ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just tattoo 'sucker' across my forehead....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

MCGal wrote:
I know I need to get legal advice from a lawyer and will get that asap, but what else did you do to resolve this? Thanks!

What state do you live in? I have some legal, media and governement contacts in a few states.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:03 am 

Thanks for any help you can provide, I live in Ohio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Give me some time to go through my "contact list" and I will PM you any info I can.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject: roommates scam foiled
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:30 pm 

I placed an roommate ad on roommates.com and craigslist.com. I received a reply from a guy called himself Jude Festus. He stated he was originally from Bronx NY. He gave me the story about receiving a $3500.00 check from his boss and keeping my rent and deposit and sent the rest to his travel manager. I googled his name and found this site. Thank you all for watching out for us. Im glad i did my homework. This fool actually thought I would want to marry him. He actually had the nerve to call me thru the hearing impaired relay service. Then call me later on my cell phone. That is when I really suspected something. I have blocked his emails and phone number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:35 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

snapper
Glad to hear that you found out it was a scam in time!

Post subject: Scammers coming to Canada
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:03 pm 

Watch out for roommates.com...I got an email from Kate Ravina about an ad I had (read below). It is EXTREMELY similar to the one you have all mentioned below.
Let me know if there's anything I can do.

"Hello Roommie..

Thanks so much for responding to my introductory mail. I am satisfy with the move in cost of the room, and i'll not be able to check out the place until my arrival,Thanks so much for the mail.I like the place and I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place.

Let me tell you more about me.

Name: Kate Ravina, Age: 24, Date of Birth: 10 June 1983 , Height: 156 cm 5' 1.4" , Weight: 55 kg 126 lbs , Country: Ukraine And Grow Up In Haiti, City: Kalush , Eyes: green-blue , Hair: blond straight medium , Education: higher , Religion: Christianity , Marital Status: Single
Kids: No Kids , Languages spoken: English , my annual income is $55.000 USD

My personality traits are: serious, confident, calm, purposeful, persistent, smart, responsible, honest, modest, kind, sociable, sensitive, gentle, cheerful, optimistic, romantic, considered, responsible
I like these kinds of music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
I usually read: classics, novels, newspapers and magazines
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming
I like to go out to/and: cinema, disco, night clubs, parks, meeting with friends
My favorite cuisine: no preferences
I like these physical activities: dancing, swimming, billiard
More about me: serious girl, searches for loved
Age group of a partner: 28-50
My perception of an ideal relationship: Understanding, respect, love.

ALSO

I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. My families lives here in Haiti and i have no friends in Haiti except you lol. I am currently working on contract for my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services here in Haiti and hope to end my current assignment soon .and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.
However, based on your mail i will be making a payment to move in. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months.The things i will be moving in are as follow;
my X5 2005 model rich brown.
suite case containing my books
my 24' JVC PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre, clothes in three luggages, Lap top computer Dell and pieces of furnitures.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Kate"

Post subject: scammed in cambridge
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:05 pm 

FYI - I did not bite for the scam...but I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Just thought you might want to know.

PS. great site!

Post subject: ROOM MATE SCAM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:15 pm 

I was receiving so many scam emails from the uk now im getting them from bahamas. I have an email address to report the ones from the uk. you will have to include the headers when you send them a copy of the email. The email address is fraud.alert@met.police.uk. I wish it was something roomates.com can do. I report each email to roommates.com scam unit and they try to remove them from there. I try to include a copy of the email. I also advertised a room on craigslist.com so watch out from scam there too.

Post subject: Roommate Scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am 

I just got two emails from different people who saw my ad on craigslist and on roommateclick. Both people said they had a masters but they couldnt even type a decent email... first clue. haha. Anyway, I reported them to the site but doubt it will do any good so Ill just post thier "names" in case. Roommateclick was Deborah Foxx or debfoxx on her profile. Craigslist was Vivian Best. They never answered any questions directly and never even saw any pictures of my house but were gung ho on moving in with me. The emails were almost overly professional but had typos and whatnot all over the place. They didnt feel like real people writing emails. Im just glad my bs radar kicked. haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:21 am 

for more information to protect yourself from these types of scams and any scams involving MONEYGRAM go to this website! Educate yourself and protect yourself!

http://www.moneygram.com/ConsumerProtec ... C=US&LC=EN

Post subject: Roommate/rental scam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:35 pm 

I am so glad I found this website. I just put up an rental ad and recieved couple of emails. One of them was a little fishy with offers to send cashiers check for deposit and such. So I decided to google some of the keyterms and voila one of them matched and brought me to this website!! The email I got was a verbatim copy of one of the emails posted here:-)
I am sorry some of the people got hurt here but I wanted to thank you for sharing because I am smarter because of that.

