There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asking for suggestions on "fining" a scam artist
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:52 am 

Hey!

For the second time, I got a scam in my box. Short and sweet, I'm supposed to send back a prayer napkin (calling it a rug is a bit too generous, IMO), prayer request, and money. This looks to explain more about it if anyone is interested:

Jesus Prayer Rug Scam

More:

http://www.trinityfi.org/press/tulsaworld01.html

Anyway, this time I noticed that the church pays for return postage. Since I've known others hit by this scam, I thought it might be a good idea if as many as possible were to take advantage of this generosity and send it back, with say like 99 pennies for "seed money." While more than postage to send the envelope back with what the church wants back, it should cost the church several times that (at the very least, 3x that) for the weight of 99 pennies. If enough did it, then the cost of doing business could become prohibitive to them, thus saving others from being scammed.

I admit, it does sound like a lot to hope for. But I don't mind doing it.

What I'm not sure about is would the post office actually send it back to them? Is it likely that even pennies would be stolen by postal employees so that it doesn't get back (and thus the church isn't "fined" by me and anyone else who does this)? Is there anything better to send?

Or do you think it's just not a good idea?

I've never done anything like this, so I'm asking for ideas, suggestions, and thoughts on this. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Asking for suggestions on "fining" a scam arti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 am 
Gold Member

Janarky wrote:
Hey!

For the second time, I got a scam in my box. Short and sweet, I'm supposed to send back a prayer napkin (calling it a rug is a bit too generous, IMO), prayer request, and money. This looks to explain more about it if anyone is interested:

Jesus Prayer Rug Scam

More:

http://www.trinityfi.org/press/tulsaworld01.html

Anyway, this time I noticed that the church pays for return postage. Since I've known others hit by this scam, I thought it might be a good idea if as many as possible were to take advantage of this generosity and send it back, with say like 99 pennies for "seed money." While more than postage to send the envelope back with what the church wants back, it should cost the church several times that (at the very least, 3x that) for the weight of 99 pennies. If enough did it, then the cost of doing business could become prohibitive to them, thus saving others from being scammed.

I admit, it does sound like a lot to hope for. But I don't mind doing it.

What I'm not sure about is would the post office actually send it back to them? Is it likely that even pennies would be stolen by postal employees so that it doesn't get back (and thus the church isn't "fined" by me and anyone else who does this)? Is there anything better to send?

Or do you think it's just not a good idea?

I've never done anything like this, so I'm asking for ideas, suggestions, and thoughts on this. Thanks.

Why not just send them back a blank envelope and waste their postage? That way they pay the money up front for the postage and get nothing. Or better yet if they are sending prepaid envelopes why not use that blank envelope to mail in one of your bills or a letter to a loved one and have the scammers pay the postage to do that. If you want to send them something why not print off some funny money with a Nigerian eating poo or something extremely degrading (Saw this idea on thescambaiter.com).