ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Danielle Olsen (from roommates.com) is a scam too
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 pm 

Here is the text of the emails I received; I never bothered to reply to the last one (listed first). Galls me when she says "I will (sic) like to accept the offer of the room." I never offered it to her! I just emailed all this to roommates.com and asked them to delete her from their site.

Hello,
How are you doing today? i really understand you well but the only thing i will like you to know is that am a straight forward lady and hard working and i dont have bad character in my life before...i worked and i get a good income in my business, if you like to check my back ground check that is okay and cool,let me get there and check everything you will like to know about me...I just want to get the address from you that you can collect the payment from my customer this week and i will there in the state by nextweek, hold the payment till my arrival and if i get there and you are not okay to your taste you will give me my money back...Hope to read back from you and God will surely be with you....Amen.
Danielle.

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Kathy <> wrote:

Hi Danielle: You seem like a very nice person, but I have not yet offered you the room, and I cannot do so until I meet you and do reference and credit checks.

If you need a firm commitment without meeting the person and seeing the place, then this is not the room for you. You will have to contact one of the other potential landlords to see if they are willing to do this.

Since you will be living in my home, with me, I simply cannot just go by a few emails. I wish you luck in your search and best wishes for your new business.

-Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:28 AM
To: Kathy
Subject: Hello Kathy!!!

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me,I will be moving in by June 1st, i am ok with the asking price for the rent considering the amount i will be squandering monthly if i am to live in hotels mean while staying with you will really be prudent spending.I am so happy your place is up to available.If you dont mind i will like to accept the offer of the room.As for my items and luggages if you dont have enough space .

Meanwhile, Pls I will need the following full data from you so that payment can get to you soonest Name, contact address and the Telephone number...(Cell,Office,Home,).I will also like to know the nearest airport to our house. This is important even though i will like to see and inspect where i will call home in few weeks time personally but i really want to have a place ready ahead of my arrival due to past experience .I dont want to take anything for granted i hate being stranded moreover i will not be paying my rent personally cos my customer that buying the Afrcan beads from me will be responsible for my upkeeping,Accommodation and Mobility.

I will like to see that they are serious about this promises so that i dont get there and tell you stories about the rent .When you have confirmed to me that you have received the rent only then will i get on the flight and come over.I hope you understand what i mean .If you still want to rent the room to me please reply me with your address and full name please .The rent will be made available to you inform of a certified money order.

Thanks

Danielle.

--- On Sat, 5/16/09, Kathy <> wrote:

Subject: RE: Hello Kathy!!!
To: "'Danielle Olsen'" <danielle.olsen28@yahoo.com>
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 8:56 PM

Hi Danielle: When do you plan to arrive in California? I meet with all prospective roommates before commiting to rent the room to them. Thanks.

Kathy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:55 AM
To: Kathy
Subject: Hello Kathy!!!

Hello,

Let me tell you more about me... my name is Danielle Olsen and am from Canada am 28 years old of age.Christianity by religion, am single with no kids.I speak English,My personality traits are: serious, confident, calm, purposeful, persistent, smart, responsible,I usually read: classics, novels, newspapers and magazines My favorite physicalactivities:Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking.

I like the place and I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates sites as i'll love to rent the place...I sold African beads,i used to buy it in Africa and send it to U.S.A and here in Canada for selling and i based in Canada but now want to be staying there in the USA because i have alot of customers over in the state and i will not be doing the business in the house .Thats is why am looking for a place to stay in the states there so that i will have comfortable chance to do this business,just not like to stay in hotel. I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with.

My families lives here in Canada . and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my business and hope to have a more business job. However, based on your mail i will be making a payment to move in. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay or more than 12months.The things i will be moving in my luggages and the rest loads.Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Danielle.
--- On Sat, 5/16/09, Kathy <> wrote:

Subject: room for rent
To: danielle.olsen28@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 3:44 PM

Hi Danielle:

I have a large (15x17), newly painted and cleaned unfurnished room with LOADS of closet space and vaulted ceilings available now in my tri-level townhouse less than 2 miles from the beach. I am over 40, N/S, N/D, social drinker, clean, quiet. Please call me at if you are interested. Thanks!

Kathy

Last edited by kathyw1 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Danielle Olsen (from roommates.com) is a scam too
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:45 pm 

How do you know she is scamming? I get nearly identical emails from her too. I would like to ask you if you live in the washington dc area. If not, then i would think she is scamming me too. please reply soon.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:49 pm 

I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. There are several ways to tell that this is a SCAM:
- Wants to pay for the room site unseen
- Wants you to remove the listing from the website
- Vague description of what her actual source of income is
- From outside the U.S.
- Someone else will be paying for her rent, etc.
- Very bad grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

You need to report this to whichever website you are using to find a roommate.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 pm 

She somehow got my email from roommates.com.

email: danielle.olsen28@yahoo.com

I thought finding a roommate would be easier than this. Thanks for the feedback, you have been really helpful.

She(or he) also sent me pictures that were very small, probably taken from the net.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 pm 

Danielle is at it AGAIN! I just received ANOTHER email from her via roommates.com. These people need to ban her. Of course, she'll probably (if she even is a she) just assume another name and email address.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would report her, and suggest that they ban her email address.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 pm 

I reported her a month ago, and when yet another email ended up in my Inbox this morning, I clicked on "report member" and I got a pop-up that "you have already reported this member." I then emailed a screen-shot of her directly to roommates.com and said you need to ban this person from your site. I then emailed her and said STOP SCAMMING PEOPLE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I think that they need to get a certian number of reports before they will turn off the account, so make sure that you keep emailing them and telling them when you see her pop up.

Also, you could write an email to the main contact address for the site and ask them to post a warning about this scam on their front page.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm 

Well Danielle has now changed to Maria....I mean at least come up with a better last name and occupation. Here's my email....

Hello,
Let me tell you more about me. My name is Maria Olsen and am from Canada am 29 years old of age.Christianity by religion, am single with no kids.I speak English,My personality traits are: serious, confident, calm, purposeful, persistent, smart, responsible,I usually read: classics, novels, newspapers and magazines My favorite physical
activities:Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking.I like the place and I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates sites as i'll love to rent the place.I sold African beads,i used to buy it in Africa and send it to U.S.A and here in Canada for selling and i based in Canada but now want to be staying there in the USA because i have alot of customers over in the state and i will not be doing the business in the house because i used to send the beads to my customer from Africa direct to them when i travel to go and buy it in Africa.

Thats is why am looking for a place to stay in the states there so that i will have comfortable chance to do this business,just not like to stay in hotel. I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. My families lives here in Canada . and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my business and hope to have a more business job. However, based on your mail i will be making a payment to move in. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay or more than 12months.The things i will be moving in my luggages and the rest loads.
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards
Maria.

....And you say you speak English. Well I bit a little to see what she was all about and kept asking for money. I wrote back asking to provide more information and again money. I hope this person doesn't get anyone else. Thanks to all for posting.