ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roommates.com: Possible Scam - Please advise.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:21 pm 

I received this email from one Shannon Boksburg.
I was excited at the possibility of finding a new roommate but red flags were raised because

A) she says she's Canadian (Ontario) but grew up in Netherlands but I felt that her email did not flow smoothly for someone who speaks English natively.
B) she's out of the country and will not be able to see the property
C) she did not specify what area she will be working in
D) company is paying for the cost - which normally isn't too odd except that she works for a government agency, which would make me assume they would make the living arrangements for her.

So after googling her name, nothing came up (not even Facebook, which is almost rare in this day and age) but I found this forum and read some of the posts of potential/verified scammers and they all sound very similar! Always someone else paying for the rent; either a family member or a company.

Tell me what you guys think. The following is her email below and a email following my email response:

Hello, How are you doing? I went through your profile as posted on roommates.com and am Interested in renting the place you have available.

I will start by introducing myself briefly; I am Shannon Boksburg 30 years old, Am Originally from Ontario, Canada grew up in Netherlands.

I am a Pathologist by profession, presently work for European Public Health Alliance under the inspection of W.H.O/UNICEF as a microbiologist/Researcher; I do more of humanitarian work which is out of my real profession. Moreover, I just finished a project here in Netherlands, about treatment of water and to educate Communities on intensive health-care.

The project was initiated by UNICEF in conjunction with EPHA; I led the troop to actualize the conclusion of the project. My next appointment is in the United States, I will have to move in by first week of August. Due to this reason, I had to make the posting to get a room urgently for me to get a place to live on my arrival to the states. I have some personal effect to move in such as my Desktop computer, bedroom furniture.

I get lot of acknowledgment about me been friendly, I love kids, I’m laid back, I don't move about at nights, love reading novels and listening to the news because am very conservative about politics & entertainment.

The duration of my stay is for 12 months as my supervisor will come visiting once in awhile to get reports from me, a letter of appointment about my first assignment by my supervisor upon my arrival. Precisely, I might be working in schools, Laboratories and Hospitals.

Am writing to confirm if you still have the room available for rent......If YES, Kindly reply the following questions below:
1) I will like to have the description of the room, size, and the equipments in there.
2) I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
3) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, electronics that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf because I read a lot, shoe rank etc
4) I will also like to know if you accept Cashier's Check or Money Order so that I can contact our payment department for the payment. The company is responsible for the payment.
5) If the 4 questions are YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent plus utilities and if deposit is necessary.
6) I will like to know the major intersection
7) I will like to know as well when the place will be available and how long you wish to rent it out.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Respectfully,
Shannon Boksburg.

2nd email after I responded:

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes! I do love animals and I hope we could be good neighbor play pool as a vocational game but my sport is scrabble and I play it well. Am 30yrs Old and I am a Pathologist as well, could you tell me more about the area because I won't be able to check it out in person . I have also attached my picture and I would love to see your pictures too if you have any. This will give both of us an ideal picture of ourselves so won't have any difficulty identifying ourselves when we finally meet. I would like to rent for a long term period. I really need a place to put my head when am in states. I am very nice and loving person, fun to be with. I don't keep late night. Most importantly I am respectful of others privacy, time, and personal items. I am really interested in your place and I work (Make researches and compile list), I would like to arrive as soon as payment is confirmed and the accommodation is secured, depending on when the place will be available. Let me know when the place is available and how long you want to lease your place for, Honestly I don't have any problem participating in any of your life style and I don't have any allergies......

Concerning the payment,My supervisor will be responsible for the payment. Please let me know if a c or Money Order will do,So that I can contact my supervisor that the apartment is ready.Calculate the first month rent and deposit if required. I would love to move in by first week of August, and will be staying for a long time depending on how long you want to rent the place 12Months to be precise. Let me know how long you want rent the place.

