ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meridian Ponzi Scheme: Victims and Supporters Page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:03 pm 

2centavos:

You asked if DB had an escape planned. The FBI and the US State's Attorney's office certainly seem to think so:

http://seattle.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel10/se102110.htm

The justice department link below has links to the actual charging document along with a downloadable victim impact statement if you feel that you were harmed:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/waw/victim_witness/berg/victim_witness_cases_berg.htm

As for your other questions I just don't feel qualified to answer them.

In light of the charges however, I don't think that ANYONE is going to just write a check for anything without going through everything with an army of lawyers, auditors and accountants.

Post subject: Re: Meridian Ponzi Scheme: Victims and Supporters Page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm 

Thanks to BB & TMO for your candid and enlightening answers to my queries.

The thing that was taken from me is not neccessarily something tangible but instead I feel that sense of loss that the GOP felt when their head guy (I am not a liar, Nixon) was caught lying and summarily resigned from office disgraced. Just like someone sucker punched me in the gut.

Hopefully in chat rooms such as this one there will will be some solace as we commensurate collectively. Getting the words and feelings pounded out via this medium may help overall in the realization that we are not alone in our pain.

Certainly I am not dwelling on this every moment of the day, but at times it comes to the surface via some news that's relating to the whole fiasco and then I get a twinge of angst, followed by a bit of the blues and even melancholy. I am surprised to find I am beyond anger.

Thanks again TMO & BB for you responce to my posts, best wishes to each of you.
p.s. TMO the castoffs put to good use , i.e. charity and the like, kudos go out to you from 2centavos. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Alleged Meridian Ponzi Scheme: Victims and Supporters Page
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 pm 

Greekam, people are not too embarassed to speak up. Many are being blackmailed and threatened into silence. In case you didn't know, Berg's goons are still at work, trying to shut people up. There are victims who were forced to sign gag agreements in exchange for information and to get their silence. One large investment firm and at least one law firm, both "agents" for Meridian have threatened endless litigation and financial ruin for those investors who won't shut up or sign their gag orders. So the goons have scared many into silence.

These are really, really ugly people. They are the lowest of the low and the bottom feeders of society. They wear expensive clothes, drive expensive cars (courtesy of Meridian) and put on airs of superiority. But they are no diferent than any other "human" predator. They'll do anything and and say anything to save their own sorry butts. They have no moral compass, no conscience and absolutely no interest in anything other than saving saving their own sorry skins and covering their tracks. They'll blame anyone and everyone for their crimes, using slander and lies to get themselves out of the corners they've painted themselves into. So don't just assume people are "embrrassed", many are scared, others just want to cut their losses and put this mess behind them.

The FBI, the DOJ and the trustee are taking complaints and the DOJ is taking statements from victims as well as documenting the threats (past and present) being made by Berg's cromies. They already have the names and documentation of some of the threats the thugs made, and continue to make. If you've been threatened, or have been told to keep quiet, you are not alone. Don't waste time! Contact the DOJ and the trustee, they need to know! Contact the media. They're also investigating these thugs and their many accomplices.

It's not just the "agents" for Meridian, it's also the investment advisors who directed people to this scam with promises of commissions for their efforts. Ditto for those less than scrupulous Meridian investors who sent unsuspecting victims to Meridian with the promise of "finders fees" or better rates of return.

Berg's cronies aren't off the hook by any means, and they're all trying to scrub their association with Berg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm 

Berg's really not too hard to figure out, he is the poster boy for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'm not a shrink, just someone who has had the great misfortune to have been surrounded by a family of ego-maniacal, and unbeleivably cruel narcissists.

Most of Berg's cronies are also deluded by the same malady. Narcissists will never see themselves as anything but the perfect beings their egos demand. To be considered a mere mortal just isn't tolerable. They cannot fail. So they go out of their way to elevate themselves above the rest of us mere humans. They lie, steal, slander, malign and do Anything to be viewed as the smartest, the brightest, the most handsome, the pretttiest, the most sucessful and the darling of everything. Nothing will stop them and if they get caught, or things go wrong, they'll be the first to try and extricate themselves from the mess and blame everyone else. It's a disorder that is nearly impssible to treat. one has to first acknowledge they have a problem for therapy to work. And narcissists are incpapable of acknowledging anything but their own perfection. The only thing narcissists understand is the sound of a jail door slamming in their faces. And even then, they'll be in utter disbelief that anyone would view them as less than perfect.

Read the following. You'll see Berg and his cronies all over it:

Quote:
The clinical syndrome of Narcissism (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) is described in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) of the American Psychiatric Association as: "A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy."

According to the DSM-IV, the disorder begins by early adulthood and is indicated by the subject exhibiting at least five of the following:

1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance
2. Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or
ideal love
3. Believes he is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement
6. Selfishly takes advantage of others to achieve his own ends
7. Lacks empathy
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him
9. Shows arrogant, haughty, patronizing, or contemptuous behaviors or attitudes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 am 

That sure rings a bell with me--especially the part about the jail door slamming in their face. I hope they give him a psych evaluation and realize that this guy is just going to keep on doing what he's doing until he's shut down for good. They've gotta get the whole picture on this guy and not just this most recent scam.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:52 am 

Touche! N.P.D....

Oh the grandiosity and the drama I had to to witness over the years - the ranting and raving

DerBerglar to the core....

Hey thanks again BusBear for setting up this forum...I can only imagine that this is helping many of us process and as a result many of the questions and mysteries have been solved.

HocusPocus, I was wondering...while yes I have exercised caution and been watching my back, just who are these goons? From a Meridian standpoint I cannot imagine anyone left standing there would be engaging in these practices - are these "outsourced" thugs?

Your welcome D.C. Between Goodwill, Francis House, Angels in the Desert most of the excess was recycled and put to good use. In your recollection was that tail out green silk shirt a short sleeve olive green colored one? I will give him this that despite the N.P.D. he sure had good taste.

Another take on it, much like the disappointment felt by those betrayed by "I am not a crook" R.M.N. Darren did inspire so many of us (by that I mean the good aspects one had to ignore all the negatives) But then again so did Reverend Jones....you have to be so careful these days and that means not losing your critical thinking skills and as BusBear states out of all this exercising an abundance of caution when making out a check....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm 

Hi everybody -- just a note to ask if you see a link to an interesting article feel free to post it here!

Drive Carefully!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm 

ThatMarginalOne, Berg didn't operate alone. There are "agents" and "advisors" for Meridian who sold this garbage and others who set up the "investments", did the filings and crafted the douments, etc. Most were conned by Berg, but there are some who kept pushing this scam, with the knowledge it was a black hole. It's those con artists who are trying to cover their butts. Rather then protect their clients, they deliberately kept the con going, telling worried investors that the funds were solvent. This was at the same time the funds were imploding.

In true parasitic form, they made sure they severed their unholy alliances with Meridian the minute it went TU and Berg was busted. But investors and other victims demanded answers and their money back. Some threatened legal action against those same agents and advisors. This would put their names and complaints in the public record and they couldn't allow that to happen.

Apparently others threatened to go to the media with their complaints. That meant derogatory information would be in the purview of the public, which is the last thing they wanted. Complaints about the "secret" ballots also created problems. There is good reason to believe that these "secret ballots" were also a sham. The outcome of the votes always seemed to favor Berg and the funds, even while lawsuits against Meridian were pending in court. Since they were "secret", investors weren't privy to the details of the vote tallies. Another headache for the insiders.

When the scam imploded, those with mud on their faces had to keep the dissenters quiet. To make sure they weren't sued and their dirty laundry aired, the threats and finger pointing began. The message being, stay silent or speak out at your own peril. There were those who had to sign "gag papers."

While the less-than-honorable advisors can say they are no longer acting on behalf of Meridian, they can't erase the past.

ThatMarginalOne, your name implies you were a victim of Berg's abuse and power trips. You deserve a name more suited to one with integrity. Think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm 

HocusPocus

Thank you for your insight. I am fortunate that all along I kept DerBerglar at arms length throughout - and did not lose too much. Quite the contrary I have been able to take DerBerg lemons and make lemonade from this debacle. The T.M.O. byline is in reference to the fact while they did not name me directly his hired gun PDs referred to me as "the marginal individual" in their flimsy flim flam defense of him last week so I am pleased to know that I have evidently been a thorn in his side. Trust me I have a much better nickname for my day job ;)

Also I am glad that I was never directly involved in the business dealings but having seen this kabuki play many times before, I was not surprised to see what I call the "Rat ta tap Dance" of the rats playing out as the bus was and has been sinking....Human nature I suppose. I do feel bad for all those caught up in this tangled mess. It is unfortunate that it never was a legitimate operation.

Time will tell but it is nice to see that the truth is finally seeing the light of day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:29 pm 

DB part of the nationwide DOJ dragnet:

http://mercerisland.patch.com/articles/mercer-islands-berg-part-of-doj-dragnet

Eric Holder speaking from the White House detailing "Operation Broken Trust:"

http://online.wsj.com/video/operation-broken-trust-targets-investment-fraud/E0B781C8-E911-479F-8D63-CEFF2CABFB05.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:48 pm 

BerglarAlarm:

Evidently DerBunglar is gonna give it the "ole college try" even though, ahem, he did not obtain those degrees...
but I digress:
Detention Appeal set for Friday December 17 @ 2:pm....

Stay tuned....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 pm 

He's got a mind like a steel trap. I hope the judge is aware that he could charm his way out of a comanche scalping, so he'll probably come up with a duesey of an appeal. No one should breathe easy until the verdict is read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:53 pm 

Time has proven that Madoff didn't work alone as he claimed. And neither did Berg. It's the "clean up crews" that DOJ has to watch, the same ones threatening investors and victims.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd20e1e6-048c-11e0-a99c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz17lbntUy5

Madoff trustee launches $19.6bn lawsuit
from the Financial Times Published: December 10 2010

The US trustee representing ­the victims of Bernard Madoff, has filed a $19.6bn lawsuit accusing almost 60 people and institutions, including some of Italy and Austria’s largest banks, of participating in a decades-long “illegal scheme”.

The suit, which includes claims of unjust enrichment and conversion of stolen money, was filed on Friday in US bankruptcy court against Ms Kohn,six family members, the three banks and some of their staff. In the past, Ms Kohn has denied any involvement in Madoff’s fraud..........

........At its heart, the lawsuit alleges Ms Kohn had a secret agreement dating back to 1987 with Mr Madoff to faciliate the scheme, and that he destroyed many of the records of it shortly before confessing in December 2008. He is serving a 150-year prison sentence......

......Mr Picard further alleges that the funds Ms Kohn oversaw made $536m in withdrawals in the two months before the Ponzi scheme collapsed and that she “directed” her husband to pull all their money out of Bank Medici days before Mr Madoff went to authorities.

According to the lawsuit, Ms Kohn was paid $62m in kickbacks from a special fund at Mr Madoff’s New York brokerage for recruiting investors. She also raked in millions of dollars through her stakes in Bank Medici and other companies set up to market and manage Madoff feeder funds.

UniCredit then moved to “obfuscate” its relationship with Mr Madoff by having the Bank Austria Primeo hedge fund sell its direct investment and move the money into other hedge funds that also invested with Mr Madoff, the complaint said.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 am 

thanks hocuspocus for scooping that story. For those who don't have an account at the Financial Times (and hence can't read the article), here is link to this morning's Seattle Times version of it:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2013651059_madoff11.html

RICO is a powerful tool.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 am 

So true....take nothing for granted with this one...don't let him Scrushy us....Healthsouth where Richard Scrushy pulled a fast one....has yet to serve a day in the slammer and it was his CFOs that took the fall. That guy even became a minister!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next