ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Emil Scheringer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 am 

Emil Scheringer's sentencing date is now April 28th.

Note: anyone can call the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York at (212) 805-0136 and check the docket for information on court dates. Emil's case number is 05CR782.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:17 pm 

Want to know if you could possibly be a Nigerian scammer as well? Well, here are the signs:

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU COULD BE A NIGERIAN SCAMMER?

1. YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS.

2. You refuse to use spell check and think that Courier is the only font in the world.

3. You hate Americans.

4. You confuse American last names with first name. Ex. Smith Adam or Williams Brian

5. When someone asks you for a picture, you look for the nearest magazine.

7. You always put DR. in front of your name, no matter what the situation. Even if you are not a doctor.

8. You become extremely angry when you catch someone lying, even though everthing about you and what you are doing is a lie.

9. You have trouble keeping your lies straight.

11. You are a Prince or a King.

12. Your father or husband was a Nigerian General.

13. The new President of Nigeria is seeking vengence on your family because your father or husband confirmed a life prison sentence on him when he was in charge.

14. People around you tend to get assassinated, poisoned, or killed in a plane crash.

15. You write in the most contrived, archaic, and atrocious English.

16. You use inappropriate CLICHES (e.g. "gave up the ghost" for a supposedly sad event).

17. You try to capitalize off human misery (e.g. mutilations in Sierra Leone, the September 11

18. You have $25-$100 million dollars just laying aroundatrocity, etc

19. You address everyone as "friend."

20. Everything is "confidential."

21. You are a prestigious International Banker and you have a Yahoo or Hotmail email address. Even if you are trying to be secretive, the best you can come up with is a yahoo email address because you aren't smart enough to log into register.com and register a fake domain name.

22. You are an ex-general who got converted to Christianity and now wants to make amends to God by sending a stranger the $ 25 million you stole from your country.

23. You are the wife of the deceased state employee whose husband stole all this $11, 000,000. but got converted to Christianity before his death and wants you to "invest it all in Christian work in the US to make amends for his sins against God."

26. A contract was over invoiced/overcharged by $25 million and the money is now "floating" in a suspense account at the Central Bank of Nigeria under your sole control.

27. You have resolved to share 35% of your fortune with a complete stranger for taking absolutely no risk whatsoever.

28. You are The Chairman in charge of Minting and Printing at Central Bank of Nigeria and you control the Nigeria Remittance Office. Not only can you supply any document needed to prove these funds exist, you can also print any document needed to authorise release of the funds to a complete stranger.

29. All you require to make someone rich is YOUR NAME, COMPANY`S NAME, ADDRESS , TELEFAX NUMBER. YOUR BANK NAME ,ADDRESS, TELEFAX NUMBER. YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER AND BENEFICIARY NAME.

30. You have allocated 5% for expenses.

31. You are a high official at Nigerian Petroleum holding on to millions in over-billings.

33. You have a motorcycle for sale on EBAY for an extremely low price and your will to ship it for free for a small deposit of $2000.

34. By some strange coincidence You and your trusted barrister and/or other associate always read and write your emails mere minutes apart on the same computer.

35. You are a destitute political refugee living in a camp on the boarder of some country, but you still manage the daily trip to a cyber cafe in Logos, Nigeria in order to check your email.

36. When you get caught trying to scam someone, you use the "I'm doing this because the white man robbed me and made us Africans slaves" excuse. Even though you have no idea of the ethnicity of the person you are robbing, disregarding the possibility that you could be stealing from someone who has African ancestry.

38. Monitor emails rather than read them.

40. Need money urgently so your child can have an vital operation tomorrow, for weeks.

41. Work for a African bank and can rip them off with just a USA bank account and $200.

42. Ask a stranger to help you secretly rip off a bank etc.

43. Send your photo to someone you are defrauding, while breaking the laws of your country.

44. These people want me to believe that they work in a classy bank or the government, but... if they were, why would they be sending me e-mail from a Hotmail or Yahoo! address? That's nothing at all like what it's like in real life! Regular banks buy domains, normally in the country they're from too - so, you might be a Nigerian 419 scammer if the bank you work in is using Hotmail addresses.

Courtesy of ebolamonkeyman over at http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 pm 

Thanks for the cheat-sheet Macs. Many of the items listed ring awfully true in the Scheringer case. For example, how many so-called "Barristers" have Scheringer and Gowing promoted over the years? There was Jejelola, Kuku, Williams, Jones, etc.....just to name a few. (See item # 25).

And let's see........who amongst the many foreign contacts that Scheringer and Gowing purport to be dealing with are NOT a "Dr." of some sort? Far too many to name. (See item # 7).

Other characteristics that should sound familiar to anyone involved in the Scheringer/Gowing scam are # 2, 6 (can you say Citibank--Lagos, Standard Charter, UBS, etc, etc !!!), 8, 9, and 14 (how many times has Scheringer or Gowing told someone that "so-and-so was attacked"?)

But I have to say that item # 44 is probably the best example of how ridiculous the scam is that Scheringer and Gowing have been perpetrating for years. Of the countless banks and governmental agencies with whom Scheringer and Gowing have claimed to be dealing with for so many years, why is it that NOT A SINGLE ONE of them has ever had an email address that can be verified as real? They are always some sort of free-mail. Priceless!

Thanks again Macs for showing us all how silly and simple the Scheringer/Gowing scam really is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 pm 

It's my pleasure. I love shining a light on these frauds and trying to disrupt these SOBs.

My aunt got caught up with one of the scams and wound up losing more money that I knew she had. She actually got into a relationship with a local guy who was hooked on this nonsense. Despite her better judgement, she sent tens of thousands of dollars to people in other countries who she never knew. Even when the money she sent was rejected--from what I understand, Western Union tries to combat this fraud by blacklisting certain names--she would willingly re-send the money to whatever new name her boyfriend provided next. Needless to say, the money never came back and now she likes to say that calling her an idiot is an insult to idiots!

My aunt is obviously embarrased by her foolish behavior but she is pleased that I use her story to help others. I occasionally give talks on fraud prevention and always tell one of her many unbelievable tales. For example, on a number of occasions my aunt was told that she had to re-send money to the same person in Nigeria or London because someone else there had picked up the cash (ie. stole) from Western Union and absconded with the money. On at least 3 other occasions she was told that she had to re-send the money because the receiver had been attacked after picking up the cash and the money was again stolen. I know, who could be so gullible?

As I see it, my aunt was victimized in this case as much because she was greedy (she was expecting to triple her money in a week or two) as because she was in love with a fellow-idiot whose judgement she initially trusted.

In retrospect, however, she only blames herself because she realizes that the hair was always standing up on the back of her neck for a reason.

As for her EX-boyfriend, he is sitting in a large tub of hot water because once my aunt wised-up and kicked him to the curb, he found other "girlfriends" to support his habit of sending money around the world for no good reason and some of them are now accusing him of ripping them off.

If you want to increase your wealth, get a job and save your money. There is no such thing a free lunch........... especially if the cuisine is West African.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 am 

Jeffrey Leland Griggs (Jeff Griggs) has worked with Emil Scheringer on this scam for many years. He is scheduled to go on trial for a separate crime, long-term non-payment of child support. Here are the details:

This is a felony charge for a federal crime. The trial is scheduled to start at 9:00 on May 3rd in Des Moines, Iowa in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa. Judge Ronald E. Longstaff is the judge. This is to be a jury trial. This trial has been rescheduled a number of times but at this moment it is still on the calendar for May 3.

If you go to the website and search "Griggs" you will be taken to a link; click on that link and more details show up. Here's the court's website link:

http://www.iasd.uscourts.gov/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm 

I heard that the sentencing of Scheringer and Gowing that had been scheduled for April 28 has been postponed again. I was not provided with a new date but I'm told that the delay was again caused by scheduling conflicts.

I've also heard that the family and friends of Scheringer and Gowing are STILL helping them to raise money for this scam under the pretense that the money is being used to pay lawyers who are working on behalf of Scheringer and Gowing.

Here's a newsflash for anyone who has been asked to "contribute" to this cause.......Scheringer and Gowing have been defended by government appointed attorneys throughout this case. In other words, they have been provided with FREE LEGAL COUNSEL for the past 3 or 4 years(actually, the attorneys are free to these two felons but are PAID FOR BY TAXPAYERS who actually have real jobs)

If Scheringer and Gowing could afford to pay for their own attorneys then they should've told the government about that years ago and saved the taxpayers a bundle of dough. They are still represented by FREE LEGAL COUNSEL so if anyone is asked to help these two felons pay for an attorney now, they are being misled.

I know that I sound like a broken record in trying to dissuade the general public from pouring more money into this scam, but Scheringer and Gowing are equally determined to CONTINUE TO SCAM OTHERS by continuing to solicit funds for this nonsense.

If only the enablers (Scheringer's son and Gowing's lover in Florida) would stop helping these two felons commit additional crimes from prison, the financial devastation that these two felons have caused might come to an end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm 

Here's the latest info...........straight from the U.S. Attorney's Office. Scheringer was in court today to ask for a new (FREE) attorney because he is dissatisfied with his current (FREE) attorney. The judge honored the request and Scheringer is now currently causing taxpayers to pay for 2 FREE ATTORNEYS.

The judge scheduled another court conference with Scheringer and his 2 FREE ATTORNEYS for June 1, 2010. The purpose of this next hearing, as I understand it, is to find out if Scheringer is satisfied with either of his FREE ATTORNEYS. Depending on what Scheringer communicates to the judge at that time, the case may proceed to sentencing. Please know that this hearing lasted less than 5 minutes and there was absolutely NO CONVERSATION about the case against Scheringer and Gowing being dismissed or the convictions being vacated. Also, no family members, diplomats, ambassadors, dignitaries, politicians, foreign barristers, secret agents, or grand poohbahs showed up on behalf of Scheringer. He only had his 2 FREE ATTORNEYS standing beside him.

Gowing's sentencing has been re-scheduled for July 8, 2010. Scheringer's sentencing date will be announced after the June 1 conference. Both of these felons are currently residing at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York, NY in case any diplomats, ambassadors, dignitaries, etc want to pay them a visit.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:10 pm 

I just heard that the Griggs trial in Iowa has been put off until June 1, 2010. Has anyone heard from Griggs lately?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm 

Hardknocks, thanks for keeping us up-to-date on Scheringer and Griggs. We appreciate it. These endless postponements are frustrating, but especially so when we don't hear anything and don't know what's happening. While my family has figured out how to check on Griggs's trial date through the Southern District of Iowa website, we only get Scheringer updates through you on this website. So, thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:22 am 

According to the PACER system, Jeff Griggs' trial has been delayed until June 28, 2010.

Additionally, the sentencing of Emil Scheringer has been put off until early November 2010 because his new FREE attorney asked the judge to put off the sentencing until October. The judge obliged and set the date for the following month. This means another five months in the luxurious MCC in NY for Emil. He'll have already served about 17 months by the time he's sentenced.

As a reminder to anyone who has recently been asked to give money to Scheringer, Gowing or ANYONE associated with them in connection with Scheringer's bogus business ventures........DON'T DO IT!!! Please read the prior posts on this site for more information.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:00 am 

[quote="hardknocks419"]According to the PACER system, Jeff Griggs' trial has been delayed until June 28, 2010.

Additionally, the sentencing of Emil Scheringer has been put off until early November 2010

Does that also mean Gowing's sentencing has been adjourned until November?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 pm 

Delmer Gowing's sentencing has been delayed again, at the request of his court appointed (FREE) attorney. The new date is August 3, 2010.

Emil Scheringer's sentencing date is now November 9, 2010.

As for Scheringer's long-time sidekick, Jeff Griggs, he recently pled guilty in federal court to unrelated charges and is due to be sentenced there (Iowa) in late September 2010.

For the umteenth time, please do NOT send money to anyone at the direction of Scheringer, Gowing, or any of their representatives until you have spoken to either the case agent in this matter (Richard Cinnamo 516-433-0952) or one of the prosecutors (Seetha Ramachandran--212-637-5246; Lee Renzin--212-637-2723)

Scheringer and Gowing have been convicted by a jury in this case for defrauding hundreds of individuals out of millions of dollars over a long period of time. Please don't become another victim in this case. If you have already lost money due to Scheringer/Gowing, please cut your losses and stop sending money out at their direction.

Lastly, if you have information about the identities of co-conspirators who may still be working with Scheringer and Gowing, please call one of the telephone numbers listed above. I've spoken with the prosecutors in this case and they said that this is an on-going investigation. The prosecutors are seeking the names of those who have received money--that was transferred at the behest of Scheringer or Gowing--since September 2009 as well as information concerning bank accounts into which victim money has flowed over the past 9-10 months.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm 

Here's an update on the sentencing of Delmer Gowing. Gowing was in court today, with his FREE attorney, ready to be sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Daniels. Before the process began, it was announced that the U.S. Probation Department had made some minor changes to its Pre-Sentence Report (PSR). When the judge found out that Gowing had not had the opportunity to review the new PSR with his attorney, word for word, he granted Gowing's request that the sentencing be postponed. As a result, Gowing is now scheduled to be sentenced on September 7, 2010.

Please know that this delay was requested by Gowing and that there was absolutely no discussion about this case being dismissed or Gowing being granted a pardon. If you are being told by Gowing, Scheringer, or any of their lovers, family members, or associates that their release from prison is imminent, you are being misled. And if you are aware that money is still being sent to third parties at the direction of Gowing, Scheringer, or any of their co-conspirators, you should be calling the U.S. Attorney's Office in NY at 212-637-2723 (Lee Renzin) or 212-637-2546 (Seetha Ramachandran) immediately because you are witnessing another criminal act.

In my opinion, it's far less stressful to call the government to report evidence of a crime than it is to have them knock on your door seeking that evidence because you never know when that knock is coming.

Stop the madness. See something, say something. If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem.

HK419

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:22 pm 

Thanks much, hardknocks. The information you give us so faithfully is a real help.

Post subject: Sentencing of Delmer Gowing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:28 pm 

Hold on to your hats people but Delmer Gowing delayed the inevitable yet again today when the judge granted his latest request to postpone his sentencing hearing.

Gowing, who apparently wrote a letter directly to the judge requesting yet another delay, will most likely be sentenced on October 6, 2010. In fact, Judge Daniels told him to his face that this is the last time that he will adjourn the sentencing. According to the letter that Gowing authored, there were several nonsensical reasons for his request.

I suppose that the sentencing is merely a formality anyway since the already-convicted Gowing is already in jail, where he will likely remain for many years once the hearing is concluded.

In the meantime, Judge Daniels did remind the government that is has the opportunity to bring additional charges against Gowing and/or his co-conspirators if the government feels it can prove that Gowing, et al, have committed additional crimes over the past 12 months.

Although the sound of a cell-door locking behind them hasn't discouraged Gowing and Scheringer from continuing their scam, perhaps it might be just the motivation that their co-conspirators need to quit this nonsense.

If this news doesn't scare them straight, I don't know what will.

HK419

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next