ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I'm being scammed, already recieved money order
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:40 pm 

My room mate and I have been attempting to rent a room out in our home. This girl from Canada has been e-mailing us (when we live in Texas) saying that she wanted to move in. I guess I'm a little to trusting because I thought nothing strange of it at first and sent her my name, address and phone number (cell). Well she sent me two $1500 money orders (from western union in walmart) and I just received them today (they are sitting on my coffee table in the envelope). The name on the money order and address do not match up with what she has been telling me. But not I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, am I supposed to contact someone about them? Did I jeopardize my safety? I've gone through dozens of message boards but can't find the answer.

Here are the messages she sent me.

twenti4sevoon@aol.com

Hi,

I am interested in taking up the room you have available for rent,,i am an occupational nurse.Respectful and easy to get along with 28yrs old,I don't have any pet,but i am pet friendly,don't keep late nights and am straight female with no drama,pls do get back to me if you are looking to rent it out asap.let me know all that i need to know about the place .I pay bills on time too.Do get back to me if the room is still available.

Thanks and God bless
Andrianne

Hi,

I do appreciate your response,am very glad and want to thank you for getting back to me,I know that it is very important to know more about someone looking to rent from you,So this is a little bio about me.

About me- I am a friendly 28 year old female who works full time as an occupational Nurse. I am down to earth and easy to get along with. I am very respectful of others' space and opinions.I strive for a drama free environment. If you want to hangout and go to a coffee shop, bar, shopping,or just feel like doing something spontaneous, then I am game!, I'm pet friendly but don't own one,i don't keep late nights,I was born in Canada and my mum was from Idaho where i am presently,before my high school i lost my mum and my dad 4 years ago and since then i ave been under the care of my uncle,my mum was a nurse too and that made me to be an Occupational Health Nurse,An
occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and well being of employees in the work place,so no problem about job..

My interest in the area is simply because change is needed in everyone's life and i am also looking into a different direction,i ve been getting my life back cause of what happened to me here few months ago cause i had this had this break up that really makes me want to give up everything but i am rebuilding my life,so that is one of the
reasons of my moving, because i understand that time wait for no one,Paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends(if you want me to do month to month,and i can also do the lease thing too.),I dont have pet,but i am pet friendly,don't keep late nights too..and am straight.

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,So please email me back if you are looking to rent out asap too,i really would have loved to talk this all over on the phone,but right now the email works faster and getting everything set up,i want to get settle down and get a cell when i move,pls do email me back so i
know more about the place and pictures of the place too if you have got... .I really need a roof asap,so pls email me back as soon as you can,and,A picture of mine will be attach in the next email,let me know if we can proceed,as i am looking to leave here(Idaho asap),to see my uncle in Canada before i move over to your place,as he is really sick
now...

Thanks for your time and i await your next email.

Andrianne

Hi,

I do appreciate your response,am very glad and want to thank you for getting back to me,I know that it is very important to know more about someone looking to rent from you,So this is a little bio about me.

About me- I am a friendly 28 year old female who works full time as an occupational Nurse. I am down to earth and easy to get along with. I am very respectful of others' space and opinions.I strive for a drama free environment. If you want to hangout and go to a coffee shop, bar, shopping,or just feel like doing something spontaneous, then I am game!, I'm pet friendly but don't own one,i don't keep late nights,I was born in Canada and my mum was from Idaho where i am presently,before my high school i lost my mum and my dad 4 years ago and since then i ave been under the care of my uncle,my mum was a nurse too and that made me to be an Occupational Health Nurse,An
occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and well being of employees in the work place,so no problem about job..

My interest in the area is simply because change is needed in everyone's life and i am also looking into a different direction,i ve been getting my life back cause of what happened to me here few months ago cause i had this had this break up that really makes me want to give up everything but i am rebuilding my life,so that is one of the
reasons of my moving, because i understand that time wait for no one,Paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends(if you want me to do month to month,and i can also do the lease thing too.),I dont have pet,but i am pet friendly,don't keep late nights too..and am straight.

