . . silly me.

Quote:
well you were either stupid or greedy to wire the money...you choose.


If the check was clear and good the whole transaction would have been safe, so to say a scam victim is greedy is stupid. The definition of greedy is as follows . . .

    Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.


I was not wishing to possess more than what I deserved . . . what I deserved was the price of the car, and that was the money that I was keeping possession of. So, I guess that blows your "they are all greedy" statements out of the water.

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 1:45 am
Posts: 2
read your story, and I see a few... fishy things that you you could have done better:

Quote:
Then, 2 days later, twice the time that I was told that I needed to wait to be sure that this was a good check and that it had cleared, I went back to our bank. So, since we had waited the amount of time that the bank had told us to wait to make sure that the check was clear and good, I took out $7200 that was supposed to be used for the transportation of the car and we wired it via Western Union to Adebisi Julius's Accountant Ben Olawale at Magrove Transport.


Instead of just blindly assuming that it had been cleared, you should have gone to the teller or bank manager and asked them if it was clear, and if they said "yes" then have them put it in writing and sign it so if it should get cancelled you can show that to them and they can't do anything to you. If they said "no" then you know that you should wait a while longer. You could also have just gone with your gut instinct about waiting 10 days.

As for the comment about greed that someone mentioned, you thought that you could sell something for 4x the price (I think), and make a profit from it... I'm not saying that's greed, but if you hadn't accepted that offer then we wouldn't be having this discussion, and what other reason would you have accepted it other than to make some money?

Quote:
Well, on Saturday 10-19-02 I got in the mail a notice from our bank that checks from our account had bounced! And they had just assured me on Thursday evening, around 6pm, that this would not happen!



I can "assure" someone over the phone (or in person) about whatever I want to, but then the only evidence that I did that is word-of-mouth; I can later deny it and it becomes a matter of "your word against mine".

With all that being said.. I really hope it all works out for you and you do get compensation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:32 am 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
Thank you for your comments.

IntelHawk wrote:
Instead of just blindly assuming that it had been cleared, you should have gone to the teller or bank manager and asked them if it was clear, and if they said "yes" then have them put it in writing and sign it so if it should get cancelled you can show that to them and they can't do anything to you.


I did ask again if it was cleared, and they said yes. I agree, looking back I should have asked for that in writing, but at the time I thought if the bank has told me it is clear on several occasions what do I have to worry about. Hindsight is always 20/20

Quote:
you thought that you could sell something for 4x the price (I think), and make a profit from it... I'm not saying that's greed, but if you hadn't accepted that offer then we wouldn't be having this discussion, and what other reason would you have accepted it other than to make some money?


Actually, for the make/model/year/miles/condition that the car was in when we were selling it, our selling price was BELOW the Blue Book price. We were not selling it to "make money" . . . we were selling it because we had no place to store it. (the car had been stored for YEARS on a family member's property, but they were selling the property so we needed to get the car of the property . . . we considered keeping it at our house, but there was no place to store it, so selling it was the only option)

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 1:45 am
Posts: 2
Thank you for clarifying a few things:

admin wrote:
I did ask again if it was cleared, and they said yes. I agree, looking back I should have asked for that in writing, but at the time I thought if the bank has told me it is clear on several occasions what do I have to worry about. Hindsight is always 20/20


Yeah, even as I was writing that I thought about how easy it is to pick at how things have been done and how they should have been done, and it's actually just rude for me to say that. I mean, you don't exactly expect the people that you trust your money with to lie to you.

In fact, I wonder if I wouldn't have done the exact same thing you did if I was in that situation, even now I probably would, so I really shouldn't have said that.

admin wrote:
Actually, for the make/model/year/miles/condition that the car was in when we were selling it, our selling price was BELOW the Blue Book price. We were not selling it to "make money" . . . we were selling it because we had no place to store it. (the car had been stored for YEARS on a family member's property, but they were selling the property so we needed to get the car of the property . . . we considered keeping it at our house, but there was no place to store it, so selling it was the only option)


I'm sorry, I must have overlooked that part in your story. I just saw the thing about 4x its price (and thought 4x the original price (or selling price, or something) so a 4x profit) . . . the idea that you were trying to get rid of it because you couldn't store it was only a faint glimmer in my mind.

