ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP .. I THINK I MIGHT BE GETTING SCAMED
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:35 pm 

allright here is my situation.. i have displayed interest in adopting a parrot which i found an add in on a local online classified page.. and i have contacted the owner of the parrot only to find out that he is not local at all but lives in Cameroon... i have been communicating with him back and forth now via email.. i will include our convo in this post .. plaese help me and give me your honest opinion if you think he is preassuring me to give and fall into a trap .. or if he is being sincere... i really appresciate it thatnks!.. heres the emails..

HIM:
Hi there,thanks for your mail regarding my bird,She is still available
to any one prepare to provide her with enought care and love,where she
will be well spoilt with all her need.She is 18weeks old and has very
good temparement with kids and other pets,very palyful love to play
around with toys and kids,She is health guranteed and registered,vet
checked.She is up to date on all her shots and will be coming along
side
her health papers and vet records.She is called lily.Please
may i ask you a few questions?where are you located?are
  will be waiting for your mail asap
  thanks

ME:
great to hear from you.. i live in brampton

HIM:
HELLO, I AM VERY GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU SO SOON.LILY IS A VERY GOOD PET,THAT WILL
LIKE TO DO AS YOU WILL SAY,SHE LISTENS TO COMMAND AND ,SHE ALSO LIKE TO WALK AND
PLAY TOO WITH KIDS AND OTHER PETS.SHE LOVES TO SLEEP WITH PEOPLE AND ALSO LOVE
TO BE CARRIED IN THE HANDS. I KNOW THAT LILY WILL BE VERY GLAD TO CHANGE A
HOME.THE REASON THAT I WILL LIKE TO ADOPT LILY OUT BE BECAUSE OF MY WORKING
CONDITIONS,MY WORKING HOURS ARE TOO MUCH AND I HAVE NO TIME FOR HER AND ALSO THE
CLIMATIC CONDITION OF THE PLACE IS NOT GOOD FOR HER,I DONT WANT HER TO SUFFER AND ALSO I WANT HER EVER HAPPY SO JUST WHICH YOU GIVE HER A GOOD,CARING AND LOVING HOME LULU WILL BE SHIP FROM CAMEROUN AND WILL TAKE 9HOURS TO GET TO YOUR LOCATION.I NEED TO KNOW YOUR SHIPPING
INFORMATION, .INFO....FULLNAMES. ....PHONE#......CITY/STATE.......NEAREST AIRPORT
TO YOUR HOME FOR PICK
UP.........HOUSE/STREET#.......I SHALL BE HAPPY IF YOU PROVIDE THIS INFO,SO WE
CAN PROCEED IN PREPARING HER TRAVELLING PAPERS. I WAIT TO READ FROM YOU.ASAP
THANKS

ME:
is it safe to be able to ship a bird over seas?

HIM:
she will be ship in a cage well ventilated and and with food and water.
 lily will just feel at home and there will be no problem.
more to that the shipping company have alway ship birds and they arrive to the owners with no problems.
 the shipping company is very caring with pets ok
lily will be very well ok
waiting

ME:
what kind of cage? becuase i still havent purchased one

HIM:
the cage is a brass cage and that cost about $145.00 but not to worry she will be coming along side a cage and some toys ok
  can you give me.....FULLNAMES. ....PHONE#......CITY/STATE.......NEAREST AIRPORT
TO YOUR HOME FOR PICK
UP.........HOUSE/STREET#.......I SHALL BE HAPPY IF YOU PROVIDE THIS INFO,SO WE
CAN PROCEED IN PREPARING HER TRAVELLING PAPERS. I WAIT TO READ FROM YOU.ASAP
THANKS

ME:
im sorry but i have never recieved shipment from overseas.. i would just like to know more informationabout this shipping .. weather or not i need to pay any fees .. and if i need to pick my bird up at the airoport or if it will be delivered to my door.. sorry if im annoying you with these precautions.. but i want to make sure everything is explained to me befor i actually go though with a large step like this

HIM:
you will need to pay just for the shipping and delivery fare that is $200.00 and then i will take care of the adoption paper and the rest that will be needed.
she will be delivery at your door step be camair.
have i answer all the question please.
feel free to ask any question ok
waiting

ME:
im still debating with the whole situation.. are you sure 200$ canadian will be the maximum free? and is there any way u can suply me with valid photos of what i will be recieving
thanks

HIM:
IT IS $200.00 USD
BELOW IS AN ATTACHMENT OF HER PIC.HOPE YOU WILL LIKE HER
WAITING

( he sent me a picture )

ME:
she is a beautiful bird.. what about the accessories?

HIM:
yes she will be coming along side with some toys and play stand too,can you give me your information please

ME:
how will i know that you are not scaming me?

HIM:
i will sent the adoption paper to you.you will sign with one witness and then i will sign too with a witness here cos this is an agreement with is this i am sure that nop one could go away in case of any thing ok.
   is that ok.
 waiting

ill explain the rest... we had agreed to sign adoption papers via mail befor the shipment of the actual bird.. and for the payment he wanted it to be though western union.. so he supplied me with his info and all.. and hes is somewhat pressuring me to send the money ... and i made up an excuse of why i cant do it right now.. and he is now trying to lower the shipment payment and wants to ship out the bird by tomorrow... and i believe he forgot about our agreement about the adoption papers...

please help me and give me your honet opinion .. is this a scam witing to happen..????

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:30 am 
Gold Member

Of course it's a scam - if you pay the shipping fees, he'll come back to you with more 'invented' fees that you have to pay before he can ship you the parrot (which probably doesnt even exist).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 am 

It's definately a scam.

Post subject: Re: HELP .. I THINK I MIGHT BE GETTING SCAMED
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:50 am 

100% SCAM, of course.

Slopes wrote:
.LILY IS A VERY GOOD PET,THAT WILL
LIKE TO DO AS YOU WILL SAY,SHE LISTENS TO COMMAND AND ,SHE ALSO LIKE TO WALK AND
PLAY TOO WITH KIDS AND OTHER PETS.SHE LOVES TO SLEEP WITH PEOPLE AND ALSO LOVE
TO BE CARRIED IN THE HANDS.

I love this part, which was obviously written for a puppy or kitten. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:42 pm 

I work for an electrical company, and we have seen this scam for electrical components. It has increased over the last year and each time, they seem to "try" to get smarter and more convincing. What you wrote is basically exactly what we see in regards to this scam, only replaced with other words. What they do is gain your information and then destroy your credit and you have no product to show for it and the address they provide you is not legit. The most recent scam at my employment, the person got wise and provided a NY address, instead of out of the country, but thanks to google maps, we mapped it out and the address was that of an abandoned field. And, thanks to google, the email domain address is from one of those sites that allows the person to send emails that can't be traced.

So, no, don't do it. There are plenty of birds in the US, that are in need of a home with good reputations. Stay away and block his email address.

Post subject: I am comforted
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:19 pm 

I am comforted by your escape from a scam! This web site works! I feel better already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:18 am 

Definately a scam. It is always best to buy pets from pet shops or from people whom you can actually meet and possess the relevant documentations. Never try and buy animals that requires shipping from overseas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:00 am 
Just worked a "puppy scam" guy from overseas wanted to buy a puppy sent $4000 too much in counterfeit money orders and wanted the excess wired to him.

Scammers are everywhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 am 

Rule of thumb:

1) Never use a means of payment that is insecure(Western Union, Money Gram, Wire Transfer, etc) or that cannot be tracked. Although there are fees involved, Paypal offers buyer protection that is hard to come by. You can send money for free via Paypal but are charged a 3% fee to receive money. If the person cannot receive Paypal then GET OUT NOW!

2) Never give out your personal information. (Credit card numbers, SS#, Address, etc) without feeliong 100% certain that the transaction is legitimate.

3) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS realize that if it sounds to good to be true, IT IS! Remember that theres no such thing as a free lunch in this world!

-Anthony 19/m/Fl