There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I being scammed?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:24 pm 

Hello,
I have an ad on roommates.com. A person contacted me almost immediately after the ad was posted. She is French, living in France and wants to move for work to LA. She wants a friend to physically check out the apartment, so she asked for my phone# after corresponding for awhile.
She gave me her name and the people she works for. I searched for it and it checks out. She also told me that she is interested in photography, and she sent me a link to her photo website- it has her name and a photo of her that looks like her roommates.com photo. Also, she has asked specifically about the living situation, i.e. utilities, my personality etc.
It seems legit, but the fact that she is from another country and I won't be able to meet her right away are raising "red flags" for me.
Is any of this consistent with other scams? Is there anything I can ask this person to be sure? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Am I being scammed?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:51 pm 

If she goes on to want to send you a check (chances are this check will be counterfeit) for the rent, security etc and maybe even asks you to forward the rest to her shipper then it's definately a scam... one way to find out is to tell her you will only accept "cash" thru Western Union... watch how fast she changes her tune and her mind! If she's for real she won't have a problem with that... they do have Western Unions in France...