ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Room Rental Scammers are hovering around Craig's List!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 pm 

I put a room for rent on Craig's list just 3 days ago and all 4 replies I have received are extremely suspicious, i.e. wanting to move in ASAP; moving from Canada; moving from Hawaii; ALL 4 OF THEM said they can't call via phone for one reason or another, but will send me money via cashier's check or money order right away via a relative!!! One even asked for my banking info to "wire" me the money. Three of the four were written in broken English. One provided me with an email of her last landlord for a reference, and the response was in the EXACT same type of broken English as the wanna-be renter, and kept saying how wonderful this person was and I should rent to her right away, etc. I can't believe how fast these scammers pounce on any opportunity! It's a good thing most of them are very obvious. FYI: All 4 of them had Yahoo email accounts, so the IP Addresses all originate from California. STAY ALERT EVERYONE! TheSteg

Post subject: Re: Room Rental Scammers are hovering around Craig's List!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 pm 

Quote:
but will send me money via cashier's check or money order right away via a relative!!! One even asked for my banking info to "wire" me the money

All of them are scammers. If they send a check it will be for more than the rent. They will ask you to send some of it to someone for some reason. The check will be fake. If you give them your bank information they will wipe out your account. The best thing to do is not reply to anymore of their emails and delete the emails you have.

You could post the emails you have so if anyone does a google search they will find it posted. Another thing you should do is to check the IP address. This will tell you where they are really located. To do this you will need to open the full headers. Then copy and paste them in the box at the link below. Then click on submit header for analysis.

http://www.iptrackeronline.com/header.php

If you are using yahoo go to the bottom of the email and click on full headers. If you are using gmail click on the down arrow next to reply then click on show original. Sorry but these are the only two email providers that I know how to find the full headers.

Quote:
IP Addresses all originate from California

Califrona is where yahoo is located

Good luck

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

Post subject: Re: Room Rental Scammers are hovering around Craig's List!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm 

Wow, you were right-on! I knew Yahoo was in California, but when I put the FULL HEADER in at the website you mentioned, it turns out she is in Nigeria - hmmmmmm... go figure!

That is one-awesome-website!!!

Thanks!

The Steg