ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RentScams.org - Learn how to recognize rental scams!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm 

The resource below will show you how to recognize and how not to be a victim of a rental scam:

http://www.rentscams.org/

Post subject: Re: RentScams.org - Learn how to recognize rental scams!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:59 am 

I just posted and ad on CL and one of the first responses I get is a scam if you would like to know how they correspond
here is the email.
Now days they will a disposable cell phone ( like a pay as you go) so you can try to contact them, it mostly goes to some voicemail.
I sent them a phoney address and pic of the house, I really did like messing with them.

Sent: Tue 10/27/09 1:55 PM
To: Sandra Jamison (xxxx@xxxx)
Yes..thanks you for the pic,still interested in the house..

--- On Tue, 27/10/09, Sandra Jamison wrote:

Subject: RE: Payment Information...
To: anna.laidler01@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Tuesday, 27 October, 2009, 5:57 PM

Anna, Did you get a chance to review the pic of the house? does it still interest you?

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:07:51 -0700
Subject: Payment Information...
To: xxxx@xxxx

Hello Chris,
How are you doing? Thanks for the reply and information.I am very interested in renting the room,i will keep you posted with my flight information as events unfold.

I just got in touch with my uncle and we thought of mailing the payment via air mail mid next week in one of his business trip abroad. Please let me know if this is OK with you.I have your mailing address and will like to proceed with payment arrangement.

I will have the rental agreement application form filled and signed out upon my arrival.

Also,let me know if you will be able to help me keep my little stuffs(dresser,art works,painting and my car as they will be shipped before my arrival.

Can you please remove the advert off Internet so that i can be sure you will be holding the room down for me?

Thanks for willing to give me the room,I can't wait to meet you.

Anna.

--- On Mon, 26/10/09, Sandra Jamison <@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: Room Mate
Date: Monday, 26 October, 2009, 6:56 AM

Anna My name is actually Chris, I use this as a generic email to send CL stuff to, Anywho, I am enclosing a pic
If you like the house you can either paypal, send a money order, or have you uncle hand deliver it (if he would like to check the place out) a deposit for the first Month and the rest on your arrival. I am a super laid back person, with mid western attitudes(means I was brought up properly with manners)
I am a retired Mortician (yes seriously) my hobbies have been , restoring this house, diving, swimming (there is a neighborhood open during the summer)photography, graphic art and media. I am a very trust worthy person and looking for the same (why would I want anything else in my house). I am 5'6 (or used to be) straight (boyfriend is a doctor in town) I dont smoke cigarettes, I Very Rarely drink (makes me ill). I do not take narcotics, for my injury,but, I do have a 420 card. which means I have license to smoke marijuana for my pain. As it is legal hear for medical use. I have a cute kitty as you can see in the video. The Address to the House is ca 94563. You can googlemap it and it should sow up. Please let me know as so as possible if you want it, as I have had quite a bit of interest in it. I will send the video of downtown in separate email.

Chris
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:01:33 -0700
To: @hotmail.com

Hello Sandra,
How are you today? hope you are okay, sorry for the late reply, i have been very busy with stuffs down here. Thanks so much for the reply.I have plans moving by 5th of November.I don't mind if the rent starts counting now.Is this okay with you?
I'll be happy if you can rent out the place to me as I will love to get a place before my arrival.

More about me, I am half Brit from dad and half Asian from mum,a science teacher, mostly spend my time in the laboratory experimenting, divorced female of 31yrs, I am educated(undergraduate and post graduate degree), am very active in sport (ski, surf,swimming), a good christian,very low key and relaxed to live with. I DON'T smoke nor drink and i DON'T mind if flat mates do, I DON'T have a pet also. Presently staying at 19 Gavestone Rd, lee, London SE12, England, United Kingdom.

Reference...I worked under my uncle for a year and he is still running the private health center, which deals in projects that involves heart related diseases, I also work as a private tutor...And before that I schooled in Spain before moving down to united kingdom after the death of my dad and younger sibling in a car accident....

I like honest, responsible, trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike uncaring people and I love pets so much, am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5'7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldom party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so I will want you to tell me all about the place, as I can't see it before my arrival. It would be cool if I see the pictures..

I also will want you to know that I have my car that I will be coming over with, and little of my furniture, please let me know if there will be room for them?

Moreover, let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as I will also be busy from next week preparing to come over as I plan to arrive when the room is available and payment is made.

I will need you to advice me how best I can send payment to you soon as I understand that you agree to accept me in as your roommate, since my uncle who is making the total payment for the first & last month rent plus security deposit and shipping of my car , few furniture will be mailing out payment to you via Money Order in one of his business trip abroad to hold the room down for me before my arrival.
Should you agree to receive payment via Money Order in US dollars,kindly advise me of your full name ,contact address (either work or home address depends on where you assure to receive it in person )and contact telephone #.

Please, feel free to ask me any more question as i am very happy to join you and more so, I will love to always get email from you on how the event unfold till my arrival.

