ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rental scam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 am 

I received the following in response to a reply to an advert for on loquo.com for an apartment to rent in Madrid.
I haven't seen this scam logged anywhere else but it's worth noting;

This is the first reply I received in my response to an advert for an apartment in Madrid. It was from a 'David Smith'.

"Hello,

It is a great pleasure that to you are interested in my flat.Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am the owner of the house you are making enquiry of.Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as my wife and my only daugther
before and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my church and now situated in the (West Africa Nigeria) and presently my house is still available for rent.Let me know how long you will be staying in the apartnment so that I ca get back to you with the price. It is furnised.Moreso Now, i went for a missionary work in the West Africa .Pls i want you to
note that,i am a kind and honest,God fairing man and also i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute mentenance of this house and I want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.
The house is well furnished and i am now in West africa (Nigeria) and all i need form you is to fill the Rent Aplication Form so i will know you are really intrested in my apartment and the house is Well Furnished and i will be Accepting Payment Via Western Union Only. As you pack into the house God will bless you and your family and all the days of yuor life will
be fill with joy. The fearures in the apartment.

Washing machine and dryer, iron & ironing board,hairdryer, central air-conditioning and heating, microwave, oven, refrigerator/ freezer, juicer, blender, toaster, TV, DVD player, stereo, and Internet access with ADSL.
RENT APPLICATION FORM

Also,Plslet me get this answer.

1)Your Full Name
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)What is your religion?
10)How long are you staying in the apartment?

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.I will let you pay 500 euro every month if you promise to maintain the house very well.

Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the
key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do
this.

Thanks and you are welcome.

God bless you"

This was my reply;
Dear David,
I am so pleased that I may have at last found a residence in Madrid.

The apartment looks great. Could you please give me more details on the location, especially on how I would travel to La Finca at Pozuelo de Alarcon.
I will send you all the details you require as soon as you have shown me proof that you are the owner of the apartment we are discussing.
My bank has many branches in most African countries and once I have positive proof that the apartment is genuine I would happily send you a personal cheque that you can use before sending on any documents and keys.
If this is not suitable for you could you please explain why.

Many regards and God bless you.

The reply from David Smith was as follows;
" Here is the address to the apartemnet below...

Carracaldera, 20
Talamanca de Jarama
Madrid 28160
Spain

Regarding the paymnet the only way I can get payment here is via western union which is safe and fast.

God bless you"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:36 am 

Definately a scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

SCAM

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:18 pm 

i got the same reply , almost same wording off of craigslist. except they changed his name to jeff collins and the wife is living is miami. she hadnt gotten around to asking for my info but she did say she would send me an application

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:56 pm 

People are horrible these dyas. Don't they know what a hobby is and it doesn't consist of ripping people off. Geesh! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:32 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

The really sad part is that this is not a "hobby" for a lot of people . . . this is their "job". These scams are not run by just one person who is trying to mess with someone . . . these are large organized rings of people. This is all they do all day, and as they get better at it we have to work harder at trying to protect people.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 pm 

admin wrote:
The really sad part is that this is not a "hobby" for a lot of people . . . this is their "job". These scams are not run by just one person who is trying to mess with someone . . . these are large organized rings of people. This is all they do all day, and as they get better at it we have to work harder at trying to protect people.

That's what I was saying...they need to get a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun and relaxing not criminal.

Post subject: You guys have just saved me...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:57 pm 

First off, I am so glad I decided to look up the email. I was emailed through craigslist and here is the email. Looks familiar huh. Changed his name to Samual Cayhall. Part of it is exactly the same, only fit to what kind of place I was looking for.

Hello,
My name is Rev.Samuel cayhall, I have an apartment that strictly fit what you are looking for in all ways.I
actually reside in the house with my family before but presently we had moved out owing to my missionary work to uk which could last for 1 years.When I mean my family,I mean, I,my only child and my pets[major my dog and anna my cat].Presently my previous house is available for rent including utilities at $650 per month.
It is a spacious 1 bedroom with 1 bath,kitchen and firewood burning place, New paint, carpeting and window covering.car garage,small patio and pets friendly.Only 15min Walking distance to
shopping and transportation.Also ,the following are the amenities you will enjoy when the place is yours.

In-Home Washers & Dryers
Heated Parking Garage
fenced dog park
internet facility.

