ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Share Scam - USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:43 am 

I have been contacted by a company by the name of Elkin & Associates, 55 Broad St, New York, NY, 10004 who rang to tell me that they act on behalf of a client who is looking to acquire the majority shareholding in a company that I bought shares in years ago that are not worth very much now, in relation to a merger and acquisition. They have confirmed how many shares I own (which is correct) and have mentioned that they have acquired this information through the registrars Capita. The company sound very legitimate and very professional and have been in contact every day talking me through the legal process. There is a small matter of an insurance fee I need to pay £3,600 in advance which will be refunded in full once the deal has been completed!! I have to say that I have been fully convinced and have signed declarations that I am prepared to send the monies at the appropriate time upon receipt of all of the necessary paperwork. (More worryingly, I have also sent my address details and copy of my marriage certificate!!) They have advised that everything will be put in writing and will be couriered to me. The thing that has made me suspicious is that I have just rang the number that is on their website, +1(914) 517-2742 and it appears to be a cell phone? Surely if it was a corporate company, the call would have been picked up by a company answerphone as it is the weekend. Also, although the company looks very professional, it doesn't give any details of the people working there or the clients they serve. However, if you Google the company name, it does appear?? That said, when I have accessed the USA version of Yellow Pages, the only company of that name is based in Chicago and it has a different corporate identit! Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this a fully blown scam??!!

Post subject: Re: Share Scam - USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:59 pm 

Quote:
They have confirmed how many shares I own (which is correct)

Since this is a matter of public record, anyone can get this information.

Quote:
There is a small matter of an insurance fee I need to pay £3,600 in advance which will be refunded in full once the deal has been completed!!

Why do you need to pay an insurance fee? Also it does not make sense that the fee would be returned to you.

Quote:
Is this a fully blown scam??!!

I believe it is a scam. If you want to sell your shares then call a local broker. Best of luck to you.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 am 

Thanks for your reply.

I can now confirm that this is a scam. I contacted Capita who are the registrars in the UK and they have confirmed that the company that I supposedly hold shares in was taken over in 2008 and therefore shares in this company are now redundant. Incidentally, they have confirmed that I do not in fact own any shares!! (I did trade these for a while a long time ago but I sold them all). As it was such a long time ago, the guy I spoke to over the phone did manage to make me believe that I did still hold some of them.

I also contacted the real Elkin & Associates that are a Family Law Firm who are based in Chicago and they told me that they had received numerous calls of complaint from people who had had monies deducted from their accounts and when they had contacted their respective banks, they had been directed to them. The firm was very clear to state that there is no connection between the two companies.

I feel lucky that I smelt a rat before they managed to extort any monies from me but it sounds like this fraudulent company has been around for a while and has succeeding in a number of cases. I consider myself to by quite astute in matters such as these and am surprised that I was almost duped!! They are very slick operators and they have very sophisticated methods of operation, so people need to be very aware of what they are dealing with. Never, ever part with monies on the promise of some windfall coming your way!! As the saying goes - if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm 

Quote:
I feel lucky that I smelt a rat before they managed to extort any monies

So am I. Thank you for taking your time to post this and then do an update. If anyone does a Google search on this company or telephone number this site should come up. You may have saved several others from being scammed.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm 

Brilliant bit of reporting guys. I had two phone calls today, but told them my internet was down and I've got engineers coming sometime tomorrow. It bought me a little time. What I have found is that their web address is states the following on 'internic whois':
Domain Name: ELKINLLC.COM
Registrar: NAME.COM LLC
Whois Server: whois.name.com
Referral URL: http://www.name.com
Name Server: NS659.WEBSITEWELCOME.COM
Name Server: NS660.WEBSITEWELCOME.COM
Updated Date: 11-aug-2012
Creation Date: 10-aug-2012
Expiration Date: 10-aug-2013

So this huge company has its website registered August this year and only for 12 months. The site may look slick and professional, but is actually cheap and easy to create.

The following also appears on the site:
REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
KaiserWebs.com
Kaiser Mangampo
Tiggato Buhangin
davao city
Davao del Sur
PH
Phone: +63.9471108035
Email Address: @gmail.com

ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT INFO
KaiserWebs.com
Kaiser Mangampo
Tiggato Buhangin
davao city
Davao del Sur
PH

TECHNICAL CONTACT INFO
KaiserWebs.com
Kaiser Mangampo
General Santos City
davao city
Davao del Sur
PH

BILLING CONTACT INFO
KaiserWebs.com
Kaiser Mangampo
General Santos City
davao city
Davao del Sur
PH

This shows that the 'organisation' is actually in the Philippines and not in the US at all.

I've been asked for personal info and sent a form. I'll have them call me a few more times before I give them the good (or bad) news.

I won't be selling my paltry amount of shares for a small fortune or spend any money on insurance. Wallet well and truly locked.

Good luck all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 am 

That is a good piece of detective work.
I finally got to the stage of the matter of paying insurance to so called protect my interests. However, if they really are so keen to get your shares, does it not follow that they would stand the cost and pay for it? I asked about this and was told that both parties had to pay. Really? I don't think so. Bye Bye and don't call again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am 

According to ELKIN & ASSOCCIATES their client will pay me £35000 plus for my shares that are worth £1500 on the stock exchange Not a bad deal a !!! only one problem I have to pay £3500 bond up front

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 am 

Quote:
According to ELKIN & ASSOCCIATES their client will pay me £35000 plus for my shares that are worth £1500 on the stock exchange Not a bad deal a !!! only one problem I have to pay £3500 bond up front

£3,500 which you will never see again. Like I said, "Bye Bye and don't call again" :)