There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Union Evaluation Scam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm 

Hello all -

I am signed up with several focus groups and have participated in the past. I recently got an email re: a Western Union Evaluation survey paying $300. I agreed to participate and rec'd a check in the mail for over $2800.00. I thought that that was an unusually high amount to deal with and became suspicious. After doing some research on the net, I found this website.

Your site confirmed that I was dealing with a scam. I want to thank you for caring enough to post so much information to protect people like myself from being hurt by con artists. I have been unemployed and very broke for some time, and this would have been really terrible for me.

I'm posting the email I received below. I will also be contacting the bank the check was issued from (Wells Fargo) and the police. Fortunately I found this site before taking any action!

Thank you again!

Good morning,
The postal service just confirmed delivery of the survey packet sent to you.The packet contained
a letter from us and a check for the Western union evaluation.

Follow the instructions below to complete the survey .

Deduct your pay of $300 after cashing/depositing the official check at your bank
Deduct another $180 for transfer fees and any other expenses i.e gas & transport.

Locate the nearest Western Union agent location within your neighborhood (RITE AID,UNION STATION
MARKET,MONEYTREE,SAFEWAY,TRAVELEX CURRENCY,MONEY MART,QFC)and make a transfer
of what's left of the funds after deduction of your pay and other fees to the information below,you are to
appear as a potential customer making a Western Union transfer to a relative.

Marion Craig
5559 CABRILLO CT
ROCKLIN CA 95765

Be sure to observe the following during the transfer : how long it took you to get services,Intelligence of the
attendant and Customer service professionalism during the transfer process and under no circumstances
should the Western Union Agents know this evaluation is being carried out on them.

Email me as soon as you complete the transfer with the following information;
MTCN #,
AMOUNT SENT,
NAME & ADDRESS OF SENDER,
WESTERN UNION LOCATION SURVEYED.

We shall send you the survey questionnaire after confirming carrying out the evaluation. Note that participation
in future studies depends on how fast and how well you carry out this evaluation.

Thank you and get back to me as soon as the evaluation is completed today.

Yours faithfully,
Daniel Spitz
Market Research Analyst
TNY Designs & Marketing inc.