Post subject: Re: Roommates.com Scam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:16 am 

Hillmop, This girl who claimed to venus jones, did she tell you that she was deaf? Does venusjones10@yahoo.com ring a bell? If it does I almost got scammed by the same girl. I had a post on craigslist to do wedding make up. she contacted me through e-mail, ended up sending me a check for 3,600 dollars more than what my services cost. she said that her father in law sent the wrong amount and that she wanted me to western union the rest of the money to her baker for the wedding. I told her that i didn't want to be the one responsible for the money getting there, and i would mail her the check back. She kept forcing the issue, and then i got a call from her sister from an unknown number saying that i needed to mail the cash. when i said no, she hung up on me. I knew something was up, she had originally had told me that the wedding was in NJ and then emailed me with the venue and then said it was in MI. VERY STRANGE!!!! It may be the same girl, she addressed her mother as mum in my email too. Please let me know if the email looks familiar. thanks!

hillmop wrote:
I have just been victimized by a scam perpetrated on roommmates.com. My situation is a bit different than many other scams from this site. My new roommate was not in Nigeria, but claimed to be a 28 year old female nurse in England, who was advancing her studies and going to school at UCCS for one year. We corresponded for six weeks. She told me all about her five year old daughter who would be left with her mum and dad and how she would miss her greatly. She asked if I would please furnish the basement apartment for her as she would not be able to ship furniture, etc. She claimed her employer would be paying the monthly rent since they were sponsoring her schooling here. I received a valid check which was delivered through a check company and came from a valid bank out of Florida. Unfortunately, the check was written for $2200.00 more than what we had arranged. When I contacted her, she informed me that it was a mistake on the part of her employer and that they were supposed to allocate funds for her airline ticket, but in a mishap, sent the full amount to me. She told me to go ahead and cash the check and she would make arrangements for her ticket another way. My bank (US Bank) asked if I would be receiving these checks every month, I replied yes. They then stated that they would need to put a hold on the check for five days, and when the check clears, the funds will be available. She then stated that in the future, they will not need to hold the checks because they can verify the checks are good. Two days later, Venus Jones (roommate) asked me if I could send the remaining funds to her travel agent to purchase the ticket. I said no. The check had not cleared the bank and I cannot send it until it does. After the five day hold, the funds became available, indicating that the check cleared. I withdrew $2350.00 and sent them to her via Western Union. Two days later, I was informed by my bank that the check was returned and my account had a negative balance of $2200.00. The bank denies all responsibility. I then notified roommates.com about this, and was told that they are aware this person has scammed people and removed them from the site three days after their initial posting. IF THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS, AND REMOVED THEM FROM THE SITE, WHY DID THEY NOT SEND A GENERIC EMAIL TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAD BEEN CONTACTED BY THE SCAMMERS? I believe roommates.com has an obligation to report criminal activity to the potential victims once they have been made aware that a crime is being committed. I also feel the banks have a responsibility to verify funds prior to releasing those funds, especially after holding them for five days. At the very least, they should provide a disclaimer informing the customers that although a hold is released, that doesn't guarantee that funds have cleared. I have reported this to the authorities, but it seems there is nothing anyone can do. I am a single, disabled mother of two and full time student. I live on a small disability pension. This loss has destroyed me. There should be programs available to aid victims both emotionally and financially.

Post subject: Re: Roommates.com moneyorder scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:41 am 

wow you guys!! i am sooooo glad i started reading this, too bad that i read it after i had exchange several emails with this scammers. I always had a bad feeling and thought something was not right. After reading this, i am shocked!! i received a check for $4900 yesterday and she tells me the same thing i read on the post. Now i am not sure what i need to do with that check.. i wanan rip it to pieces but at the same time i want her to go what i went through i was freaking out bc i was didnt know why she had sent so much money and all these bad ideas kept coming to my heard. today, when i saw the emial where she said she wanted me to pay for her ticket with that money and expenses i thatnk God i went to google and foudn this wonderful site. Now my quesiton is what i do with the check.

just so you guys know this might be a bit long but i now know i was a fool to fall for this .. but i have never done anything like finding a roommate or anything so i had no clue.. this was me answering to her email asking if i still had a room.

Hi Claudia,

Yes, indeed i still have a room available. I have a 2 bedroom 1bathroom apt, with private garage. The place is located in Ballantyne, the apt is furnished but the room does not have any furniture; it only has an air mattress. The room is an average size room 10.5 x 9.6, it has its own closet; i am sending you a floor plan of the room and the room being rented is the bedroom2/den. I also have more closet space downstairs by the main private entrace if you need it. The apartment complex is in a very safe neighborhood. I will be emailing you pictures of the apt. I need a roomate from now until Sept, the asking rent price per month is $575 which includes utilities.

I am 26, and i work full time for a company MON-FRI. I am an easy going person and i like to hang out with my friends and just have a good time. I am more on the clean/organized side and since i will share the bathroom bc its a 2bedroom 1bathroom apt then i would like to also be able to find a clean person. I am very respectful and i woudl like the same for my roommate to be, respectful , and trustworthy and considerate.

pls let me know if you are interested ,

tks

me.

Reply Forward

claudia stone to me
show details Apr 25 (4 days ago) Reply

Hello to you there (me),I just received your email response right now and i am happy to read from you too.Thanks for. I would have love to come see the room myself but I am not in the state right now.I am very sure you will never regret having me as your roommate.I want to make sure that we go perfectly well as roommates,I am a very dedicated individual who is totally committed to human development, very trustworthy and value relationship above anything..I live by the principle of,"do unto others what you want others to do to you".And because i love it when people are good to me,i always do all in my power to be good,just to get a reciprocate(smiles)

Well about me,i am 26 single female,my dad is actually from Montana, while my mum is from England....I just came down here to run a nursing assignment in England. i plan to get back to states latest by May 5th cos i am thinking of taking another program later on by the late end of this year over there..I am friendly,easy-going and dedicated to my job.I travel a lot with my job and i enjoy meeting people..I am very friendly and quite easy to get along with.I will like to have a roomate who is understanding and also trustworthy.I am not violent and i have good habits.In my leisure hours i read and go to the cinemas too..I really look forward to my coming.

I am willing to rent the from MAY 5th so i'll like to know more about the room.I will like to know more about the total move in cost.....This is my private email address so you should keep me posted this week.Kindly let me know if you can hold the room for me cos i am planing to come back to states latest by the 5th of May cos they will get my flight ticket as soon as i have finished up here.I really look forward to reading your reply too.
Regards.

Claudia

Reply Forward

Me to claudia Stone
show details Apr 25 (3 days ago) Reply

Hi Claudia,

The monthly rent will be $575, there is a deposits of $400 which will be returned upon leaving in sept. All the money will be reimbursed if the room and rest of the living space is in the same state as when you move in. The apt except the room is fully furnished, there is satelite tv and washer and dryer inside the apt. Private garage private entrance.

The total move in cost would be prorated amount when u move in for the month of May plus the $400 deposit. The apt complex does require a mandatory criminal background check which cost $25.

If you are serious about this I would like to at least talk on the phone since you won't be here to meet you in person ahead of time. Do you already have a job ready to have funds to pay for the apt? If I may ask why is the reason you are moving here if your parents are in Montana? Will you have your own car ?

If you are interested in this let me know to send you and email with the written lease apt.

Would like to hear from you pls give me a call to xxx-xxx-xxxx.

me.

Sent from my iPhone
- Show quoted text -

On Apr 25, 2009, at 1:10 PM, claudia stone <claudiastone44@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello to you there (my name),I just received your email response right now and i am happy to read from you too.Thanks for. I would have love to come see the room myself but I am not in the state right now.I am very sure you will never regret having me as your roommate.I want to make sure that we go perfectly well as roommates,I am a very dedicated individual who is totally committed to human development, very trustworthy and value relationship above anything..I live by the principle of,"do unto others what you want others to do to you".And because i love it when people are good to me,i always do all in my power to be good,just to get a reciprocate(smiles)

Well about me,i am 26 single female,my dad is actually from Montana, while my mum is from England....I just came down here to run a nursing assignment in England. i plan to get back to states latest by May 5th cos i am thinking of taking another program later on by the late end of this year over there..I am friendly,easy-going and dedicated to my job.I travel a lot with my job and i enjoy meeting people..I am very friendly and quite easy to get along with.I will like to have a roomate who is understanding and also trustworthy.I am not violent and i have good habits.In my leisure hours i read and go to the cinemas too..I really look forward to my coming.

I am willing to rent the from MAY 5th so i'll like to know more about the room.I will like to know more about the total move in cost.....This is my private email address so you should keep me posted this week.Kindly let me know if you can hold the room for me cos i am planing to come back to states latest by the 5th of May cos they will get my flight ticket as soon as i have finished up here.I really look forward to reading your reply too.
Regards.

Claudia

Reply Forward

claudia stone to me
show details Apr 26 (3 days ago) Reply

Hi there (my name), how are you doing there?I just checked my email again and good to read from you.reat.i think i will go for the room!!!!Oh so the l move in cost would be $975 I think i will settle for the room and that is ok with me,i can sure take care of getting furnitures into the room.

