There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sounds too good, please advise
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:07 pm 

Good afternoon,
I am hoping you can let me know, if I am dealing with someone real or a scam. The first email read:
Hi,

I do appreciate your response,am very glad and want to thank you for getting back to me,I know that it is very important to know more about someone looking to rent from you,So this is a little bio about me.

About me- I am a friendly 28 year old female who works full time as an occupational Nurse. I am down to earth and easy to get along with. I am very respectful of others' space and opinions.

I strive for a drama free environment. If you want to hangout and go to a coffee shop, bar, shopping,or just feel like doing something spontaneous, then I am game!, I'm pet friendly but dont own one,i don't keep late nights,I was born in canada and my mum was from idaho where i am presently,before my high school i lost my mum and my dad 4 years ago and since then i ve been under the care of my uncle,my mum was a nurse too and that made me to be an Occupational Health Nurse,An occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and wellbeing of employees in the work place,so no problem about job..

My interest in the area is simply because change is needed in everyones life and i am also looking into a different direction,i ve been getting my life back cause of what happened to me here few months ago cause i had this had this break up that really makes me want to give up everything but i am rebuilding my life,so that is one of the reasons of my moving, because i understand that time wait for no one,Paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends(if you want me to do month to month,and i can also do the lease thing too.),I dont have pet,but i am pet friendly,dont keep late nights too..and am straight.

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,So please email me back if you are looking to rent out asap too,i really would have loved to talk this all over on the phone,but right now the email works faster and getting everything set up,i want to get settle down and get a cell when i move,pls do email me back so i know more about the place and pictures of the place too if you have got... .I really need a roof asap,so pls email me back as soon as you can,and,A picture of mine will be attach in the next email,let me know if we can procced,as i am looking to leave here(idaho asap),to see my uncle in canada before i move over to your place,as he is really sick now...

Thanks for your time and i await your next email.

lecticia vargas

I did respond with pictures of the place, as requested, and some additional information about the apartment. To which I received this email:
Thanks for emailing me back,i do appreciate,Please email me if you get my email with the pics and let me know if i am a good fit for the place....Please do make sure that you email me so that we can move on, knowing the kind of person you are,i feel alright..and i'll want to move in by the mid of the month

An occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and wellbeing of employees in the work place,so no problem about job,as i will be looking at hospitals in the area as soon as you confirm to rent out to me..and really ,i saved up,so dont worry about paying bills for the main time,i'm taking care of my late dad's business too.

I hope you understand that i have my own car too that i'll be coming with...

Thanks

lecticia vargas

The next email:
Hi again ,

Thanks once again for the reply,I am very happy meeting a person like you,It 's nice meeting you and i will never ever want to loose the the place ,you did inspire me,I want You to know that i am okay with the place

I got to believe that the people that are around someone matters most,i believe that you'll be a nice person,I want you to know that i have my dresser,computer table,kitchen utensils and 2 big luggages and my car to be shipped..i'll love to secure place so that so that i wont loose the place and with the way we ve communicated,I am okay with all you ve said and i want you to know that i don't want to make any plan without securing a place down now,so i ve let my uncle understand that i ve gotten a place and told him abt the place,He is comfortable with it too,so i thought of it and i will be making payment to hold down the place as i cant afford to loose it at all, and the mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is a certified Money order,pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,or your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands when not at home through regular mails or a courier service,and your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to send to any of the addresses just to ensure safe delievery.

Kindly get back to me with this requested address contact information so that we can proceed,I do not want to loose the place.And to let you know it is not that i have bunch of furnitures,just my car and my personal effects...I also want you to know that if i secure the place now,i can move on formally,please understand that..

Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay

Thanks...

lecticia vargas

As it still seemed somewhat genuine, I did respond with the mailing address and phone number which is the only info I will be revealing, until I hear from you. Here are the remaining emails:
Hi ,

I am very happy for the concern,and i want to thank you for giving me the chance,I really appreciate it. I want to let You know that i'll make it up to You and but will be mailing the payment out asap ,and it will get to you soon as i will be overnighting it,Please let me know if this is okay by You

I want you to know that my furnitures and my car will be delievered before my arrival,please do let me know if you can be there to help me recieve my furnitures and my car ,I won't cause you any financial problem as i will be including the shipper's fee in the payment that i'll be sending ...So you will be getting the shipper's fee and the rent fee together ,You will just deduct your rent fee and keep the shipper's fee till he comes to deliever my things

Hope you can understand me?

I really appreciate you for u've been so nice from the start and please kindly take off the ad off the site now..

And i want you to check the address and name again,and if there is a direct phone number...

Thanks.

Your Roomie

Hi Roomie,

I just want you to know that i will email you on update with the tracking # for the payment later today or first thing in the morning and you will have it tomorrow..

Please i have planned to get you the money first before i move on with other details,but i also want you to know that my arrival date will be 19/20th of this month,is that okay with you at all?

Please do let me know..

Thanks

Your's Sincerely.

Hello,

How are you doing this day?and how was your night?

I spoke with Fedex and i was told that the payment will be delievered today,Cause i am monitoring it now and fedex said it is presently in your city,it will be delievered today and the tracking number for the payment is -869255065791

Thanks once again for taking me in,i will never want to be dissapointed in all my effort..let me know if i'll be needing anything else for the place,please also keep the money safe by depositing it as soon as you get it today, and when you get it today and email me after depositing,please do email me so that i can move on with the shipping plans.

Also,i will want you to please get back to me with the closest airport around you..

I planned to arrive by the 19th /20th is this okay with you?,I will move forward with the shipping of my things,and i will let you know before the delievery..and how they will be..I will also need you advise as i wouldnt want to inconvinience you too.

I will be waiting to read from you..

Thanks again

Your Roomie

From this point, I did receive 3 cashiers checks but have not revealed that I have them, until I hear from you. I did receive 2 yahoo mobile text messages from 'katewille02' which I did google to find it associated with a possible scam.

Please advise and thank you for your time

Post subject: Re: Sounds too good, please advise
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:12 pm 

The very first thing anyone should do when receiving an email is check the headers. This will show the real location where the person is emailing you. Make sure you have the 3 cashiers checks checked out to make sure they are real. Also if she ask you to send any part of the money to someone else DO NOT do it. It sounds like a scam, but I am not 100 percent sure.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

This is a scam. The cashier's checks are counterfeit. Destroy them now and cut off all communication with the scammer. Block thier email address and phone number if you have to.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am 

YES, IT'S DEFINITELY A SCAM! Cease contact with this person as advised above. I would never rent to someone sight unseen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:22 pm 

I received the same email as golfingblade :

Hi,

I do appreciate your response,am very glad and want to thank you for getting back to me,I know that it is very important to know more about someone looking to rent from you,So this is a little bio about me.

About me- I am a friendly 28 year old female who works full time as an occupational Nurse. I am down to earth and easy to get along with. I am very respectful of others' space and opinions.

I strive for a drama free environment. If you want to hangout and go to a coffee shop, bar, shopping,or just feel like doing something spontaneous, then I am game!, I'm pet friendly but dont own one,i don't keep late nights,I was born in canada and my mum was from idaho where i am presently,before my high school i lost my mum and my dad 4 years ago and since then i ve been under the care of my uncle,my mum was a nurse too and that made me to be an Occupational Health Nurse,An occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and wellbeing of employees in the work place,so no problem about job..

My interest in the area is simply because change is needed in everyones life and i am also looking into a different direction,i ve been getting my life back cause of what happened to me here few months ago cause i had this had this break up that really makes me want to give up everything but i am rebuilding my life,so that is one of the reasons of my moving, because i understand that time wait for no one,Paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends(if you want me to do month to month,and i can also do the lease thing too.),I dont have pet,but i am pet friendly,dont keep late nights too..and am straight.

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,So please email me back if you are looking to rent out asap too,i really would have loved to talk this all over on the phone,but right now the email works faster and getting everything set up,i want to get settle down and get a cell when i move,pls do email me back so i know more about the place and pictures of the place too if you have got... .I really need a roof asap,so pls email me back as soon as you can,and,A picture of mine will be attach in the next email,let me know if we can procced,as i am looking to leave here(idaho asap),to see my uncle in canada before i move over to your place,as he is really sick now...

Thanks for your time and i await your next email.

lecticia vargas