Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:03 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Wise move NOT cashing them! :)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:32 pm 

Good Job not getting scammed!!!!! Thanks for the warning for others as well.

Post subject: UK scheme
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:17 pm 
oh my gosh oh my gosh, roommates.com ellybeauty_face is a scheme, she said she was a missionary wanted to send money orders from UK i would keep first month rent, send rest back. my boyfriend on th other side of town was selling his car to a guy who was oing to send him some money order from Uk and wanted him to forward the rest to china, he caught immediately and warned me. I was almost falling for it. be careful people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:28 pm 

Kudos to your friend for keeping your butt out of the fire so to speak and for you listening and not getting involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:42 am 
Man you are so lucky!

I got scammed for $2,000 from this one guy my sister got an email from roommates.com. What happened was that this guy name "Tunde Carew" was coming to the US from Nigeria for some business trip for three months. My sister isnt particularly too computer savy or anything so she responded back saying that we are also interested. He sent a counterfeit check (I never got to see the check before my dad went to cash it but when i did see it when it bounced, it was black and white like a really bad copy of it. I am surprised that the bank even acceppted it.) from american express from britain somewhere for $3,000. My father went to Wachovia bank and tried to cash it. The bank immediately put $3,000 into my dads account and told him to wait 5 days for the check to clear. On the fifth day my father went at around 12pm and the manager told my father that the check had cleared, don't worry about it since its been 5 days and the $3,000 that they deposited on day one was still in the account. Hearing that my father went to western union, and sent out $2,000 to the guys address in Nigeria. The funds were held for 4 days (we found out on the 4th day) because my father's name was mohammed so he had to fax his drivers liscense to the western union place to get approved.

My dad initially went through all of these efforts because he didn't want the guy in nigeria being screwed out of his money. Well 3 more days later (a week later after we found out that the money was OK from the manager at Wachovia) we get a letter from Wachovia saying the check is a counterfeit and they removed the $3,000 from the account! What the hell!

My father specifically asked the manager twice if the check was cleared and the lady just responded yes it is, don't worry. So my dad went to t he bank and told them what had happened but the manager simply said that it was still in your account at the time you were here. Later that day the amount was denied about 2 hours later! They couldn't phone us or anything, they sent a letter through snail mail that took an amazingly long time for the check to get back to us.

So when we found out we were screwed. Nothing we could do at all. No trace of the guy, theres no use emailing him or anything. Bastard got lucky and my family lost $2,000.

Well that was my story, i just hope no one has to ever deal with that crap again.

btw my situation happened about 4 months ago

Post subject: Roommates.com Scam
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:12 pm 
I have just been victimized by a scam perpetrated on roommmates.com. My situation is a bit different than many other scams from this site. My new roommate was not in Nigeria, but claimed to be a 28 year old female nurse in England, who was advancing her studies and going to school at UCCS for one year. We corresponded for six weeks. She told me all about her five year old daughter who would be left with her mum and dad and how she would miss her greatly. She asked if I would please furnish the basement apartment for her as she would not be able to ship furniture, etc. She claimed her employer would be paying the monthly rent since they were sponsoring her schooling here. I received a valid check which was delivered through a check company and came from a valid bank out of Florida. Unfortunately, the check was written for $2200.00 more than what we had arranged. When I contacted her, she informed me that it was a mistake on the part of her employer and that they were supposed to allocate funds for her airline ticket, but in a mishap, sent the full amount to me. She told me to go ahead and cash the check and she would make arrangements for her ticket another way. My bank (US Bank) asked if I would be receiving these checks every month, I replied yes. They then stated that they would need to put a hold on the check for five days, and when the check clears, the funds will be available. She then stated that in the future, they will not need to hold the checks because they can verify the checks are good. Two days later, Venus Jones (roommate) asked me if I could send the remaining funds to her travel agent to purchase the ticket. I said no. The check had not cleared the bank and I cannot send it until it does. After the five day hold, the funds became available, indicating that the check cleared. I withdrew $2350.00 and sent them to her via Western Union. Two days later, I was informed by my bank that the check was returned and my account had a negative balance of $2200.00. The bank denies all responsibility. I then notified roommates.com about this, and was told that they are aware this person has scammed people and removed them from the site three days after their initial posting. IF THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS, AND REMOVED THEM FROM THE SITE, WHY DID THEY NOT SEND A GENERIC EMAIL TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAD BEEN CONTACTED BY THE SCAMMERS? I believe roommates.com has an obligation to report criminal activity to the potential victims once they have been made aware that a crime is being committed. I also feel the banks have a responsibility to verify funds prior to releasing those funds, especially after holding them for five days. At the very least, they should provide a disclaimer informing the customers that although a hold is released, that doesn't guarantee that funds have cleared. I have reported this to the authorities, but it seems there is nothing anyone can do. I am a single, disabled mother of two and full time student. I live on a small disability pension. This loss has destroyed me. There should be programs available to aid victims both emotionally and financially.

Post subject: Roommates.com New London Scam
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:03 pm 
Hello everyone,
My name is T I live in the Detroit area. I just wanna share my experience with others. Bottom line I think I am about to get scammed :oops: but I will not let them do that to me, may be 'cause I'm smart, may be 'cause I am lucky, may be 'cause of this forum. Anyhow, long story short; I have an ad on roommates.com since I am looking for a roommate. Among the emails I got one from England. A dark skin very nice lady emailed me saying that she is interested in renting out the room. Finally we agreed. She is supposedly coming to Detroit for a month of vacation. C'mon no one would come to Detroit for a month of vacation, may be Miami, Virginia Beach, NY,... but not Motown. Don't take me wrong, even though there are a lot of nice places in Metro area of Det, but, I would not think a tourist would spend a whole month here. Anyways, I felt some was fishy. The lady said she would send me a payment and I have to return the rest of it. I agreed I did not receive anything yet. But, she asked me to keep her updated if I receive payment. Also, today another lady presumably from London sent me an email (I even chatted with her on Yahoo) she is asking me about the room... she said she is coming to work and want to start her new life in the US here. So far I am playing along just for the fun of it. I assume they will send me a fat but fake check to cash and send them the rest. I'll end up telling them you've been punked :twisted: Since I felt the whole story is fishy I did a research online and got this web site which assured me more that I am about to be scammed but no damages will be made hopefully. They are wasting their time and they will waste postage fees soon. So, since Roommates.com Nigerian scam has been revealed to everyone this evil people are trying to switch mask saying that they are from London. Be on the watch if this happens to you ask for western union transaction or moneygram with the exact amount no extras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:32 am 
Your right who would want to come to Detroit/Berlin1945 . A real nice place to vacation if your in to the ww2 bombed out look . I live just outside the dump called Detroit what a pit . :lol:

Post subject: just received the check
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:35 pm 
I just received a check a big one $3,800. I never received such big check in my whole life. I was not excited at all since I am %100 sure it is not good. I just asked for $350.00 for the room I have for rent. The scammer(s) is/are trying to have me send the difference of the money back. I am not gonna send them crap. Again this is called The Nigerian Counterfeit Check Fraud: Overpayment Fraud
http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Niger ... eck_fraud/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:55 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Information about this is also listed at our site

http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/counterfeit_cashier's_check.htm

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Thank God for the internet....most times
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:22 pm 
I've been corresponding with a suppossed female from the UK who was a missionary in Africa. She sent her pic and was pretty hot. Why not, I though. I sent email back and didn't get response for a week. I replied back "still looking?". Whoever it was running the scam replied yes and included another "hooker-ish" pic. I thought, "wait a second, this can't be true". I check Google for "roommate scams" and found this site.
Thanks for all the stories. It will protect others that do some checking too.

Post subject: Warning
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:25 am 
I am sick of my time being wasted by scam artist on roommates.com. I writie to the company and have had not responses. Has anyone else had a bad experiences.