For references reason,kindly contact below:
Former landlord :Kristin Adams(kristinadams76@hotmail.com)
Roommate:Allan Barclay(allanbarclay2@gmail.com)

Thanks, I will appreciate every of your effort to assist me in this traveling plans as I will be very happy to know you more than just roommates when I get there. Am very friendly and generous.

Again, Thanks and best regards,
Anna.

--- On Sat, 24/10/09, Sandra Jamison <@hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Saturday, 24 October, 2009, 6:01 PM

Anna
The neighborhood is very upper class, the house is older and has its charms. As for utilities beside electric, water, trash, Satellite TV, Wireless internet. Bath has separate shower and tub. It is a two bedroom 1 bath house. I am Single, but dating a Super guy,The house is available now. I will have more pictures up later.

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 02:48:24 -0700
Subject: Room Mate
To:

Hi,
How are you? Hope you are doing good. I saw your posted advert on Internet that you have a room available for rent with brief description but I still want to confirm the availability of the place and I will appreciate to know more about you , the neighborhood and utilities, as I'll need to have a place as soon as possible ...

About me, I am half Brit from dad and half Asian from mum, a science teacher,mostly spend my time in the laboratory experimenting,divorced female of 31 yrs,I am educated(undergraduate and post graduate degree), am very active in sport (ski, surf,swimming),a good Christian,very low key and relaxed to live with. I DON'T smoke nor drink and I DON'T mind if flat mates do, I DON'T have a pet also.

Presently staying at 161 Gavestone Rd, Greenwich, London SE12,England,united Kingdom,home contact number(+447024052366).....I'll let You know more about me if I can know the availability of the room.

I have been introduced to different landlord and room owners but they don't seem easy to get along with, I hope we can get along well as I wait to read from you soon via email.

Thanks and best regards,

Anna.

this message was remailed to you via: hous-5bzca-1434466592@craigslist.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm 

Is this a rent Scam or not?
This was a reply to an add to rent a room on Craigs List

Hi,
I'm ,female, and i am from Spain , specifically Barcelona .
I speak both English and Spanish fluently, and i am 27years
of age.
I am currently working with the Federal Agency of Works and
Environmental in Spain (ILO).I am currently on a research programmed,and
i am desperately looking for a place to stay..I am the neat type, honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking person while I love music allot and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldom party.. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis ,i also like watching football,basketball , i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around and i know that you will like the kind of person that am.I read your profile about the room and i would really want to secure the room before my arrival,and more so to know if it would be possible for me to pay for the room before my arrival,So i will like to know the total amount of the room per month and the utility included.All these information are very important so that i can submit my proposal to my Organization.My Organization will be responsible for all the fees and the payment will be by United State money order. I will
need the following
information to get the payment to you.

Full name as it will appear on the payment.
Address.
phone number.

I would be glad to see your quick response.

Thanks.

Yelena.

1919-2009 Federal Agency of Works and Enviromental

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 pm 

Definately a scam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 am 
Gold Member

Yes, 100% scam.

Answered here [link]

| CyberCrimeOps.COM (Connect via Facebook) | Internet-Love-Scams.ORG |

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:55 pm 

Hi there,
Just got this & am totally sure it's a scam. But I thought it would be good to post here also just in case it might help someone else out there. :))

From Deborah Dowels (hmmmmm.... the name even sounds fishy...)
I'm so glad to hear the room is still available for rent...here is
little about myself, my name is Deborah Dowels i speak both French &
English, am single, fun, loving, clean, and respectful of others,
don't do drugs. My father is from US and my mother is from France, am
22yrs old, gender female. I was born in France (Paris) and i attend
American University of Paris, graduated a year ago.

I'm coming for a long term stay and am ready to sign a year lease in
peron on the day of my arrival as soon as i get to your house, but am
presently on research work at Guam
and will be coming for my master's degree from soon. I'll be arriving
January 13th. and pay for the deposit and one month rent upfront,
loved to call you but here is a remote area calls are very hard to go
through, and also love to come and check at the room before renting
but am very far, with pictures that will makes me happy and feel
comfortable.

Please tell me little about yourself...if you are a student?,
working?, married or single?, if there is a garage or parking space
because i will be coming with my own car. Let me know the total amount
for the first month rent, because i will be paying upfront so that it
will give you strong prove that am really interested in renting the
room from you. Payment will be done via US Cashier's or Certified
Check, so please feed me back with the following details so that i can
ensure you are ready to rent the room to me.

Information to facilitate the mailing of the check...

* Full Name:
* Address, City, State, Zip Code:
* Cell and Home Phone Number:
* Month Rent:

I'll be waiting to read back from you with the information requested
so that i can forward it to my father to issue out the check for the
deposit and month rent up front as soon as possible, with that you can
hold on the place prior my arrival... Thanks for your co-operation

This is my reply:

Hi Deborah,
I'm very aware of many scams that go on. So.... I have to say up-front that I will not be accepting any money thru the mail.
I've posted your email on a scam website, and all agree that it looks just like all the other scam emails that are sent out.
So, if it's not, I apologize, but...you are more than welcome to call the #'s I gave you and we can work out the specifics when you're in the US.
Thanks,
Kristi