ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Couter-Scamming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:29 pm 

With all this scamming going on i thought...

I just deposited a check from a (99% sure) scammer. Normally this wouldn't lead me to believe this was a scammer until they sent me a check (Fedex) and asked me to deposit it (not cash) then once i e-mailed her saying that i did she sends me a reply that all hell broke loose at home and low-and-behold that her shipping agency needs money (my assumption would be that she would COD everything to my house and i would pick up the tab, and now they won't COD it for her)

Now every previous E-mail was crafty except 2 of them (sent me about 8 in total) but now i'm very sure she is a scammer. Now what do i do? I am thinking that i'm going to tell her that i am going to let her live with me still, she did send me a check for over 8 times the amount that i was asking, but i will not return her money until after 1 month's time rent or she shows up on the doorstep.

Am i in the wrong, or can i be liable for "withholding money" from someone i have never met. In esscence, can i effectively scam the scammer?

Post subject: Re: Couter-Scamming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm 

E-mail logs

1)Good Day ,

My name is ---------, I'm a student from Alaska US, am coming pertaining to my research course on tourism and culturism, i'll like to know if you have the room advertised on the site still available for rent. I'll like to know more about you,the neighborhood,the room size and total move in cost including untilities cost. You can mail me back at --------@yahoo.com, i really need a place asap.Thanks as i await your reply.

Hope to read from you soonest.

2) I replied with a few tidbits of info

hello --------

l wil to know the total move cost of the room ok,

3) I responded so did she

Dear --------,

I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and i really appreciate the breakdown details of the house, more about me from Alaska (Anchorage) US, a quiet,clean,honest,responsible and easy going person to live with, I'm 5"7',straight, 24 years of age. I dont drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play long tennis. i lives here with my Uncle here in Alaska,my Dad and mom's died when i was young ,roommie i want you to know that i have no friends in the area except you for now lol....I am currently working on a research pertaining to my course work in culture and tourism. I hope to end my current assignment by the end of this month here in Alaska and focus on my new assingment to your States..
I will like to make a payment of $xxx and reserve the room for me before my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date....
To be honest with you i really like the kind of person you are from your little description and if you have the picture of the bedroom available, kindly forward it to my mailbox. I am really okay with the place...
I am planning to arrive on the 10th of next month so i will love to know if i can make the payment ahead of my arrival via business check,money order or personnal Cheque,so you will get the payment by next week and i can go ahead making arrangement for sending the payment to you, also i will much apprecaite if you can mail your information like,your mailing address ,your full name,your contact number as to appear on the payment. I will like to ship in my car,luggage,laptop and other materials for my research ahead of my arrival...
I will also like you to remove the advert from the site b'cos i am ready to have your place rented.....

Hope to read from you soon.

4)So i responded (without personal information she requested saying that someone else was interested and i would let them have priority, they didn't respond so i tell her shes able to have the room if she still needs/wants it)

Thanks --------

I really appreciate the reply ,I am okay with the price for rent, i'm trying to get everything set up as soon as i can cause i don't have much time to spend here again..am comfortable with the cost of the room and its quite reasonable and affordable. So i have discuss about the room payment to my uncle and he promise to make it up to you as soon as he have the necessary information that he will need to get the payment across to you.The check will be mail out to you via USPS regular mail delivery service and you will get it in couple of days.
All you have to do now in order to get the payment to you is to provide the below information.
(1)your full name. So that the check can be made payable to you.
(2)your contact address. In order to mail the check to you.
(3)your phone #. You can be reach in case of emergency.

The check will get to you as soon as possible so that i can secure the place prior to my arrival..
Waiting for your responce.Take care of yourself and have a pleasant day
I would have preferd to give you a calls since all this while,but i'm facing a little problem with my cell phone now,so i was planning to buy
another phone when i arrive to the state. please kindly bear with me..

5) So i thought about it for a bit, and given the fact that it would all seem legitimate if the situation was true i gave her my information....

Dear -------

The address you send to me is not complete (xxxxx x xxxx),your contact address. In order to mail the check to you.

---------

6)I responded, this time with Zip and City info.

Dear ---------,

I really appreciate giving me the room as a potential roommate and the information provided,i consider the money i would have waste if i don't get a place down before my arrival to the state...
Right now i have told my uncle about you and he agree with me and really wish to know more about you and talk to you too,so i'll appreciate if you could forward your contact number to me and he will ring you very soon,okay?
He also told me to ask if you can help me out because now he is the only one that i lookup to {breadwinner} since i loss my parents years back and he wanted to make sure that everything go well for me, he will be sending the payment for the room to you by next week and he will include my shipping fee with your rent fee and you can paid my shipper at the point of there delivery of my stuffs to my future home,as he will be helping me out with the shipping of my car, luggage,furniture and my computer that i will be bringing in for the research prior to my arrival.
He want to know how trusting you are,so he said that if you agree,he will make sure he get the payment to you by next by week,okay? I really like the kind of person you are and i'll really love making a roomie together with you and i'll really appreciate if you could aslo pick me up at the ariport when i arrive to the state and i'll send my flight schedule to you as soon as it is avaialble...Thanks, can't wait to see your beautiful face soon.
Hope to read from you soonest,
Kindest Regards.

7) I send back that that woudl be ok, but i never got a phone call.....felt it kinda odd when i got this next messege

Hello ---------

How are you doing?Guess you are enjoying the present condition of the wonderful day?Anyway am really sorry for not emailing you since.. It's my great pleasure to inform you that the payment had been mailed to you in the name and address you provided for me.I want you to please bear with me as i'm already commited and have much interest in you and the room.I will not give any chance to loose the room..

Please i will want you to please help me arrange the room and hope you did not forget that the money for my shippers as also been included and my things will be shipped over as soon as you get the money..Also i like to inform you that my travelling ducoment has been taken for endorsement.I will let you know as soon as it made available so that you will know my flight schedule...Moreso,i'll appreciate if you can get back to me with the nearest airport (close to your place).And if you will be around to pick me up at the airport or not .

Please am really sorry once again for not emailing you...

Wating to read from you soon and my regards to your family..

Your sincerely

merry xmas

8) So she sent me the money to "reserve the room" which is all cool and stuff and i get the tracking info for the check (Fedex) and it arrives....

Hello ---------,
How was your night?Hope it was okay? Firstly,I have to thank you for being there for me all these while only God can reward you,butI am concern,did you get to track the payment?Please i'll want you to please email me when you get the payment,and i'll also want the money to be safe,so please do deposit it,I really cant afford to loose anything,so when you get and deposit it,email me so i can move on with my other important plans.
Thanks for being for being there,I wait your email.
I really appreciate.

---------

9) Cool, so i deposited the check today (along with another check and cash) and get this response when i said i have done so....

Dear ,

How are you today?i am so happy for you being there for me,I really appreciate your care and concern,am happy to hear that you've recieved the payment,afterall you will now believe that i did try all these days,i am really happy,let me know if you are too?

I always want to be your roommate ,I talked to my shipping agent and i was told that they will have to get their service fee before delivering stuffs and luggages into my future home which is your place.Cause there payment policy had been changed.And they also assure me immediately after they receive their service fee the shipping logistics will take effect..

Right now i will implore you to please go and deposite the payment at your bank and take out your rent and the rem payment of the money so that you can send it to my shipping company via westernunion money transfer and they can ship my things to my room before my arrival date

Please i will be so glad if you can do this for me, kindly get back to me so that i will get back to you with the westernunion transfer information you will be sending the money to via westernunion money transfer i.e(Name and there address ).as i believe that it is the safest and fastest way of sending money,Because if i can't get the $ to the shipper,I might loose all i ve worked for about the shipping and they'll ask me to pay more,Please kindly understand this

I believe that you really understand how hard it has been for me getting the payment to you and know that i do,I am about to loose money if i can't get the $ to the shipper today,because i ve paid the security fee on my shipments and they told me that they should have the money asap as they ve waited so long for me as you ve did too

Kindest regards
--------

=============================================

So i got this e-mail and this is where i believe this to be a scam, seen it before many places. The check was for 8 times the amount the room would be rented for per month and i have not gotten any contact info out of her (because i haven't asked) other than her E-mail. Her story seems plausible (as a human given the situation she described) and the check had all the things a check would have (9 digit routing number, California company name with digital signature, account number. but i didn't see anythign about Alaska or which bank had issued the check, which normally would be on a check. But i don't know anything about state laws and checks in other states....

So now here i am with a freshly (today) deposited check.....What do i do and why? I would like to find out that she is real and she is coming but my gut tells me shes a scammer and i want to just stick it to em and tell them the room is theirs for 8 months, and if they do not show up within some time that i will consider them abandoning there rented space and i will then re-post it then...

However, she does have some contact info on me and could (theoretically) cause me a lawsuit which im pretty sure i would win. Or shoudl i tell her to "stop payment" on the check because it is still pending?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:09 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

SSJRapter wrote:
However, she does have some contact info on me and could (theoretically) cause me a lawsuit which im pretty sure i would win. Or shoudl i tell her to "stop payment" on the check because it is still pending?

She want you to wire money to her . . . she is a scammer (and probably not a she)
there will not be a lawsuit
I would not talk with her any more.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

This is most definitely a scam, so wouldn't worry about any legal ramifications for anything you do. I would, however, change your bank account info asap as well as notify the bank of the scam.

This week, I received emails with the same wording except change of name and place (looks like they had an atlas and started with the A's):

Hello There ,

My name is Linda Phan, I'm a student from Alaska (Anchorage) USA, am coming pertaining to my research course on tourism and culturism, i'll like to know if you have the room advertised on the site still available for rent. I'll like to know more about you,the neighborhood,the room size and total move in cost including untilities cost. You can mail me back at Lindap09@hotmail.com, i really need a place asap.Thanks as i await your reply.
Linda

My name is sandy ferguson, I'm a student from Maryland Annapolis, MD USA , am coming pertaining to my research course on tourism and culturism, i'll like to know if you have the room advertised on the site still available for rent. I'll like to know more about you,the neighborhood,the room size and total move in cost including untilities cost. You can mail me back at sandyferg022@aol.com, i really need a place asap.Thanks as i await your reply.
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 pm 

Here's more from just this week alone--note not one gives any independently-verifiable information:

Addresses:
natasha.wayne_11@hotmail.com; sylvia_anderson322@hotmail.com; sandy_ferg022@yahoo.com brown.bill38@yahoo.com; mary81manalo@geekzonemail.com; ciana_james270@hotmail.com; alexanderbach777@hotmail.com

Hi,
How are you doing, Am Sylvia female 28 yrs from London,United Kingdom. I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do, no boyfriend because I am a very busy woman.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with.. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis, I am currently working with the International Labor Organization in London.I am on a programme supported by United Kingdom Government i am searching for a place to stay.I will like to know much about the room and i would really want to secure the room before my arrival, more so to know if it would be possible for me to pay for the room before my arrival, i will like to know the total amount of the room in month with the utilities included. All these vital information are very important for me to know before submision of my proposal to the Organization.The Organization will be paying all the fees and the source of the money will be money order. The following information will be needed to get the payment to you. (1) Your full name as it will appear on the payment. (2) Address (3) phone number.
Anxiously waiting for your quick response,
Best Regards,
Sylvia

Hello!
Am making enquiry as regards the place you have available for rent on craigslist.
pls let me know if the place is still available for rent and get back to me with the following details.
-Precise move in date
-total amount of rent each month
-general living conditions
-Furnished or not
-duration of rent/lease
I will wait to read from you as soon as possible.
Warm Regards
Natasha.

Hello there,
Am making enquiry as regards the place you have available for rent on craigslist.
pls let me know if the place is still available for rent and get back to me with the following details.
-Exact move in date
-Amount of rent/month
-Living conditions
-Furnished or not
-how long will i be able to rent the place?
I will wait to read from you soon
ALICIA

Hi,
How are you doing, Am Ciana female 28 yrs from London,United Kingdom. I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do, no boyfriend because I am a very busy woman.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with.. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis, I am currently working with the International Labor Organization in London.I am on a programme supported by United Kingdom Government i am searching for a place to stay.I will like to know much about the room and i would really want to secure the room before my arrival, more so to know if it would be possible for me to pay for the room before my arrival, i will like to know the total amount of the room in month with the utilities included. All these vital information are very important for me to know before submision of my proposal to the Organization.The Organization will be paying all the fees and the source of the money will be money order. The following information will be needed to get the payment to you. (1) Your full name as it will appear on the payment. (2) Address (3) phone number.
Anxiously waiting for your quick response,
Best Regards,
Ciana

Hey there,
How are you doing today???.I am looking for an apartment/room to share with parking space and utilities,house in a safe neighborhood with alarm systems or something..
I am single lady who is responsible and respectable,27years,Non-smoker,no drugs and no drama,as well as being a Professional...Clean and healthy for sure!
My Move in date is _____.Let me know if you have anything available..I will also like to have the exact rent fee per month plus the utilities.
I'll let you know more about me in my next e-mail.
Sincerely,
Mary Manalo.
(61) 321-779-3945

Hi,
How is your day going?I am responding to the ad you posted on craigslist that you have a room or townhouse presently up for lease.I know its still available and will like to know more information. I'll like to know the utilities,final price for the room and security deposit involved directly in an email from you.I will state more about me when i know the availability of the room with your terms and conditions.I have been introduced to different landlord and room owners but they don't seem easy to get along with, I hope we can get along well as i wait to read from you soon via email...Thanks and best regards,
Cordially,
Bach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 pm 

Here's some of my exchange with one of them going by the name Bill Brown, brown.bill38@yahoo.com.

