ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHECK OUT THE DETAIL IN THIS ONE!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:54 pm 

MAN OH MAN THIS GUY IS A TRY-HARD! WORST OF ALL MY REALETOR TURNED ME ON TO THIS PERSON. CHECK IT OUT..... YUALL THINK THIS IS A SCAM RITE??!!

Hi Russell,
Thanks so much for the mail,I really do appreciate the introductory email. I'll be happy if you can rent out the place to me for long term lease, as i'll love to get a place before my arrival. More about me.....I am a Briton , a biology teacher , divorced male of 31yrs, and educated (undergraduate and post graduate degree), am very active in sport (ski, surf,windsurfing), and very low key and relaxed to live with. I am a non-smoker and don't mind if roommates do, I do not have a pet and don't mind if roommate have. Presently staying @ Suite 3,Seddon House ,Seldon Street,Manchester,M264TF,England,united Kingdom,I have thought of it and i understand that moving to a more civilized area will help... Reference...I worked under my uncle for eight months and he is still running the non government organization,which dealed in projects that involves heart related diseases,I also work as a private tutor...And before that i schooled in Spain before moving down to united kingdom after the death of my dad.... I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldom party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival next month.i will also need to see the pictures... I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furniture,please let me know if there will be room for them?
I don't have a job lined up for me there yet but will look for upon my arrival. Moreover,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over as i plan to arrive by end of next month or first week of September. I will need you to advice me how best i can send payment to you soon as i understand that you agree to accept me in as your roommate,since my uncle who is making the total payment for the first & last month rent plus security deposit and shipping of my car , few furnitures and few ancient art works will be mailing out payment to you via Money Order in one of his business trip abroad to hold the room down for me before my arrival. Should you agree to receive payment via Money order in US dollars,kindly advise me of your full name ,contact address (either work or home address depends on where you assure to receive it in person )and contact telephone #. Please,feel free to ask me any more question as i am very happy to join you and more so, i will love to always get email from you on how the event unfold till my arrival. Thanks,I will appreciate every of your effort to assist me in this traveling plans as i will be very happy to know you more than just roommates when i get there.Am very friendly and generous.
Again,Thanks and best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 pm 

No doubt in my mind!

Post subject: sounds like my scam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:35 pm 

The words are almost the same as my first fake roommate - Clare Waterman. They must have just a few scripts and change the words a bit. Cannot beleive I would ever get involved in this. We all think "It can't happen to me!!"

Post subject: Re: sounds like my scam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

cynergy wrote:
The words are almost the same as my first fake roommate. They must have just a few scripts and change the words a bit.

You got that right! The can send out more emails in a day if they just "copy/paste" the exact same text over and over again!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:02 pm 

Yeah mine was almost word-for-word like yours. diff address, and a woman though.

I got the moneygrams, and working in finance for quite some time I knew they were fake right off the bat. Hit block sender/report phishing button and that's that.

I still have the moneygrams though, it's a nice reminder of what people are capable of... still need that roommate too....

Post subject: Re: CHECK OUT THE DETAIL IN THIS ONE!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:52 pm 

sounds a lot like the scammer who led me on, sorta same story, mailed a check...from a real company, took to bank (came overnight Fed EX) The Bank recognized this as likely a counterfeit check...sent it to their auditing dept. where, to this day (maybe 2 weeks later,,they are still trying to verify..But, this person never asked for any money back from the amt sent, until within the 15 mins it took me to go bank..then had an URGENT request. Shipper needed money out of that amount now, not when stuff arrived, as set up. (sounded odd they would ship COD) Anyway, wanted me to pay shipper then Well I lead "her" to believe the check was deposited (told her to find another way to send money and I would take care of the fees--ie Western Union..anyway..when no reply, I said check deposited and hold for 5 days and would not pay anyone anything until it cleared, which can be much longer..well, about 5 business days later, got an email about concerns over the payment to shipper I needed to take from the "check". Well, I have not responded, since I know its a huge scam..saw same song and dance from another poster here, and it was verbatim (as parts of your posting) the ones I received except "she" was from France...etc.

These people sure need to be caught. But if all I can do is tell every one I meet on a day to day basis of all the scams..even with furniture for sale...(got one on that to...they must have a "mailing list") , then I will sure let them know to beware of all sorts of scams, counterfeit checks, Cashier's Checks (I swear I never knew those could be counterfeited, and of course the dreaded money order...which are so often just flat out stolen.

Glad you knew you were being scammed when you got that bogus M.O. And I like you, still need a roommate.

Trying local paper. even the military base paper...we have a few military bases here. So, Pass on the word to everyone.. and hey HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 am 

Quote:
divorced male of 31yrs

Wow he has been divorced for 31 years. :lol:

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 pm 

Well folks... Thank goodness for the internet! I too needed (and still need) a rmmt ASAP, so said my craigs list posting. I received 2 messages from an Angela Ribery. I thought it sounded okay, and I was telling my sister in-law about the interested candidate. Miss "Ribery" sent me a lengthy email outlining her life. Here's a snippet...okay, all of it...

Thanks so much for replying my email,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have alot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and yourself.
More about me again i am a nurse,26 years old..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in france as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french
I lived almost all my life way in paris before coming down to SD,I am presently in south dakota now (really i know that most renter will love to meet the person renting to before move in)i cant judge myself but i am a Godfearing and straight forward person that respect you and your privacy, I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle after my mum died...she was a nurse before she died,so i knew much about nursing before she died,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs,and we were also in alabama when they had the attack of hurricane katrina (I thought that was in Lousiana)
Ambition and Work:
I was looking to move over to your state, because i understand that i'll be doing good overthere as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live overthere..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires on that now...
Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now.I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent
I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..
With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,but want to secured it now

Its a good thing I googled that name! I've seen so many others who have recieved very similar emails. I am very grateful for all of you who have made your postings about this apparent ongoing attemp to play around with serious people who are trying to do serious business. Im not trying to get caught up in any crap. I just want to find a suitable living mate. Guess I too will have to work locally and place an ad in the local paper. I cant believe that they have been doing this for so long and have responded to so many different people in different places