ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Betty Marcus' emails to me!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hello, you can see info on Betty Marcus in this topic posted in 09.
http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3575
My post there "Hello, I too have been scammed by "betty marcus"!! I auctioned Final Fantasy figures, for $220 on Craigslist; Well.. Betty pays me with a money-gram money order says her assistant overpaid by $765 (I got $985) I cash it @ walmart, SEVERAL clerks gang up on me like I made a fraudulent M/O!! Marcus said she is going to London. And wanted me to western union the overpay to her once i receive the m/o I received it Saturday @ 2:20 pm. and Betty Marcus emails me at 2:30 pm, "Send me the western union details please"
I have contacted her and told her I figured her out!
What do I do?? :( Email she used bettymarcus@sams-tech.net"

:o Now onto her messages.
She sent me a text, asking if they were available, I said yes. Then emails!(hers are bold text)

"Hi, I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I
will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which
I'm sure you will get it in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20
extra for the delay. Money Order is the means I can pay you with. If
this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e full name, mailing
address and your phone number so payment can be mail out immediately.I
will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must
have received and cashed the Money Order.
Awaiting your info
Thanks"
3/11/2011

"OK. M/O is fine. just wondering if you can pay thru paypal? if not thats ok./
Thank you." 3/11/2011

"I'm very serious and honest buying from you and am willing to turn down this transaction with you for good and fast.Money Order is only means i can pay you with so If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number so payment can be mail out immediately okay." 3/11/2011

OK. Then I sent her my address and details, My father had to cash it; I had flu.

"Hi, have you sent money order of $220? And will i be shipping the figures, or will I be expecting someone to arrive at my home?
If someone is coming to my home, it has to be before 9:30 am, is this okay?" 3/12/2011

"Hi,I urgently have bring something to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another transaction was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the Money order, deduct your money and send back the balance to me. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at rest.
Thanks"
3/13/2011

"^^ How much did you overpay? And yes you can trust me on this :)" 3/13/2011

"Hi,
I am sure you will receive the payment soon. Once you receive, Please proceed to your bank and cash the MoneyGram Money Orders. After cashing, Please deduct your money and take the rest money to the nearest Western Union Outlet and send the balance money to me on the following details:

Name : BETTY MARCUS
Address : 60 Hyde Park Gate
City : London

After sending the money, please email me the following western union transfer details

1. MTCN (10 digit numbers)
2. SENDER'S NAME AND ADDRESS
3. TOTAL AMOUNT SENT AFTER DEDUCTING TRANSFER CHARGES
(please pay the transfer charges from my balance money)

I will really appreciate if you can get this done as soon as you receive the payment so that arrangement for pick-up can commence.
Thanks"
3/17/2011

"OK. In case you may not know; Someone has to come to my home to pick the figures up. I cannot go to anyone elses home. Just want to make sure you know that. I will send the overpay to you via western union once i receive it." 3/172011

OK! I received the Moneygram now, @ 2:20 pm. ten minutes later, she sends a message!
I at this moment haven't cashed it, (Cashed it today, 3/20) so i am being nice.

"Please email me the western union transfer details." 3/19/2011

"OK. I will western union a little later today, and i will send you all the details! thank you." 3/19/2011

"Thanks I will be waiting" 3/19/2011

NOW, I just figured out it was fake at about 4pm today. I get home around 9pm and send her messages now.

"Well hello there, I just *tried* to cash your moneygram at walmart, i was over paid of $985. And i was told its a fake money order, several Walmart workers, and a security guard circled me as if i done something wrong like writing out fake money orders, They also said "Several other people received money-grams of exactly $985, they were all fake." Is this some sick joke of yours? or what? You expect me to western union you $765 from a fake money gram? First of all, I WILL turn in this fake money order and get the law involved if you don't fix this problem, You obviously, expected me to dig $765 out of my pocket and western union it to you, while i don't even get the $220. Apparently; you purposefully mispaid me by $985, so you could profit over $700. As Walmart said, LOTS of money grams of $985 came in. So if I had cashed this fake crap at my bank...I'd be in prison. If you don't fix this I will get the law involved. You'd better hope your "assistant" made a little mistake, Or is there no assistant either?! Damn, you probably expected me to western union the overpay before I even cashed this thing...Too bad. I actually, am ENTITLED to the near $1,000 for either your STUPIDITY or mistake. But since I am not a scam; i'd western union your $765 of the $985 IF you fix this by issuing another moneygram. Let's start from square one. Do it right this time. Send me a GENUINE money order of $985. I will cash it. I will western union you the $765....Otherwise; I WILL get the law involved.
FIX YOUR MISTAKE!" 3/20/2011 @ 9:42 pm

"Just a quick question: Is it you or your "assistant" that scammed me, and almost put me behind bars?"
3/20/2011 @9:51 pm

"Oh, and I find it suspicious that the money-gram was issued "October 2010" ...?? More scam stuff?"
3/20/2011 @ 9:59 pm

"The F.B.I will love you baby!" 3/20/2011 @ 10:12pm

OK. so far thats all. But, What should I do?? The money order is a money gram. Says from CALIFORNIA. Doesn't state her phone number anywhere. FBI?? what to do??

This is the CL ad of mine:
http://tricities.craigslist.org/clt/2257059202.html

Anyone else been scammed by this B!tch? :cry:

Post subject: Re: Betty Marcus' emails to me!
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:19 pm 

This 'Betty Marcus' TRIED to scam me too but I've seen this before and caught them at it before I was out anything!

Hi,
I'm glad it's still up for sale. I'm going on a business trip to
London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your
payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 4 - 6 business days.
I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Check / Money Order is the means I
can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e
full name, mailing address and your phone number so payment can be
mail out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which
will be after you must have received and cashed the Check / Money
Order.
Awaiting your info
Thanks
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm 

I posted a car for sale on craigslist. I received email from "betty marcus". It was the same one she has sent to others on here. I had a very strange feeling about it so i did a search on the email address she sent from and the link for this page popped up. I read all the post and immediately sent her back an email saying i knew it was a scam. this is the email she sent me:

Hi,
I'm glad it's still up for sale. I'm going on a business trip to
London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your
payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 4 - 6 business days.
I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Check / Money Order is the means I
can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e
full name, mailing address and your phone number so payment can be
mail out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which
will be after you must have received and cashed the Check / Money
Order.
Awaiting your info
Thanks

Apparently this person has scammed many people. How do you catch someone like this. Who do you contact??

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

mountiangrl30 wrote:
How do you catch someone like this. Who do you contact??

While the chances that they will catch the scammer are very low, you can contact the resources found here

http://scamvictimsunited.com/Reporting_scams.htm

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch