There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TOO Scary!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 pm 

Hello All!

New to the boards and just wanted to share my similar story that so many others have found themselves in. I recently decided that I would sell my current desktop and purchase a macbook. I thought since they go for 2700 plus I would check out Craigslist :shock:

I found a "too good to be true" post in which a Macbook pro fully upgraded was going for 1100 dollars. The seller responded the next day with some information explaining he just moved from the major city near me and was now going to school in the UK. I thought this was a tad strange but decided to keep an open convo going through emails which we covered all the reasons why he was selling the laptop and the condition.

It reached the point that he "already took the liberty" of researching a SAFE way to ship and ensure neither of the parties get burned. He would use Royal Mail which was based out of the UK explaining it was like UPS, Fedex , or DHL. As most of you know how the rest goes I would send the money to the Holder at the mail service which upon receiving the laptop and my 5 days of inspection were up would he then be paid.

I decided that this just seemed waaaay too good to be true and began just some simple googling of Royal mail scams/craigslist and found this godsend of a website. Thanks to you all who have shared your stories good or bad have saved me the heart ache of this scam.

Again I apologize for such a long post but I still feel sooo stupid for getting baited into this scam as I have always been a step ahead of such things. This to me was very unexpected as I have never used craigslist before and NEVER heard of such a well crafted scam like this. Stupid as it sounds I know but in the end they say if it is too good to be true.....steer clear.

Excellent job to those who started and maintain this website. If only there were more people out there like the ones on this board who could help spread the word for such false and unjust acts to us hardworking people :)

Post subject: Re: TOO Scary!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 am 
Gold Member

I am glad you didn't lose any money to the scam. Thank you for sharing your story. Would you be willing to post the info on the scammer (i.e. email address used, name given, etc) so if people do a search by any of the scammer info they will find this site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 pm 

Would love to share the info!
Michael Barrett >>>> georgww3@live.com
Long winded but here goes....
Craigs List item
* 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo 17" High-Resolution Anti-glare (Matte) LCD (1920 x 1200)
* 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) with additional 4GB (2gbx2) RAM included
* 200GB @7200rpm hard drive
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM
* I-Sight video camera built-in
* Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+-RW/CD-RW)
* ExpressCard/34 slot; Firewire 400/800
* 3 USB ports; DVI port & DVI to VGA adapter
* AirPort Extreme; built-in Ethernet; Bluetooth; Backlit Keyboard
* Mac OS X Leopard with discs
* power cable & extension cord, remote control
* 1-year Extended Warranty from Apple
In response to my first email

Hello,

I still have the laptop. But the thing is that I'm in the U.K. for my school (I have the laptop with me).
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what
we are after.I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a worldwide delivery company called Royal mail. Royal mail is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will be able to check the laptop before I receive the payment.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop right away.
Let me know what you think.

Have a nice day!

Michael Barrett
66, Princes Court, 6 Croxteth Rd
Liverpool,Merseyside
L8 3UJ
United Kingdom

Second response after follow up email I sent..
The laptop is new in box and come with 1 year warranty.I have received the laptop as a gift and i want to sell it because i'm not an APPLE fan.
We will use Royal Mail for our safety ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
The process works like this, I will go at Royal Mail's office and let the package in their possession and start the process, they will notify you about this and send you an email with an invoice with the tracking number and the instruction on how to complete the transaction. You'll have to send them the payment for the item, after your transfer is verified the package will be on his way to your address, You'll have 5 days inspection period from the moment you have the package. If you're satisfied with the purchase you can instruct them to release the funds to me.If not you can return the item and Royal Mail will make a full refund.
So if you want to make this happen please provide me your full name and shipping address. I will support the shipping and handling cost.

~ Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Xcode Developer Tools)
~ iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

Michael Barrett
66, Princes Court, 6 Croxteth Rd,
Liverpool,
Merseyside
L8 3UJ
44 20 3014 7453

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 am 
Gold Member

Thank you for posting the scammer's info, it really does help people out because a lot of people just search by name or email address and now if they do that they will be led here, hopefully it's before they are out money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 am 

Thanks for sharing that scammer's info. This is really very useful info for peoples. You done a good job man. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 am 

Hi Tdizzle,
It was your luck who saved you from scam.
It will be nice of you to share not only knowledge but also pointing them.
It will surely helps people to get safe from scam.