There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay Scam re: Agile Gmbh - a german Company
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:06 pm 

re: ebay Scam with Agile Gmbh - a German company

I was contacted by a person claiming to be a past customer of my online website, however she stated she bought the item from me on eBay...which raised a red flag immediately since I do not sell on eBay. Her letter reads:

Hello ,
This is Lisa Schnaidt, we recently were involved in trasaction on Ebay.
I also work part time as the US affiliate of a German company - AgileGmbH, and I'm writing you because I need an Ebay member, with permanent Internet access, to fill in for me for about five weeks, while I'm on vacation.

If your schedule allows you to work one hour a day - weekdays only, and if you could use an extra income (7.5% of the transactions) please let me know.

Sincerely,
Lisa
950 Tornell,
Ripon, CA 95366
United States

I replied asking for more info:

I don't sell on eBay...you ordered these from our website.
I do have a friend who sells on eBay that may be interested....can you tell me much more about what this job entails, please ?

The imposter replied:

I'm leaving on Wednesday, the 3th of December, and I will return on the the 10th of January. If this should not interfere with your schedule, this is what the job entails:

The distribution company that I work for - Agile GmbH - has extended its retail business (electronic products distribution) in the US market and like most of the European merchants, Agile uses an affiliate payment processor for US orders that are paid with local bank wire.

Basically, here is what I have to do for each order: First I am notified when they receive an order and the customer chooses to pay with local bank wire transfer - the amount and date of
the payment. After the buyer has completed the payment to my account, I have to confirm the receipt so Agile can ship the product.

Then, after the payment has cleared, I keep the 7.5% (my commission) and I send the amount due to Agile (total order amount minus 7.5%) by postal Money Order.

Of course, you will keep the entire commission for the period that I will be away, should be about $500 per week, depending on the company sales. If you think you can handle it I can ask Mr. Schneider - the manager, to send you full instructions.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience, I want to settle this before I leave.

Thank you
````````````

I contacted my REAL customer and she is in the process of contacting her local police department, yahoo (since this person set up a yahoo account using her name) and also eBay.

I searched your posts and found some similar back in the year 2005...but nothing recently!
So I wanted ot make everyone aware that it's going on again.

I found it very dishearteneind when I phoned the Crime Stoppers and the City of Manteca Police Department (my REAL customer's town) and was told "until a crime has been committed we can't do anything!"

How are we supposed to catch these theiving scammers if law enforcement won't help us!!??

Post subject: Re: eBay Scam re: Agile Gmbh - a german Company
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

waxwizard wrote:
How are we supposed to catch these theiving scammers if law enforcement won't help us!!??

It is not really that they will not help us, but that they cannot. The scammers are in another country so it would have to be the law enforcement in THAT country who would have to do something about it.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 am 

Hi,

I too have been contacted by these people. They used the name of a purchaser who purchased from me via paypal and created an email address very similar to the purchasers.
The letter they wrote is exactly the same as the ones posted here just using different names.
I have contacted the purchaser to let her know and will contact paypal.
How in the world can ppl access the names of your purchasers? this is terrible!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:11 am 

I called my PayPal Rep and unfortunately, I got nowhere! Their attitiude was just like the Crime Stoppers I called in the town where my REAL customer lives...."until a crime has actually been committed we can't do anything..."

I even pointed out to PayPal that the ONLY place this imposter could have gotten the subject line for her initial email to me was from the Notification of Payment that PayPal sends out when a payment is made at their website. They didn't really want to hear me suggest a breach of security at PayPal !!

My customer also contacted PayPal and got nowhere....AND she filed a complaint with her local Police Department and Yahoo, since the imposter used her name to set up a yahoo email account using the same letters before the @ ---so far she's heard nothing and it's been a few weeks.

So the scammers have the lead and I suppose all we can do is to educate ourselves and beware.