ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I've been duped! HELP! what do I do now?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

I received an e-mail saying that I was accepted into this secretshopper program and being in the financial situation that I am, I gave him my home address. Within a couple of days they sent me an envelope containing a USPS money order for $975 and instructions. I actually followed the instructions and went and cashed the money order at my local bank, I deposited $150 and cashed the rest out. With money-in-hand I went to Walmart and spent $50 and then took the rest and wired it via moneygram. The USPS money order looked absolutely authentic and the fact that I turned it into cash reinforced my belief. This happened just this past Monday (Oct 8 2012).

Today I received not one but FOUR more of the same type of money orders and before I even got suspicious I went and cashed two of them at my bank, this time I deposited $300 per the instructions but there was some trouble with the teller, she was having trouble verifying the money order but eventually finished the transaction. During the trouble she was explaining that the USPS money order is the most fraudulent of all the transfers which flipped a switch in my head and I started to get suspicious and now after some research I am convinced I've fell prey to a scam.

So what the heck happens now? Will these money orders eventually "bounce" and will I be responsible for the lost money? I've already sent the cash out! They were not checks but I did sign the back of the money orders to cash them. I am now extremely concerned as I barely make ends-meet as it is and will not be able to afford to pay this money back!

The addresses provided have all been in the states: first one came from Atalanta, GA and the moneygram was wired to Chapel Hill, NC; the second came from Milton, FL and to be forwarded to Greenville, NC; both to the name of Richard Allman. I still have two of the four money orders and with further inspection and research I've deemed these to be fraudulent, my hat goes off to the counterfeiters because they look absolutely authentic, I digress.

I have limited phone access as my cellphone talk plan is very, very low but tomorrow being a Saturday I will begin blowing the whistle and following the report guides found on this site. In the meantime I've posted here for some consolidation in hopes that someone here will let me know that I won't be responsible for the money and/or shed some light on whether a money order can bounce.

Post subject: Re: I've been duped! HELP! what do I do now?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm 

vapestrong, I am so sorry you were scammed.

Quote:
So what the heck happens now? Will these money orders eventually "bounce" and will I be responsible for the lost money?

Yes, the money orders will bounce and you will be responsibe for the amount of money you received.

Quote:
The addresses provided have all been in the states: first one came from Atalanta, GA and the moneygram was wired to Chapel Hill, NC; the second came from Milton, FL and to be forwarded to Greenville, NC; both to the name of Richard Allman.

Even though the addresses provided have all been in the states that does not mean the money was picked up by the person who you thought you had sent it to. The money can be picked up by anyone, anywhere who knows the "Secret question and the answer".

Quote:
I will begin blowing the whistle and following the report guides found on this site.

If you have not yet done so, call your local police department and ask to speak with someone in the fraud department. Explain to the person what has happened. Ask if they would like the money orders that you have. Also if they do come to your home make sure you give the person copies of all emails along with the money orders you have. Make sure you file a complaint with the IC3. http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx Let the person know that you made a post here.

Best of luck to you.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php