ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just received $4860 USD in USPS money orders
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:28 pm 

I put out an ad to sell my car about 2 months ago and immediately I received responses from all over the world from people who wanted to buy it. A potential buyer and I emailed each other for about a week until he agreed to buy the car from me. I have waited 6 weeks for the money orders to get here (very impatiently, i might add :x ).

When they arrived, I immediately went to my bank to try and cash them. Its a good thing that I live in canada and the money orders the guy sent me are only negotiable in the us. I came back home and emailed him to send me international money orders so I can cash them. I also looked online to see if there was anyway that I could cash the money orders here. That is how I found this website.

I should have been skeptical when I looked at the stamp and it is from the "republique du benin" and the money orders are from the states. Also, in another topic it is stated that money orders are not issued in sequential order and if you receive any that are, they are fake. The ones that i recieved are in sequential order.

After reading the stories on this website it is obvious that I was almost the victim of a scammer. He wanted me to western union money to his "shipper" so he could get the car to england. That seems to be a popular scam on this forum.

Just a few questions... Should I be worried that this scammer/scammers have my address?

Also, is it worth it to bring these money orders to the police? I didnt lose any money or property.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:40 pm 
Turn them over to the Postal Inspectors, great that you did not cash them. You received one money order that has been replicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:47 am 

If anyone thinks they have phoney postal money orders, send me an email with the serial numbers and I can tell you if they are real. There is a specific formula on how the last digit is found and I know it. I handle PMOs everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:41 pm 
mdbjr2 wrote:
If anyone thinks they have phoney postal money orders, send me an email with the serial numbers and I can tell you if they are real. There is a specific formula on how the last digit is found and I know it. I handle PMOs everyday.

me too, the easiest way is that any consecutive numbered PMO will be bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:18 pm 

Hi , just got 4 MO of 750$ each.

Envelloppe is from Benin, twice the amount ask for 2 chair... they want me to use the extra for shipping...

the red serial on one is 073 1065 from CIBC bank.
the big number on bottom:
0731060 031100267 6301412148 509

I think they are all fakes, sad we can't track the scammer with them, i'm still in contact with them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:24 am 
not Postal money orders?

Post subject: Re: Just received $4860 USD in USPS money orders
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:47 pm 

I new this was a scam but wanted to play.
I git 5 $750 cheques and he/she is out UPS fee.
Ha Ha. Will string them along some more.
Will keep you posted. This is starting to be fun
The serial numbers were identical as the previous poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 am 
Gold Member

ronbeacom wrote:
I new this was a scam but wanted to play.
I git 5 $750 cheques and he/she is out UPS fee.
Ha Ha. Will string them along some more.
Will keep you posted. This is starting to be fun
The serial numbers were identical as the previous poster

Be careful. What you are doing is called scam baiting. I recommend going to http://www.419eater.com or http://www.thescambaiter.com to get advice on how to do this safely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm 

I gave the CIBC bank the money order and my name and phone number.
I asked him what I should do next

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:53 pm 

The CIBC thanked me and will notify other branchs so people won't get stung by this

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 am 

Here is the email I got. Ha HA

Hello,

How do you do?

The Board of Directors uses this opportunity to thank you for being part of the life saving program.The information provided on the Application form has been forwarded to the personnel department for update on our employment database.

I just got a call from UPS that the First set of payments had been delivered to you.

Here are the details on how you should go about the transfer . Follow the Instructions below so you can have it cashed immediately.

Once you receive the payments, follow this instructions below before taking it to the bank

(1)There are payments which have been issued out in your name by CIBC
(2)Then your name and address should have been written at the top and bottom respectively
(3)Then you'll take them to the bank

By following the above instructions, you would have the funds cashed at your bank and the have the funds available immediately for transfer via western union so we would be able to receive the funds here the same day. Remember you are to deduct (10% plus any other charges which may include transfer fee) then have the rest funds wired down via western union to the addresses I would be giving you below.

You are to transfer the funds from a western union locations to our Regional manager whose name is given below via Western Union Money Transfer Only.

Once all the funds have been received, we would let you know when the next payment would be made out to you.

When you have the money sent, we would require the following information to help us with the pick up.

• The MTCN#
• The Senders Full name and Address with contact phone number used.
• The total amount sent
• The test Question used and answers for the transaction.

