There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Additional Scammer Name Identified - Lisa Wong - 12/3/08
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 am 

Hello Everyone -

I'm sick to my stomach to read that each of you has had the same experience I did this evening.

I am renting two bedrooms in my home. I have ads posted on roommates.com, craigslist.org, etc. I received an e-mail from a Lisa Wong (e-mails: lisawongy@earthlink.net and lisawong25@aol.com) with the following message:

Hello,
Im interested in your room for rent. Im Lisa, 25 years old female, from Malaysia, im a fresh graduate from the Cosmopoint University, im moving into States to start my masters programme and seeking an apartment. please email me back with the following info about your room
1} RENT FEE\MO?
2} MOVE-IN DEPOSIT?
3} ADDRESS OF THE PLACE FOR RENT?
4) WILL YOU TAKE A CASHIERS CHEQUE/MONEY ORDER FOR MOVE-IN DEPOSIT?
5} HOW LONG RENT LEASE DO YOU REQUIRE (6/12 MONTHS)
6) DO YOU HAVE PICTURES? SEND THEM
7) HOW FAR IS THE STORES, BUS-STOP
Pls send your quick reponds to my personal email lisawong25@aol.com, i will be waiting for your responds.

After a few e-mails back and forth (and not knowing the signs of a scam), her brother or uncle (it kept changing) UPS'ed me 4 MoneyGram checks worth $870/each. I asked for 1 month deposit and 1 month rent up front (a total of $1390) and I was sent $3480.

Again, not knowing that this was a scam, I was running around all over town trying to get these checks cashed because it was urgent that I send her the remaining money after I deducted my portion. I also received a phone call from her "brother" insisting I do this quickly because she had to confirm her travel arrangements for this weekend.

Thankfully, I took them to my bank and met one on one with the branch manager who explained to me that the MoneyGram money order checks were fake. She explained to me the color patterns, lack of a signature from the sender and a few other key elements made her question the validity of them. She called to confirm they were legit as well - they were not. She kept the checks and will be reporting the issue. I am so thankful to have a bank that caught this and was able to protect me, but I must admit, I'm livid at this entire situation and I'm posting here so that others can be informed of what steps they should take.

PLEASE...if anything feels weird, unusual or makes you feel a little sick to your stomach about a transaction of any type, work with your bank to ensure you are not being scammed. REPORT IT!!!