I really wonder what I was thinking when I wrote that, because now that I fully see the reasons behind your actions, I probably would have ended up doing the same thing, and our roles in this discussion could just as easily be switched.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
IntelHawk,
Thank you for looking at things open minded and seeing how it can be very easy for someone to fall victim to these scams.

When we became victims there was a lot less media attention to these sort of scams and there was no place for victims to turn to. We tried doing a google searh on our scammer, once we knew we had been scammed, just to see if anything came up, but nothing did. Now a days SO many people find out that their situation is a scam because they do a google search and it leads them to this message board and a thread where someone else has posted the name, email address or phone number of their scammer. It is a good feeling to know that all of us here are sharing information and that is helping to save others from going through what we went through!

Again, thank you for taking a look at things a second time with an open mind. I hope that others will do the same!

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Scammers can be DANGEROUS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:43 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Orange County, NY
Why do I not see a warning here to not attempt to identify scammers on your own?

Some of these CREEPS can be very dangerous if they percieve you are attempting to identify and/or punish them, interfere with a scam, or even if you only "bruise their ego".

_________________
CybersaurusREXX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Western US [GMT-7]
Actually, it's encouraged to learn the warning signs of a scam. By learning this, you reduce the number of potential victims for scammers to scam. Scammers may threaten you, but it's just a scare tactic to try to force you to send them money.

_________________
Love Scams - http://www.internet-love-scams.org & http://www.romancescam.com
General Scams - http://www.fraudwatchers.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:47 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Louisville KY USA
:evil: I have seen posts from 2004 and it just makes me sick that monsters are still scamming people in 2007. I always hit "report as spam" and delete. My brother-in-law just got hit with a "You are a winner of Walmart blah blah blah." He got his check FED EX and today at Walmart cashing that check he was arrested. I am highly pi..ed off and I want as much info I can get to hand over to his lawyer. He's not a criminal. He's not a horrible man. He was scammed and now is going to have a darn record downtown. :evil: Who in the heck would see Walmart and get a check Fed Ex to them and suspect a scam? Those are two legit businesses! I am currently working on trying to find out if Walmart will admit they are aware of the scam(surely my BIL is NOT the only one) and why they are in such a rish to arrest people instead of explaining it's a scam and having people sign a waiver they are now aware that way if that person tries it again they can arrest them then! :evil: I will not shop there ever again (if it's the last store around I'll eat my arm off before I go in there and use leaves as toilet paper before I go back in there) if they aren't going to help my BIL out. :evil:

_________________
If it's too good to be true-RUN!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A common thread..........
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:47 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Louisville KY USA
Are_You_Stupid_or_What wrote:
Will all you people please stop wallowing in you pools of self-pity !!!!

Almost to a person you have all shown incredibly poor judgement ( to call it stupidity wouldn't be far off).

Many here blame the banks and try to put the onus on others.

Get over it!!
If you expected something for nothing, you got what you deserved.

Your greed put you where you are now.



Admins I know I'm new but I have to say something.

AYSOW: Shove it!

_________________
If it's too good to be true-RUN!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A common thread..........
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 2921
Are_You_Stupid_or_What has had their user profile deleted. We DO NOT allow bashing or putting down victims on this site! (to those who are even thinking about doing so, would you tell a rape victim that they got what they were looking for because they wore a short skirt?!?!)

If anyone has any problems with a member off the board, please bring it to the attention of myself or one of the other moderators.

_________________
Shawn Mosch
Co-Founder of http://ScamVictimsUnited.com
There is strength in numbers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch
_______________________________________________
Has this site helped you?
Buy us a coffee to say thanks ~ http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/donations.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Untitled document



Disclaimers, Message Board Guidelines and Privacy Policy   

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group