I left the keys of the apartment and the document with a cousine of my in NY. Please, i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest person and
i have spent energe,time and resourses alot on that apartment,so i will
solicit for your absolute mentenance of the apartment and want you to
manage it as your own if eventually you will be the occupant because I looked for a tenant that could take good care of the apartment before i travel but what i got was not satistfying at all that is why I left the keys and document with a cousine of my in NY,hoping that one day someone responsible will still come for the apartment.
so,I want you to promise me that you will not disappoint me at the long run.is that taken?it is not all for money sake but I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad
to see it neat and ok whenever i came back from my missionary work.
Inaddition,also want you to let me trust you as i always stand on my word.I dont know how urgent you need this house but i will like us to get a deal down so that the keys and the necessary document will be send to you and your payment start counting whenever you move in because has i had said earlier i need someone to move in to take good care of the house.Get back to me if you are intrested.

Thanks
Regards.
Rev.Samuel Cayhall.

And when I asked for information about the house and where it was... all I got was this: Title: YOU CAN TRUST ME....
"I just want you to know that i am real honest man and that the apartment is real also,have you forgotten that i am a minister of God and will not do such a thing.All i need from you is your trust and i will never let you down on this."
This is when my fiance pointed out [that I am an idiot first haha] and that no "man of God" would do such a thing as not post any proof of the place and just say that he is a minister of God and obviously that should clear everything up. Also the bank information was through Western Union. Here is what was given:

RECIEVER'S FIRST NAME:OLAMIDE
RECIEVER'S LAST NAME:ADEYEMI RECIEVERS ADDRESS:ESSEX,LONDON
COUNTY:BARKING

The poor grammar makes me want to cry as well. Learn2Read Scammers! I have reported him to http://www.ic3.gov and http://www.fraug.org.

Post subject: rental scam in paris
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:01 am 

Hi - looks like this scam is also being used in Paris - same deal - a Reverend looking to rent his home while he is posted in Nigeria and his wife is in Miami. I've included the emails I received from both him and his wife - you'll notice certain paragraphs are word-for-word exactly the same as the one you have posted online - even the "application form" is identical. Highly suspicious - esp. when I suggested we talk on the phone first before she rents out to a complete stranger - and she completely avoids the suggestion.... Thanks so much for sharing online -hopefully more people will be aware and not get duped!

Here's the text from the SCAM MAILS:

> > ----- Original Message -----
Date: Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:53 am
Subject: Re: Your ad on Craig's List (Beautiful Furnished Apt)

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am Rev Hamilton Ralph ,the owner of the house you are making enquiry of. Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as my wife and my only daugtherbefore and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in the Valencia Spain,and presently my house is still available for rent for 500 Euro Cn including the utilities like hydro,washerand security,it is furnised.Moreso Now, i went for a
Crusade in the West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in the state for more discussion as She is with the keys and the document to the house.Pls I want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also I spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute mentenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to
keep it tidy allthe time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.Where are you located and where do you see our advert also let us know if you need more pictures.

Email my wife Camila. on ( lathycamila@gmail.com )and she will attends to
you better.

God bless you
Rev. Hamilton Ralph

Original Message -----
Date: Monday, October 29, 2007 9:43 am
Subject: Re: Your ad on Craig's List (Beautiful Furnished Apt)

> Thanks for the email and also Yes, my husband in respect of Rev Ralph
> owned the house and also it is situated In du parc, 16 rue Charlemagne
> 75004 Paris sub Saint Paul - ligne 1. and also want you to know that
> it was due to my husband transfer that makes us to leave the
> house and
> also want to give it out for rent and looking for a resposible person
> that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for
> the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will
> rent it to take it as if it were its own.So for now,Am here in the
> State,Miami our new house and also with the keys of the house,we try
> to look for an agent that we can give this document before we
> left but
> could not see and we are as well as dont wnt our house to be
> used any
> how in our present that is why we toook it along to us here and
> as you
> know that,my husband over in the West africa for a mission of
> God,so i
> hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house.So get
> back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps
> experience you have in rentiong home.Hope you are okay with the price
> of 500 euros with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition,
> internet connection and so on. i look forward to hearing from
> you ASAP
> so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on
> how to get the house for rent,also are you ready to rent it now or
> when?
>
> Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:16 pm 
Gold Member

Did you notice in the emails from the husband and wife that the house is in two different countries? The husband says Spain and the wife says Paris? Sure sign of this being a fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:13 am 

Yes - you are absolutely correct about the cities being wrong.

Also, thought I'd post the rest of her reply - so that anyone receiving something similiar can be forewarned....

> > From: Camila Kamil <lathycamila@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:05 am
> > Subject: Re: Your ad on Craig's List (Beautiful Furnished Apartment)
> >
> > > Good hearing from you that you are promising us that our
> > > apartment will be
> > > well taken care off,and i appreciate your expression.So, i want
> > > you to stick
> > > to your words.Is that okay with you?And the below is the final
> > > question that
> > > you must answer to qualify for the rent of my flat.The price 500
> > > Euro per
> > > month including the hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition,
> > > internetconnection and so on.
> > >
> > >
> > > RENT APPLICATION FORM
> > >
> > > Also,Pls let me get this answer.
> > > 1)Your Full Name
> > > 2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number
> > > 3)How old are you?
> > > 4)Are you married?
> > > 5)How many people will be living in the house?
> > > 6)Do you have a pet?
> > > 7)Do you have a car?
> > > 8)Occupation?
> > > 9)What is your religion?
> > > 10)Are you born again?
> > > 11)1 month Or 2 month deposite needed
> > >
> > > Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so
> that i can
> > > have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt in your
> name and
> > > contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can
> discuss on
> > > how to get
> > > the documents and the keys to you,please we are giving you
> > > allthis based on
> > > trust and again i want you to stick to your words,We are putting
> > > everythinginto Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this
> > > property of ours and God
> > > bless you more as you do this.
> > > Let me know if you need the pictures of our apartment.
> > > Regards.
> > > Await your reply now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 am 

Funnily enough this morning I got 2 more replies to apartment inquiries I had sent out last week - all having some link to Nigeria and all eventually asking for a transfer to be made via Western Union.

All of them were replies to ads on Craig's List which on a first glance seem to look like all other rental listing ads.....they even go as far as to give you an exact address (which turns out to be fake). For your reading pleasure.....

It's disappointing that neither Craig's List nor Western Union are doing anything to stop this and save their reputations....

SCAM MAIL #2:
Date: Friday, October 26, 2007 10:38 am
Subject: Re: Your ad on Craig's List (3brm, St Sebastien)

> Hello,
> Is nice hearing from you, am Señor alegría from Spain but am in
> the UK for > my studies . Regarding the apartment is avalible, though
> am not the owner > of the apartment am a student, i came to paris, to work on
> my school > project, i really take good care of the apartment and when
> leaving the owner > handed it over to me, though his a Rev and his in West Africa (
> Nigeria) .
> Well you can keep intouch with me and am assuring you he will
> give it out > the way he gave it to me by taking it as your own and taking
> good care of > the place. The apartment is a very lovely and in a quite area
> you will like > it, below is the address, coming to the price is 1200Eur monthly
> and all > charges are included in the price given... to be honest after i
> have paid > for 1month deposit he never ask for any money from me after my
> stay for > 7months. So the most important thing is taking a very good care
> of his > apartment and it has a speed internet.
>
> location :
> City Paris
> Area Marais
> Address 16,Rue Thorigny - Paris FRANCE .
>
> Well I have to stop here, take care.
> Regards,
> Alegría
>

SCAM MAIL #3:
Hello,

It has been a hard time trying to get a nice person for my apartment. It has not been occupied for 2 month since I left for my new contract with Global Communications in Nigeria. I have flashy thing in there and I was afraid the new tenant will destroy the place. I rented the apartment since last year June and I still have 3 years to keep it.

Apartment location: Rue Quincampoix 10 --Paris.

I have the keys to the apartment with me and I will send them to you via 24 hours DHL so that you can check into the apartment ONLY after the following steps 1 bellow have been completed.

(Note: if you are not in agreement with these terms then no need to reply to this message)

1. If you agree to first make an advance payment of 200 Euros via Western Union for the processing and posting of the apartment keys and agreement papers both from me to landlord and from landlord to me, and posting of the keys and agreements papers from me to you.

The forms that will be sent to you for completion and your requirements:

A. Sub-lease apartment form.
B. Cosigner agreement form.
C. Guarantee of payment of rent form.
D. Rental agreement form
E. A scanned copy of your drivers’ license or international passport as proof of identity (This is also a part of the rental agreement).

400 Euro is the rent that I pay per month and it already include the utility expenses Electricity, Water, Internet, Microwave, Crokery/Cutlery, Satellite TV, Air conditioning, Clothes Dryer, Washing Machine, Telephone, Hydro, Washer, Security and heating. And the price is not negotiable at all so this is what you will pay per month also.
If you are ok and accept the procedures above then provide answers to questions I have bellow since they will be used to complete the package that will be sent to you via DHL.

FILL OUT THE FORM BELLOW

1) Your Full Name?
2) Your Full Address:
3) Phone Number?
4) How old are you?
5) Are you married?
6) How many people will be living in the house?
7) Do you have a pet?
8) Do you have a car?
9) Occupation?
10) How long do you intend to rent this apartment?
11) When exactly do you intend to move into the apartment?
11) When are you going to stop staying in the apartment?

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Gatlin
+ 234 806-297-6750
# 4, Secretariats Lane,
Victoria Garden City,
Lagos State, 23401 Nigeria
E-Mail: Billgatlin.com
Web site: http://www.gatlin.homestead.com

Land Lord:
Phone: + 44 702-406-4033
04 Church Lane,
Ladybank, Fife, KY15 7JY,
Scotland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:41 am 
Gold Member

h. wrote:
Yes - you are absolutely correct about the cities being wrong.

Also, thought I'd post the rest of her reply - so that anyone receiving something similiar can be forewarned....

> > From: Camila Kamil <lathycamila@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:05 am
> > Subject: Re: Your ad on Craig's List (Beautiful Furnished Apartment)
> >
> > > Good hearing from you that you are promising us that our
> > > apartment will be
> > > well taken care off,and i appreciate your expression.So, i want
> > > you to stick
> > > to your words.Is that okay with you?And the below is the final
> > > question that
> > > you must answer to qualify for the rent of my flat.The price 500
> > > Euro per
> > > month including the hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition,
> > > internetconnection and so on.
> > >
> > >
> > > RENT APPLICATION FORM
> > >
> > > Also,Pls let me get this answer.
> > > 1)Your Full Name
> > > 2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number
> > > 3)How old are you?
> > > 4)Are you married?
> > > 5)How many people will be living in the house?
> > > 6)Do you have a pet?
> > > 7)Do you have a car?
> > > 8)Occupation?
> > > 9)What is your religion?
> > > 10)Are you born again?
> > > 11)1 month Or 2 month deposite needed
> > >
> > > Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so
> that i can
> > > have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt in your
> name and
> > > contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can
> discuss on
> > > how to get
> > > the documents and the keys to you,please we are giving you
> > > allthis based on
> > > trust and again i want you to stick to your words,We are putting
> > > everythinginto Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this
> > > property of ours and God
> > > bless you more as you do this.
> > > Let me know if you need the pictures of our apartment.
> > > Regards.
> > > Await your reply now.

This is just bad, these guys must be new or dumb or both. First they have the place in 2 different cities in the first 2 emails you posted. Now they first say it's an apartment in one line and then say it's a house in another line. The funniest part about this email is the fact they ask for eithera one or two month deposit. They don't even know how much of a deposit they want. These people should find a new line of work because they are horrible scam artists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 am 
Gold Member

h. wrote:
Funnily enough this morning I got 2 more replies to apartment inquiries I had sent out last week - all having some link to Nigeria and all eventually asking for a transfer to be made via Western Union.

All of them were replies to ads on Craig's List which on a first glance seem to look like all other rental listing ads.....they even go as far as to give you an exact address (which turns out to be fake). For your reading pleasure.....

It's disappointing that neither Craig's List nor Western Union are doing anything to stop this and save their reputations....

I have noticed that Craig's list is a hotbed for hookers and scam artists. I will never sell or buy anything listed on Craig's list unless it is from someone local that I can hand deliver cash to and see the merchandise.

And as far as WU or CL not doing anything, what can they truly do? They could question every single transaction, but that would be a waste of time and money or they can let the consumer make an educated decision. As much as I feel for the scam victims it is truly their responsibility to research what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:16 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

russellj84 wrote:
They could question every single transaction, but that would be a waste of time and money or they can let the consumer make an educated decision.

This is why I still believe that there needs to be more education to the general public about these scams . . . public service announcements.