ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craigslist scam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hi I just wanted to let anyone be aware of the following person that replies to an ad you have on craigslist, I fortunately did not become a victim of his scam because after receiving a check from this person too much did not seem to add up about the arrangement. I posted an add on craigslist stating that I am in the business of repairing computers and listed my prices and services. I received an email from a Jeremy Macleans asking if I am capable of repairing computers in bulk and I replied back yes I am and asked for details on what needed to be done and how many computers. This post will be long so bare with me I am trying to keep it to a bare minimum. Below is the email he replied back with:

Hello,
Thanks for the response. I have 10 HP 6910P laptops, they have been in storage for a while and are now being re-conditioned for use. Below are the things needed to be done one on each laptops.
1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Windows Vista Business, Service Pack2
3 Microsoft Office 2007 Package
4 AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
5 Adobe Acrobat
6 Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
7 Diagnostics of the entire system after to check harddisk, cd-rom, floppy, etc.
Get back to me with your total cost for the servicing of these laptops. I await your urgent response so that i can make moving arrangements and payment as soon as possible. I have all the necessary software needed for the service installations.
Thanks
System Config: Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz, OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business. 250GB SATA HDD @ 5400RPM. 14.1" WXGA Widescreen (1280 x 800), 4.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB). Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti drive (DVD+/-RW) w/Double Layer Support.

So this seemed like a legitimate offer to me so I gave him my address and he stated he would send a check to me which seemed puzzling because I would think you would send the laptops first and then send the check upon completion, so I said maybe he just wants to make sure I get the check and then he will send the laptops and then I can cash it. I told him I would charge him 1000 total to which he replied that seemed like a fair price and he has contracted a shipper to have the laptops shipped to me and that he would arrange to have his secretary draw up a check for me. So the check arrived by FedEx the other day, I am very suspicious at this point because the origination of where the check was shipped from was in Tennesse and the name on the check was not the person who I have been corresponding with and the person whose name is on the check is located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. And also the amount of the check was written in the amount of 1850 which is more than the 1000 we agreed on.

So Jeremy emails me and says that he saw I signed for the check from FedEx and below is the email I got from Jeremy:

I just tracked the check, and it shows that it has been delivered to you today. I already got in touch with the movers today, and I need to pay them upfront for them to ship the laptops to your place, pick-up some other equipments for the office, and pick-up the laptops when you're done, and that's the reason for the extra cash on the check. So I need you to cash the check, deduct your repair fees,and go to a Western Union or MoneyGram location to send the balance to the movers. Once they have it, the laptops will be delivered to your place.
Send the balance to the information below:

Roy Webster
Amarillo, TX, 79110

Deduct the sending fee from the balance and send the remaining to the information above. Get back to me as soon as possible with the Money Tracking Control Number (MTCN), and payment details (sender's/receiver's information) , as you have it on the receipt (I'll appreciate it if you can scan the receipt to me).
Let me know.
Thanks.

So as you can see by now I can see what is going on here, this person is trying to completely scam me, I am already before this email suspicious of the whole deal. While we have corresponded this whole time he has failed to answer little questions that I have such as where he is located, and when the laptops will be shipped. All he has seemed to be concerned with is when I am picking up the check from the FedEx office because it was delivered twice and I wasn't at my apartment complex to sign for it and he also seems concerned about when I will cash it. I did a internet search about scams like this and found this site and have read the many stories people have written about being scammed and its unfortunate and I did not want to become another victim. So I emailed Jeremy after finding this site along with others and told him I will not be cashing the check and I asked him why I was sent the extra money and if this was legitimate why not just send the money to his shipper himself. I also asked why the check belongs to someone who lives in Pennsylvania. I told him not to contact me anymore because I believe this is a scam attempt. I have not yet heard back from him, but I will be contacting PNC Bank because they are listed on the check and I will also try to track down who the check belongs to and inform them of what is going on. I don't know if this means anything but he has been using a gmail address to correspond with me and I checked the header and it says GMT time which is for Greenwhich, London. Here is his email address for anyone who may have come across this person or for future reference for anyone that may receive anything from him: jeremybusted12@gmail.com.

I hope this helps anyone.

Post subject: Re: Craigslist scam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 am 

FYI. I just received the same email from the same person with the same contents and operation method. Since reading this post I have declined to provide services. I provided my phone number in a previous email and he still requested my phone number in the follow up email. This has got to be a check cashing scam. You cash the check, send the difference, and now you are on the hook for the whoel amount.
BEWARE OF THIS EMAIL. I am forwarding this to the authorities for them to investigate.

here is my transaction thread for anyone's benefit.

