Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scam?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:36 pm 

Let me know what you think?

1st email:

Hi, I am anneking from roommates.com. I have to write you a long message to be more comprehensive. I will like to rent the apartment for both long and short term. I can send you the lease agreement to sign if you are still interested after you must have gotten full understanding about my apartment. I am an interesting person with lots of interests...I write and paint in oils...like to dance and love music of all kinds except for opera...I have a manuscript currently submitted for publishing. I am active in church...though I go to several different churches...Protestant and once in a while a Catholic service thrown in. I prize honesty and am a good communicator...I am loyal and expect similar treatment. I like simple things in life..and I am not materialistic, though I do like quality. I enjoy the outdoors and also enjoy cooking so much. I like conversation...and I love people of all ages. I am enthusiastic about God and I like to share my love of the Lord and prayer with others. I am growing and changing all the time...and I consider myself a life long learner. My parents are english, Dad from Ireland and mum from London,United Kingdom and I have lived 2 years in my apartment but my mum who owns it wanted a lease over it or for me to have a roommate.

The person i seek should ideally be a combination of a clean and tidy, domesticated person, honest and trustworthy, a kindly respectful person, someone truely enjoys living in a luxury executive apartment with another, professional person who may be from anywhere, a nice, respectful, friendly, intelligent, and kindly person.Most importantly, a respectable and health conscious person, who is friendly, open minded, young at heart, who has good sense of humour, modest and sensible, trustworthy fun person. The pictures I have attached in this email is enough describe the look of my apartment.

Below are some details about my apartment and the utilities involved in the rent.

The apartment offers you with 800 sq ft. enough place to live.

2 BR, 2 BA Apartment in an Elegant building. Sits in elegant, gated cul-de-sac complete with community pool, garden and gas grills.

Electronics

Safety box
High speed internet
AIR CONDITIONING mobile system in summer
Alarm radio clock
Phone with prepaid card
Cable TV or satellite with international channels
CD player and tuner
2nd TV set in the apt

Property

Modern building
Lift - elevator
Food shops, cafés and restaurants nearby

Only five minutes or less to the following attractions:

Beverly Center
Famous Ivy Restaurant
Cedar-Sinai Hospital
The Grove
Rodeo Drive
Pacific Design Center
Four Seasons Hotel
Lots of High End Shops along Robertson Blvd.
Casa Armani Shop
Sunset Strip

Kitchen facilities

Iron and iron board
Refrigerator, hot plates, sink
Dishes, glasses, cutlery and utensils
Welcome tea, coffee basket
Coffee machine, teapot, kettle, toaster
Washing machine with dryer
Electric oven
Microwave oven
Dish washer

Bathroom

bathroom and toilet together with shower system
Bathroom with bathtub and / or shower
Hairdryer inclusive

Also Included

Public car park nearby
Private parking space

Sophisticated décor includes stylish paint, brushed nickel bathroom fixtures and designer door handles. Huge two-car, tandem garage with additional storage in large attic. Walking distance to park, minutes to major interstates and mid-town.

My apartment is furnished modern and cosy, you have at your disposal a kitchen with refrigerator and freezer, a big dinning table, complete crockery and backing oven.

In the Price included is also the garage, the usage of the park with all Utilities. The apartment is very quiet and is perfect for you. It is located at 8585 Burton Way, Los Angeles, CA 90048.

Price per month including Utilites is $700 while the refundable security deposit is $1000.

Attached is the picture of my apartment.

Get back to me if you are still interested.

I have some questions. Where will you be moving from, how long do you intend staying with me in my apartment and when do you want to move in.

Regards,
Anne King.

2nd Email:

Hello Arnaud,
How are you doing, I guess you must be sleeping by this time am typing my message. I really enjoy reading your detailed email, it is interesting and straight forward. It shows how rewarding and understanding you are and I think flatmatting with you will be very fine. Well to answer your questions, the rent including utilites is $700 while the deposit is $1000. However, there is no problem with the move-in date but before that I will be very glad if we can follow the procedure of the apartment by lease agreement and if you're ok with the terms and condition therein the lease then you can proceed with reservation of the room.

Such as full names, address and maybe a copy of your passport or driver's licence for identification will be needed for my lawyer to prepare the lease i.e if you are still interested.

I am waiting to read from you as soon possible so that we can move to the next arrangement.

Cheers,
Anne.

3rd email:

Hi Arnaud,
How are you doing today. I just got back from my lawyer with the tenacy agreement form. The lease has been attached to this email and I will like you to read it carefully and print it while you sign where necessary and you scan it and send it back to me. Since you know the exact dates you will be commencing and ending the lease, you are adviced to write it in the space provided on the last page of the lease. Inshort, I want you to complete the last page of the lease agreement, print and get it scanned back to me so that I can have my own copy and can send the lawyers copy to him also. With this I beleive you have everything to come with at the time of moving in.

Also, I will be going for shopping soonest and I will like to get you a new bedspread and curtains. I will like you to give me your bedspread favourite colour and curtains. However, I can come and pick you up at the airport when you get here....you just need to let me know your flight details so that I can make myself available.

I will await your reply.

Cheers,
Anne.

4th Email:

Huh, that mail came in but I forgot to talk about it when I was sending my last mail. Though have got your passport and pictures but I was just able to refer to the lease agreement because I needed to go to work at the time I was sending the mail. Anyway, I have asked my mum about that, if she can allow a month lease at first and she has agreed hoping that you would like my place and will like to stay for as long as you like but she requires a first 3 months payment and the deposit at first because you are an overseas lessee. If it happens you don't like your stay in my apartment after the first month, the 2nd month and the 3rd month rent will be refunded to you with the deposit. I think the lawyer knows about this so just have it in mind that every thing is safe.
Well, to talk about the weather here in L.A . It is very cool and normal here...everything has been going smoothly wih the weather. However, I really like what I read about you and what I saw in your pictures, its unfurtunate for me not have got my pictures scanned already but I am sure you would like my look when you see me. Also about transportation arround here... there are about 3 metro stations available to ease transportation, and a house pick-up taxi call is also available.

I will like to stop here for now as I have to go to bed. I will talk to you later..when I hear from you again.

Take care,
Anne

Last Email:

Arnaud, I really have to thank you for your correspondence. Actually I got the lease filed right away and I have forwarded the lawyer's copy also so I think we are on a safe side now but the lawyer adviced that you reserve the apartment so that other parties won't have the rent before you do. Now I will like you to go ahead and make the deposit and the first 3 month rent to my mother (1000+700x3=$3100). She is the owner of the apartment and so she gets the payments due to this place while the lawyer issue reciepts. I beleive Western Union will be good for transfering the payment to her for quick reservation of the apartment and here is her details below:

Joyce King
364, Horn Lane,
London, W3 0BX
United Kingdom

Kindly make the transfer at any local western union agents arround you and I think you would need to get back to me with some transfer details after the funds must have been transfered so that she can pick up the payment. Such as MTCN, Amount Sent, Sender's Name and Address will be needed for pick up. It is worthwhile you make the payment today or tomorrow so that a reservation can be made for you and a receipt can be issued.

In Addition, there are furnitures already in the apartment but your bedroom will require not much furniture so if you would like to come with furnitures, just come with little so that we won't have jampacked apartment. And like I said, the pictures really show the look of the apartment so just go over it and think of what may be needed. To add more to my profile, I am a tolerance, respectful and accomodative person so I think we will enjoy flatmatting.

I do not have any brothers or sisters. I only have my parents..mom, dad and grandma. Less I forget, I want to introduce the idea of learning french from you during your stay here. Will you teach me?

Lastly, I have deleted my roommate account since you showed interest.

Waiting to read from you so as to reserve the lease.

Take care and God bless you.

Anne King.

The last email made me really suspicious... so I told her that I would pay by bank transfer and not via western union...luckily I have found your forum. I already signed a lease...it seemed correct. Now I am waiting for her answer... but I have lot of doubts. Please let me know what you think about it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:41 pm 

It's definately a S C A M. 8)