ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Counterfeit Company Checks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 am 

The companies whose names, addresses and bank information are being revealed on this site are victims of these scams also. Their identities have been stolen, and you are publishing real bank information for everyone in cyperspace to see. My company's bank info was stolen, and checks meant to look like our real checks except for the misspellings have been sent from Canada with various lottery letters. I have talked with many would-be victims who recognize the scam and take the time to locate our actual telephone number. Unfortunately, I have also spoken to several individuals who deposited the check and then wired money to the scammer before the check bounced. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!! These checks and the accompanying letters are filled with errors, grammatical mistakes, and pigeon English. The "lottery" letterhead has no relationship to the check company and address. The telephone numbers are all in Canada, and you don't win a lottery that you didn't buy a ticket for.

Post subject: Global Processing Group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:21 pm 

I'm new here so bear with me...

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, and I got one of those letters back on October 24th from Global Processing Group in St. Thomas Virgin Islands with a check for $2,962.30 on a D.L.Lee & Sons Wholesale Meats in Alma, GA logo for First National Bank of Alma. My claim agent was Andrea Cohen of GPG, an accredited agent of United Kingdom Random Lotto at 1-902-412-8879 from Prize Director, Larry Johnson. I've left messages with "Andrea" but no reply. I got caught in another scam a few months back and I was out $1200.00. :oops: I shall be tearing up this check. :!:

Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Company Checks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:35 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Legitimate Company wrote:
The companies whose names, addresses and bank information are being revealed on this site are victims of these scams also. Their identities have been stolen, and you are publishing real bank information for everyone in cyperspace to see. My company's bank info was stolen, and checks meant to look like our real checks except for the misspellings have been sent from Canada with various lottery letters. I have talked with many would-be victims who recognize the scam and take the time to locate our actual telephone number. Unfortunately, I have also spoken to several individuals who deposited the check and then wired money to the scammer before the check bounced. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!! These checks and the accompanying letters are filled with errors, grammatical mistakes, and pigeon English. The "lottery" letterhead has no relationship to the check company and address. The telephone numbers are all in Canada, and you don't win a lottery that you didn't buy a ticket for.

I believe that many of us are aware that the names of the banks may be real, but the checks are not . . . it is very similar to the counterfeit cashiers check (which was the reason we started this entire website) where the scammers may use the name of a past victim as the "contact person" name in their scam, and then they use the mailing address of another past victim for the fake return address on the documents that they send you.

I do think that it is important for us to post all of the information, including the bank information, on this site because it is something that a common person would search on the internet to see if things are legit. The scammers can quickly change their email address, the "contact person" name or other searchable information, but until they get their hands on another check to counterfeit the bank information will stay the same.

I agree, the bank who has had their checks counterfeited is also a victim of this scam, (in a different way then the bank customer who is the one who is usually out the money) but all of us need to work together to fight this scam by sharing as much information as we can.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:39 pm 

My first point was that the website has now given our confidential bank information to other criminals who prowl the internet looking for identities to steal. I'm sure that this highly organized criminal activity is using the legitimate names and banks of dozens or hundreds of companies, and you don't need to publish them all to warn people.

My second point was that people also need to use some common sense when they receive questionable checks and lottery notifications by mail from Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:08 pm 
My first point was that the website has now given our confidential bank information to other criminals who prowl the internet looking for identities to steal. I'm sure that this highly organized criminal activity is using the legitimate names and banks of dozens or hundreds of companies, and you don't need to publish them all to warn people.

My second point was that people also need to use some common sense when they receive questionable checks and lottery notifications by mail from Canada.

After your account was compromised you should have closed that account and opened a new one. Pretty basic post counterfeit action I would think by any legitamite company.

Have you ever done something and felt foolish about it later? It happens, we are trying to cut back on on it.

BTW welcome to the site. I guess you found it on Google?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

My first point was that the website has now given our confidential bank information . . .