I saw ur article as regards needing a roommate.My name is Brown am 27yr old......I would be needing a room to stay in the state......I await your reply .

My response: Please provide the rest of the information requested in the ad

His response --notice it doesn't refer to mine at all:
Thanks for getting back to me...Am okay with
the bill per month but presently am in the UK
i work as a inspector manager for food am
coming over to the state to further my
education.....I will love to make payment
prior my arrival to the state.........Pls do
get back to me as soon as possible

My response:
Exact amount $520
Name: Roy Cooper
phone number: 919-716-6400
114 W Edenton St, Raleigh, NC 27603-1712
[color=#0000FF](didn't tell him that this is the NC Attorney General and his consumer protection office)

If you call, tell whomever answers you are from the UK and were using Craigslist to look for housing, and want to send the full amount of rent and deposit in advance to this address. Otherwise, just send a certified check or money order to the above address with a note reminding me what it's for (room rental per craigslist).
Thanks and good luck.[/color]
His response:
I can make the payment to you with the following....Bank Of America,Wells Fargo,Credit Card or with a PayPal...Pls get back to me as soon as possible

My response:
Wells Fargo would be great

His response back:
Thanks for your quick response.........Pls get back to me with the following.....Account No:
Routing:
Bank address:
Phone No:
So i can proceed with the payment.......

My response:
you'll need to contact Roy Cooper at the address/number I provided

His:
What address? (clearly he didn't read anything)

My response back :
Name: Roy Cooper
phone number: 919-716-6400
114 W Edenton St, Raleigh, NC 27603-1712
Exact amount $520
If you call, tell whomever answers you are from the UK and were using Craigslist to look for housing, and want to send the full amount of rent and deposit in advance to this address. Otherwise, just send a certified check or money order to the above address with a note reminding me what it's for (room rental per craigslist).
Thanks and good luck.

His response:
I can't make long distance calls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 am 

Wow this looks familiar!

Dear XXXX,

I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and i really appreciate the breakdown details of the house, more about me from Alaska (Anchorage) US, a quiet,clean,honest,responsible and easy going person to live with, I'm 5"7',straight, 24 years of age. I dont drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play long tennis. i lives here with my Uncle here in Alaska,my Dad died when i was young ,roommie i want you to know that i have no friends in the area except you for now lol. I speak English and French fluently..I am currently working on a research pertaining to my course work in culture and tourism. I hope to end my current assignment by the end of this month here in Alaska and focus on my new assingment to your States..
I will like to make a payment of $675 and reserve the room for me before my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.....
To be honest with you i really like the kind of person you are from your little description and if you have the picture of the bedroom available, kindly forward it to my mailbox. I am really okay with the place....
I am planning to arrive on the 10th of next month so i will love to know if i can make the payment ahead of my arrival via business check,money order or personnal Cheque,so you will get the payment by next week and i can go ahead making arrangement for sending the payment to you, also i will much apprecaite if you can mail your information like,your mailing address ,your full name,your contact number as to appear on the payment. I will like to ship in my car,luggage,laptop and other materials for my research ahead of my arrival...
I will also like you to remove the advert from the site b'cos i am ready to have your place rented.....

Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:22 pm 

I think that it is definitely a scam.... I got the same message as well

I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and i really appreciate the breakdown details of the house, more about me i'm from Maryland Annapolis, MD USA, a quiet,clean,honest,responsible and easy going person to live with, I'm 5"7',straight, 24 years of age. I dont drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play long tennis... i lives here with my Uncle here in MD,my Dad and mom's died when i was young ,roommie i want you to know that i have no friends in the area except you for now lol....I am currently working on a research pertaining to my course work on culture and tourism. I hope to end my current assignment by the end of this month here in Annapolis and focus on my new assingment to your States..
I will like to make a payment of $800 and reserve the room for me before my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date....To be honest with you i really like the kind of person you are from your little description and if you have the picture of the bedroom available, kindly forward it to my mailbox. I am really okay with the place...
I am planning to arrive by the end of this month so i will love to know if i can make the payment ahead of my arrival via business check,money order or personnal Cheque,Bank acctount ...so you will get the payment by next week and i can go ahead making arrangement for sending the payment to you, also i will much apprecaite if you can mail your information like,your mailing address ,your full name,your contact number as to appear on the payment. I will like to ship in my car,luggage,laptop and other materials for my research ahead of my arrival...
Regards.
Sandy