Hi,
Are you capable of repairing laptops in bulk? Let me know.
Thanks

RESPONSE:
I do not have the ability to repair laptops in bulk.
Brian

Hello,
Thanks for the response. I have 10 HP 6910P laptops, they have been in storage for a while and are now being re-conditioned for use. Below are the things needed to be done one on each laptops.
1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Windows Vista Business, Service Pack2
3 Microsoft Office 2007 Package
4 AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
5 Adobe Acrobat
6 Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
7 Diagnostics of the entire system after to check harddisk, cd-rom, floppy, etc.
Get back to me with your total cost for the servicing of these laptops. I await your urgent response so that i can make moving arrangements and payment as soon as possible. I have all the necessary software needed for the service installations.
Thanks
System Config: Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz, OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business. 250GB SATA HDD @ 5400RPM. 14.1" WXGA Widescreen (1280 x 800), 4.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB). Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti drive (DVD+/-RW) w/Double Layer Support.

RESPONSE:
Hi Jeremy. I can setup and clean these laptops for you for $150 ea. The total would be $1500 for all 10 laptops. That will include all requested tasks to be performed including all currently available software updates for all installed software and operating system. I will also connfigure them to accept new software updates as they become available.
Please contact me directly for further arrangements.
Thank you,
Brian Davis
(Phone Number Provided to Jeremey here)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I got your quote, and I have compared with some others and I am okay with yours. Like I said, I have all the necessary software needed for the service installations. I will instruct my secretary to prepare a check for you on your name and address, so send me those along with your phone number, so as to prepare your check. I have a contracted shipper that will be responsible for the shipping of the laptops to your address and pick them up when you are done with it. I am looking forward to hear from you, so we can have payment and shipping concluded asap.
Thanks.

Always be wary of someone providing advanced payment for services by check when you have no clue where they reside.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 pm 

same scam different email. two different names

the first time her name was janet the second email her name was mary. exactly the same type of scam though.
larrysilva02@gmail.com and jannetblond@yahoo.com
just one question though, what do they get out of it? i mean seriously, where does the money they get come from? the excess i believe. huh. kinda looked forward to the work too i love computers. bummer. thanks to everyone in this forum, warned me just in time.

Hello,
I have been contracted to fix up 5 HP Compaq Presario cq62-209 (5 laptops) but at the moment i am far away attending to some other jobs. In view of this i want you to handle the fixing of the laptops on agreed terms.These are what need to be done on the laptops:
Format Hard Drive, Install Windows 7 pro, Microsoft Office Package, Microsoft security essentials anti-virus spyware, Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard and screen.I have all the necessary software and licenses needed for the service installations.If you are capable of handling this get back to me with the total cost for the services of 5 units. I am anxiously waiting for a reply from you so that we can proceed and i can go ahead to arrange moving and payments.

Hello,
thanks for the response.i am satisfied with your asking price. I have all the necessary software and licenses needed for the service installation for the Laptops as stated in my previous mail. So i will want you to send me your full names, Address and your cell phone number immediately so that i can instruct the project manager to prepare a check in your name for payment immediately.

---------Full Name:
---------Address( Not P.O Box ):
---------City:
---------State:
---------Zip code:
---------Phone: Home and cell:

I have a reliable shipper who will be responsible for the delivery of the Laptops to you and also the pick up after you have completed the job. A Cashiers check with an excess amount on it will be sent to you, so all you need to do when you receive the check is to deduct your service charge you want to do on the Units and wire the remaining cash balance on the payment to my Shipper who will be shipping the Laptops to you as i will instruct you later on. Thanks and hope you perform a perfect and great work on my Units.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 am 

Thanks for giving the heads up on this (these?) guy(s). I'm trying to sell a drumset on craigslist and got an e-mail from larrysilva02@gmail.com asking if it was still available. After responding yes, this is what he sent me.

"Thanks for writing back. I would have loved to come for the inspection myself but i just got married and i'm presently on my honeymoon trip with my wife but more pictures will be deeply appreciated. I'm willing to add an extra $30 so as to have it reserved in my favor. Payment will be sent to you inform of bank Certified Check and i wouldn't want you to be surprised to have some excess funds on the money that will be mailed to you b'cos i will need your assistance by helping me to transfer the remaining balance of funds that will be on the check to the movers so as to avoid delay and to enable movers to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location as i have other properties to be moved alongside yours. Kindly get back to me with your Full name, Mailing address (Include Apt or Unit number if available) and Cell phone # so as to make out the payment to you Asap."

This smelled quite fishy to me, but I was willing to work with this guy. But before I did, I did a quick google for his e-mail address and this page was #1. Needless to say I was not willing to play by his terms. I told him if he really wanted it he could come and get it after his honeymoon with cash, but I don't expect to hear from him again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm 

I have ALMOST fallen into the craigslist scam (the one from Nigeria). If I do receive the Post Office 'money order' what should I do with it? I know NOT to cash it, but would it be worth something to any authorities? Could I be a victim of identity theft because of this in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 pm 

Quote:
If I do receive the Post Office 'money order' what should I do with it?

You could call your local police department and ask to speak with someone in the fraud department. Ask that person if they would like the money order. Make sure you give them everything that comes with it including the envelope. If not just shred it. Best of luck to you.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php