There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craiglist Rental
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:29 pm 

Hi all--

I just joined the site b/c my husband and I have a funny feeling about an apartment rental that we found on Craiglist.... Here's the story, and let us know if you've had a similar experience! (and I also posted in this in the "in the news" section b/c there was a posting there about an article describing a similar-sounding scam).

We're looking for an apartment in Chicago and found an ad on Craigslist for an amazing sounding place in exactly the neighborhood we wanted for a very good, but believable price. We replied directly to the ad on Craigslist and got a call back in a few days from a man identifying himself as the realtor. He offered to show us the place that evening, and we set up an appointment. He met us there at the specified time and showed us the unit, which was above and beyond what we were hoping for. He explained that the landlord of the unit owned several other units in the building and that she lived in the neighborhood. We were thrilled. We took a rental app, which looked official and had the name of a real estate agency at the top. That night, we faxed over the app and heard back the next morning from the "agent" who said that we were the first applicants and the place would likely be ours, as long as we passed the credit check. He told us that we would have to get him a certified money order for earnest money (equal to one month's rent) which would also count towards our first month's rent, as well as a small fee for a credit check. He also told us that we'd pay the security deposit when we signed the lease.

From the moment I saw the place, I thought that it might be too good to be true... and it seemed strange to me that we needed to provide a money order rather than a standard check. My parents are real estate agents, so I ran the whole thing by them just to be cautious. At first, they assured me that everything seemed okay-- they explained that agents working on rentals receive their commission from the earnest money, and my dad suggested that maybe the agent wanted a certified check so that he wouldn't get scammed with a bounced check. Just to be safe, though, we googled the real estate agency listed on the app and found nothing. Then, she looked up the name of the agent and the company in the MLS (the official listing service of the National Association of Realtors) and there was no listening for either. Beginning to worry, we called the number listed on the app (we had previously contacted the agent on his cell) and we got a voice mail service with several company names, all related to financing. As a precaution, my father decided to come with us to meet with the "agent" on the day we were supposed to provide the earnest money. My dad asked the man if he could see his real estate license, which he had conveniently forgotten. My dad asked why his company didn't have a website, and he explained that he wasn't working fulltime as a broker and that this was only a part time gig. My dad then asked why the man was requiring us to pay in money order rather than standard checks, and he explained that this was required by the state... My father knew from his own work as an agent that this wasn't true. My dad pointed out that his agency never, under any circumstances, required money orders from clients-- and the man explained that this was just his policy and he was inflexible. I then asked if we could have the name of the owner, and the "agent" gave us a name, which was relatively generic. We asked if we could call her then and there, and he agreed to call her and pass us the phone. My dad talked to the "owner" and she was somewhat defensive, but insisted that the deal was legit. She also mentioned that she was in "rehab" and that's why she wasn't present to show the place to perspective tenants. After we hung up, the "agent" referenced the owner again and this time used a slightly different last name (first it was fitzgerald, then fitzpatrick). After all of this, I explained that we were not comfortable putting down earnest money at this time, but that we might be willing to do so if he were able to provide us with credible proof of the deal's legitimacy (e.g. a valid real estate license). We left it that we'd get in touch with him to set up a meeting next week, but, at this point, we're not planning to call back.

I'm not providing the name of the "agent" or company at this point because I'm not 100% sure that this was a scam and I don't want to defame an honest person who just didn't know what he was doing.... But this certainly sounds fishy, doesn't it? I wish there was a way to know for sure b/c part of me is still fantasizing about living in that apartment....

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Rental - Dawn Louise Jamison
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 pm 

Dear all,

find below emails between myself and Dawn Louise Jamison, I ascertain her true intentions..this is for you out there, she is a scam. She is not willing to view the room but yet she wants to make payment and for me to wire it back to a chosen account. I will try and flag her for craiglist users.

sincerely, Jenny

Hi Once Again,

Thanks so much for responding. I must confess I am quite comfortable with the cost and it is okay by me .I will like to make the first month payment ahead of my arrival and the subsequent month will be effected thereafter as I plan to stay for how long the lease is drawn. So i will Contact my Client to see how you'll get aCashier's Check from which I will like you to deduct the fee for the Place and you will help me wire down the balance via western union to a charity home in Holland in care of children with heart related diseases, orphans and the older citizens and the less previledged.I have been committed to them for three years now this is a way of saying I will never forget them wherever life takes me.....and part of the money would be for my flight ticket to The states. I should be arriving Soon all things being Equal if this arrangement is okay by you, also i will be signing leases and applications by then because I can't get any of that done here now. I will now need your FULL NAME, FULL ADDRESS AND CELL PHONE NUMBER so as to prepare the money orders/Cashier's Check. I will also like to know the nearest airport to the house. I will also like to know if you will be available to come pick me up at the airport and show me around or if I should make alternative arrangement. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the Place for me and remove all your the adverts abt the place as I'll love to rent the place.

Now a little more about myself:

Name: Dawn Louise Jamison JNR
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 6' (167cm)
Weight: 122 pounds (55.0 kg)
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Activity Level: Active
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: Single
Children: I have no kids
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Languages I speak: English Spanish
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: Catholic
Grew up in: America
Education: MCSA/MCSE
Annual Income: Over $50,000US
My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese
My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking

I am a very easy going kind of girl, pretty laid back and with a modest sense of humor am 28 yrs old and very much single, the only child of my only parent, my mother alive, I lost my father and my only brother years ago while I was still a kid in an auto accident. I work full time, Monday through Friday and have weekends off except for once a month. I was born and raised in Fort Atkinson Wisconsin, but presently in Holland on a business trip for more than 10 months. It'll be a long dream come true for me when I finally settle in the US.I have chosen your city for a start to my new life in the US.I am easy to get along with and well mannered. I do not use people's items without permission and consideration. Kindly get back to me ASAP cos I need to pay to enable you turn down other interested parties and keep the place for me until I arrive. I am more interested in a long term lease, but still open to any form of lease you want. Am single as I said and I am not attached to anyone at the moment here and do not have anything holding me back since my mom have given me her full support. I do part time modeling call myself an amateur though,LOL,just something I take as a hobby and also I have a masters degree in Computer Science. I am new living all alone as i have lived with my mom alone in the past but I have no doubts in my mind about my ability to live peacefully with as I was raised to be a lover of peace.Well,i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects ones privacy, like I said I don't do drugs or smoke but I drink only occasionally, I strongly believe there will not be any problems living with me as I was raised by strong catholic Christian parents and have imbibed such good qualities from childhood. I will be glad if you have a MSN messenger so we can chat and talk more and get to know each other better, my msn messenger id is D_jamison33 if you have a msn or hotmail account you can add me, or you can set up a hotmail account its free, I will love to see your pictures and also your families and friends pictures if you don't mind and those of the place as well,you can also get to see my picture on Myspace..Click to the link below to see my picture http://www.myspace.com/dawnjamison33 . AM THE ONE ON WHITE TOP. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the place for me and get back to me with your FULL NAME, FULL ADDRESS AND CELL PHONE NUMBER so as to prepare the Cashier's Check. Also please remove all the adverts abt the place as I'll love to rent the place.

I will be looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards to your friends and family

Lots of love

Dawn L Jamison

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:22:21 -0400

To: D_jamison33@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: I NEED A PLACE ASAP

Hello Dawn,

to answer your questions:
i)I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
- the rent for the place is 1200 inclusive of utilities, so I have split it in middle with you.
The landlord pays for the utilities.

ii) I will like to have the description of the Place, size, and the equipments in there.
I am a student and just moved in, so there is a sofa in the sitting room, I will be getting in a bed for my room soon. but your room is empty, for you to furnish as you please.

iii) Also I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.

Sorry no garage, parking is on the streets.

iv) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf cos I read a lot, shoe rank etc

They will fit in your bedroom and you are free to use the living room as well. There is a long corridor in the outside and inside.

v) I will also like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be as a kind of commitment that I am truly coming over and for you to hold the room down for me.

How? do you want to make an advance payment? Am really skeptical and an honest person and would not take your money until we have completed the deal.

vi) If the #5 questions is YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.

- I will accept first month plus a deposit, which is 1200 USD.

vii) I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighborhood. Like shopping mall, bus line e.t.c

Terhune Avenue, Passaic Avenue. google these 2 on google maps, you will get an idea of the area. The bus takes about 10-15 minutes from Journal Square and is number 80. I see a light rails but have not used it before.

I will look for a pic of my self in the next email, should you be a serious contender.Please send a picture if you are a serious contender as well.

Other things, you are allowed a visitor (on short term). Just let me know in advance but not a permanent resident. The Landlord does not approve because he is paying for utilities.

thanks and kind regards,
Jennifer

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Dawn Jamison <miss.sandra34456@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi ,
My name is Dawn Louise Jamison,Please if you don't mind I will like to have answers to the following questions below:
i)I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
ii) I will like to have the description of the Place, size, and the equipments in there.
iii) Also I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.
iv) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf cos I read a lot, shoe rank etc
v) I will also like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be as a kind of commitment that I am truly coming over and for you to hold the room down for me.
vi) If the #5 questions is YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.
vii) I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighborhood. Like shopping mall, bus line e.t.c
LASTLY:I will like to know more about you and also I will like to have your pics as for me to know how you look like.
Here is all I can say about my self for now.

I am 28 years old and I work full time, Monday through Friday and have weekends off except for once a month. I was born and raised in Fort Atkinson Wisconsin, but
presently in Amsterdam Holland on a business trip for more than 10 months..
I am a professional, A Computer Consultant and I deal in various kinds of computer applications and soft wares. I graduated in the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) 4 years ago and I have my B.sc in Computer Science... I am not really a sports person, BUT I do love Hockey Games, I am a very out going person and fun to be with. I do play the organ and piano, and I do have BOTH piano and organ here at my house. I am not a drinker and I don't smoke and I don't do drugs. I would also like to go out with you on weekends and weeknights when I am free. I like going to movies, concerts, plays, I like camping, hiking, bike ridding, swimming, and I love to travel.

I am a very dedicated individual who is totally committed to human development, friendly, very trustworthy and value relationship above anything. I am a laid back person, I love traveling, sporting and Enjoy meeting people around the world. I am an easy going person and look forward to meet kind hearted, loving and caring person that is very responsible and understanding, someone I can really get along with. I will take my time to get you one of my pics in my next mail for you to know how I look like, I am sure you will like me.

I am presently in Amsterdam Holland and I will be moving to USA fully to live for the rest of my life and start a new life and set up my own business as a Computer Consultant ( I have my resume). I will be staying in your Place as long as the lease is drawn.

I should be arriving the state on before June 19th 2008 ......

I need answers to my 8 questions above as soon as possible so as to arrange for you to get the money prior for my arrival to retain and consider the room is mine.. I will be making this advance payment ahead my arrival so that you can be rest assured that this is real since I am not in the state presently. If you think

I will be a good applicant to you and you are interested in renting the place to me

NOTE: Kindly address all emails to me directly to my private email box at D_jamison33@hotmail.com

Thanks and have a good time.

Warmest Regards,

Dawn Louise Jamison

EMAIL:D_jamison33@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Rental
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm 

HI everyone,

I recently just started looking for a place to live. I came across this posting on Craigslist that indeed did sound too good to be true. It was a place in downtown, San Diego in one of the newer condo complexes that offered everything anyone could ever want out of a complex: gym, coffee bar downstairs, pool, tennis court, full internet/cable/phone, all utilities included. I emailed the posting asking for more information. A man by the name of Ethan stated that he was starting a business up in the UK, and will be gone for 5 years, and talked about doing transactions through rent.com and said if I was interested he would send me more information. So, I responded that I was interested, and this is what he replied:

Hello,
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact Rent.com and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from Rent.com shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money, first month rent plus one month security deposit, to a Rent.com account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Rent.com has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.
As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process. The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize Rent.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask Rent.com to return the funds to you.
Though I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Rent.com right away.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards.

Now, I was little concerned about sending my personal information to someone I don't even know. So, my friend researched the safety guidelines on rent.com, and his email fit the perfect match of a fraud email they used in one of their examples of what to look out for!

I am so pissed that there are people out there willing to scam the hard working Americans of this country that keep it running! I hope someone can pass this along, and warn anyone they can that there are renter scams!!

Thank you,

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Rental
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Gwenanne713
can you post the name/email address the scammer was using?

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch