ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:29 pm 

LOL, We ran an ad on Craigs list and I got a reply from both Katherina Wilson (katewil03@lycos.com) and from Sandra Mantell (sandramantell2@aol.com)

I was suspicious, but I sent a form letter reply to each, and only one responded back to me. I am currently emailing Sandra Mantell, and she is still using the same badly typed letters as have been copied and pasted here, so I won't do the same thing. I'm insisting on a phone call, but havent gotten one.

I agree with PP, let's set her up. Unfortunately she's on her way out of the country again, her uncle is sick again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:05 am 

So mine was from Sara Barry. I did give the perp my name, address and phone number. Not too happy with myself for doing that, but I put an alert on my credit report just in case and sent a comment to the SS about the three email addresses that I received.

The scammer was a 29yr old hottie from the UK working in Africa as a microbiologist/researcher for Solidarites, an International Humanitarian aid group that worked the the World Health Organization. My first suspicion was 'why the middle of Arkansas to help war refugees in hospitals and schools?'

Another strange thing that caught my eye was in the original email it was sent to a different email other than my own.
The first email came as this:
Subject: Roommate
Date: Wed, August 20, 2008 8:07 pm
To: info.johnboydtextiles1837@yahoo.co.uk
Hello There,
I am Sara Barry,im in need of a room to rent.Kindly email me if it is
still available.Plz send your response to my personal email address
(gr8tsarabarry29@gmail.com).I will be looking foward to read back from
you swiftly...
Sara Barry
gr8tsarabarry29@gmail.com

One interesting bit is that john boyd textiles does exist, and was established in 1837, but that's not there email address. I could not find one online, but did not get an undeliverable message after emailing that address to ask of the affiliation with Sara Barry.
It's the same setup, give me your address and my supervisor will send you a check. Just take out your deposit and leave the rest for me upon arrival.

Red flag listing:
'Why is someone going to send $4500 to someone they have never met?'
'Why is an English microbiologist so bad at grammar?'
'How are you getting this Jetta Car(as it was put) to the middle of the US?'
'When I mentioned references why was there no mention in the next email other than 'the check is in the mail'?'
'Why does a microbiologist humanitarian that helps war refugees and villages want to live in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere such as mine that does not have any refugees or hospitals?'
The list goes on...

Anyway, to all of the fools out there like me, watch your back and never trust anyone outside of your inner circle, especially if they are from Nigeria or England with horrible grammar. I'll try to keep you up to date with any further emails. As of now I will await the check and any future emails from the perp. I'll probably frame it or take it to the authorities for Nigerian fingerprinting.....haha.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:27 am 

adams.mary17@yahoo.com is another bad address. "mary" is supposed to be a jewelry maker from Canada with lots of clients in the US but website to conduct business.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:35 pm 

What's the best way of keeping them hanging in the wings?

Today I got another email from my perp, aka Sara Barry. I was told that the payment is on the way and given instructions to immediately go to my BANK (funny how they put that in caps) and Western Union. I told him/her that I do not have a local bank since I recently moved nor Western Union. I asked again for the references and a phone call, but know that won't happen.
I want to string them along as much as possible, and wander who I should contact in the meantime.

Any ideas?
thanks

Here is a copy of the latest email and my reply.

> Hello Matt,
> Good morning.....How are you doing? i hope you're having a wonderful
> time....I'm so glad to inform you that i got a shipper that will be moving
> my things down but unfortunately he insisted on advance payment before
> proceeding with the shipment.....However, i would love to ensure that my
> properties were safely set on deck before coming down...Please be also
> informed that you'll be receiving the payment soon and as soon as you
> received the payment,kindly take it to your BANK to cash and deduct the
> fee for my room ....So, after the deduction,i'll need your assistance in
> sending part of the balance through WESTERN UNION office to my shipper
> asap so that he can proceed with the shipment on time.......I'll provide
> the information that you'll be needing to send the money and the exact
> amount to send later ok.Please i'll like to know the nearest airport to
> the house and if you will be available to come and pick me up at the
> airport or i should make alternative
> arrangement.....Hope to hear from you soon.
> Thanks a bunch and have a good time.
> Respectfully,
> Sara

My REPLY

Hey Sara,

If you show up on the 1st or after I will be able to pick you up at the (airport). Like I said I will be out of town for a few days prior to the 1st, so if it's over the weekend, then I suggest grabbing a hotel.
Just give me a call (let me know if you lost my phone number) and we can work out the payment details as I do not have a local bank and never use Western Union...had a bad experience with them a few years back and they are on my no-go list.