Post subject: Rose Phillips Nigerian Roomate Scam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:31 pm 
:shock:

The following is a sample of a BS email I got from "rose phillips" <rosyphillips1622@yahoo.com> I responded by saying she was foolish with her money and that she could pay when she got here. She also added a "picture" of herself <BS>

From "ROSE" <Supposedly>

Thanks so much for responding.I must confess i am quite comfortable with the cost and it is ok by me .I will like to make the first month payment ahead of my arrival and the subsequent month will be effected thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months. So i will call my boss to see how you'll get a money order of $5600 from which I will like you to deduct the fee for my room and you will help me send down the balance through western union to a charity home in west africa in care of children with heart related diseases,orphans and the older citizens and the less previledged.I have been committed to them for three years now this is a way of saying I will never forget them wherever life takes me.....and part of the money would be for my flight ticket to The states.I should be arriving next week all things being Equal
if this arrangement is okay by you, I will need your full name phone number and address so as to prepare the money order. I will also like to know the nearest airport to my house.I will also like to know if you will be available to come pick me up at the airport and show me around or if I should make alternative arrangement.
I am looking forward to hear from you soon.
Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

Post subject: Scam Alert
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:17 pm 
I know how you guys feel. I just receved $5600 in cashier's checks from a "model" in London. The checks came from a Walmart in Tennessee. How does a model from London get cashier's checks from Tennessee? I was alerted to this scam about 6 weeks ago. Since then I have just been toying with this person, just to see how much informtion I could get out of her. Well the truth is I havn't been able to get much. She's always very vague when I ask her questions. The whole thing sounded too good to be true. "Mary Jackson" wrote to me very interested in the room. She did not want to know any personal information about me she was just going to send me all this money. HELLO! What if I kept it! Who the hell sends a total stranger that much money!

Post subject: absolute scum
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:24 pm 
Hello,
I found this last night because of the goodness of the peoples hearts that took the time to put up this site and post. I put in roommate scams to google and up you came. I just about got got and had it not gone down the way it did I might be sitting in jail now or watching an eviction of my own. I posted on roommates.com to share my house. The man and the model also I saw mentioned also contacted me but then she was gone. He wanted to send $3,500.00 owed to him here by a contractor in the U.S. and then have me take the balance and pay for his airline ticket here with his travel agaency and hold the rest for him till he arrived. I told him that was highly brave of him that that he was lucky he found a decent person. I would do it and not betray him. It didn't arrive when it should.then he wrote and called me witha UPS tracking# and I did check it out and my address was indeed on it but it had not gone out overnight.......it was lost? contact the sender they tell me at ups. I call back to the # the man had provided in the uk and he says he will call his payee in Canada. He had been very upset earlier that week saying his MUM had been hurt in the bombing and was in the hospital but would be fine. Then he calls back after I have found a UPS tracking# to be valid to my residence and not arrived.......and crying, tells me that his mother died of a heart attack from the whole incident....crying tells me he has to make funeral arrangements and can I please send $500.00 in advance and also e-mails me as such. I was very upset but told him I am in no position to do any such thing even if I wanted to I am broke and that is why I am looking for a roomie int he first place. I track and track this order trying to help and spend money calling Europe and it turns out that it was somehting being sent by the FOOD NETWORK! I would have gotten had I been lucky a $2,500.00 cookbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I could figure out how to make beans in a can taste better!
The creep was going to rob me and would have had the money orders found their way. He is now no longer a member of roommates and the phone#is disconnected. This was today! I found this site last night and I thank you that when the hairs went up on the back of my neck you were there for me. Keep on Keepin' on and I am trying to spread the word also. Turns out with UPS that they don't even understand what happened but that it went from Vermont to Georgia and then was supposed to come to my address but dissapeared...............................Watch out!
They don't care WHO THEY DESTROY!!!!!!!!
Dirtbags!
M