ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What should or can I do to stop this?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:27 pm 

I answered an ad for a job from a NY paper which turned out to be the payment processing scam. I was trying to be as careful as possible and questioned the person contacting me as much as I thought was needed. The guy kept assuring me everything was legal and even gave me his company's info in the UK. Being that I answered the ad from a paper I thought it was legit. I was told to open up a Bank of America or Wells Fargo account because so they could make transfers to it and because it was easier. It was easy to open up a BoA account. Told the guy it was being setup and I was waiting for info. Next day I get a $2000 personal check FedEx'd to me overnight to my home address. Then I got an e-mail from the guy saying to take the check to a local cashier (to speed things up) and then Western Union $1700 to someone in Nigeria. I had already felt freaked out about the check coming to my home, when I saw that Nigeria thing then I knew it sounded like a scam since I've gotten e-mails with the Nigerian scam. I told the guy I wasn't comfortable with the check and wanted to send it back uncashed. I also told him that no check cashier around here would cash a personal check. He again assured me that everything was legal and told me that they were investing in a company in Nigeria. I checked that link and it looked like a real company but I told the guy that I did not want to do this and asked where I should send back the check to. He responded by saying that it sounded as if I was trying to steal the company's money and that he would make sure I would go to jail and report me to the FBI. He then told me to deposit it in the bank to prevent any hassles. I replied by telling him that I was trying to send it back and hadn't cashed it so I wasn't trying to steal it. Told him I would deposit it in the bank and get back to him when it cleared. Instead I went to the police and reported it to consumer affairs. I've also looked around and will be reporting it to my State Attorney General's office, FBI and more.

I've already been slightly threatened by this person with the jail and report me to the FBI thing, how do I get out of this? It worries me that this check was sent to my house. I am going through a divorce (which is why I fell for the extra money allure of the ad) and I can't deal with more. I see on here to say that the FBI is investigating and that might be enough. How do you that? Don't you have to make up something as to how the FBI got involved without implicating that you went to them yourself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:43 am 

Tell this person that you took the check to your bank and requested that it be verified before you deposited it. Tell them that it is a bad check and that you want no further contact with them. Then if they do email you or call ignore them. They will go away since they are not getting any money from you. I am glad that you did not lose money in this matter. If you have not turned the check over to the police destroy it and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:37 pm 

thanks for the reply. I will try that and hope this goes away.

I too am glad that this didn't result in my losing money. Too many flags went up. My heart goes out to all the people who have posted on this forum and have lost money. I hope they don't lose faith in people, there are still plenty of us good people left.

I wanted to say that this forum is excellent and I wish that more people knew of it. Great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:53 pm 

Well, I told the person and recieved an e-mail back saying I was a liar and that he would report me to the FBI for stealing the company's money. Considering the check was never cashed and I have no intention of doing so then there was nothing stolen to report to the FBI. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:09 am 

Just ignore him. They do not want to give up and will try to intimidate you into keeping in contact with them. And also be aware of the fact that someone else might contact you trying to say they know you were scammed and they can help you. It is hard after being involved in a scam to trust anyone. This forum is a great place that has helped many of us. The way to see that these scams aren't successful is to pass the information along. Tell people that you know what happened to you and of other scams that you read about. It might seem you don't want them to think you foolish that you almost fell for the scam but you may just save another person from it happening to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 am 

Duped,

They will NOT report you to the FBI. They know that what they are doing is criminal, so they won't report you to anyone. They MAY send you an email that says it is from the FBI or some other Law Enforcement Agency. It is NOT. Look at the email address, it will be from a "common" email carrier (like Yahoo).

The FBI would not do the following:
1. Investigate such an issue
2. Use a common email provider
3. Contact you via email on such a matter

You are best to drop/block them from your email.
They have your real live information. Ignore them and they will go away. You may be able to report them to their email provider's abuse@ email address. Sadly, this would delay them only long enough to set up another email address.