It would be easier for your supervisor to send separate payments...one to me for only the deposit and 1st month's rent ($750), which I'll cash at a Check Cashing facility, and one to your shipper. That way you'll have everything taken care of on your end and I won't have to deal with Western Union, since they just give me the creeps. Plus since I may be out of town when the check arrives I will not be responsible for any delay your end.

I'll be arriving back home on the evening of the 1st and can pick you up any time after that.
Just give me a call before you make any solid plans and don't forget to send your references. I'd hate to have you get here and then I can't let you stay because of false pretences.

Take care

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm 

Does this one sound familiar to anyone? A French girl in South Dakota called Jessicah Moore who's a nurse, who likes to send real FedEx packages and fake FedEX tracking numbers from Arizona.

July 20th, 2008
"
Hello to You,

I read your ad on craigslist.com,and this is why i am getting back to you, i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighboourhood ,the place and the utilities included...?

My name is Jessicah Moore,am Nurse with humanitarian assistance,I will be 28 by the 25th of next month,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,i am presently in south Dakota(U.s) now ,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on the availability of the room,I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french ,i am an interesting person to live with,I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent the particular room that you have to offer

I will be anxiously waiting for your email and i want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent as long as i am okay with the place and people that i'll be living with.

Kind Regards

Jessicah.. "

Then the "Hello Roomie," emails followed. Then for some reason you have someone wanting to send so much money for deposit and for furniture being delivered, yet never wants to call you and speak to you.

Then a package arrives out of nowhere with a check inside. Package sent by Adam under company name Ace Delivery out of Rapid City, South Dakota using FedEx. Check inside from FMC Water Sports Inc out of Portland, Oregon with ink Stamp signature, using Wells Fargo Bank check . Tracking shows package sent from Arizona.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:15 pm 

***Hey! I have just received a check from Jenifer Walcot!
The DHL Express account was from Kevin Miao, and the check was from FMC Water Sports Inc of Portland, Oregon. I felt suspicious and googled her name, and found this site with posts of the same emails I have been receiving. I immediately called Wells Fargo Bank to ask if they could verify whether or not the check was ligitimate.
I spoke to a representative about my situation, and she said she had the same thing happen to her. When she received the check, she took it to the bank and it seemed good; soon after, the person told her that she could no longer move in, and would like for the lady to send back a fair amount of the money. After the lady sent the scammer the money, the original check she had received from the scammer and taken to the bank came back to be fake about a month or 2 later; by that time, it was too late to do anything, and the scammer had made a profit off of her :shock: .
Watch out guys!!!! And thanks to all of those before me who posted about this~ I thought something seemed wierd, but thought I was just being paranoid. Turns out I shoulda gone with my gut!
Also, I gave this girl my Name, Number, and Address- is there anything she can do with only that little of information? Thanks again guys!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:55 pm 

This woman-if it even is a woman-posted an ad on craigslist to rent her apartment out. The apartment is in Murray Hill in Manhattan, which is not a cheap place to live. When I saw the ad, I figured it was too good to be true, but I sent an email anyway. Here was her response:

"Thank you for the information's about yourself. All I can tell you this is a great location. Like I have informed you before, the price you have to pay for one month of rent will be $1,300.00 with no extra fees you will have access to all facilities provide by the building. The utility bills are paid directly from my bank account. The price will not increase monthly; it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for. We can start with a basic 1 year contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you.
About the payment, I would like to receive it monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it. The apartment is ready for you, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. The apt will be furnished but it can be rented very easily without the furniture.
Since I'm London we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allows you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys, and through this way you will see it and decide if you like it or not, before sending the payment. Please click on the link bellow to the TNT web site to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the web site of the company where this procedure is explained:

http://www.tnt.com/country/en_generic/s ... tical.html

If you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you with the steps on how this service works and how we can make it happen securely. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service the first month of rent $1,300.00 so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract. Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this will work .
1 - To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full address and a phone number to proceed with this deal.
2 - I will go to the TNT Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
5 - At this point you will have to go to a Money Gram office Location and make a money deposit on the TNT payment agent name for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is for the first month of rent .
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the info about the money deposit to TNT (Reference Number, sender's name and address)
7 - TNT will verify the payment information's and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
8 - After you receive the package, you will have 2 days to inform TNT if you will rent the apt. If the place is what you are looking for the payment will be forward to me by the agent assigned for the transaction. If by any chance you don't like the place we will have to cancel the contract and you will get a full refund of your payment.
I will pay the TNT Service for the shipping and you will pay Money Gram for the Money Transfer fee. Let me know if this service is comfortable for you and if you are ready to proceed.

Thank you for your interest,

Miranda Simons"

SO...I sent a response to this reply, and guess what I got back? The exact same email!!! I'm sure that's not the person's real name, but I feel that I should call the apartment complex and let them know that someone is using their name in trying to scam people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:58 pm 

By the way...her email address is miranda21sms@aol.com.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 am 

Thanks for all the postings. Just got this...

Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:06 AM

Good day,
I read your ad craigslist that you have a place for rent,and this is why i am getting back to you, i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighbourhood ,the place and the utilities included...
My name is Nicole Wayne,am a Nurse , am 27 years old this year,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"6' straight,i am presently in south Dakota now ,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on the availability of the room,I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french ,i am an interesting person to live with,I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent the particular room that you have to offer .
And interested inthe room,pls i would love to see (more)picture of the room if its available,I will be anxiously waiting for your email and i want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent is not a problem as long as i am okay with the place and people that i'll be living with.
espérons recevoir de vos nouvelles très bientôt.
Au revoir
Kind Regards,

miss Nicole Wayne.

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam...Katherine Williams "katewille11@aol.com"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 am 

This person is clearly attempting some type of scam. Responded to my craigslist ad for roommate and purported to be from France, living in SD with the same MO with moving furniture, car, kitchen utensils, etc.
Dont know what her angle is but she/he sent some type of glamour pic of a gorgeous blond claiming to be her.
Also had a sick uncle in France she had to go see before moving in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:58 pm 

I got the same message from Miss Nicole Wayne (misspavezwaynex@aol.com). I knew right away something was up, but kept trying to give this person the benefit of the doubt. Kept asking for a phone number or to have them call me. Excuses, excuses. I wrote an email to the "landlord reference" (akaicarsson@aol.com, "Mr Akai") after he/she/whomever asked for my work address in order to send a money order and I only got a response after I wrote to "Nicole Wayne" and told her I was waiting to hear from them.

The difference is, in my email, the pictures were of a brunette with bright red lipstick.

I am so glad I found this site (simply from doing a search of the "landlord's" email address) because I was telling myself not to be so crazy and untrusting... but I KNEW something wasn't right!

(Also, it seems several people here listed properties in Boston, myself included... where else are they targeting?)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:09 pm 

we are the only ones to blame when some one pulls a scam on us, this lady contacted me, the only thing i have done was type her name and this came up, thanks to you people i pulled away on time, so i urge every one to investigate before falling to this kind of scams, i am not talking about money here, i am talking about people that the only way of leaving its making money no matter the consecuence, they have no feeling and have no problem finishing some ones live for a dollar so lets be smart, investigate before going ahead amd make a mistake, i have been scam by several ladys i will write their names heres and hoplefully prevent some one to make the same mistake,, Aliria Montagoth (barranquilla colombia), sandra mantell ( usa passport 100003106), jenny correa ( miami florida Colombian) , Kelly Jimeno ( barranquilla colombia), Nilibeth santana (venezolan with spain passport),

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:04 pm 

I just started goin thru the process with subleasing my place to Cassandra Sanchez! Damn it, I thought I had found someone to rent my place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 am 

Here is someone trying to scam me, thankfully I typed in her message in French after not finding her on google or facebook:

From: "hopeofyears@aol.com" <hopeofyears@aol.com>Add sender to Contacts To: hous-850497250@craigslist.org** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Good day,
I read your ad craigslist that you have a place for rent,and this is why i am getting back to you, i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighbourhood ,the place and the utilities included...
My name is Angeline Ribery,am a Nurse , am 27 years old this year,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"6' straight,i am presently in south Dakota now ,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on the availability of the room,I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french ,i am an interesting person to live with,I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent the particular room that you have to offer .
And interested inthe room,pls i would love to see (more)picture of the room if its available,I will be anxiously waiting for your email and i want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent is not a problem as long as i am okay with the place and people that i'll be living with.
espérons recevoir de vos nouvelles très bientôt.
Au revoir
Kind Regards,

miss Angeline Ribery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 am 

AND JENNIFER WALCOT STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!

Hi there
I am jenifer I'm replying to your ad on craigslist and
I'd like to know if the place is still available.Also let me know the neighboourhood and the utilities included in the place

A liittle about my personalty. I am 28 year old,5"7' straight,single and nice,I'll love to live
with clean,caring and responsible people.I am presently in south-Dakota,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on
the availability of the room.Just so you know,I am french but I do speak english the best way i can so pls pardon my mistakes
I am serious about renting and I will make sure I pay my rent before due.

Kind Regards
Jenifer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next