Honestly it will be a great pain if you give out the room to someoneelse cos my roommate membership has expired and i did not bother to upgrade it any longer cos the room at your place will be ok for me,Do you drive?What kind of car will work out best with the weather out there ?Cos i bet i will sure need a good car, so that i can be able to move around with it too.Its such a pity that i can not come down all the way from here right now just to view the room and meet you in person...but i am begging you to hold the room down for me till my arrival back to the states.I know that there should be some roommate papers that i need to see and i can then do all the neccesary paper works in person . I will want my finance officer there in the states to settle with the rent deposit next week...ok so that i will know that the room will be reserved down for me till my arrival on May 1st

Please my accomodation needs is very important right now so i will be ok with the room cos the montly rent fees is ok with me. As for the payment i am okay with the total move in cost and i will ask my financial officer will issue payments to you so that you can hold the room down for me until my arrival.I really want to move in soonest.Pls I will need the following full data from you so that payment can get to you soonest Name, contact address and the Telephone number...(Cell,Office,Home,).I will also like to know the nearest airport to our house.I will also like to know if you will be available to come pick me up at the airport and show me around or if I should make alternative arrangement.I have attached couple of my pics and i hope you will be able to do the same.I am looking forward to hear from you soon.Thank you for your time I really appreciate it..keep in touch

Also Attach my pic

Claudia

Claudia.jpg
52K View Download

Reply Forward

me to claudia
show details Apr 26 (3 days ago) Reply

Hi Claudia,

I have to be honest with you. A couple of weeks i had an email very similar to yours about a girl that was here but had to go visit her uncle in France and couldnt call me nor be here to see the place and she wanted to do everythign by email. She asked me to hold the room and she will send me payments and everything was just very fast. I sent the the electronic lease agreement for her to sign and i never heard back from her. I am a bit hesitant to give you all these information when you are not in the country first of all and you want to just send me the payment. Addionatlly, my questions about your job were not responded to, I am worried how you will be able to make the monthly payments if you do not have a job line up or autmobile. how do you plan on payment rent from now until Sept?...

I have also sent you pictures of the place and detailed floor plan and expenses. Do you already have a ticket confirmation if you are coming in 7 days or so as it was strange you had asked where is the nearest airport. The aiport is CLT Charlotte Douglas Intl, May 5th i will not be able to pick you up as i work long hours and i have very busy social life. I would prefer you already have arrangements to have your own car by then. Maybe your financial advisor can set up for you to have a car for the next 5 months.

+++++
well she ended up sending ma payment and her last email reads like this:

subjectOH......YES
mailed-byyahoo.com

hide details 8:49 AM (2 hours ago) Reply

Hi ,How are you doing over there in NC?I am glad you got my payment and i am rest assured now that i have gotten a nice place with you.Please what is the exact total amount that i am supposed to pay for 1-month FEES??RSAP cos i know that you actually requested for a total move in cost of $975.00 .I tought i should keep in touch and update you again cos i contacted my finance officer..Yes you are right,that was the certified payment that was paid out to you and mailed out to the address in NC.Yes you are a honest person and i am glad to have found a good person like u.The money is for $4900.The $4900 is for both the rent and the rest is my travel allowances.And the second check is for my funiture,He paid both the rent funds and the rest money is my allowance for my ticket fees into Douglas Airport (CLT), Charlotte, NC

I'm glad that all is working well and thats ok i guess i will just furnish the room by myself as soon as i get into town and you will help show me around.(Answer to your question)Deborah Stone is the one who send the check to you she is my financial officer and Jenny Edison is the remmiter,you will keep one of the check till i arrive,Please you have to get to your bank today .Kindly get back to me again today before you go to the bank so that i can then tell you how to deposit the funds and you will get paid of the whole $4900 after depositing the funds at the bank. My travelling agent said that the Continenetal Airlines flight for the 3RD of May is filled up already but that he can sure still secure a seat for me into Douglas Airport (CLT), Charlotte, NC with that flight that leaves on 5th of May so that i comeover on Tuesday but he will need to get paid of $2100(ticket fees) out of the rest money with so that he can secure a seat down for me before the flight gets filled up.

Kindly reply as soon as you get this email so that i can then tell you what to do..I am excited here and i look forward to meeting you in person.I look forward to reading your reply today so that everything can be done before weekend and you can help me pay up $2100 for my ticket fees before the available seats gets filled up.I'm excited!!!!
Thanx a bunch,

Claudia

==========================

i wanna get her back!! thsi makes me so mad.. all i was looking for was a honest roommate whom i can trust.. and i got duped into this apparently HUGE scam..

so annoyed..

Post subject: Re: Roommates.com moneyorder scam
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:00 pm 

Don't be fooled by anyone - it's not just London or Nigeria or some other country. I got one today from MD. The clues were broken english, misused words, working on some mysterious project that would bring her to "my states for longer than 12 months", and the real biggie, her offer to send me a personal "cheque" , a business check, or money order for $750 w/o knowing me from Adam.