The info posted on this site is mostly information that anyone could find out by doing a search for banks . . . name, address, phone number . . . if it is listed in the yellow pages it is not really "confidential bank information"

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:39 am 

What yellow pages are you using that lists anyones bank account numbers and bank routing codes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:28 am 
What yellow pages are you using that lists anyones bank account numbers and bank routing codes?

Like i said earlier, after your account has been compromised the first thing your bank should have suggested was changing you account number. There are public sites that provide routing numbers, no big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:34 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

armac wrote:
There are public sites that provide routing numbers, no big deal.

Thank you armac for backing my statement that we are not posting anything that is confidential information or could not be found on other sites. :D

Post subject: This scam is still around!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:25 pm 

My wife is mentally ill (not kidding) and is no good with money or with avoiding scams. She got a letter and check for $2980 last week, cashed the check, and spent all the money. The check "cleared", so she was able to spend the money.

She showed me the letter today. I immediately recognized it as the fraud that it is. I happen to be familiar with this site and was able to search out this thread, which verifies my suspicions. Unfortunately, I will have to shell out $3000 from my retirement account to cover my wife's poor judgement, and plan to go to her bank on Tuesday to discuss the scam, then settle the account owed. :( I am really mad as this scam and the wife's mental illness are robbing me of the money I work so hard for.

Here's the text of the letter, including their spelling and grammatical errors:

(letterhead)Deltec Financial & Trust Services
Deltec House, Lyford Cay, P.O. Box N-3229 Nassau, Bahamas
Sponsor: Readers Digest, Publishers Clearing House, Sweepstakes, Lotto
(letterhead ends)

Name
Address

Your ref :X9999
Date

SUBJECT: AWARD CLAIM FINAL NOTIFICATION

Some people have good things happen to them by luck or by chance. But the reason for your good fortune is clear you have been an exceptional lucky sweepstake winner. That is why we are delighted to inform you through this letter that our network system shows you as the lucky winner of unclaimed prize money in the amount of $62,980 USD (Sixty Two Thousand Nine Hundred Eighty Dollars). The system indicated that you won the prize on December 14th, 2006 sweepstakes third category draw.

All participants were selected through a comperize ballot system drawn from reader's digest, publisher's clearing house, mailing addresses, computer games, and sweepstakes with data base from Australia, new Zealand, Europe, North and South America, South Africa, and Asia as part of our International Promotions Program (IPP), which is conducted annually. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It is also part of our job to bring to your notice, the existence of an international law guiding the fair personal collection of cash prizes. This Internatinal law ensures that a winner pays a processing fee before the funds are released. The same Law prevents you from paying with your personal money but from your winning money; the first installment of $2980 USD should be used for the payment of the processing fee. Be advised that your Reference Number must be kept confidential until your claim is completed. This is to avoid double claiming which might disqualify you.

Your fundsa re now deposited with us and insured in your name. Please find enclosed a cashier's check in the amount of $2,980 USD cashable only by you. You shall be advised by your claims agent on how much to be withdrawn and sent to the processing office to finalize your claims. The balance of $60,000 will be sent to you via a courier company of choice after your payment is confirmed.

Please take advantage of this golden opportunity by contacting your claims agent(s) Mr. Pinson Berdu or Mrs. Victoria Stanton at 1-778-xxx-xxxx; Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-3pm EST, upon receipt of this notification.

Please note that all unclaimed prize money will be donated to a charity organization.

Once again congratulations from all our staff!

Yours truly,
Weston Pratt Snr.
Director Claims & Credit Control
---

I checked the area code and it is in Vancouver, BC. The address in the letterhead is real, and there is a Deltec, but it is actually Deltec Bank and Trust Limited, a legitimate bank in the Bahamas at the address quoted. These alone tipped me off that this was a fraud. The "sponsor list" is hopelessly vague after naming the big sweepstakes companies. "Sweepstakes"? "Lotto"? c'mon.

Thankfully, my wife says she never contacted the people named on the letter. Even so, she'll also need a new bank account just for safety's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:44 pm 

Something else to be aware of are scams that say they will help you recover scammed funds. These criminals can and do share information. If they have a victim on one scam they may circle back for another dip in the pool.