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,So please email me back if you are looking to rent out asap too,i really would have loved to talk this all over on the phone,but right now the email works faster and getting everything set up,i want to get settle down and get a cell when i move,pls do email me back so i
know more about the place and pictures of the place too if you have got... .I really need a roof asap,so pls email me back as soon as you can,and,A picture of mine will be attach in the next email,let me know if we can proceed,as i am looking to leave here(Idaho asap),to see my uncle in Canada before i move over to your place,as he is really sick
now...

Thanks for your time and i await your next email.

Andrianne

Hi again ,

Thanks once again for the reply,I am very happy meeting a person like you,It 's nice meeting you and i will never ever want to loose the the place ,you did inspire me,I want You to know that i am okay with the place

I got to believe that the people that are around someone matters most,i believe that you'll be a nice person,I want you to know that i have my dresser,computer table,kitchen utensils and 2 big luggages and my car to be shipped..i'll love to secure place so that so that i wont loose the place and with the way we ve communicated,I am okay with all you ve said and i want you to know that i don't want to make any plan without securing a place down now,so i ve let my uncle understand that i ve gotten a place and told him abt the place,He is comfortable with it too,so i thought of it and i will be making payment to hold down the place as i cant afford to loose it at all, and the mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is a certified Money order,pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,or your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands when not at home through regular mails or a courier service,and your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to send to any of the addresses just to ensure safe delievery.

Kindly get back to me with this requested address contact information so that we can proceed,I do not want to loose the place.And to let you know it is not that i have bunch of furnitures,just my car and my personal effects...I also want you to know that if i secure the place now,i can move on formally,please understand that..

Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay

Thanks...
Andrianne

Hi ,

I am very happy for the concern,and i want to thank you for giving me the chance,I really appreciate it. I want to let You know that I'll make it up to You and but will be mailing the payment out asap ,and it will get to you soon as i will be overnighting it,Please let me know if this is okay by You

I want you to know that my furniture's and my car will be delivered before my arrival,please do let me know if you can be there to help me receive my furniture's and my car ,I won't cause you any financial problem as i will be including the shipper's fee in the payment that I'll be sending ...So you will be getting the shipper's fee and the rent fee together ,You will just deduct your rent fee and keep the shipper's fee till he comes to deliver my things

Hope you can understand me?

I really appreciate you for we've been so nice from the start and please kindly take off the ad off the site now..

And i want you to check the address and name again,and if there is a direct phone number...

Thanks.

Your Roomie

hello Hanna,

Please do take me as a family member /or friend,so you could advise me if i'll be needing anything or need to know anything,I also hope that you wont be giving anyother person audience on the rental again.i will never want to be dissapointed in all my effort,Please feel free to share ideas with me,you are welcome anytime..And my things wont arrive until you get the payment and i could be there before delievery if you want.I will be emailing you more info on my shipment and i am looking to arrive by the first/sec wk in next month,let me know if that is okay with you,I could arrive before the delievery of my things,but will let you know.

I will be waiting to read from you..

Thanks again
Andrianne

she also sent me a picture of herself...

Attachments:
File comment: the picture of herself that she sent me
me.jpg
me.jpg [ 45.05 KiB | Viewed 9379 times ]

Post subject: Re: I think I'm being scammed, already recieved money order
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm 

First take a trip to a Walmart that has a Western Union and explain the situation about renting your room and receiving the money orders... show them the money orders and ask them to verify them... I'm almost sure they will come up counterfeit. Bring everything with you... your roommate... the ad for the room rental... all the correspondence from this person. Once you've established that the money orders are no good, STOP all communications with this person. Don't email them back to let them know you're on to them just completely stop communications... they'll get the hint and move on. You "may" have to change your phone number if they get persistant enough to keep calling... if you have caller ID don't answer the phone unless you know who it is until you are sure that they have quit trying to contact you. If you don't have caller ID let it ring to your voice mail. Outside of that, that's about all you can do as finding and proscecuting these people is almost impossible. On a final note, don't try to rent to someone who cannot meet with you face to face... and never give out any personal information to a stranger, address, phone number etc. I know times are tough right now but keep it local... you're much better off taking the time and waiting to meet face to face with a possible roommate than to suffer the consequences of a scammer.

Post subject: Re: I think I'm being scammed, already recieved money order
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:56 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Off of the info your provided, I would say it is a scam. Don't cash the money orders, block her email and phone number and I agree with the info in the last post . . . don't rent to someone who cannot meet you face to face.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch