Bookmark and Share
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roomate.com scammer - Alice Daniels
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 pm 

BIG SCAM...DON'T FALL FOR IT
I have an add in roommates.com and got this email:

Hello There.
I am Alice Daniels,a young humanitarian officer from US currently based and working here in Canada... i saw your advert on http://www.union.arizona.edu which was introduced to me by an office friend that you have a room for rent, please i would like to know if the room is still available.I'll be traveling down to the states by the end of this month or early next month for my 12 months vacation,I am 29yrs of age and i want to know if the room u advertised is still available.....also i want you to let me know your rent and your mode of payment....i will be looking forward to hear from you soon.Please reply to my personal email below not my office email as i might not get your email faster cux i am off office for my vacation. (alicedaniels2000@yahoo.com )

Alice Daniels.
National Office Oxfam Canada
250 City Centre Avenue,
Suite 400,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 6K7
alicedaniels2000@yahoo.com

I responded telling her that I did not advertise on http://www.union.arizona.edu but on Roommates.com and she responded again:

Am sorry for the mixup...was also checking for available rooms on roommate.com too, i will like to know if the room you posted is available and i will like to know actual amount and you mode of payment as well.Looking forward to reading from you.

Thanks
Alice

She sent another email:

Hello There,

Thanks so much for your response.....This is a little about me.

I am from Canada....but i was given birth to in New York Ny but i have lived in Canada all my life but i am in Canada working so i decided to come over to the states for holiday,I am into Humanitarian Services and i am also a freelance in fashion design...well for now i will be renting the room for about 12 months for now might increase the lease term but for now it is just going to be for 12 months........Well i am coming to the United States to see if i can start something there ok.I am very happy for your reply that shows the kind of person i am renting from....Im really glad to have details
about the room...its just great..its what im looking for...you're God sent...i
am an easy going lady and surely u will enjoy my stay in the states...i really
want to promise u that we ll surely have the best of time..ok....
Well, now that all is set with the room... i would like you to provide me with
your details so that i can pay you in advace and get everything secured before
my arrival to the states..ok? so pls i would like you to send me
Your Full Name:
Address(Street Address,City,State and Zipcode:
and Phone number:
and as soon as i get this, i will have it forwarded to my boss and he would
write you a check and send it to you asap
I Would be waiting to hear from you asap but please send your emails to me at alicedaniels2000@yahoo.com. Looking forward to meeting the dogs...lol

Regards

Alice Daniels.
National Office Oxfam Canada
250 City Centre Avenue,
Suite 400,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 6K7

DUMMY ME...I still did not have a clue...I guess I was excited that I found a person to rent out my room...anyway I got another email.

Hello David..i will make arrangements for the furnishing as soon as payment is made out to you, or you could take me around for the shopping as soon as i get to the states or what do you think?...Also, am comfortable with the price for the room and as soon as i have the details for payment and payment is made, i should be in the states in 2 days, i will be coming by flight so as we havae sealed the room, i will forward you with my flight details so you know the actual time i will be arriving....i also have a MSN messanger..my ID is alicedaniels2000@hotmail.com, you could add me so we can chat better...Thanks alot.

Alice

I still had no clue...it still sounded legitimate...I went on to MSN messenger and started chatting with her...I wanted to get more information from her...the more I chatted with her the more I felt like it was too good to be true and sounded fishy...so I googled roommate scams and found this site...THANK GOD... she still has no clue that I know its a scam...she said that her "boss" will call me tomorrow...yea right.