ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powerbooks from Singapore, Indonesia. Scam?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:48 am 

Hi all,

As I was looking around for a new Powerbook I found the (well-known here :roll: ) Alibaba.com site. In the beginning I wanted to buy just one but then I found out that when I buy some more I could make some money and get mine for cheap. After some mails I get in touch with someone called Angie Renzi. We agreed on an order of 4 Apple Powerbooks at $950,- each, incl shipping. I would make a 35% payment by Western Union (my idea) or wire transfer. She said she would pay the transfer rate of the western union transaction too.
Worst thing that could happen is I lost my 1330 bucks...

Remarkable things: I should send the westen union money transfer to a guy in indonesia (she is based in singapore) wich was described as her dealer. I got her account info too, for the wire transfer. She is using a yahoo webmail adress, on alibaba the company is said to be "sce global". I got two phonenumbers, didn't tried them yet. For good understanding: I did not bought anything yet, but am ready to

Anyone got an advice: too good to be realistic or just a great deal? I'm afraid I know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:56 am 

update:

After some doubts I cancelled the order. I received two references as said to be people who had bought stuff before. One guy from Hong Kong, one lady from the USA. So I mailed those people and received a reaction immediatly. A positive reaction (of course). Then I traced the emails I got form those two as well as from the seller and guess what: they came all from the same IP, based in...Indonesia. I think we know enough, be warned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:00 pm 

Did you ask her if she'd go for a credit card payment? These are insured.

Does she have web presence (website, etc.)?

Could it be that Indonesia is trying to show itself on the infamous fraud map next to sister countries like Romania and Nigeria? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:17 pm 

No website except a listing on alibaba.com and ec21.com. Both with a different adress (one Singapore, one Hong Kong). Did not asked for creditcard payment, is that the most reliable way of making a payment?
By the way, anyone suggestions for a powerbook, still need one .... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:33 pm 

The safest method of payment is "here's the product, pay me when you get it".
Now back to real life. Credit cards are, in most countries, insured. This means if you claim you didn't do the deal, and the other party does not show proof you did, you get your money back.
Furthermore, if you claim you paid for a service that was not supplied (be it a product, or whatever kind of service) they will refund your money.

Right next to that, for bigger international deals, you have the L/C (letter of credit), which means you deposit money in the bank and are issued a letter which you send to the other party as proof. Money is not released until you approve that you received the goods. It has a relatively high cost, but I guess when you make a big deal (thousands, millions, etc. not a few hundreds...), it is worth it.

Below that is PayPal. They insure you, but there are eventual cases of account thefts, etc.

Bank transfers are below that - you transfer the money to an account. Chances of getting it back if things get bad are slim, to none. BUT, in order to transfer the money you need a 'working' bank account on the other side, which means someone needs to establish it using some form of ID. Since banks do SOME validation of customers, you get SOME safety you're not talking to a non-existing person. Chasing the guy in case of a fuckup will be your job. And not an easy one might I add...

Last, well last AND least actually, comes the scammers best friend: Money transfer. Western Union, MoneyGram, etc. These you should NEVER use to give money to someone you don't know.

Hope I gave you some answers; If anyone knows of any other acceptable methods of payment, add them on.