The name and address of our regional Manager you would be transferring the funds to is as follows:

ACCOUNTANT

Name : ADAM WILLIAM
city: COTONU

I would expect the MTCN # and the whole transaction details ASAP.

PS : Have the funds transferred via western union Immediately so the funds would be received the same day.

Thanks and God bless for your continuous support.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 am 

The same thing happened to me and I'm not an idiot, I thought!! Last friday I got the money orders, put them in my account, and waited for them to clear. Then I got the money out in cash, and did what they said. Kept a few hundred for me, and used Western Union to send this person "Dr. Ryan David" over $2,000 in another country. Then on Monday, my bank account said I had a negative balance of over $2,000.
I talked to my bank on the phone because I only have a few hundred $ in my acct and was waiting for a check to clear. But the check cleared now, and I have like 22 dollars in the acct because they took the hold off, for now. But they were just being nice since I've never even been overdrawn before. But any day now the $2,500 will be taken out and I( will have a neg $2,478 balance. I have NO WAY to make up this. And don't know what to do??????
They said if the money orders come back fake, then the $2,500 will be deducted from my acct as soon as it's confirmed. It's been exactly a week, and they haven't took the money out yet, but I'm sure it's coming any day now.
I looked at what a real postal money order should look like, and I know NOW that they were fake. I'm in between jobs and have no money. I even start my new job this monday 6/23.
Now I'm scared the police are gonna come arrest me. I had no idea and neither did the bank for 3 or 4 days. They even let the money clear! I thought if money cleared in your acct, then it was real, and mine, that's why you have to wait 4 it to clear? But now that I've done a little research, I see that it's not the case.
I even have the guys phone #, it's an over seas #, and it's still working. I called and bitched him out and the next a.m. at 6 o'clock, he sent me 5 more postal money orders. These had Benjamin Franklins face as the water mark, but only once, and it looks more like Aunt Jemima then ben. franklin!
So I called "Dr. David" or who ever, again, and now no reply via mail or e-mail since he sent out the 5 new, but better fakes.
What do I do? And I know in a matter of a few days,they will take out $2,500 from my acct. that has $22 in it. I can't barely pay my bills, how am I going to make up that much money? I don't even have a savings account. I'm BROKE!!!

I live in Florida. In the Tampa Bay area. If anyone knows what I can do, PLEASE HELP ME!! I had no idea. I even still have the $250 he said I can keep (10%). I didn't spend it even though I needed it. I was about to pay bills with it the day I realized I was duped.
Isn't it partly the bank's responsibility because they let the money clear? They said it's all my fault and will make me liable 4 all the $. Even though they let me take it out in cash, and said it had cleared and was AVAILABLE.
I asked them what to do so there would be NO PROBLEMS when I went to cash them last Friday? And that's what they said to do- wait till it clears, and you can do what ever you want with it. "IT JUST HAS TO CLEAR FIRST!"
I'm scared and frustrated and start a new job on Monday.
Thought I was starting at $22 to my name.
Now I'm so stressed out I can't eat and sleep poorly for 4 days now, thinking the police are going to come arrest me. Any suggestions or advice, or help for me.
I'm a 29 year old female who is trying to start over her life, I've NEVER been in trouble with the law. Seems like I'm always the victim. I'm not stupid, but I sure do feel so now. HELP!!!
Allison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Please read this post

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3003

and contact the people listed there. You can even ask to have your information directed to Bill White, and tell him that Shawn from ScamVictimsUnited.com directed you there. He may be able to assist you in getting in contact with the right people to help you.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:28 am 

Thank you! I wrote them an e-mail of my situation.
Thanks so much for your help. I'm not sure if I should call as well? I'm sure they're flooded with these scams, e-mails and calls, and there's nothing they can do immediately.
I really thought that if the money cleared in your bank account then it was "real". And that's why you have to wait for any form of money put in your account to "clear".
Those scammers reassured me, called me, and everything. And even explained how it was 100% legal. I asked a million questions and they always had the "right" answer. I just did it so quickly without thinking it through. I'm usually such a logical person?!?
I'm in betwen jobs, so I guess they pray on people like me.
I start working again on Monday, but it sure did put a damper on my excitement for the new job. :(
Thanks again for your concern and help! :) Allison

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Read this post for the REAL information on what the banking terms mean

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2745&p=13567&hilit=bank+terms#p13567

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch