ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: terrified of arrest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:37 am 

Howdy all. I feel like the stupidest human being on the planet. I fell for a phishing scam and gave them everything. Chapter and verse. That's the bad news.

Good news is I realized I was incredibly stupid approximately eight minutes (if that long) after I hit the send button. Within ninety minutes I had locked down every penny in each bank account and had new account numbers and passwords; I had every single credit card account changed (in both my and my wife's accounts) and new passwords protecting each card, and had 90 day fraud alerts (which I intend to renew every 90 days) posted on all three credit reporting services. Our phone service is also now password protected. Also spoke with the Federal Identity Theft Hotline. Credit reports are being monitored daily from all three reporting services. Firewall installed on my computer to prevent someone getting in.

I mean to tell you, I moved like greased lightning.

I called driver's license bureau and Social Security. Social told me that the number you're born with is the number that you die with. Driver's license bureau told me that I could not get number changed unless I was an actual victim, and because I moved so fast chances of that were not high. Police didn't take a report because no fraud had taken place; they told me same thing that everyone else did in that because I moved so fast chances of someone hammering me were slim.

However, what terrifies me is the thought of some scumbag piece of shazbatt getting hold of my information and committing a crime which causes a warrant for their arrest. I get stopped for a traffic violation and *poof* my name comes up with an outstanding warrant and off to jail I go. This happened to a soldier home from Iraq and was highlighted in today's newspaper. He got it straightened out, but spent nine hours in jail in the meantime.

I've seen some websites that will perform warrant searches (for around fifty bucks or so). Anyone have experience with these types of websites? Are there any alternatives?

My lawyer tells me to relax; the physical description on the license will help deter the problem. (My fingerprints are on file with numerous federal agencies due to previous background security checks so that would also help.) He also told me that the information is out there and if anyone wanted it, they could have already gotten it. Since I've already taken the steps to protect ourselves (according to him) I'm one step ahead of the game.

However, sleep has not come easy since my stupidity manifested itself.

Any thoughts to help me sleep at night?

Thanks

M.

Post subject: Re: terrified of arrest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

plotz01 wrote:
My lawyer tells me to relax; the physical description on the license will help deter the problem. (My fingerprints are on file with numerous federal agencies due to previous background security checks so that would also help.) He also told me that the information is out there and if anyone wanted it, they could have already gotten it. Since I've already taken the steps to protect ourselves (according to him) I'm one step ahead of the game.

I have to agree with your lawyer . . . you have done everything that you should to protect yourself.

If you are like me, even knowing all of this, you will still worry, but some of us just worry more than others.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 am 

About the only thing you can do at this point is to stay watchful over your credit record and dispute anything that is not yours should it begin to show accounts you know you had nothing to do with.

You can also notify :

DMV tell them your identity has been stolen ask for it to be made a matter of record. ( some will and some wont do this)

IRS- let them know your identity has been compromised and ask that your file be noted that you are an id theft victim.

Social Security Administration- Again ask that it be placed on your records that you are an ID theft victim.

Make a police report to this affect, let the officers know you are doing this to make it a matter of record that you are an ID theft victim, get a case number from them. ( some may not want to do this , stand your ground you have a right to make a report).

Some banks and credit card companies offer credit watch services to customers, you may want to see if this is a service offered with your bank or credit card company. Any change to your report you get an updated credit report and can dispute items you are suspicious of or know are not yours.

Because you have answered a phishing email you need to do a full scan of your computer for malware, spyware, trojans, other viruses, rats etc. many of these emails have viruses embedded in them, nowdays they are placing such viruses in the subject lines away from the body where scanners would pick it up.

past these things there really is little you can do unless you find something suspicious.