Also would love to know more about you, what kind of job do you do? What kind of music do listen to,because I like pop and classics. I have no problem sharing apartment with either a male or female, trust me you will enjoy my stay. Please get back me as soon as possible and send me the Name and Address where the check will be mailed to you, so that my supervisor can process it and send it to you as soon as possible. Tell me some more about your self.

Hoping to hear back from you soon.

Thanks and God Bless,
Shannon Boksburg.

Post subject: Re: Roommates.com: Possible Scam - Please advise.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm 

I am 100% sure you are dealing with an african scammer.

'grew up in Netherlands " is a typical grammar mistake Africans make and someone who actually lived there would not

Like you say, the emails do not flow smoothly. The grammar mistakes and ramblings clearly point in the way of an african scammer.

Stay clear of this one. It will only cost you money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would agree . . . scam . . .

Quote:
4) I will also like to know if you accept Cashier's Check or Money Order so that I can contact our payment department for the payment. The company is responsible for the payment.

The check/money order would be counterfeit

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:01 am 

Definitely a Scam. I received the exact same information word for word. Same "person" same exact message.
Next thing she'll overnight a check for $2850.23 and ask for the remainder in a wire transfer. The check is not valid (I called the bank where the check was issued). IMO you should get to the point where they overnight the check so you can at least deprive them of the money they spent to send the check over-night in an attempt to scam you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm 

TOTAL SCAM!!!! Thank God for this site, I was just about to fall for it, but something didn't seem right. Here is the e-mail I received. BEWARE!!!!

Thanks for your quick response... Cool and everything sounds good tome I'm ok with your rent deposit... and here is a little about me,wellam an easy going lady with special interest in swimming. I don't drinknor smoke,no pets and no boy friend because am a very busy woman also.I need to secure this room for myself before i arrive to the state asi ll be moving in with my luggages,You seem to be a very interestingperson to be with and I must confess to you that you will enjoystaying with me in the house because i make people smile always.Wellmy name is Melanie Luis , 26 years old ,Am into modeling and somehumanitarian jobs but now am putting modeling aside and focused onhumanitarian jobs squarely and I think i like the job because itinvolves traveling which is one of my hobbies..my dad is from usa anddied while i was only six and since then i was living with mum in usauntil i graduated and then been working there with SABRA humanitarianorganization here with the head office based in usa.i have 6 monthsvacation from here and wanna spend it here in the united states.i alsohave some seminars coming up afterwards and that will hold for theother 6 months after my vacation and that means duration might be 12months in a whole ok.Well i have been having fun in here and it willbe a great pleasure seeing you soon.I think that is all I can say sofeel free to let me know about you too.Am going to ask my boss to makea retainer fee payment for the room as soon as possible because am ina conference meeting right now in which it will be had for me to makethe payment by myself so i decided to let my boss know about the rentso the payment can be send to you cos he is the one in charge of allmy travel allowances and accommodation fees.....Kindly get back to mewith your details as follows.. 1.Name to be on the check2.Contact Address(street,apt #,City,State,Zip code):3.Contact telephone number home,cell or work...) Where the retainer payment can be issue which may be moneyorder/cashier check and send to you immediately in other not toaffords and this will give me strong prove that the room will be holdfor me and more so if you have pics of yourself and the room you cansend them to me.. Regards Melanie.[/i]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:07 pm 

I have received the same EXACT email, same pictures and all; it's unfortunate this scam is still circulating. After "she" sent me this email today, the cashier's check for $2780.00 was sent via mail. It was sent from South Carolina, the check is from "Utah Community Credit Union". (Which is an actual bank) I realized, after reading this email, that it was a scam and brought the check to my bank and they will be reporting it through their fraud department.
Is there any other way to report this particular scam? How can I help others avoid this?

Good Morning! How are you doing this morning and how was your night? I hope you had a beautiful night rest?

I am sincerely Sorry for the delay in getting payment across to you, And also that I haven't sent you an email before now, I have been so much busy with work trying to hand over some important documents and compiling a report on my previous assignments. And now here is the good news.