Great service BTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:08 am 

We just recieved a check from the Millenium Processing Center located in the Virgin Islands for $2962.30 claiming that we had won $50,000 in a monthly global draw. The check is from Costco Wholesale and when i called the number for our claim agent, Susan Edwards, the number came up as Nova Scotia. The number that we received is 1-902-412-9734. There is a site for a newspaper that had a story about this and they said to call the FBI to report this. I will be doing this tomorrow. These people need to find something better to do. Spred the word.

Post subject: Millenium Processing Center - St Thomas Virgin Islands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am 

They almost got me. In the letter I received from Millenium Processing Center, 4850 Roman Square, PO Box 380, St Thomas, Virgin Islands, 00642-8720, they enclosed a check for $2,962.30 stating I had won $50,000 in the Global Drawing held in Dublin, Ireland...same crazy stuff - deposit check and send a western union for $2,800 to clear funds. I was to send it to Annie Core, 6811 Main St, Calgary, AB T2K4A1...of course there is no such address.

The fake check was drawn on Bank of America, 800 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104...Check # 38359...shows account in the name of Network Computing Architects, Inc, 855 106th Ave NE, Bellevue, WQA 98004. phn # 519-991-0987...ABA routing# 125000024; acct # 69608. I am sure all is fraud. I am just not sure what to do with this check and letter.

I duped the girl into believing I had already cashed the check. I told her I was moving and had closed my bank account AFTER I cashed the check. She seemed to be concerned over this. I also told her I had a brother who lived in Calgary (who happened to be with the police) and I told her he would just go over to the Main Street address and give her the money in person. Again she said "Oh no, don't get your brother involved." You must do it through the Western Union." I pretened to be dumb and told her I didn't know what difference it would make.

But she was really upset when I told her I had closed my bank account and was leaving town with the $2,962.30 I had just cashed. Joke is on her. Who do report this to

Post subject: Re: Millenium Processing Center - St Thomas Virgin Islands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:19 am 
paulacoome wrote:
They almost got me. In the letter I received from Millenium Processing Center, 4850 Roman Square, PO Box 380, St Thomas, Virgin Islands, 00642-8720, they enclosed a check for $2,962.30 stating I had won $50,000 in the Global Drawing held in Dublin, Ireland...same crazy stuff - deposit check and send a western union for $2,800 to clear funds. I was to send it to Annie Core, 6811 Main St, Calgary, AB T2K4A1...of course there is no such address.

The fake check was drawn on Bank of America, 800 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104...Check # 38359...shows account in the name of Network Computing Architects, Inc, 855 106th Ave NE, Bellevue, WQA 98004. phn # 519-991-0987...ABA routing# 125000024; acct # 69608. I am sure all is fraud. I am just not sure what to do with this check and letter.

I duped the girl into believing I had already cashed the check. I told her I was moving and had closed my bank account AFTER I cashed the check. She seemed to be concerned over this. I also told her I had a brother who lived in Calgary (who happened to be with the police) and I told her he would just go over to the Main Street address and give her the money in person. Again she said "Oh no, don't get your brother involved." You must do it through the Western Union." I pretened to be dumb and told her I didn't know what difference it would make.

But she was really upset when I told her I had closed my bank account and was leaving town with the $2,962.30 I had just cashed. Joke is on her. Who do report this to

Very nice post, all the relevant information.

Might as well throw the check away, shredded .

Post subject: update to the lottoa scam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:44 am 

well heres the latest i got the letter today and it has a letterhead of FC Financial Group saying i have won 53000.00 usd the check was wrote for 1960.00 from a company named key electronics in michigan the bank it was wrote off of is national city bank in illinois and michigan i started searching and found this site luckily before i done anything with the check seems like several have been from illinois banks maybe a connection there too my contact name was a debra collins i have sent an email to fc financial alerting them of this they are a canadian company

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next