ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scammed by Craigslist BUYER
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 am 

I've recently been scammed out of $3050 attempting to sell some furniture on Craigslist. I've moved to a different state, so I was selling furniture in my old house, 2 states away. Being busy, distant and fairly numb to scams, as I've had YEARS of good dealings online, I bought the unlikely story (unlikely in hindsight...) and was owned.

The scheme was basically that they wanted to buy my item. Their "secretary" sent me the mover's check and the mover my check. I was supposed to cash the check, wire the difference to the mover and arrange for pickup. I would have opted to pay the mover in person, but I'm not in the vicinity anymore. I waited for the check to clear into my bank account before wiring the funds, but it turns out that the money clearing into my account was not indicative of the check actually clearing the issuing bank. Check is returned, the wire transfer is picked up, and I'm out $3050. :(

Doing a post-mortem, I discovered the following site:

http://pr-me.blogspot.com/2008/05/list- ... names.html

I hope this may be useful to someone else. The perp. in my case was "Nina Myers" (momanina@live.com). Had I watched 24, I probably would have picked up on this scam...

Another thing that would have tipped me off is Microsoft's policy of adding the X-Originating-IP header to outbound e-mails. All the e-mails from "Nina" were from 41.219.208.121 - Nigeria. The last e-mail was from an IP that is local to where my furniture is. Yahoo also includes the IP of the submitter in the first Received header (from [IP] by <webserver> via HTTP).

Just wanted to share. I'll be glad to answer questions if I can be of help to anyone.

Post subject: Re: Scammed by Craigslist BUYER
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:12 pm 

I dont go to Craigslist anymore, too many scambags going on there. Now should I ever advertise to sell anything again, I want to find a way to get a total background check on the person, where they live, their name, number, birthdate, etc, that way i wont get scammed. Any way to do this??

Post subject: Re: Scammed by Craigslist BUYER
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm 

The best way would be to use paypal. Tell the buyer that once the money clears though paypal then you will send them the items. Let them know it will take up to three weeks. IMHO

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php