I am glad to inform you that payment will be delivered to you not later than today Thursday 11-10-2011 as confirmed, It was sent via USPS Express Mail Service. Actually the payment was suppose to be for a month rent and deposit as agreed, But there is a mix-up from the accounting personnel when issuing the payment, The payment was suppose to be issued in 2 separate forms (1 for the Accommodation and the other one for the Flight Fare). Anyway I'm pretty sure that you can handle this situation for me as a potential roommate.

The balance on the payment was suppose to go for my flight ticket to the states, Moving of my furniture and some other appliances. As soon as you receives the payment, take it to your bank and deposit it. Deduct your payment as agreed and wire the balance on it to the ticket agent via Western Union Money transfer.

Here is the Ticket agent's information to wire the funds via Western Union Money Transfer after deducting your money and the transfer charges.

Beneficiary First Name : Mitchelle
Beneficiary Last Name : LeMelle
Beneficiary Address : 68 Harley St
City : London
Postcode : W1G 7HE

Please let me know if would be able to come and pick me up at the airport, And also state in your response the nearest airport to where you live, So that I can have the ticket agent en-route my flight to the exact airport without any further delay as soon as payment is been confirmed for my flight ticket via western union money transfer, I truly Hope to meet you soon. I await your response as soon as you get this email.

Thanks and Remain blessed,
Adrienne Morales.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm 

Quote:
Is there any other way to report this particular scam?

You can file a complaint with the IC3. http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Quote:
How can I help others avoid this?

Just by posting this you may have prevented someone else from falling victim to this scam. Be sure and tell your family and friends about it too.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:24 pm 

I too was scammed and here is the email chain so that you may also see the wiles of the scammers....
enjoy...and be careful.....
Cheers
Les

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Adrienne Morales adriennemorales1@aol.com
10:47 PM (17 hours ago)

to me
Hello, How are you doing? I went through your profile as posted on roommates.com and am Interested in renting the place you have available.

I will start by introducing myself briefly; I am Adrienne Morales30 years old, Am Originally from Ontario, Canada grew up in Netherlands.
I am a Pathologist by profession, presently work for European Public Health Alliance under the inspection of W.H.O/UNICEF as a microbiologist/Researcher; I do more of humanitarian work which is out of my real profession. Moreover, I just finished a project here in Netherlands, about treatment of water and to educate Communities on intensive health-care.

The project was initiated by UNICEF in conjunction with EPHA; I led the troop to actualize the conclusion of the project. My next appointment is in the United States, I will have to move in by December/January depending on the availability. Due to this reason, I had to make the posting to get a room urgently for me to get a place to live on my arrival to the states. I have some personal effect to move in such as my Desktop computer, bedroom furniture.
I get lot of acknowledgment about me been friendly, I love kids, I’m laid back, I don't move about at nights, love reading novels and listening to the news because am very conservative about politics & entertainment.
The duration of my stay is for 12 months as my supervisor will come visiting once in awhile to get reports from me, a letter of appointment about my first assignment by my supervisor upon my arrival. Precisely, I might be working in schools, Laboratories and Hospitals.

Am writing to confirm if you still have the room available for rent......If YES, Kindly reply the following questions below:
1) I will like to have the description of the room, size, and the equipments in there.
2) I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.A
3) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, electronics that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf because I read a lot, shoe rank etc
5) If the 4 questions are YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent plus utilities and if deposit is necessary.
6) I will like to know the major intersection
7) I will like to know as well when the place will be available and how long you wish to rent it out.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Respectfully,
Adrienne Morales.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 am 

When someone like this e-mails me, I usually take certain things in the body of the e-mail such as yours was UNICEF and other little things you can look up right on the web under BING, type these keys company names and address in and click SEARCH. But my overall experience is don't deal with anyone you can't meet first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 pm 

Just went through this shiite and the name this time was Jennifer Cole, same emails and pics.
I posted the whole thing on another thread
Thanks you saved me some time